• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

scy

At 15 you were overpowered lol. I beat him at lvl 12.

Not sure if the few levels of AGI were really relevant, honestly. The biggest saving grace was probably landing Tetanus Cut for Sick since he's resistant to it. I could have done it a few levels earlier but I got sidetracked on trying to gather things for fusions instead of just pushing on. I guess I'll see if the next boss is better without any stops for fusion farming.

My expectations/idea of difficulty is probably just off compared to most, to be honest.

Dresden

Considering now Physical skills use MP, do you think it is something to be considered as well for Physical folks?

I haven't had much use for it since I'm relying on just plain shooting so much. Ended up swapping it out for Bad Company.

e: also, Rapid Needles is so awesome - enemies blow up in a blood explosion when you kill them with it.

linko9

20 hours into the game and I just figured out you can talk to the NPCs walking around with the A button. I feel like a complete idiot. I could not for the life of me figure out what all those people were doing hanging out on roofs and stuff. Are any of them important? Can you get quests from them? Should I go back and talk to all of them?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Woo, just beat him after coming back fully healed on the first try. I have two demons with Bufu though so that really helped.

Kenai

Hum, going through some of the other posts is surprising. I actually had almost no trouble with
Minotaur or Medusa
but the boss theme is totally god tier so I might not have minded if I did, and I loved the "new" take on their designs as well. It's always been random fights that get me, and it's usually ones were mobs jump out of nowhere and get an ambush, which is akin to Floor 1 EO1 shenanigans if they manage to hit a weakness.

This game is quite good. I am now in
Tokyo
and I seem to never know exactly where I'm going with such a vague objective but things like Relic spots and Challenge Quests make getting "lost" not feel like a bad thing so far. Those
mobs that are jumping out of the ponds in the park area
are kinda no fun though.

Holy shit. I finally got to Tokyo, and hooollly shit. The games prologue really does itself a disservice by being so limited, especially considering how broad and grand Tokyo is.

Teknoman

Holy shit. I finally got to Tokyo, and hooollly shit. The games prologue really does itself a disservice by being so limited, especially considering how broad and grand Tokyo is.

I think it works, considering the point of view the characters had early on. Reminds me of that one M.Night movie.

Some of these challenge quests are kicking my butt. I wish they gave more exp but at least a lot of them give you a ton of incenses. Just got four magic ones.

I'm starting to think magic is the way to go.

Kenai

Holy crap I just ran into a
fiend
for the first time doing a quest. The nostalgia in the music was overwhelming.

Aeana

One of the toughest decisions in any SMT is when you need to tell yourself that that demon in your stock that's been with you for the last 15 levels that you've been unable to fuse into anything decent is never going to amount to anything, and that you need to delete it.

Vice

Finally beat M
edusa
. That was an awesome boss fight.

Finally made it to Tokyo and the music is fantastic. Sadly, is time to go to sleep!

I'm having trouble with her. I think I may be a bit under leveled. I'm level 12. Maybe I just need more wind attacks.

Lucent

Wow...that
DDS Horde in Naraku while trying to find Navarre. Everytime I get close to beating it, they start throwing out the lunges after Jonathan acts like a dumb ass and uses bufu on them to set them into smirk mode and then he dies...

Edit: Nevermind. I managed. Probably didn't do it the best way, but this time I got
Isabeau instead of Jonathan and she freak'n ROCKED it with Dia and Zio. Totally helped me out way more than Jonathan did.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I talked to a demon I already recruited in order to spare us the fight and he went ahead and issued me a hunting quest.

This is game.

Dex gives a huge boost to all Phys-based skills. It doesn't impact regular (non-gun) attacks though.

DEX affects guns yes, but it also affect physical skills in a much greater degree than STR.

STR affects normal attacks and yes, while it is also affect physical skills, it affects them in a much smaller degree compared to DEX.

