• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

The game is starting to piss me off! Right now I'm fighting Beelzabab but he keeps slaughtering me, my MC is at level 86 and I also have Alice with salvation and all her other skills unlocked, she's level 80 :(

Mr. Fix

Just saw this on twitter:

BTZvDxwCAAASPU4.png

BTZulH1CQAEGjj0.png

WTF

God DAMN.Also, which demon is this?

PK Gaming

Game is a lot more fun for me when I'm not trying to recruit demons, I've decided. I still have to, but it isn't as fun that way because recruiting demons is a horrible and stupid process that I hate hate hate really really hard.

Once you get to a certain point in the game(I think around the time when you first enter tokyo), you never have to recruit demons again. You can improve your party through fusion alone. In this game, you can use the demons in your compendium to fuse demons (for a price). It might not be a viable option now, but eventually you'll never have to deal with it. (Or you'll get strong enough to the point where messing up won't kill you)

Mr. Fix

The demon is Moh Shuvuu and the attack "Riot Gun".

The guy seems to be a big fan of that demon. He gave all the incenses he grinded to her.

I figured it'd be a high level demon, such dedication! Now if only I could make a Yoshitsune like that. But I dream..

eBay takes 10%, and PayPal takes 2.9% + $0.30.

Thank you!

So I feel like I might of messed up my Demon Summoning Book. I looked around didn't see anything really on it. When is the best time to update your demons? I thought about it after I already did it but I updated them after they received the last of their spells, so now when I re-summon them I won't be able to do the demon whisper right?

If that makes some kind of sense.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
So, I'm obviously near or at the (neutral) end (I think). But, I'm stuck in a certain forest, and I'm starting to wonder if its a game glitch.
I'm in the monochrome forest. I'm on Trail D, Burroughs tells me there's a strong Demon nearby. I find a hole with an exclamation mark over it - but that's it; I can't seem to jump into it; there's no other prompt at all, and Trail D is the only trail I've come across with a similar hole. I've cleared all other barriers on the other trails to. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Soulhouf

I can't imagine horde or fiend hunting for that long without slitting my wrists.

I figured it'd be a high level demon, such dedication! Now if only I could make a Yoshitsune like that. But I dream..

I asked that Japanese guy and he told me that he grinded the incenses from Red Rider.
He was kind enough to draw a flow chart for me to explain how he was doing it.
I share it here for those who are interested:

807158343.jpg

He told me that he loves the concept of the fiends and many players in Japan are like him. No wonder that Atlus put that mechanic in the game. There are a lot of crazy people there.

Interesting enough, he told me that the fiends were in SMT1,2 and if... as well and the chance to encounter them was 1/256. I played these games many times and never came across any fiend, so, until now I never knew they were there.
Basically what Atlus did is a continuation to these games. Nocturne was an oddity in that regard.

So, I'm obviously near or at the (neutral) end (I think). But, I'm stuck in a certain forest, and I'm starting to wonder if its a game glitch.
I'm in the monochrome forest. I'm on Trail D, Burroughs tells me there's a strong Demon nearby. I find a hole with an exclamation mark over it - but that's it; I can't seem to jump into it; there's no other prompt at all, and Trail D is the only trail I've come across with a similar hole. I've cleared all other barriers on the other trails to. Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Press down (D-pad).

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Well, I'll be; I can't ever recall having to do that (but I must have - I've been playing off and on since the games initial release, so who knows what I forget to do) but it worked! Thanks!

Anyone else love the boss song of the final dlc? It adds a touch of finality to the game, as if saying "This is it, this is the final and ultimate battle."

Andrew J.

Clipped Wings 2:

Little dicier than 1. Some of my demons got killed, mostly because of Michael's one guaranteed 666 damage attack. Fortunately I have a deep roster. I just kept demons who reflected their elemental attacks in the party and kept up healing and damage.

Caladrius

Anyone else love the boss song of the final dlc? It adds a touch of finality to the game, as if saying "This is it, this is the final and ultimate battle."

It was decent, I would have liked something more majestic, like the archangels' theme, but considering It's
a tense race against time
it works pretty well.

