• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

LostAnkh

sDDunSs.jpg

Anyone have any tips on the
Minotaur
boss?

Hylian7

Ugh, Walter just had to use Agi and cause
Minotaur
to smirk. I still won but the MC died and missed out on the EXP. I really want Tam Lin :(

EXACTLY what just happened to me, and the fight was going smoothly before that.

Edit: FUCKING WALTER! He uses Agi on him, WHEN HE NULLIFIES FIRE! That gives him a smirk, which he uses to take down my protagonist and one of my ice-using demons, which makes me lose, and the fight was going well before that. FUCK YOU WALTER!

I'm on a certain boss. Fuck him, seriously. The boss:
Minotaur

I know his weakness is ice, and I have two demons with Bufu for him, do I just need to grind more or what? Once the Labrys strikes start flying he can one-shot my Harpy.

Edit: FUCKING WALTER! He uses Agi on him, WHEN HE NULLIFIES FIRE! That gives him a smirk, which he uses to take down my protagonist and one of my ice-using demons, which makes me lose, and the fight was going well before that. FUCK YOU WALTER!

You should try and have Bufu on everyone in your party. Having some buffs/debuffs help a lot too. The boss is really random honestly, it took me several tries and I didn't even change my basic strategy.

vall03

Finally reached Tokyo, I like how theres still the classic Megaten Overworld and also love the theme!

Also,
I thought Medusa is going to murder me, luckily, I guessed right on her weakness and have 2 demons with Zanma too. Only took me 2 turns and I didn't prepare for her at all. lol

Hylian7

You should try and have Bufu on everyone in your party. Having some buffs/debuffs help a lot too. The boss is really random honestly, it took me several tries and I didn't even change my basic strategy.

I haven't been putting points in MAG on the protagonist though. I'm doing a Dexterity build mainly.

Has anybody Avatarized the Mitama faces yet? I like them. If no one has them yet, can someone please avatarize them? I wanna join the party, I am only about half hour in though;

Edit: Or does anyone know what chibi demons are left?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
sDDunSs.jpg

Anyone have any tips on the
Minotaur
boss?

Typically SMT games favor focused build so I am actually rather interested in hearing how jack-of-all-trades build like this gonna fare, especially end-game and against DLC superbosses.

Seriously? That is nuts.

That x3 -kaja effect may or may not be true however, but a guy in Gamefaqs performed a rather meticulous experiment and according to him it seems like it is the case, and I tend to believe him.

Which is also why, according to him, adding a kaja skill on a smirking character will have no effect.

Bullza2o

Man this game is brutal! I just started and the first time I encounter 2 demons I kept failing to recruit. I finally succeeded my 5th try. I just reload because I want to stay in hard mode as long as I can, and I don't like losing macca.

Just to make sure, if I go to easy mode can I go back to hard?

LostAnkh

Whoa, you're level 16 and just at that boss? That's hella grinding.
I'm actually trying to build a team to combat
Minotaur
, the leveling is just a bonus. :p

Typically SMT games favor focused build so I am actually rather interested in hearing how jack-of-all-trades build like this gonna fare, especially end-game and against DLC superbosses.
It fared really well against the
Minotaur

I just reached a new area (I'll let you all guess where), and oh my god is the music awesome. Best part of the game so far. Too bad I've got to shut it down for the night.

vall03

Woah! Level 16 against the Minotaur is overleveled? I just reached Tokyo and I'm already Lvl17 with only a thousand or so exp left to Lvl18.

Asura challenge quest
was pretty tough at lvl 21.Guest character made it worst by constantly using attacks that made him smirk and just rape me.

Lots of grinding to get a team to fight him. I'm new to MegaTen and I don't really play RPG's, so I'm trying to get the hang of it.

What's your playtime? That much EXP early on must have cost an obscene amount of effort.

Keep in mind that you can change so much more than just leveling. So grinding should be the very last resort.

LostAnkh

What's your playtime? That much EXP early on must have cost an obscene amount of effort.

Keep in mind that you can change so much more than just leveling. So grinding should be the very last resort.
About 12 hours.

Don't bother grinding in Megaten. It's all about demon roll out. Unless grinding will allow you to get a specific demon or will unlock an app that will make things easier like the demonlingo or whatever app, grinding is pointless, though it has it uses for certain things. Enemies tend to drop shit xp for a reason.
I can tell the xp is scaled. I grinded mostly for the demons, so they can learn all they can for the fusion.

Xi Wangmu
is a real pain in the ass. Worse than
Minotaur
and
Medusa
for me. All of the demons in the appropriate level range are either weak to
Elec
, or have low enough health they'll get one-shotted by
Megaton Press
. The only exception is
Nue

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't bother grinding in Megaten. It's all about demon roll out. Unless grinding will allow you to get a specific demon or will unlock an app that will make things easier like the demonlingo or whatever app, grinding is pointless, though it has it uses for certain things. Enemies tend to drop shit xp for a reason.

Well sometimes grinding *is* required: to get skills for demons, to pass fusion requirements, to allow some demons to transform into better form, etc etc etc.

To say grinding is pointless in Megaten is not really true.

Nocturne for example: to fuse high class demons like Beelzebub you have no other choice but to grind. Even more so to get his evolved form, gah.

Hylian7

FUCK THIS BOSS:
Minotaur

Battle is going great, hearing dialog that makes it sounds like I'm close to the end. Then he immediately gets a critical one one of my demons, which gives him a smirk, and he proceeds to Labrys Strike the rest of my party down. FUCK. THAT.

LostAnkh

FUCK THIS BOSS:
Minotaur

Battle is going great, hearing dialog that makes it sounds like I'm close to the end. Then he immediately gets a critical one one of my demons, which gives him a smirk, and he proceeds to Labrys Strike the rest of my party down. FUCK. THAT.
That's what happened to my party. :(

george_us

Does Demon Talk remain a random pile of shit through out the entire game or do you get skills to improve it? Losing items and health only to have the demon up and vanish is bullshit.

Also, do dungeons continue throwing shit your way like having demons spawn right on top of you to where you can't react?

This game feels cheap compared to other Megaten games.

Busaiku

FUCK THIS BOSS:
Minotaur

I redid this battle like 5-5 times (beat him several times, but then died a couple times as well) because I thought I chose the wrong dialogue options (going for Chaos), only to find out that the dialogue only effected the battle itself...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"Thank God we arrive in time!"

*Acts all brave and melodramatic-like*

"Don't worry MC, we will help you!"

*Attacks only get 10 DMG only*

ME: FACEPALM.

Hylian7

I redid this battle like 5-5 times (beat him several times, but then died a couple times as well) because I thought I chose the wrong dialogue options (going for Chaos), only to find out that the dialogue only effected the battle itself...

Explain this.

Minotaur, I loathe you so much!! Beat him on my second try on normal but it was out of sheer luck with my newly recruited knocker delivering the final blow after he went on a rampage with a big ole smirk on his face.

Since my MC died he didn't get any of the exp. I felt compelled to beat Mino with his alive and 10 game overs later I did it. Was it worth it? Not really but oh well.

Top Bottom