Many even consider STR as the least impactful stat in this game, although personally I still raise it because normal attacks can save MP and can be useful for grinding. But yes, for physical-oriented MCs, DEX is a lot more important than STR.
Thanks guys.

scy

Level 16 and done with the second big boss fight of
Medusa
. My trial run ended up being a flawless kill. Oh well?

If you get to 16 before her, make a Hooligan. He can probably solo her after enough time.

Aeana

Level 16 and done with the second big boss fight of
Medusa
. My trial run ended up being a flawless kill. Oh well?

If you get to 16 before her, make a Hooligan. He can probably solo her after enough time.
If you overlevel and have higher level demons, and go in with the right skillsets and resistances, then of course it's going to be easy. This post and your one about
Minotaur
just seem like bragging because you overprepared. Of course the reason people had trouble with the other fights is that they weren't prepared enough.

Kenai

If you overlevel and have higher level demons, and go in with the right skillsets and resistances, then of course it's going to be easy. This post and your one about
Minotaur
just seem like bragging because you overprepared. Of course the reason people had trouble with the other fights is that they weren't prepared enough.

I died once to each learning their weakness, then killed both the second time. Didn't read the thread enough for any real warning (although I did get lucky by answering the questions right and having a MAG character to help abuse weaknesses).

David
on the other hand, kicked my ass quite a few times. Got him though!

Rhodan

Neo Member
One of the toughest decisions in any SMT is when you need to tell yourself that that demon in your stock that's been with you for the last 15 levels that you've been unable to fuse into anything decent is never going to amount to anything, and that you need to delete it.

Having that exact Dilemma with Tam Lin right now, Im level 28 and Tam's 20 or so. Still kind of useful at the moment though as a solid demon to bring in if someone dies since she has high HP even now, though shes rapidly getting outdated

Esura

Banned
I know I keep using this thread for dumb questions but should I even bother teaching my MC stuff like Rakukaja and instead just fuse that skill into other demons? I don't really have many skill slots atm other than my elementals and Dia.

What did you guys name your main character?

Esura

Hybrid897

Level 26ish quest stuff :
My main quest now is to rescue some people in Shinjuku national park, I've found the west entrance to Shinjuku park but it seems to lead nowhere. Anyone know where I need to go?

Can't wait till I get black frost, looks like it has super strong resists as usual.

edit:
Nevermind found it, turns out Shinjuku park is completely different to shinjuku national park. All those circles I ran in... :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How hard is this game compared to the Persona games? The thread title is making this really intimidating to buy.

Harder, but just like any other RPG if you know where to look you have all the tools necessary to not only conquer the difficulty, but also makes it squirming in hopelessness, hahaha. Just gotta be more patient than your typical JRPGs.

Revan.

Rhodan

Neo Member
One thing that's bugging me at the moment;

I really wish you could pause the game to look around the map, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this.

At the moment, Im trying to find a location and Im just moving around the bottom map and getting ambushed constantly while doing so.

Sleepy

One thing that I noticed that really has helped me so far, is to look at your attack cursor icon that is on the enemy: If it has a green exclamation mark it indicates weakness, so use that attack! (Is this correct?)

The sense of accomplishment is a HUGE part of this game. And in this way I agree with the thread title.

demonkaze

So i finished up
Ueno
(10 hours in or so) and then headed to
Shinjuku
however im only Lv 21 and the enemies are around 25, am i underleveled or am i supposed to be in a different area?

Ourobolus

Banned
I must be pretty overlevelled, or some people are really underlevelled. I just beat
Ares
and
Long
(the really early Challenge Quest bosses, prior to Tokyo) and had no trouble at all.
David
gave me plenty of trouble though, since he just casts Mamudo each round and it's a crapshoot, even with resistant gear.

I was level 12 at the time, but I don't remember doing any major grinding so far (well, ok, I remember a LITTLE bit in the forest since I wanted a skill from Pele). I do tend to kill every enemy when it's in my path though

Ouromoto.
The same thing I name all of my SMT/Persona characters. :)

Top Bottom