• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Doesnt this game utilize a lot of classical music throughout the environment? That makes it sophisticated and shit rite guys

Don't ya laugh at my Clair de Lune! Got hyped when they put it in the trailer and gameplay stuff and shit.

Foggy

Tuesday evening I'm driving overnight to go to my sister's wedding. I won't be getting back home until Monday early in the am. So cruel. So awful.

xezuru

I'm pretty cautious about this but man I want it so bad.
Anyone wanna TEW my avatar? :)

OcTVbam.png
DsTdY7N.png
9yA55MH.png

Anyone mind Evilizing my avatar? Just barbed wires would be fine.

eTfVEiY.png
SKpkDBU.png
8G9Tghx.png

Can someone change my avatar please? :)
3dQHfvX.png
zWAodgq.png

I dunno, since I won't be able to play the game when it comes out, I feel like I am not worthy of my avatar.
cZN9EXX.png
P57CSlg.png
FeuFEa6.png

SURGEdude

RP: from Alien OT by myself

I love me the classic RE's and SH, but I know I will get shit anyways- I'm not gonna recommend anybody doesn't follow their own impressions. Still frankly A:I is a way better horror title than TEW on last gen at least. No glee in saying that- RE1 (+Remake) and 4 are my favorite games bar none. But onto the issues:

First Alien doesn't feel like a terrible port. So far TEW has had some aweful IdTech5 pop-in that is- rough to the point where you wonder how this could go out to consumers (PS3 build). Early on there are building cranes that are focused on in the distance and take a full second to not look like minecraft off HDD. Brutal.

The textures (maybe) and the VO is- fine for 2002-2008- but not now. I realize some of that is engine based w/ megatextures. But the VO is arrrrggg. It is stilted and feels like it has very little direction. Very dated in a not campy or fun way.

At this point I want this horror renaissance to thrive so I'm not going to complain any more. There is clearly a lot of talent and great people working on both of these games. But while Alien has some cruft it takes a long time to feel it. TEW feels dated and (I really hate to say) unoriginal in a way I didn't expect almost right off the bat.

I like me some Amnesia and Outlast, but I'm not sure I wanted that to become the major thrust of Japanese horror from here on out. Hiding in literal lockers seems derivative in a way I wasn't looking for. And yes I know it existed in MGS and others before.

And I really do have a lot of respect for this new found interest in horror gaming so this isn't a fuck your favorite genre post.

I sincerely hope others disagree and find TEW a gem and I'm missing something. But right now I don't feel it at all after the first couple hours.

Lucent

I love me the classic RE's and SH, but I know I will get shit anyways- I'm not gonna recommend anybody doesn't follow their own impressions. Still frankly A:I is a way better horror title than TEW on last gen at least. No glee in saying that- RE1 (+Remake) and 4 are my favorite games bar none. But onto the issues:

First Alien doesn't feel like a terrible port. So far TEW has had some aweful IdTech5 pop-in that is- rough to the point where you wonder how this could go out to consumers (PS3 build). Early on there are building cranes that are focused on in the distance and take a full second to not look like minecraft off HDD. Brutal.

The textures (maybe) and the VO is- fine for 2002-2008- but not now. I realize some of that is engine based w/ megatextures. But the VO is arrrrggg. It is stilted and feels like it has very little direction. Very dated in a not campy or fun way.

At this point I want this horror renaissance to thrive so I'm not going to complain any more. There is clearly a lot of talent and great people working on both of these games. But while Alien has some cruft it takes a long time to feel it. TEW feels dated and (I really hate to say) unoriginal in a way I didn't expect almost right off the bat.

I like me some Amnesia and Outlast, but I'm not sure I wanted that to become the major thrust of Japanese horror from here on out. Hiding in literal lockers seems derivative in a way I wasn't looking for. And yes I know it existed in MGS and others before.

And I really do have a lot of respect for this new found interest in horror gaming so this isn't a fuck your favorite genre post.

I sincerely hope others disagree and find TEW a gem and I'm missing something. But right now I don't feel it at all after the first couple hours.

Doesn't sound anything like what Game Informer said with their first 5 chapter playthrough. Said it was really nicely paced and even the partner AI, which usually sucks in games, was really good and believable.

And from what I've seen of the game it looks totally fine graphics wise. Getting the PS4 version so it should look plenty better than the PS4 version.

Sanctuary

Playing through RE4 recently I was wondering why it stood out/looked good and it was the film grain, I really dig it.

