• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

CorvoSol

So I at last beat Birdcageheadman and made it up and through the tower, and now they're like
"Go back to Shibuya"
as a dirty foreigner, though, I don't remember where that is and I don't have a terminal taking me to it. So what is
Shibuya
near?

Soulhouf

So I at last beat Birdcageheadman and made it up and through the tower, and now they're like
"Go back to Shibuya"
as a dirty foreigner, though, I don't remember where that is and I don't have a terminal taking me to it. So what is
Shibuya
near?
Go south from Shinjuku.

cj_iwakura

Ryota Kozuka deserves some kind of award for this.

After smtg helped me find what I was missing, the grand total of tracks in SMTIV's OST?

Soulhouf cooked this up, too.

Thanks!

smt4_sound_collection_cover.jpg

Final Tracklist

• Archangel Battle
  • Ashura-kai Storefront
  • Barracks
  • Battle Results
  • Blasted Shinjuku
  • Blasted Tokyo Battle
  • Blasted Tokyo
  • Boss Battle
  • Boss Battle 2
  • Boss Introduction
  • Camp Ichigaya
  • Cathedral of Shadows App
  • Challenge Quest Theme
  • Champion
  • Cult of Gaea
  • Demon Introduction
  • Demon Introduction II
  • DLC Battle
  • DLC Menu (Arcade Street from SMT1)
  • Gates of Paradiso
  • Ginza - Members Only Club
  • Hallucination I (SMT1)
  • Hallucination II (SMTII)
  • Hunter Association
  • Hunter's Tournament (Ginza SMTI Remix)
  • Ikebukuro
  • Infernal Ichigaya
  • Infernal Kasumigeki
  • Infernal Shinjuku
  • Infernal Tokyo
  • Inheritance
  • [*]Kabuki-cho Cafe
    [*]Kagome Tower
    [*]Kiccigiorgi Forest
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Midboss Battle
    [*]Midtown
    [*]Mikado Battle
    [*]Mikado Castle
    [*]Monochrome Castle (Open Space)
    [*]Naraku
    [*]Nothingness
    [*]Overrunning Tokyo
    [*]Overture
    [*]Passage of Ethics
    [*]Pluto Castle
    [*]Prelude I
    [*]Prelude II
    [*]Prelude III
    [*]Purgatorium
    [*]Quest Battle
    [*]Quest Boss
    [*]Quest Completed
    [*]Quest (Demon Hunt)
    [*]Quest (Item Hunt)
    [*]Reincarnation
    [*]Reverse Hills
    [*]Roppongi Field
    [*]Sacrifice
    [*]SDDS IV (Main Theme)
    [*]Shibuya Underground District
    [*]Shibuya Underground Shelter
    [*]Shibuya Map
    [*]Shinjuku
    [*]Streetpass (Arcade Street Remix)
    [*]The Black Market
    [*]The Order of Our Lord (Theme of Law)
    [*]Theme of Chaos
    [*]The White
    [*]Terminal
    [*]Tokyo Battle
    [*]Tokyo Field
    [*]Tokyo Station
    [*]Tokyo Streets
    [*]Tsukiju Hongwanji
    [*]Ueno Central Underground
    [*]Ueno Field
    [*]VR Battle
    [*]Yaesu Passage
    [*]Yamato Perpetual Reactor

Kenka

It depends on which alignment you are aiming.

If you are aiming for neutral, follow one to balance your previous choices.
Well, that's the thing : I chose to follow Jonathan on the path of ethics in the first crossroads and Walter in the second. I am actually torn since I want to finish neutral.
I hope there's a way somehow, I am expecting also a True Demon ending, so staying neutral might be key.

No, I am right after the rendez-vous with the four idiots.

Interesting. He seems to be the *Chaos* path.

All I gotta say there will be plenty other choices, especially one that wheighs a lot, after the path of ethics.

Keep checking in the Hunter Bar with the Cynical Man your alignment.

Kenka

All I gotta say there will be plenty other choices, especially one that wheighs a lot, after the path of ethics.

Keep checking in the Hunter Bar with the Cynical Man your alignment.
Thanks, I did not know you could keep track of your alignment. Let's try to worm our way between the two paths.

Despera

Banned
Estoma Sword proved very useful during that one quest where you're asked to find 2 Vasuki hides, since the demon you're looking for is significantly higher level than the rest of 'em on the Tokyo map.

gunstarhero

Just beat the game - was neutral most of the game, but wound up falling over on the chaos side.

