• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I bought the game at launch , played it for 70 hours and then stopped, last night i tried to get into it again,but before i go on, i wanna know how far i am to the part when the ending its decided, i want to get the neutral ending.

I just got back to Mikado after capturing the Black Samurai

Celegus

Ended up getting the Neutral ending (no guide or anything) and kind of wish I'd gotten one of the others instead. Looking through stuff now, it looks like the neutral path is way longer than the others... and the stuff at the end just wasn't that fun to me. I'm also a sucker for unhappy endings, so I'm bummed I got the "good" one. Amazing game, but the ending (especially after all that extra work) was pretty underwhelming to me.

Soulhouf

I bought the game at launch , played it for 70 hours and then stopped, last night i tried to get into it again,but before i go on, i wanna know how far i am to the part when the ending its decided, i want to get the neutral ending.

I just got back to Mikado after capturing the Black Samurai

You're about 60%.

I finally bought this game the other day when the sale was extended. I haven't opened it yet, and I saw some negative posts here. I saw it got very positive reviews on Metacritic in general though, so I'm wondering if it's worth playing anyway. I am tired of feeling like games become tedious if the battle system doesn't keep my attention, or I can't figure out where to go next. the 2D battle view is fine for EO, but I had expected this game to be in 3D. I did play through Nocturne and persona three and four. And Devil Survivor. Those are the SMT games I played all the way to the end.

Soulhouf

I finally bought this game the other day when the sale was extended. I haven't opened it yet, and I saw some negative posts here. I saw it got very positive reviews on Metacritic in general though, so I'm wondering if it's worth playing anyway. I am tired of feeling like games become tedious if the battle system doesn't keep my attention, or I can't figure out where to go next. the 2D battle view is fine for EO, but I had expected this game to be in 3D. I did play through Nocturne and persona three and four. And Devil Survivor. Those are the SMT games I played all the way to the end.

If you enjoyed Etrian Odyssey and SMTIII, you'll love this one.
This is a worthy successor to the series, there is no doubt about it.

Celegus

The best advice I can give is to not feel bad about looking up where to go or how to get to a certain area. Or at the very least find yourself a real-world map of the different districts of Tokyo. The in-game map is basically non-existant, and it has a bad habit of not even giving you a hint of where to go next at certain parts.

That said, this was my second favorite game of the year. I had a few issues with it, but sheer craziness of everything more than makes up for it. I found the battles to be fun throughout, though the overall difficulty definitely gets easier as you progress.

Reverse question: Is Nocturne still worth going back to? I don't suppose they ever added onto PSN did they?

Soulhouf

Reverse question: Is Nocturne still worth going back to? I don't suppose they ever added onto PSN did they?

Absolutely. It didn't age well and its 3D looks mediocre nowadays but everything else is first class.
It has never been added to the PSN, but if it will one of these days, it will very likely be the rerelease that Japan got in Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. King Abaddon+ since Dante's license likely expired.

Bought this when it was on sale and have been playing on and off with other games. Took me a it to get past the difficulty and dying so fast, but now all I've done is grind and fuse demons for 6 hours, still in Naraku. Should I leave fusion for later, or knock out as much as possible before rescuing Navarre?

NeonZ

Bought this when it was on sale and have been playing on and off with other games. Took me a it to get past the difficulty and dying so fast, but now all I've done is grind and fuse demons for 6 hours, still in Naraku. Should I leave fusion for later, or knock out as much as possible before rescuing Navarre?

Nah, it's a good idea to keep fusing. The demons generally don't level up fast enough to keep up with your main character.

On the other hand, there are some demons that can be useful even while a bit underleveled. Early game, I kept a Lham Dearg around due to him having resistance to phys and gun attacks (although he's weak to Ice, so he's pretty useless in that one horde battle from the beginning).

