• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Kazdane

Well, here's some more incentive to hurry up with your P5R playthrough and pick up SMTVV. 😜

ksU1qFT.gif
Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So annoyed with the pre-rendered scenes that use in-game assets and are probably made for Switch so they're aliased, I guess they didn't build their engine to make it capable of doing that stuff though it's nothing radical so they faked it by not enhancing the quality past what you saw in game. I wonder if the scenes that are only for Vengeance also suffer the same or if they're higher quality (or even actually in-engine). Not that anyone would have complained if they were higher quality on Switch as well, maybe they'd chalk it up to just enhanced visual quality/AA for in-engine cut scenes.

Also getting loads of Unreal Engine® stutters on PC and there are next to no graphical options to increase some object/detail pop in distance and what not.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So annoyed with the pre-rendered scenes that use in-game assets and are probably made for Switch so they're aliased, I guess they didn't build their engine to make it capable of doing that stuff though it's nothing radical so they faked it by not enhancing the quality past what you saw in game. I wonder if the scenes that are only for Vengeance also suffer the same or if they're higher quality (or even actually in-engine). Not that anyone would have complained if they were higher quality on Switch as well, maybe they'd chalk it up to just enhanced visual quality/AA for in-engine cut scenes.

Also getting loads of Unreal Engine® stutters on PC and there are next to no graphical options to increase some object/detail pop in distance and what not.
Sadly that's something to be expected when it was originally made for the Switch and this is a port.
Hopefully going forward they use current gen consoles as the base platform and they'll be rendered in real-time and converted to videos for Nintendo platforms.

For anyone who is interested in seeing the differences:

PS5 is of course running locked 4K/60 with improved shadowing and environment detail

Switch upscales from 720p to 1080p (docked) or 480p to 720p (handheld) using FSR1 and runs at 30 fps but sometimes drops

That said, Switch doesn't look bad at all considering the hardware it has. The game was built for Switch first after all, and it runs fine just kinda blurry and at 30 fps

If you value portability, Switch is perfectly OK and you can also buy PC version if you want to play on Steam Deck

Last edited:
And speaking of side-quests, I had to help these poor succubi that were in hiding due to a mean angel hunting them down.

(Just look at them who wouldn't help them? :p)

QQYdtOR.gif

I took care of that baddie angel and then the succubi found a nice home in Tokyo where they once more started on feeding on the energy of humans. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

NTL4L76.gif

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does this also have multiple endings, and is their routes clearly defined? I'd rather aim for the true endings my first run.

Skifi28

Well Nekomata asked me for some fresh fish in her subquest so since I'm Nahobino I'll have to help her out with the request. I mean you can't let a demoness go hungry else innocent people might end up hurt. :p
And speaking of side-quests, I had to help these poor succubi that were in hiding due to a mean angel hunting them down.

(Just look at them who wouldn't help them? :p)

QQYdtOR.gif

I took care of that baddie angel and then the succubi found a nice home in Tokyo where they once more started on feeding on the energy of humans. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

NTL4L76.gif
The self sacrifice on display is inspiring to say the least.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Taking my time, specially since it was a sort of busy weekend, but man am I'm loving my time with the game.

Yesterday I beat the first big boss, the Hydra, and while I felt it was easier than on the vanilla game it was still a tense fight. That said, it probably felt easier beacuse I knew what was coming and how to deal with it.

Loving some of the new stuff like the demons getting closer to you with time. Some of them even got big buffs and even new skills, had a Daemon with Agilao early on which was super useful.

Can't wait to be done with work today and jumping back in.

I heard you can load your Switch save file on the PC version. Anyone confirm this?
How would you even get to do that?

I met the goddess Artemis for the first time yesterday. I've heard that the battle with her is pretty tough... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

fzDFc0I.gif

cat loop GIF

sigmaZ

Taking my time, specially since it was a sort of busy weekend, but man am I'm loving my time with the game.

Yesterday I beat the first big boss, the Hydra, and while I felt it was easier than on the vanilla game it was still a tense fight. That said, it probably felt easier beacuse I knew what was coming and how to deal with it.

Loving some of the new stuff like the demons getting closer to you with time. Some of them even got big buffs and even new skills, had a Daemon with Agilao early on which was super useful.

Can't wait to be done with work today and jumping back in.

How would you even get to do that?

cat loop GIF
Saw it on the Steam forums. Apparently you just rename the extension to .sav or something.

Sorry for the triple post, but when this scene happened two days ago in my playthrough I just couldn't believe it lol.

No half measures with this new canon of vengeance route. 😳

Obligatory

GQO4UuoXUAAJ-CF

Isa

I'm really enjoying it as expected. Playing on PS5 and I really appreciate the performance improvements. Combat's a blast, its fun to run around exploring, I love the art as usual. The Haunt is cool as well. Can't wait to add more demons to my compendium. Still love the Nahobino's long hair.

adamsapple

An answer to a question I asked earlier, hopefully this is also helpful for more first timers.