CSX

I asked that Japanese guy and he told me that he grinded the incenses from Red Rider.
He was kind enough to draw a flow chart for me to explain how he was doing it.
I share it here for those who are interested:

807158343.jpg

He told me that he loves the concept of the fiends and many players in Japan are like him. No wonder that Atlus put that mechanic in the game. There are a lot of crazy people there.

Interesting enough, he told me that the fiends were in SMT1,2 and if... as well and the chance to encounter them was 1/256. I played these games many times and never came across any fiend, so, until now I never knew they were there.
Basically what Atlus did is a continuation to these games. Nocturne was an oddity in that regard.

Press down (D-pad).

thats some nice handwriting. Beats my chicken scratch

But still , giving all his incense to one demon instead of himself? Crazy

Andrew J.

That Moh Shuvuu reminds me of the "Ultimate Hua Po" a guy I know on the Penny Arcade Forums made in Strange Journey. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Quick questions guys, I am half way through the game now but I plan on playing it another 2 times to get all the endings. On what play through should I do all the side quests as I don't wanna have to do them every time I try complete the game, also when you complete the game does your demon compendium transfer over and if not would I be better filling it on my last playthrough?

Mr. Fix

Quick questions guys, I am half way through the game now but I plan on playing it another 2 times to get all the endings. On what play through should I do all the side quests as I don't wanna have to do them every time I try complete the game, also when you complete the game does your demon compendium transfer over and if not would I be better filling it on my last playthrough?

The compendium does transfer over.

I'm saving mine for the 3rd (neutral). My plan is:

- Law
- Get Law exclusive demons before beating the final boss

- Chaos
- Get Chaos (and Chaos New game +[some you can't get if you're starting off on Chaos]) exclusive demons

- Neutral
- Clean up the other New game + demons (you could get these during you're first NG+ file, but I'd rather save it for the end) as well as any Neutral exclusive demons
- Side quests

If you want to zoom through your 2nd run, I'd recommend keeping you're level, money, and all the extras. Restart on your third if you want to re-spec. Also, be sure to snag the ending-exclusive demons if you want to fully fill up your compendium.

So any tips for defeating the boss behind a door after some burning stuff and a forest? The team I'm using is: Jueyuan (Healing), Leanan Sidhe (Decent HP and Spells), and Strigoii (Bufu)

Edit: Befriended some new monsters and fused a Naga! Time to grind them up a few levels.

Caladrius

So any tips for defeating the boss behind a door after some burning stuff and a forest? The team I'm using is: Jueyuan (Healing), Leanan Sidhe (Decent HP and Spells), and Strigoii (Bufu)

Edit: Befriended some new monsters and fused a Naga! Time to grind them up a few levels.

If it's who I think you're talking about
The Minotaur
, then you're going to need
rakukaja, sukukaja and tarunda spells to make sure you can survive his attacks, and make sure your team has at least 2-3 Ice users,

If it's who I think you're talking about
The Minotaur
, then you're going to need
rakukaja, sukukaja and tarunda spells to make sure you can survive his attacks, and make sure your team has at least 2-3 Ice users,

All of my demons and I use Ice spells. Thank you for the tips.

Also how much does +1 and ect help a skill?

Sinistral

So I'm nearing the end. Will probably finish my first play through within the next couple days. My question is... Is it worth playing through again? Is there some revelation the people experience that gets this game high praise?

I'm not enjoying the game as I did when I first started and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. It started out with a decent story and presentation, great concept and intriguing combat systems. I can appreciate getting SMT'd, forcing a rework of strategy.

Then, it fell into monotonous grind with a lack luster story. Characters and a world that do little for me. Fetch quests and nothing memorable along the road.

The same thing happened to Fire Emblem: Awakening. Great start, lost steam at the end. Less so for that game but once I beat it I see little to no reason to replay it.

I love rpgs, of all variants, but these two just aren't doing it for me. They both seem shallow, especially on the story side. I think that is what's bothering me the most. I have 999 and Persona 4: Golden next on my list to play that comes highly recommended on GAF.

Thinking of trading these (SMT:IV, FE:A) in.

NeonZ

As far as Fire Emblem goes, the main story is pretty basic, and the presentation takes a hit after the first third of the game, with shorter story sequences and such. Most people who praise the story are actually talking about the support conversations and interactions between the cast there, not the main story.

