• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soma

Wow this game definitely picked up after arriving in
Tokyo
(really cool intro scene to the area as well). I mean, I was already enjoying this quite a bit before but man...

What an overworld theme.

Gazoinks

Wow this game definitely picked up after arriving in
Tokyo
(really cool intro scene to the area as well). I mean, I was already enjoying this quite a bit before but man...

What an overworld theme.

Shortly after arriving in Tokyo I got completely lost, and by the time I figured out what I was supposed to be doing I was several levels overleveled. :D

Anyone got any tips for *endgame spoilers* spawning
Red Rider? I saved just outside the door to the lift and run into the room, but keep getting the "No one Here" message.

I know it comes down to rolling the dice and hoping the RNG gods smile upon you, but I was hoping to find a way of making each run slightly less painful. For instance, is there any way to soft-reset the game without having to do it at the OS level? Is there a faster method of rolling the RNG again by (say) using an item or having a random encounter?

abrack08

Uuuuuuuuuugh these side quests uuuuuuuuuugh.

I feel your pain. I was actually shocked, I got the neutral path my first time without trying...then I get hit with the side quests requirements and shelved the game for a while. One of my favorite games of the year but I was just not up for that.

Just picked up my 32h save file. I can't remember exactly where I was headed before I stopped but man I love the battle system in this game.

Soulhouf

I finally triggered the Red Rider fight after hours of RNG resetting... Only to have the f*cker kill my party in two turns.

*sigh*

The real SMT4 starts here.
I don't recommend starting with Red Rider since he is one of the hardest Fiends if not the hardest period.

What works against 90% of the bosses will inevitably fail here. You need to take your demons to the next level to be able to win against that bastard.
I recommend a team of physical/hybrid demons because that's the only way to survive. Magic demons are too weak to withstand his attacks.

The real SMT4 starts here.
I don't recommend starting with Red Rider since he is one of the hardest Fiends if not the hardest period.

What works against 90% of the bosses will inevitably fail here. You need to take your demons to the next level to be able to win against that bastard.
I recommend a team of physical/hybrid demons because that's the only way to survive. Magic demons are too weak to withstand his attacks.
RNGesus.

That information would have been so useful yesterday. Across the whole Internet, I can only find info on how to trigger him rather than how to beat him, so I went in completely unprepared.

What kind of a sadistic freak puts that kind of pain behind a 1/256 random trigger?

Soulhouf

RNGesus.

That information would have been so useful yesterday. Across the whole Internet, I can only find info on how to trigger him rather than how to beat him, so I went in completely unprepared.

What kind of a sadistic freak puts that kind of pain behind a 1/256 random trigger?
I hear you. It's a pain to make him spawn, but he isn't the worst in that regard.
Actually the 1/256 thing isn't new, it was in SMT1,2 and if... Only Nocturne didn't have that. Even Strange Journey had it in some level (it's higher than 1/256 IIRC).

Here is a general recommendations for that fight:

- Having members in your team who null/reflect/drain his favorite attacks (fire and physical here) will make him spam almighty attacks on you (Antichthon, one of the most dangerous ones).
You don't want that to happen, so it's better to just have the lowest resist level.
- High agility and Draconic Reaction work well here. He will miss even with Antichthon if you are evasive enough making him loose press turns.
- Avoid using demons with less than 900 HP
- Have a good reserve of Dekunda stones or a demon with Dekunda because you will need to undo his debuff almost every turn.
- Pray he doesn't cast Antichthon more than twice in the same turn, because if he does, Game Over.

I'm late to this party (as usual) and just playing my first run-through now... I started it on American release but put it down after about 4 hours and didn't come back to it until just last week... Now I'm 25 hours in and hooked...

I have a Q re: the Medusa Special Fusion that I thought maybe could be answered here -
I killed Medusa hours back, but she managed to kill my MC with her last attack (my demons finished her off)... Now, digging around in special fusions, I notice she's still greyed out with "Femme ?????" listed as her name. Have I lost my chance to complete the requirements to get her special fusion? I understood I should get it when I defeat her, like with Fiend David, but this appears not to be the case.

Soulhouf

She is grayed out because you still lack at least one of the demons required to fuse her.
That's all.
Once you get/fuse that demon, you will be able to fuse her. You should be able to guess which demon is missing based on its silhouette and race.