Tried to play the game honestly and make my decisions on what I would do if this was real - so I guess I'm a very bad person. :)

Easily one of my favorite games this year - the demon fusion aspect was like crack for me - especially going for the special fusions.

Time to move on to something new now - maybe some Etrian Odyssey IV.

Long live Atlus.

hey guys, finally beat this game.

It was incredible. Definitely one of the best JRPGs I've played in a long time.

I ended up at the chaos route and
I decided to turn the world into nothing.

King Kenji took me so many tries. But I finally took him down. A satisfying end boss for sure. Ancient Curse is hell'uva move.

spiritfox

hey guys, finally beat this game.

It was incredible. Definitely one of the best JRPGs I've played in a long time.

I ended up at the chaos route and
I decided to turn the world into nothing.

King Kenji took me so many tries. But I finally took him down. A satisfying end boss for sure. Ancient Curse is hell'uva move.

That's not the end of the game....

You just got the bad end. Now go and actually finish the game!

Gazoinks

I got a 2DS with this from Christmas! Yay! :D The edition with the book and CD, too.

So! What DLC would you recommend? Any essentials?

Soulhouf

Does it integrate directly into the story? If so, at which point? 'cause I wanna start playing but the eShop is troubled. >.>

The story DLC tell what happened before or after some of the main story's events and some of them show parts of the story that were never explained in the main game.
But in any case, you won't be able to play them until you you are in the last part of the game because they require high level demons with high level skills.

Gazoinks

The story DLC tell what happened before or after some of the main story's events and some of them show parts of the story that were never explained in the main game.
But in any case, you won't be able to play them until very late because they require high level demons with high level skills.

Alright, cool, thanks.

And here i thought i might get smt4 for Christmas..
Eu the land of forgotten demons.. Too much Law's influence to port it timely..
Hopefully demons gonna force their way through and We'll get early 2014..
Lesigh

eliochip

That's not the end of the game....

You just got the bad end. Now go and actually finish the game!
Not really a "bad" ending. It's a choice. 1 of 4 possible endings.

To be honest, I've gotten 3 endings down (including neutral) and none are as satisfying as the nihilism ending. I say stop there if you're satisfied with it

cj_iwakura

To be honest, I've gotten 3 endings down (including neutral) and none are as satisfying as the nihilism ending. I say stop there if you're satisfied with it

You miss out on a ton of NPC dialogue though, some more bosses, and of course(if you're Neutral/Law),
the majesty of Lucifer's Palace. Best dungeon BGM in the game.

Soulhouf

News to me.

Yeah, got a link by any chance? I don't remember hearing anything similar. In fact, I remember being mad annoyed when Kether Castle didn't even get its own unique theme.

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounded familiar to me. I need to find out where did I hear it before.

Edit: here you go. The refrain reminds me of the one in Amami Monolith theme from Soul Hackers.
Well, that solves the puzzle.

Wait. This is really a bad advice to give.
Each ending gives some answers and the neutral one in particular was pretty satisfying. Finishing the game without knowing the cause of the ceiling, the identity of that mysterious young girl who appeared with Steven or the infamous Burroughs is missing something.

JimPanzer

one hour in...buying a US 3DS was totally worth it!
just finished the first dungeon, didn't have a hard time at all - will the difficulty increase or are people exaggerating?

Soulhouf

just finished the first dungeon, didn't have a hard time at all - will the difficulty increase or are people exaggerating?

People are exaggerating. It's not because you occasionally die in a J-RPG that it's hard. You can save anywhere, so even if you die often, it's not a big deal.
BTW it will get even easier as you progress in the game. There are few optional bosses who can be hard but getting them to show up is actually harder than most of the battles themselves.

Gazoinks

In my experience, SMT games are generally only really hard if you don't make use of the systems it gives you, like fusion and press turn. Unforgiving might be a better word.

Soulhouf

I need some advice again, for Vishnu:

BcxWSS3CcAAxjPF.jpg

Mana Surge or Draconic Reaction? Or perhaps should I take them both and remove Invitation?
This is the only time that I allow a DLC skill on my demons (Pierce Physical).
I have ~80 St, 60 Lu and 60 Ag incenses ready to be used on him.

This is probably the 5th or 6th version of Vishnu I build and all the incenses I spent previously are wasted. I hope this is the last time -_-

Gazoinks

Man, the DLC superbosses are just sitting in my quest list. It's kind of tempting to take my lv 13-14 party against them and get curbstomped instantly.

Top Bottom