SMT 4 is another matter. After you get to Tokyo, a lot of the information about the story and setting is only obtained by talking with random npcs. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, it can seem pretty bland. For the final part of the game, after the alignment lock, all paths have incomplete stories - neutral reveals the truth about some early foreshadowing, but has nothing about the law and chaos factions and the characters in them aside from telling you to go beat them. Law and chaos basically only cover their own factions, with events about the other one only briefly mentioned by the npcs... (and there's also a fourth ending which is much shorter and incomplete than all other ones). So, it depends on how you like to play and how much you're enjoying the game. If that kind of thing doesn't sound worth another playthrough, then don't do it.

Caladrius

Occult Flash or Hades Blast?
Hades Blast doesn't seem to do much more damage than Occult Flash.

I can't decide...

Is this for bosses or mooks? If it's bosses milk the extra damage for all it's worth. Occult flash otherwise. I personally use Titanomachia for the crit chance but me and my optimized demons have very high agility. (150+ minimum)

Soulhouf

Is this for bosses or mooks? If it's bosses milk the extra damage for all it's worth. Occult flash otherwise. I personally use Titanomachia for the crit chance but me and my optimized demons have very high agility. (150+ minimum)

Essentially for mooks.
I have my Ace Bazooka and Desperate Hits for bosses. My luck is over 330 at this point so I'm having critical hits all the time.

Anyway, I did some comparisons and even the raw damage doesn't justify the additional cost, especially when Occult Flash has the instant kill effect.
So, I kept Occult Flash as the best physical attack skill.

Can anyone tell me the key to earning easy macca in this game I am on the mission were I need like 100,000 macca for the
Platinum card quest in Ginza
. It's really annoying as I spent all my remaining macca on an outfit and I don't wanna sell any of my items as I am a hoarder.

Caladrius

Can anyone tell me the key to earning easy macca in this game I am on the mission were I need like 100,000 macca for the
Platinum card quest in Ginza
. It's really annoying as I spent all my remaining macca on an outfit and I don't wanna sell any of my items as I am a hoarder.

If you completed the
Amaterasu
quest where you
had to collect the imperial treasures of Japan (they're 3 items with purely japanese names.
) You can access the southern portions of tokyo that have high level enemies. Mug 'em with bind+fundraiser. It's still slow but it works better than most other methods.

No problem

The whisper upgrades' effects depend on the level it's at and what skill it is. There's an incomplete list of effects here.

The bars that go across multiple upgrades, is that +5 heal for each time you receive another whisper for the skill?

Wow that looks very confusing I will take a look at it. And I don't think I will be buying the other Pre Order DLC's because they are going for 20 dollars. . . . I think I might give mine away instead of selling it.

Edit: I wanted to share what someone shared with me http://erikku.github.io/smt4tool/

sgt jumpy

Banned
I'm digging the music and atmosphere, but I only just started the game. I finished the first training task with ease, on task two and I only get demons in pairs and they wreck me.havent won a single fight!

Guys, l need some help.

So I abruptly beat the game yesterday and got an ending where
the world just disintegrated
. l said "fuck that", reloaded my file, and selected the other choice.

Now, the
White
are pissed at me and l'm fighting them now. The fourth guy is who l'm having trouble with. I do well up until he does like two back to back almighty attacks on me, then a physical attack. These attacks in succession pretty much wipe me out.

So... is there anyway to deflect almighty attacks? What's a good strategy to defeating this guy?

Caladrius

Guys, l need some help.

So I abruptly beat the game yesterday and got an ending where the world just disintegrated. l said "fuck that", reloaded my file, bnd selected the other choice.

Now, the
White
are pissed at me and l'm fighting them now. The fourth guy is who l'm having trouble with. I do well up until he does like two back to back almighty attacks on me, then a physical attack. These attacks in succession pretty much wipe me out.

So... is there anyway to deflect almighty attacks? What's a good strategy to defeating this guy?

Almighty attacks are unfortunately unblockable, you're going to have to absorb the damage Are you using defensive buffs and attack debuffs? If you're still having trouble even with those in play I suggest you fuse and level up a Thoth, who gets doping at level 33. (A lot of his combinations involve divine or Megami race demons, if that helps.) Nebiros also nulls phys, which is useful for chewing up its press turns.

l'm buffing as best l can. l can't get any press turns against him so one turn has to automatically go to tetrakarn.