RDreamer

Pacing in this is so weird for me. I feel like I spent a ton of hours never really gaining much for exp and then suddenly there's a chunk in the game where I'm gaining a level ever minute or two from fighting things that aren't actually that hard.

JimPanzer

Pacing in this is so weird for me. I feel like I spent a ton of hours never really gaining much for exp and then suddenly there's a chunk in the game where I'm gaining a level ever minute or two from fighting things that aren't actually that hard.

yeah, happened to me around lvl 50 too

v3wy.jpg

rybrad

I really hate how you can't hold down a button combination in-game to return to the title screen like Fire Emblem.
I totally agree with this, especially with how easy it is to have things go real bad real fast. I have been working on a boss for the last 30 minutes (wiping when she is almost dead to an unlucky smirk, yay!) or so and having to fast forward though Charon's spiel every time is annoying. I had to reset in Fire Emblem far less than in this game but I still appreciated the option.

Soma

Hahaha Walter's face upon meeting
Hikaru
. Such a dork.

Also wow barely survived that Ose fight in the Shinjuku terminal. I was around two levels below his too!

I totally agree with this, especially with how easy it is to have things go real bad real fast. I have been working on a boss for the last 30 minutes (wiping when she is almost dead to an unlucky smirk, yay!) or so and having to fast forward though Charon's spiel every time is annoying. I had to reset in Fire Emblem far less than in this game but I still appreciated the option.

Wait you can fast forward through that part? Don't you have to see the twenty second intro of looking around at Hell first?

rybrad

Wait you can fast forward through that part? Don't you have to see the twenty second intro of looking around at Hell first?
You have to die and res at least once to be able to fast forward through it. It was well worth the cost to me to be able to speed it up in the future.

RDreamer

Chernobog fucked me up like something fierce. Beat him with my last demon alive. And by last I mean last last. My entire crew got rolled through the fight. Main character was dead at the end too. Crazy.

Celegus

I feel your pain. I was actually shocked, I got the neutral path my first time without trying...then I get hit with the side quests requirements and shelved the game for a while. One of my favorite games of the year but I was just not up for that.

I nearly did the same thing, but ended up just powering through it on a weekend we were snowed in. It really killed the pacing though, I was really getting into the story and everything and then... go do all the sidequests! And no we're not going to give you useful hints on how to do them, so good luck! That was easily my least favorite part of the game.

Renoir

ok. Im LTTP as well. just taking bites out of this, one thing im stuck on is getting moss in the early game. I found 2 relatively easily. i cant find the 3rd one for the quest.

ive notice that some items come back on the field (jewels), but the moss doesnt ?

Soulhouf

ok. Im LTTP as well. just taking bites out of this, one thing im stuck on is getting moss in the early game. I found 2 relatively easily. i cant find the 3rd one for the quest.

ive notice that some items come back on the field (jewels), but the moss doesnt ?

There are exactly 3 mosses you can pick up immediately. 1 in the first Stratum and 2 in the second Stratum.
You are probably missing the one in the Second Stratum where you need to crawl through a hole to find it.

Renoir

There are exactly 3 mosses you can pick up immediately. 1 in the first Stratum and 2 in the second Stratum.
You are probably missing the one in the Second Stratum where you need to crawl through a hole to find it.

thank you for the tip. ill check it out.

Dresden

Would Judgement be a good skill to have on my MC? I'm currently law but definitely aiming for neutral.

If you've been keeping your luck up, sure, but if you're a magic or phys build you can just use a multi target spell/ability to clear the field instead. I usually let my demons handle the instakill spells.

Bladenic

If you've been keeping your luck up, sure, but if you're a magic or phys build you can just use a multi target spell/ability to clear the field instead. I usually let my demons handle the instakill spells.

Yeah I'm magic build. Plus I have Megidoplasma from a DLC demon on my MC, so he's kinda set for now in the Almighy department.

Bladenic

Sorry for double post, but I have a question. Mid game spoiler, regarding alignment and a major choice:
I'm about to choose Walter to go see Lilith.
Here's the thing though, I'm currently leaning Law and I'm really not sure by how much. Should I go ahead and do the hunter prelims and get some extra Chaos points? And better yet, is there a cutoff point before you get alignment locked where you can't do any other side quests?

Soulhouf

Would Judgement be a good skill to have on my MC? I'm currently law but definitely aiming for neutral.