Celegus

I really don't recall ever grinding much in this game, just fuse fuse fuse! I only leveled up demons that had a skill I wanted for MC, the rest were just fusion fodder, and tried to keep around the demons with the best resistances (or rather, least amount of weaknesses)

cj_iwakura

Reached 55. I've been doing a lot of scouring, and this is what I've come up with.

Let me know if I'm missing anything obvious.

• Archangel Battle
  • Battle Results
  • Blasted Tokyo
  • Boss Battle
  • Boss Battle 2
  • Camp Ichigaya
  • Cathedral of Shadows App
  • DLC Battle Theme
  • DLC Menu (Arcade Street from SMT1)
  • Ginza - Members Only Club
  • Hallucination I (SMT1)
  • Hallucination II (SMTII)
  • Hunter Association
  • Ikebukuro
  • Infernal Kasumigeki
  • Inheritance
  • [*]Kagome Tower
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Midboss Battle
    [*]Midtown
    [*]Mikado Battle
    [*]Mikado Town
    [*]Mission (Demon Hunt)
    [*]Mission (Item Hunt)
    [*]Naraku
    [*]Nothingness
    [*]Overture
    [*]Passage of Ethics
    [*]Pluto Castle
    [*]Prelude I
    [*]Prelude II
    [*]Prelude III
    [*]Purgatorium
    [*]Quest Boss
    [*]Reincarnation
    [*]Reverse Hills
    [*]Roppongi Field
    [*]Reverse Hills
    [*]SDDS IV (Main Theme)
    [*]Shibuya Underground
    [*]Shinjuku
    [*]Streetpass
    [*]The Black Market
    [*]Theme of Chaos
    [*]Theme of Law
    [*]Tokyo Battle
    [*]Tokyo Overworld
    [*]The White
    [*]Terminal
    [*]Tsukiju Hongwanji
    [*]VR Battle
    [*]Yaesu Passage
Spoiler tracks:
Isabeau Battle, Lucifer 1 & 2, Lucifer's Palace, and Merkabah 1 & 2.

Soulhouf

The final DLC battle has a unique theme and the Fiends have a new remix of the old battle theme.

I'm curious. How are you recording the music and getting the track's names?

cj_iwakura

The final DLC battle has a unique theme and the Fiends have a new remix of the old battle theme.

I'm curious. How are you recording the music and getting the track's names?

Yeah, I have to find that one. I'm aware of Fiends, too, but it's eluding me.

I'm going by the youtube uploads for titles, mostly. If it seems accurate, I keep it. I updated a couple though, i.e. 'Jakyou' App to Cathedral of Shadows.

CorvoSol

I can't beat bird-cage-head-man in the nat'l park. I was told to level up magic and that's what I have and he has no weakness to it and kills my party in 1 turn.

WHAT DO

NeonZ

I can't beat bird-cage-head-man in the nat'l park. I was told to level up magic and that's what I have and he has no weakness to it and kills my party in 1 turn.

WHAT DO

Fuse demons with Buffs and Debuffs, especially the attack and defense ones - Rakujaka to boost your defense, Tarunda to decrease the enemy's attack. Also, a demon or armor with resistance to physical attacks would be very useful in that battle, but I can't remember if there are any easy to get or fuse at that point. Also, keep in mind that the boss you're facing (Balor) is resistant to force attacks and immune to fire.

Majestad

Banned
Get a whole team with bufu, and make a demon pass that skill to you. You'll tear Minotaur a new one.

As soon as you are done with him, I recommend start looking for demons with zan ;)

Kenka

Get a whole team with bufu, and make a demon pass that skill to you. You'll tear Minotaur a new one.

As soon as you are done with him, I recommend start looking for demons with zan ;)
Got über lucky : while fusing two monsters to get one with native Zanma, I got a lvl 21 monster. I can't express how awesome it felt on the moment.

Soulhouf

I just started the Japanese version and holy shit, Burroughs' voice is something else in this version. It makes me almost like the character now o_O

Great, I'm stuck in SMTIV loop again now -_-

So just wondering, is there a top that matches the White King leg armors?