EDIT: Finally just beat his bitch ass!

randomkid

Reading through the thread, it's nice how even though it seems like certain strategies are nobrainers, the game still provides flexibility for different approaches. I never once used Tetrakarn, Marakarn, Doping, Charge or Concentrate and still managed to cakewalk through everything post-Shinjuku. Buffs and demon variety, that's my route.

CSX

Beat the final DLC boss

This was my strat

Team Uriel/Metatron/Michael

Uriel has Dark Energy + Charge + kannuki throw
MC had Antichiotin + Luster Candy
Metatron had Luster Candy + Doping
Michael had Archangel's law

Basically MC and Metatron were buffing and debuffing. Uriel was charging all day. Michael was sitting around waiting for Uriel to fully charge so he can use Archangel's law on him for a smirked full charged Kannuki throw

No problem

The whisper upgrades' effects depend on the level it's at and what skill it is. There's an incomplete list of effects here.

Thank you I didn't realize the Buffs were so necessary in SMT. I just got to "Sky" and then I had to quit playing for abit but I'm back on it again. So addicting.

Stopped playing this for around a month, digging back into it right now. Pretty stoked, hope it can keep my attention >.<

Edit: Just played for 3 hours straight, suuuch a fun game

Soulhouf

Fiend hunting so far:
Code:
Matador     &#9745;
White Rider &#9723;
Red Rider   &#9723;
Black Rider &#9745;
Pale Rider  &#9723;
Trumpeter   &#9723;
Chemtrail   &#9723;

I wasn't happy after seeing Black Rider destroying my ~200.000 macca :(

It's pretty fun and challenging actually.

sgt jumpy

Banned
I'm about three and a half hours in, on the mission to find Navarre's punk-ass. Digging the game, it's right up my alley(this is my first SMT game eva). Only lvl 7, I think I want to get another level or two under my belt before going to the Naraku 3rd stratum. Damn, if you don't stay topped off with health, your party can be taken out pretty quick. Making dat press turn icon gleam is so satisfying.

Ok, need help again. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

It seems as though I'm locked in neutral. I defeated the White. I'm back in regular Tokyo. Isabeau just rejoined me as Jonathan and Walter are missing.

I resurface in Kasumigaseki and have no idea where to go. I'm sure I was told, but I forgot. And the quest log shows no active quests aside from 'activate all the terminals'.

Help?

Caladrius

Ok, need help again. Where the hell am I supposed to go?

It seems as though I'm locked in neutral. I defeated the White. I'm back in regular Tokyo. Isabeau just rejoined me as Jonathan and Walter are missing.

I resurface in Kasumigaseki and have no idea where to go. I'm sure I was told, but I forgot. And the quest log shows no active quests aside from 'activate all the terminals'.

Help?

Go to the Florida bar in Shinjuku, Fujiwara and Skins will tell you to head to Ginza's rubble pile in the surface street. after that you'll receive the quest to reach #1 in the hunter ranks. There are a set of required quests that you need to do in order to move forward.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/66894570

The
Resurrection of the Kosoushin
quest has to be found through demon negotiation. Some of the others in that list also have prerequisite quests, and you'll need to get access to Ginza's shopping district for one of them.(which requires 150,000 Macca.)

Once you actually get to #1, take a victory lap around all of the underground districts (including Ikebukuro) to finish up and head back to Ginza's rubble pile.

NEO0MJ

So I just started this game, but I feel so week, I die in two/three hits and take a long time killing stronger monsters. I'm at the quest where
We're looking for Navarre and am at the second fight with the hooded man where Jonathan helps you.

Any tips for how to progress in the game?

Jisgsaw

So I just started this game, but I feel so week, I die in two/three hits and take a long time killing stronger monsters. I'm at the quest where
We're looking for Navarre and am at the second fight with the hooded man where Jonathan helps you.

Any tips for how to progress in the game?

Hold on tight for a few more hours, keep fusing, and the games becomes a LOT easier after three more bosses.

(If on any chance you are new in SMTs: buff/debuff is the key word (with elemental affinities of course). Hold on tight on Rakukaja/tarunda/war cry till you have luster candy/debilitate)

Top Bottom