• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I think I'm finally getting into a rhythm with the game. I kept dying when roaming around trying to complete the training missions and was getting really frustrated with having to watch that death dialogue scene afterward (did not want to spend macca or play coins).

Then the wonderful realization that I can actually leave the training area and rest at the barracks hit me and I was able to grind up some levels a bit and recruit a few more demons. Glad to finally have the Dia skill handy and I'm getting ready for the first boss fight.

CSX

Luck is useful in magic builds as well.

increase smirk chance, better chance of things connecting, demons, etc.

By that you mean recruiting them? If so, that's wrong. I'm still getting boned over so much on recuriting lol

Infinite

Give him a snowstorm. Best way to beat him is getting alot of extra turns + Sukukaja to make sure he keeps missing.

Theres also a dialouge choice that will lower his accuracy even more.

I'm bodying him with Ice but once his health gets low he just wrecks my shit with oni- kagura. What demon has Sukukaja and is half way decent?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looking for clarification on the "Expeience of the Afterlife" DLC. Does it break the game? Like, should I purchase it? Or is it effectively a power leveling technique? I don't want to break my experience in my first SMT game.

My 3DS backlog is massive T_T. I still have Soul Hackers and X-Zone unopened as I try and finish Etrian Odyssey IV (52 hours in). I put off EOIV because of Monster Hunter 3 Wii U, which sucked up like 150 hours right after Fire Emblem's massive 225 hour mark.

Gaf, what should I tackle next, this, Hackers, or Xzone?

CSX

I'm bodying him with Ice but once his health gets low he just wrecks my shit with oni- kagura. What demon has Sukukaja and is half way decent?

Looking at my compendium and saw Fortuana. Special fusion at level 11

I didnt use her in the boss fight though. I leveled her up and have her whispered the skill to me

Goby

Banned
Looking for clarification on the "Expeience of the Afterlife" DLC. Does it break the game? Like, should I purchase it? Or is it effectively a power leveling technique? I don't want to break my experience in my first SMT game.

It drops items that boost xp

It breaks the game if you make it break the game

However if you want to jump a level quick or so it's fine

Also breaking the game is all in the eyes of the player anyway

Emitan

I'm going to be focusing on magic, agi, and luck now

BPbCAwKCQAAU2FT.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It drops items that boost xp

It breaks the game if you make it break the game

However if you want to jump a level quick or so it's fine

Also breaking the game is all in the eyes of the player anyway

So is it something I can play after I finish the main story and get something out of? If so, I'll just wait it out.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My 3DS backlog is massive T_T. I still have Soul Hackers and X-Zone unopened as I try and finish Etrian Odyssey IV (52 hours in). I put off EOIV because of Monster Hunter 3 Wii U, which sucked up like 150 hours right after Fire Emblem's massive 225 hour mark.

Gaf, what should I tackle next, this, Hackers, or Xzone?

Soul Hackers.

To clarify, that 2 dollar dlc is the one that gives you the palette swap napaea?

Yup.

g1gsvoi.png

Yay it actually came today! I noticed a company called "OnTrac" was delivering it so I looked them up...they had hundreds of one star reviews. Guess I got lucky :p

First time playing an SMT game...I hope it's
fun

Whoowee, I bested the Minotaur on my second try (keep in mind I'm playing on easy), but man what a jump in difficulty. It's so crazy how one slightly different strategy or moves at the beginning makes a difference. Breezed through the second time (getting the right convo choices helped too)

Loving this! On we go!

By the way, you can use the fusion app to check for demons that possess particular skills. It's one of the last few filter options.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

So is it something I can play after I finish the main story and get something out of? If so, I'll just wait it out.

You can't (well you can but you will be wiped out very easily) fight the demons there unless you're at least near level 20s anyways.

I tried it last night, I was at level 8. Wiped out on the 1st encounter featuring 3 enemies all around level 22-23, hahahaha.

The quest "collect demon claws" (one of the very first challenge quests) never goes away for me. I can complete it as many times as I want. Is this intended or a glitch? I think it's a glitch because I turned in the quest as soon as I got it, since I already had the 3 gryphon claws, and when I went into Naraku I kept getting notified that I had "1 more to go" or whatever when I got a new claw.