I'm a fan of that feature.

I always shut it off while playing Mass Effect.

I really want to play this game, but I just can't support lying to consumers. It's one of the huge problems in this industry and I need to put my money where my mouth is.

So where exactly did Bethesda/Tango lie to consumers about this game? The part where they kept withholding information? That's not the same as lying at all.

Arklite

Yeah I don't doubt that A:I has the greater tension. What's the general flow of TEW so far? Is it more of an RE4 level progression? Classic maze of locked doors everywhere? Is it heavy handed on the scripted events?

Doesn't sound anything like what Game Informer said with their first 5 chapter playthrough. Said it was really nicely paced and even the partner AI, which usually sucks in games, was really good and believable.

And from what I've seen of the game it looks totally fine graphics wise. Getting the PS4 version so it should look plenty better than the PS4 version.

My only problem with that post is it didn't really tell us why they didnt like it. For someone that's a few hours in, just talking about how it doesn't stack up to Alien Isolation isnt really giving us enough context.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My only problem with that post is it didn't really tell us why they didnt like it. For someone that's a few hours in, just talking about how it doesn't stack up to Alien Isolation isnt really giving us enough context.

I don't like breaking down other peoples crafted messages either, but I also will say it didn't tell me much, not because its negative, but like... I haven't played Alien Isolation, all I know is I had a friend SUPER excited about it, been talking about it for months, could hardly sleep last night, and she was super disappointed by it and told me why in detail earlier today. Cheating AI who would be on the waterside of the map and then pop up right next to you when hiding in lockers, lack of gameplay variety, repetitiveness, among other things that tore away the fear factor and made it not scary or fun. That's all I know before I play it myself, from reviews and users and her I've taken Alien Isolation to be a like/dislike game, has some flaws, but has some things some people crave, and thus mixed reaction.

I like most kinds of horror, but does he not like it because it's not like amnesia, Outlast, that sort of horror? And rather play a game like that than something like old RE? Unoriginal as in how then? Many say Alien Isolation is styled like Amnesia with... Well, Aliens, so is that original and this isn't? Old-school is a bad thing to him, but isn't that exactly what the game has always been advertised as and one reason many of us are looking forward to it? Among other things.

Just didn't tell me much, but would be interested to hear negatives and pros in more detail (though avoid spoilers, if you will, a bit hard to do but yai. XD; )

-MD-

Just didn't tell me much

The only thing the post really said was the PS3 version had pop in and the voice over was mediocre. One of which is probably a last gen exclusive and the other I don't care too much about.

I'd like to hear some gameplay impressions, why isn't the game as scary as Alien? Does the limited ammo make situations tense? Are you using a headset? What difficulty are you playing on etc.

ak1276

Banned
You guys are being too diplomatic.
You don't have to nicely explain why you don't like a crap post that is scant on details, poorly worded, and all over the place.

Arklite

You guys are being too diplomatic.
You don't have to nicely explain why you don't like a crap post that is scant on details, poorly worded, and all over the place.

Post seems sincere, not everyone is going to fall in love with every game. I'd like to know some more of why it felt unoriginal to him, though.

ak1276

Banned
Post seems sincere, not everyone is going to fall in love with every game. I'd like to know some more of why it felt unoriginal to him, though.

And therein lies why I call it a 'crap post.'
I could understand if he said 'I want to avoid spoiling anyone, so I'm going to NOT tell you guys what I don't like about this game.' It would be stupid, but I could see that being a thing.

However, THIS POST doesn't even do that; there's no definition, and while he may be sincere in his dissatisfaction, until he DEFINES WHY, it's a crap post.

Sanctuary

And therein lies why I call it a 'crap post.'
I could understand if he said 'I want to avoid spoiling anyone, so I'm going to NOT tell you guys what I don't like about this game.' It would be stupid, but I could see that being a thing.

However, THIS POST doesn't even do that; there's no definition, and while he may be sincere in his dissatisfaction, until he DEFINES WHY, it's a crap post.

He actually does define WHY, at least the technical and voice acting reasons, not necessarily all gameplay related.

ak1276

Banned
He actually does define WHY, at least the technical reasons, not necessarily all gameplay related.

That might be the disconnect, since I don't really understand how the lack of originality or prowess in a last gen port is shocking. As for the complaints about voice acting, I don't have any reason to contest that, since VA is usually pretty subjective.
I'm always more interested in mechanics over tech specs, though. And really, there's nothing about mechanics in the post that screams 'unoriginal.'