I got it from a quest reward ways back and it would like to wear it but it would kill me if I didn't match.

Soulhouf

So just wondering, is there a top that matches the White King leg armors?

I got it from a quest reward ways back and it would like to wear it but it would kill me if I didn't match.

Yes. There are a full set that you can purchase if you follow the law/neutral route.

cj_iwakura

Please do :D

I would love an OST...dat Tokyo overworld theme :3

It's done. 64 tracks. Even edited down Fiend and
Masakados'
theme.

At worst I'm maybe missing three-four tracks, but this is pretty damn comprehensive.

Also...

JCY49Fy.jpg

Oh. A Hunter.

I've put in about 63 hours in the game so far, and I just reached the point after your second big choice and its consequence. Tokyo is
a barren wasteland. I went with Walter and pressed the button. I actually stared at the choices and thought, "Fuck, fuck, fuck... do I do it? Am I really gonna do it?" Tayama pleading in the background was a nice touch, too
. I just beat
Pluto. What a great fight
. It probably gave me the most problems so far; I definitely had to quit and reload about three times because I'm dumb.

This is definitely my favorite SMT title. I've had Nocturne since the year it came out, and I've tried to play it four times but always drop it. I didn't get too far in Strange Journey, either. SMTIV, though... wow, what a game. There's just something about it that's very addictive that Nocturne and Strange Journey failed to achieve with me, which is weird because they're not TOO different from IV.

I just love the presentation, setting, localization, subject matter and, most importantly, the way they've streamlined IV without making it a bad thing. I appreciate being able to see what skills actually are when trying to get rid of one, and being able to allow my demon to change a skill and KNOWING which one they'll change (these comparisons are with my time with Nocturne). Just these small touches alone elevate it above the other entries for me. Also, the big one: save-anywhere functionality.

I have been hooked since I bought it a while back. I wouldn't say I'm grinding, but I love battles so much that I've been doing a lot of them.

I'll take a pic of my current team later <3 I've been enjoying snapping pics of non-spoiler/funny stuff with my phone and putting them up on Instagram. There are some gems I'm glad I could capture. Anyway, this was the last pic of my team I took a while back (I rotate Persephone for boss fights).

I feel like I'm covered in this game, except for no ailment-recovery abilities. I'm a glass cannon of sorts. I LOVE magic-focused everything. It's also a tradition of mine to give my Protagonist ice abilities. I feel OP, but I still get shit on/SMT'd with some bosses if I'm not careful.

A typical boss fight: Makarakarn -> Tetrakarn -> Concentrate -> whatever debuff I have left -> wait to see what the boss uses, then take a guess at weaknesses. Fun times. This actually worked against me in the boss fight I mentioned above! I loved that. No joke!

ALSO: THE FUCKING MUSIC. I can't wait until I beat it so I can YouTube the tracks I like.

RDreamer

3DS was on sale today at target so I picked it up along with this as my first ever 3DS game. Loving it so far. The tone seems pretty balanced so far, and I'm intrigued to see where the story goes. The fusion and battle systems are as addictive as they ever were in previous games. I'm loving the art and how it all looks on the 3DS XL. gorgeous stuff.

Soulhouf

It's done. 64 tracks. Even edited down Fiend and
Masakados'
theme.

At worst I'm maybe missing three-four tracks, but this is pretty damn comprehensive.

Also...

Oh. A Hunter.

Bring 'em out already and I'll appraise them for you.

That guy is awesome. His voice, his art, everything.
I wish that art style was used in the entire game instead of the generic anime arts...

cj_iwakura

Bring 'em out already and I'll appraise them for you.

That guy is awesome. His voice, his art, everything.
I wish that art style was used in the entire game instead of the generic anime arts...

The sprites in general had a great SMT look. I wish the art had reflected it, but it wasn't really THAT bad. Tayama in particular had a good look to him.

Top Bottom