Some quests can be turned on multiple times, it's intended. The first time you turn it in gives the greatest reward.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've been putting +2 magic, +2 agility, and +1 luck for every level. Working well so far. I LOVE luck, I'm getting so many critical hits (in case I can't or don't want to use magic, it's great).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
#TeamLuck represent

Your build is way different than what I'm doing. I'm focusing on strength and agility. I just finished the third quest and I've already died twice. Mainly it was because I tried exploring everything.

I must be going it at wrong increasing STR. STR and AG seem to be the wrong route.. I'm leaving magic up to the demons.

Should I focus on Magic now that my STR is like at 13 and Magic is still around 9?

Mupod

I've been putting +2 magic, +2 agility, and +1 luck for every level. Working well so far. I LOVE luck, I'm getting so many critical hits (in case I can't or don't want to use magic, it's great).

I raise agi, dex and luck evenly and I have critical wave at +8. Pretty much always crits and does around 240 damage to all, for 8 SP. Gonna be hard to find a replacement for this skill that I've had since the start of the game...

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Not being able to manually re order skills is messing with me. Really loving it so far though.

About six-hour spoilers.

I love how understated the story is, with the fantasy interaction with technology. It's not hitting you over the head with it, just small bits of language here or there that at once is funny and informs you about the world, and how little the characters understand. Dramatic irony, well delivered. I really hope that doesn't go away.

EDIT: Oh my god it wouldn't let me use "Old Fart" as a terminal name. Guys, this game's M rated, I think fart is just fine.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Your build is way different than what I'm doing. I'm focusing on strength and agility. I just finished the third quest and I've already died twice. Mainly it was because I tried exploring everything.

I must be going it at wrong increasing STR. STR and AG seem to be the wrong route.. I'm leaving magic up to the demons.

Should I focus on Magic now that my STR is like at 13 and Magic is still around 9?

What? Don't leave the manly TeamPHYS and go to the wimpy TeamMAG :p

Raise your DEX, it's a much more important stat for PHYS-based MC. DEX, AGI, and STR, in that order. Maybe want to throw in to LCK every once in a while too. But as Grunt of ME3 once said, "I don't need luck, I have ammo."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What? Don't leave the manly TeamPHYS and go to the wimpy TeamMAG :p

Raise your DEX, it's a much more important stat for PHYS-based MC. DEX, AGI, and STR, in that order. Maybe want to throw in to LCK every once in a while too. But as Grunt of ME3 once said, "I don't need luck, I have ammo."

haha will do. Thanks.

Totakeke

I'm going team MAG and cover all elements for maximum press turn benefit.

I'll leave team PHYS for the 2nd playthrough on hard.

Hylian7

I'm on a certain boss. Fuck him, seriously. The boss:
Minotaur

I know his weakness is ice, and I have two demons with Bufu for him, do I just need to grind more or what? Once the Labrys strikes start flying he can one-shot my Harpy.

Edit: FUCKING WALTER! He uses Agi on him, WHEN HE NULLIFIES FIRE! That gives him a smirk, which he uses to take down my protagonist and one of my ice-using demons, which makes me lose, and the fight was going well before that. FUCK YOU WALTER!

Minotaur

I know his weakness is ice, and I have two demons with Bufu for him, do I just need to grind more or what? Once the Labrys strikes start flying he can one-shot my Harpy.

I'd drop that dead weight and get people with more HP accordingly closer to your lvl.

Nexas

11 hours in and I'm still loving it, but I have one big complaint. I hate how casting physical skills through MP is now the new normal for the franchise. All my PHY-based demons have shit for MP and cannot keep fighting as long MAG-based ones. Does this get remedied later on?

Minotaur

Your entire party should be Bufu blasting, and you should also debuff his accuracy a bit.

Ugh, Walter just had to use Agi and cause
Minotaur
to smirk. I still won but the MC died and missed out on the EXP. I really want Tam Lin :(

Top Bottom