• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Seraphiel, the person playing the PS3 version from TEW forums, has updated impressions.

To anwser the camera question, it always pulls back so you only see the gun and Sebastian's hands.

why would they suddenly change it from all the previews, i thought people here on gaf said it depended on the situation/ area you are in, i.e tight spaces.
i really don't think this title needed to do that in every situation, tight corridors i can understand but it sucks that it's 100% of the time, at least it still shows his hand and not full on fps view

Xpliskin

As far as I'm aware, I'm receiving a Xbox one copy.

RP: from Alien OT by myself

I love me the classic RE's and SH, but I know I will get shit anyways- I'm not gonna recommend anybody doesn't follow their own impressions. Still frankly A:I is a way better horror title than TEW on last gen at least. No glee in saying that- RE1 (+Remake) and 4 are my favorite games bar none. But onto the issues:

First Alien doesn't feel like a terrible port. So far TEW has had some aweful IdTech5 pop-in that is- rough to the point where you wonder how this could go out to consumers (PS3 build). Early on there are building cranes that are focused on in the distance and take a full second to not look like minecraft off HDD. Brutal.

The textures (maybe) and the VO is- fine for 2002-2008- but not now. I realize some of that is engine based w/ megatextures. But the VO is arrrrggg. It is stilted and feels like it has very little direction. Very dated in a not campy or fun way.

At this point I want this horror renaissance to thrive so I'm not going to complain any more. There is clearly a lot of talent and great people working on both of these games. But while Alien has some cruft it takes a long time to feel it. TEW feels dated and (I really hate to say) unoriginal in a way I didn't expect almost right off the bat.

I like me some Amnesia and Outlast, but I'm not sure I wanted that to become the major thrust of Japanese horror from here on out. Hiding in literal lockers seems derivative in a way I wasn't looking for. And yes I know it existed in MGS and others before.

And I really do have a lot of respect for this new found interest in horror gaming so this isn't a fuck your favorite genre post.

I sincerely hope others disagree and find TEW a gem and I'm missing something. But right now I don't feel it at all after the first couple hours.

so, dude, about those impressions...mind posting a picture of your ps3 retail copy ?

Could anyone TEW my avatar? In SPACED Simon Pegg would play Resident evil 2, seemed appropriate.

skf8kJ6.png

Bl@de

Ok Guys I'm out of this thread until after I finished the game I guess. Sooner or later some twat is going to spoil the ending because of those broken street dates and not using spoiler tags.

happy TEW launch then I guess ...

EDIT: I will only show up after launch to post performance and IQ information about the pc version.
Having a Xeon 1230 (it's lika a 4770k) and 770 GTX with 2GB RAM some people may want to know what
they can achieve on TEW. With the game (most probably) being capped at 30fps I will also try to downsample
from 1620p or 4k (2160p). Of course I can say if there are any major bugs

When does the review embargo lifts?

And will you keep us updated via PM's? :)

No idea, I'm sure today I'll find out when I get the package, as for PM's come on now... that probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Also the people that are giving such big impressions, are most likely not playing a review copy, as you know, review copies, embargoes, all that stuff is usually locked down pretty good. Also as far as I'm aware, with these latest games, that are cross gen, I don't know that any of them actually send out the last gen versions for review. Take that as you will.

I don't like breaking down other peoples crafted messages either, but I also will say it didn't tell me much, not because its negative, but like... I haven't played Alien Isolation, all I know is I had a friend SUPER excited about it, been talking about it for months, could hardly sleep last night, and she was super disappointed by it and told me why in detail earlier today. Cheating AI who would be on the waterside of the map and then pop up right next to you when hiding in lockers, lack of gameplay variety, repetitiveness, among other things that tore away the fear factor and made it not scary or fun. That's all I know before I play it myself, from reviews and users and her I've taken Alien Isolation to be a like/dislike game, has some flaws, but has some things some people crave, and thus mixed reaction.

I like most kinds of horror, but does he not like it because it's not like amnesia, Outlast, that sort of horror? And rather play a game like that than something like old RE? Unoriginal as in how then? Many say Alien Isolation is styled like Amnesia with... Well, Aliens, so is that original and this isn't? Old-school is a bad thing to him, but isn't that exactly what the game has always been advertised as and one reason many of us are looking forward to it? Among other things.