Sanctuary

That might be the disconnect, since I don't really understand how the lack of originality or prowess in a last gen port is shocking. As for the complaints about voice acting, I don't have any reason to contest that, since VA is usually pretty subjective.
I'm always more interested in mechanics over tech specs, though. And really, there's nothing about mechanics in the post that screams 'unoriginal.'

Well most of what we have been able to see hasn't been original. Everything so far seems to have been taken from past games (some that Mikami himself worked on) as well as more modern games that actually took ideas from his works. Not sure how that really matters since we kind of expected/wanted that anyway.

ak1276

Banned
Well most of what we have been able to see hasn't been original. Everything so far seems to have been taken from past games (some that Mikami himself worked on) as well as more modern games that actually took ideas from his works. Not sure how that really matters since we kind of expected/wanted that anyway.
I wouldn't say that re-using an idea negates the capability to use it in an original way, though. I guess at that point, it's more unoriginal vs. uninspired.

Dusk Golem

Seraphiel, the person playing the PS3 version from TEW forums, has updated impressions.

To anwser the camera question, it always pulls back so you only see the gun and Sebastian's hands.

Chapter 2

You can definitely notice the last gen look in chap 2, no AA on the foliage, the open spaces don't look as good.

Gameplay wise it's mostly stealth because shooting your way through just gets you killed fast, I knew that so I stealthed through. Sneak kills are pretty forgiving as in if they are turning around you can still execute them and you don't have to be right up to them. Was discovered 3 times, 2 times I used the bottle trick where you throw it at their head an can sneak kill them even if they spot you, other time I just got a lucky crit and the haunted's head exploded after 2 bullets.

To be honest the chapter felt kind of bland until the
end where Sebastian pulls some Leon acrobatics rofl, that made it 10x better :D

No frame drops but really meh graphics, though that's expected of last gen.

Sanctuary

Seraphiel, the person playing the PS3 version from TEW forums, has updated impressions.

Fix your spoiler. The way he's been playing is actually the way I thought you would most likely need to play to cheese through the game rather easily. But he's only on Chapter 2, and it would be a shame if all of the encounters were setup like that.

I think I'm out of here now until the 16th or so.

Arklite

He actually does define WHY, at least the technical and voice acting reasons, not necessarily all gameplay related.

Yeah most of his complaints seem to be of presentation, which I can understand if he's coming off of Isolation's impressive setting and good lead VA. Mikami's games have usually shined more through the nuts and bolts gameplay over pristine production values.

Lerozz

Thanks for posting this. Relevant for me. Had to google for the forums though. Good to see that the last gen version seems to look and run quite alright.

Lucent

Fix your spoiler. The way he's been playing is actually the way I thought you would most likely need to play to cheese through the game rather easily. But he's only on Chapter 2, and it would be a shame if all of the encounters were setup like that.

I think I'm out of here now until the 16th or so.

I really doubt it'll be all that easy. I don't think you'll always be in a situation where you can stealth. And I'm sure there are at least some monsters that aren't stealthable at all.

Xpliskin

a) You haven't tried Rage on PS3 I guess.
Literally the worst platform for id5, BD-drive seeks take ages, hence the pop-ins.

b) An old-school fan complaining about VO, "What is THIS "

Honestly in par with what I was expecting, more surviva/tensel than RE4 and slightly more horror but not indie scary.

How come you have the game early btw, you a reviewer ?

EDIT:

There's a pirated PS3 copy on the web.

SlasherJPC: don't tell me, out of all platforms, bethesda sent out PS3 review versions.

Would explain how this random guy got his hands on the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
a) You haven't tried Rage on PS3 I guess.
Literally the worst platform for id5, BD-drive seeks take ages, hence the pop-ins.

To be fair though .. Wolfenstein on PS3 was just fine. Never dropped below 60 FPS and a lot better for popin etc compared to Rage. Did have a massive 8GB ish install though, so most of the game-data was probably running off the HDD and not blu ray.

Dusk Golem

More impressions from the same guy I quoted above.

Chapter 3

More of the same in an open area. Lots of scavenging, if you play stealthy you get enough supplies, matches are really overabundant but maybe that's just because I am sneak killing every haunted/using 1hit kill items. I used maybe 3 matches? The
mini boss fight
was a lot more action-y but it was really easy since I abused the agony crossbow and all the trap parts I scavenged.

Traps and trap chests are easy to disarm.