I think he is talking about the almighty spell Judgement and not the insta death expel spell Judgement Light.

As for the spell itself, don't bother. It's basically a megido that does more damage against Neutral demons and costs more MP.

Sorry for double post, but I have a question. Mid game spoiler, regarding alignment and a major choice:
I'm about to choose Walter to go see Lilith.
Here's the thing though, I'm currently leaning Law and I'm really not sure by how much. Should I go ahead and do the hunter prelims and get some extra Chaos points? And better yet, is there a cutoff point before you get alignment locked where you can't do any other side quests?

Try to be Neutral before going to Camp Ichigaya and hope for the best.

Just hit level 31 yesterday and ran around to recruit all the Jacks again so I could fuse-me-up Jaki Black Frost - muha-ha-ha-ha-ha, I feel so fucking badass! Gotta try
that prick Chernobog
again now...

I finished all the Neutral missions and since I didn't want to spend hours trying to spawn fiends, decided to find out what would happen if I leveled up a Lham Daerg all the way to max with all the demon enhance apps active.

The result was this:

1D93FF38-BFA4-4808-932C-4C9C8F149D55_zpsgj2sox6g.jpg

I put Draconic Reaction, Repel Ice, High Gun Plemora, Titanomachea, Riot Gun, Heaven's Bow, Judgement (morphed from Occult Flash - wanted a magic attack to complement the others) and Charge on this bad boy.

Thinking though, that were I to make another, I might swap out one or both of the secondary attacks for Life/Mana Surge or a cheap magic move like Thunder Reign. What do you guys think?

Bladenic

I think he is talking about the almighty spell Judgement and not the insta death expel spell Judgement Light.

As for the spell itself, don't bother. It's basically a megido that does more damage against Neutral demons and costs more MP.

Try to be Neutral before going to Camp Ichigaya and hope for the best.

Checked the Cynical man and I'm neutral! Huzzah. Now I've read that I should lean slightly chaotic. I'm using an FAQ for the choices from here on in. Question about some mandatory choices:
if you first pick to not press the button at those button pressing choices, do you avoid the points given by the pressing the button choice?

Soulhouf

I finished all the Neutral missions and since I didn't want to spend hours trying to spawn fiends, decided to find out what would happen if I leveled up a Lham Daerg all the way to max with all the demon enhance apps active.

The result was this:

1D93FF38-BFA4-4808-932C-4C9C8F149D55_zpsgj2sox6g.jpg

I put Draconic Reaction, Repel Ice, High Gun Plemora, Titanomachea, Riot Gun, Heaven's Bow, Judgement (morphed from Occult Flash - wanted a magic attack to complement the others) and Charge on this bad boy.

Thinking though, that were I to make another, I might swap out one or both of the secondary attacks for Life/Mana Surge or a cheap magic move like Thunder Reign. What do you guys think?

You need to swap 2 skills for Life Surge and Enduring Souls. These 2 skills are mandatory for every demon who doesn't have a lot of HP.
Also, it's better to focus on 1 or 2 types of attacks to be more efficient.

I did that with some of my demons to see the result.

IMG_2847.jpg
IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg
IMG_2854.jpg

While Leanan Sidhe isn't suited for bosses, she is very useful to clean up the fields.

Nata Taishi is OP. He is one of the demons I used to kill the Fiends in hard mode (including Red Rider) and the 2 others, even if I still don't know what to do with them, they are making a slow but steady progress.

Nowadays I rarely put Antichton on my demons anymore other than for show because I figured out that it's almost a crappy skill since all the relevant bosses cancel the debuff beyond -2 and it may miss unlike Debilitate. Not to mention it costs a lot of MP.

Checked the Cynical man and I'm neutral! Huzzah. Now I've read that I should lean slightly chaotic. I'm using an FAQ for the choices from here on in. Question about some mandatory choices:
if you first pick to not press the button at those button pressing choices, do you avoid the points given by the pressing the button choice?

Nope. It doesn't change anything. It's one of these inevitable choices where you don't have any other option.

FluxWaveZ

This is exactly what I did and I haven't finished the game yet because of it. Hopefully I'll get back to it sooner than later.

Shengar

Damn, it's been a while since I touch this game. The lack of Demon near end game really put me off :/
Also I haven't yet to receive the last Nozomo line sidequest.

Top Bottom