Just didn't tell me much, but would be interested to hear negatives and pros in more detail (though avoid spoilers, if you will, a bit hard to do but yai. XD; )

Oh I def agree. I don't mind hearing negative comments, but he didn't tell me much other then texture work was not great which is expected from the PS3 version compared to current gen. Voice acting is always a very hit or miss with people anyways. I'd just like the poster to come back and detail his experience more cause the only thing I got from it was. "Alien I is better"

Also this:

LWr9h1X.png

Makes me do this:

WCAUitGS2WOnm.gif

RP: from Alien OT by myself

I love me the classic RE's and SH, but I know I will get shit anyways- I'm not gonna recommend anybody doesn't follow their own impressions. Still frankly A:I is a way better horror title than TEW on last gen at least. No glee in saying that- RE1 (+Remake) and 4 are my favorite games bar none. But onto the issues:

First Alien doesn't feel like a terrible port. So far TEW has had some aweful IdTech5 pop-in that is- rough to the point where you wonder how this could go out to consumers (PS3 build). Early on there are building cranes that are focused on in the distance and take a full second to not look like minecraft off HDD. Brutal.

The textures (maybe) and the VO is- fine for 2002-2008- but not now. I realize some of that is engine based w/ megatextures. But the VO is arrrrggg. It is stilted and feels like it has very little direction. Very dated in a not campy or fun way.

At this point I want this horror renaissance to thrive so I'm not going to complain any more. There is clearly a lot of talent and great people working on both of these games. But while Alien has some cruft it takes a long time to feel it. TEW feels dated and (I really hate to say) unoriginal in a way I didn't expect almost right off the bat.

I like me some Amnesia and Outlast, but I'm not sure I wanted that to become the major thrust of Japanese horror from here on out. Hiding in literal lockers seems derivative in a way I wasn't looking for. And yes I know it existed in MGS and others before.

And I really do have a lot of respect for this new found interest in horror gaming so this isn't a fuck your favorite genre post.

I sincerely hope others disagree and find TEW a gem and I'm missing something. But right now I don't feel it at all after the first couple hours.

So...you complain about hiding in lockers but say Alien Isolation, a game built almost entirely around hiding in or behind shit is more original? And how is Amnesia or Outlast-- two western games that have almost no bearing on Japanese horror or TEW's design (which is a combat oriented survival horror game)--indicative of TEW at all? If anything they are waayyyyy more similar to Alien, which is also a first person horror game where you mostly stealth, run away from things, and hide.

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on your post unless you have proof you have the game.

antitrop

So...you complain about hiding in lockers but say Alien Isolation, a game built almost entirely around hiding in or behind shit is more original? And how is Amnesia or Outlast-- two western games that have almost no bearing on Japanese horror or TEW's design (which is a combat oriented survival horror game)--indicative of TEW at all? If anything they are waayyyyy more similar to Alien, which is also a first person horror game where you mostly stealth, run away from things, and hide.

I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on your post unless you have proof you have the game.

That post wasn't even worth quoting again.

AsfaeksBR

Since the game is out in the wild, we better prepare for spoilers.
Be careful in what you guys read outside of NeoGAF, because I'm sure there will be people spreading every detail of the game

Xpliskin

I'm ready for some random Italian impressions.

Surge is from the US.

Had great luck with Sony products, but the support is trash. In the USA they mostly can't put together a coherent sentence from my experience. And no I'm not talking about accents or basic grammatical mistakes. I will admit my issues are based on limited experience with online support. Never dealt with MS or Ninty support so I'm not sure if they are any better though.

So this guy, not reviewing the game, not in europe, lives in the US, has access to the PS3 version one week before release and won't post a picture of his "retail copy".

With that, I'm almost at my train stop.

Koppai

Holy shit I am really excited for this western developed game...I dont have any money though :( maybe I can get it for Christmas?

Finally a game to play on PS4 :)

Luminaire

Probably, I totally forgot that Zwei was The Evil Within too. I have almost no interest in survival horror...could never get into Resident Evil. But this looks amazing :eek:

Don't spoil yourself with trailers. Gifs are fine but be careful! Go in blind just expecting a good game and I think you'll like it quite a bit~

I've been playing games since NES, and I've never played a Mikami game. Pathetic, I know. I am so pumped for this one.

(can someone Evil Within my avatar please?)

Top Bottom