• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Busaiku

Just completed the first 2 main quests. Game is fun so far.
Had a centaur want to stop the battle... to bad I'm farming life stones. I chose the "die option". Felt a bit bad at first, but I'm sure
if it was the other way around it would have done the same.

Why would you avoid money.

As much as I like playing this game anywhere, the portability factor is somewhat low. The voice acting and music is too good to mute, so I have to have headphones on, and the gameplay is so tense a lot of the time that I can't play it while something else is happening.

Hopefully later on I can grind and do subquests for drop-in-drop-out moments. I'm still in the linear parts.

Alucrid

Banned
That was actually an extremely rare occurence, ala shining Pokemon. You would have recruited Chiron, a unique Level 35 Centaur who can be used to fuse Ultimademon, the most powerful demon. People have been awaiting this moment for months, and yet, you blew it!

or he would've called you a sucker, take a dump on your chest and gallop away into the sunset with your pixie.

That was actually an extremely rare occurence, ala shining Pokemon. You would have recruited Chiron, a unique Level 35 Centaur who can be used to fuse Ultimademon, the most powerful demon. People have been awaiting this moment for months, and yet, you blew it!
Woah... That's a thing? Are there many such demons? And is it safe to assume that we should recruit any demons who ask to join?

Makonero

I just got the game, and holy smokes, it is HARD. Like, unfairly so!

I'm still very early in the game, but spoilers anyways,

I got to the third floor of Naraku, got wiped out by some vicious Naga, and then spent the next four hours grinding and testing out different demons and stuff. Finally, I just sat there and restarted the battle over and over until I won - is this the normal way to play? The demons are all so low-leveled on the first and second stratum, and the interesting fusions I can't do because I'm only level 9. I just unlocked the first special fusion, but I don't have a dwarf anymore, nor do I have any cash, so should I grind to get one again?

I am a little hesitant to explore the third stratum now, since I don't want to get caught with my pants down again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is it me or do buff spells do almost nothing in this game? I can't really notice the effects of taru/raku at all. In other SMT games, they pretty much double attack/defense.

Is it me or do buff spells do almost nothing in this game? I can't really notice the effects of taru/raku at all. In other SMT games, they pretty much double attack/defense.

I felt the same when I used Taru in the first boss battle and against some of the tougher enemies. It didn't feel like I was doing much more damage but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Aeana

I think it's a percentage boost, so it isn't going to be a big difference in the early game. I definitely notice a difference where I am, though, especially if it's stacked.

Rhodan

Neo Member
What have you guys been spending your app points on?

I've only been buying skill slots, demon slots, and I just bought a demon skill slot. I'll buy the one that lets me communicate with more demons, but what else is worth buying?

I got the first rank of the one that reduces demon MP costs (thought it would affect the MC as well, turns out it doesn't) and the rest have been 2 extra skill slots for the MC and 1 extra for demons. Just got the Demolingual app (the one that lets you talk to more demons) and next I think Ill get MP regen since my MC is magic based

Xenoflare

Is anyone slightly annoyed by physical skills using MP instead of MP? I know SJ uses MP too but coming from Soul Hackers, Persona and Devil Survivor it takes time to get use to. Even Nocturne used HP :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not using the LE guide...though maybe I should.

Beat that mini boss I was stuck on and then the mini after it. Then beat the first boss after that no sweat.

Magic da bes.

Is anyone slightly annoyed by physical skills using MP instead of MP? I know SJ uses MP too but coming from Soul Hackers, Persona and Devil Survivor it takes time to get use to. Even Nocturne used HP :/

Yeah, that was the biggest shock to me out of all the adjustments in the game. I totally expected for physical attacks to cost HP, completely caught me off guard. Also makes physical demons a little less useful because they have loads of HP but low MP which sucks.

Rhodan

Neo Member

Yeh since Nocturne used HP I was fully expecting HP to be used. Since most physical demons have low MP, it makes them a lot less useful unless their default attack is good (i.e. multiple strikes or status effects)

coopolon

I have been looking for green moss for almost an hour now. I just keep finding jewelry. Ugh.