The game has 6 endings (including 2 for the new path), below link has a guide on how to get them. Obviously there are names of quests and some scenario spoilers there for those who are cautious about that kind of thing.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Was there no steelbook for EU pre-orders? I just got some DLC.

Going to put it on the backburner as SMTV wasn't that long ago and I just started Unicorn Overlord after finishing FF7 Rebirth.

adamsapple

I appreciate all the QoL options Atlus adds every new entry.

The art and structure is pretty reminiscent of Nocturne so far, and that's a-ok by me.

4pHYdmZ.jpeg

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I played 3 more hours, just beat the hydra in hard difficulty after having done all the side quest available. The boss felt way easier compared to vanilla SMT5, that I played in normal, but maybe I just got better at Megami Tensei after Soul Hackers 2 and P3R in hard :d

Absolutely in love: the game feels almost new with all the stuff they added, the gameplay is phenomenal, art direction and OST are mesmerizing and the demons are so fun to convert.

God Tier game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played 3 more hours, just beat the hydra in hard difficulty after having done all the side quest available. The boss felt way easier compared to vanilla SMT5, that I played in normal, but maybe I just got better at Megami Tensei after Soul Hackers 2 and P3R in hard :d

Absolutely in love: the game feels almost new with all the stuff they added, the gameplay is phenomenal, art direction and OST are mesmerizing and the demons are so fun to convert.

God Tier game.
There are two things, one we already have experience fighting Hydra on original game.

Second is this.
FOFpttm.png

This made it much more easier take on boss thats higher level than you.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before. Didn't play the original V.

Played the opening hours of this game, and I'm liking it so far. But I'm also worried it'll just go back to being that lame Persona-esque part at the intro, where you have to talk to people and make friends... hopefully not. If so, I'll probably bounce on this like I do every time I try playing Persona and just give up with the whole time management / dating sim thing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Played the opening hours of this game, and I'm liking it so far. But I'm also worried it'll just go back to being that lame Persona-esque part at the intro, where you have to talk to people and make friends... hopefully not. If so, I'll probably bounce on this like I do every time I try playing Persona and just give up with the whole time management / dating sim thing.
There is no time management or relationship building in this game, the closes you get is Demon hunt which have small dialogue with some your demon and human party members and thats it.

90% of this game you mostly going to spend exploring and fighting.

PanzerCute

There are two things, one we already have experience fighting Hydra on original game.

Second is this.
FOFpttm.png

This made it much more easier take on boss thats higher level than you.
True, I dont even know what level is the hydra. Might be that! Thanks.

SMT is the absolute opposite of Persona, don't worry: no S-link, no long dialogues, not a lot of characters, no long cinematics (except during the last 10% of the game, but believe me you won't want to skip them). You will spend 90% of the time actively playing the game and optimizing your demons/stats, exploring this eerie world with stunning atmopshere, recruit new amazing demons and have top notch fights.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is no time management or relationship building in this game, the closes you get is Demon hunt which have small dialogue with some your demon and human party members and thats it.

90% of this game you mostly going to spend exploring and fighting.

True, I dont even know what level is the hydra. Might be that! Thanks.

SMT is the absolute opposite of Persona, don't worry: no S-link, no long dialogues, not a lot of characters, no long cinematics (except during the last 10% of the game, but believe me you won't want to skip them). You will spend 90% of the time actively playing the game and optimizing your demons/stats, exploring this eerie world with stunning atmopshere, recruit new amazing demons and have top notch fights.

Thanks guys, sounds right up my alley then. Cheers.

Pejo

It's been a LOT of years since I played Nocturne, but I appreciate that this game lets you recruit higher-than-MC-level demons if it's part of a quest. One of the biggest drags of any SMT game for me is the forced strict demon progression. I don't want to use the little gruffballs and floating twirlies for 20 hours until I get to the good shit.

Megaten is arguably the oldest JRPG franchise, pre-dating even Final Fantasy. And throughout its history, it has always been a dungeon crawler. Persona is actually a spinoff of Megaten, not the other way around. And Megaten has preserved its roots even though its spinoff is today much more popular. Every SMT game is about dungeon crawling, having loopy conversations with demons, and getting randomly killed when an enemy oneshots your main character before you even get a turn and losing 3 hours of progress because you forgot to save. Have fun!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Last night I had my first fight with a Qadistu bitch. It went smoothly, I expected more of a challenge, although I think I got lucky and the charm status effects didn't fuck me over too much. The presentation in that scene was amazing tho.

Playing on hard, and still taking my sweet time. Think I'm around 16 hours in and still have to reach the Diet building. :goog_relieved:

Top Bottom