In case anyone else is stuck on this, you can hit the weird looking doors and they open. I dont think this was ever communicated, or if it was I completely missed it. Wasted an hour looking for this stupid thing. At least I should be over leveled for a few quests.

Rhodan

Neo Member
so i'm guessing
it's like the tartarus in p3?

Kind Of.

Environment Spoiler
Once you get the key on the fourth floor you can open the door on first floor thats been locked, which gives you a way to jump down straight from 1st to 4th floor (but not back up

Also, Story Spoiler
Not long after you start exploring the underground you find a terminal which lets you instantly port from there back to castle like terminals in other SMT games

PK Gaming

Don't you love it when you're fighting a bunch of demons, and then one of them surrenders like a bitch?

"Please spare me"

"Ok."

"Nah, I lied."

(proceeds to kill them anyway)

It doesn't get much better than this haha.

Xi Wangmu
feels like another roadblock boss to me, at least for the moment. Maziodyne, Megaton Press, a skill that raises all stats, and 4,500 HP is pretty daunting.

Midou

From the time you gotta
find Navarre in the dungeon
until now when I just entered
the forest
I've found the characters increasingly pleasant, they bored me during their introduction but I'm liking them more and more. At least given this is a more 'classic SMT' scenario, and not 'other' entries in the franchise.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Goddamn, I should try to avoid GameFAQs. I know, I know. But the negativity and trolling is bringing me down a bit. Never again I say. Screw that place.

Midou

Goddamn, I should try to avoid GameFAQs. I know, I know. But the negativity and trolling is bringing me down a bit. Never again I say. Screw that place.

lmao I just took a peak at the front page of GameFAQs boards, it is more 12 year old filth than usual, wow.

CSX

ZEpeoF6.jpg

#TeamLuck represent

Mupod

You know you've wandered a bit too far afield when you go from getting 300 xp per fight to 6000. Shot up from 22 to 26 in no time.

Nice that it gives you the option, although I'm still kinda lost right now.

Also, ran into the toughest fight yet:
Grendel
. I'd imagine half my problem in the fight was being underleveled, but I was able to triumph by
stacking every single debuff and buff in the game to max, since he had no dispels. It just took like 7 tries of him one shotting my team before I could get all those spells off.

also, spirit drain kicks ass. I put it on my main dude after trying it out on a Momunofu. Finally found a demon with Recarm too, and I got him the 'regen mana after battles' skill. No longer am I slave to the barracks bed, I can actually explore.

How long until they transform? I usually fuse them after I get all their skills available

My archangel transformed I think two levels after he warned me of impending evolution. He turned into a caster type though, and he had mostly physical skills. Oh well.

The only good boards I've found there are the ones where a game is still not released, or where the game has been out for at least 4-6 months. That's usually a good time period where the trolls and other idiots are almost all gone. Plus the flood of new players has subsided and most of the main people who actually enjoy the game remain.

Of course, that's not always the case, some games are better than others, but that's my experience with the site, at least.

I'm suddenly reminded of how I didn't get Tarukaja for maybe a third of the game because my Flynn had a magic build and I thought physical and magic attack boosts were separated into Tarukaja and Makakaja respectively, like in Nocturne.

CSX

I'm confused. Doesn't luck work well with physical attackers? IIRC, Luck only benefits magic by increasing the chance of landing certain status moves.

I see it as covering all my bases for getting the extra turns. Landing elements and having a good chance to crit.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Trying to recruit a Harpy;

"What do you want?"
"I want you"
"Oh you just want me to fuse with someone else. Ugh."

Damn Harpy you know me too well :p

Goby

Banned
I'm confused. Doesn't luck work well with physical attackers? IIRC, Luck only benefits magic by increasing the chance of landing certain status moves.

Luck is useful in magic builds as well.

increase smirk chance, better chance of things connecting, demons, etc.

Top Bottom