Village setting with stables/barns and a few houses, lots of traps, a sniper haunted and The Sadist. Used flash bolts to blind him and knife him, 3 of those + 1 explosive bolt killed him. Story was basically Jimenez lured a bunch of haunted away while I had to open a door, it was blocked by a quite sturdy chain and you guessed it...I needed the sadist chainsaw, he was conveniently chained up in a stable and breaks free when you return to him. Once he died he turned into those blood particles you see at the end of chap 9 demos and returned to Ruvik who walked away through the door I had to unlock.

Ok friends I don't know if I want to continue doing the impressions on PS3, the thing is I am enjoying the game and surprisingly it runs pretty ok at 30 FPS but the visuals are just not there for me and it's too dark on (PS3), I don't feel like cheesing through by upping the gamma.

I'll play chapter 4 later and then decide if nothing else I'll continue on the PC at release date for those who can't get the game then.

Dusk Golem

Some impressions from a new user:

Firstly, they took a lot of screens of the upgrade stuff in the game: http://imgur.com/a/Klac2

I have been playing it for the last two days now. I completed chapter 5 last night.
System: PS3

Graphics:
First of all as most of you know now most games with the ID5 engine has texture loading issues but I can assure you this game doesn't. Graphically its decent but feels not polished enough. There are some bugs as well (clipping mostly). Except those the graphics are not consistent, with some filters (there are some red filters and blue ones at certain scenes) the game looks awesome at times and very decent sometimes. Its just not polished well. After the Digital Foundry article we will see but I believe the game runs around 25fps most times. That's the feeling it gives at least.

Sound:

Sound design is very well done, but I can't say I liked the voice work much. It feels like a decent Hollywood action flick if you know what I mean. Sounds are well done, that's you can clearly understand if an enemy is far or close, you don't even need to see them. Music's are good too, i only heard classical music but it brings the tension up and makes you jumpy.

Controls:

Controls are tight and well done. Just like Resident Evil 4 for those who are wondering (In terms of tightness). You can issue your weapons, grenades and items to directional pad and select them with one touch of the button. If inventory is brought up the game doesn't stops but goes into slow motion (really slow) so you can do whatever you want in the middle of the combat.

Now for some gameplay mechanics and details:

-Stealth is really a valid option in this game. I completed one chapter completely stealthy.
-Enemies are very quick to react to sounds. This works both ways, you can manipulate them using empty bottles (You can throw them) or by kicking doors. They tend to lose your ''scent'' quickly though in open areas, you can quickly run away and hide.
-Melee weapons are very brutal and useful though after one use they are broken. Melee weapons are also one hit one kill for normal enemies (Haunted).
-While they said ammo is very scarce, i had no problems up until so Chapter 5 as i stealth killed most enemies.
-Mini bosses tend to be much harder to kill and you usually use your ammo on them as they are brutal and follow you relentlessly.
-There are many kind of traps in the game. Bear trap, motion sensor bombs, booby trap bombs. You can pick to disarm them for parts (which you make arrows for your crossbow) or you can manipulate enemies into them. Its up to you.
-There are little statues. Shoot them as they give you keys. You can use those keys to open lockers in game's hub place and get gifts (ammo, gel, etc.)
-The game really has that survival horror feeling. Its the much deserved following to Resident Evil 4 so far and gives you much freedom with how you want to play the game.
-Crossbow is your all around weapon.

I will update as i play more. If you have any questions, ask please.

Dusk Golem

Also says 5 chapters in, his current play time says he's played the game for 3:39:03. Game has 15-16 chapters, though they could get longer, as Chapters 4 and 5 used to be just chapter 4, but the chapter was split into two.

I' still worried about the replayability. Resi4 was highly replayable (new weapons, costumes, etc) but it was also more action-orientated. TEW is more stealth/ survival ...hmmm

WITHE1982

Some impressions from a new user:

Firstly, they took a lot of screens of the upgrade stuff in the game: http://imgur.com/a/Klac2

Great Impressions.

I'm loving the sound of this game more and more. If it turns out to be half as good as RE4 I'll still be mightily impressed. I've held back on Alien Isolation and Drive Club for this so I'm hoping it lives up to my hype.

So far it looks like a real survival horror. Something I've not had since... Well since RE4, SH4 or Siren: Blood Curse.

Vaiim

My hype is rebuilding a bit, thanks to the impressions posted, after the PC 30fps cboat downer.

Definitely still going to wait and see though, but purely to find out if the PC is a passable port, as I'm not worried about the actual game itself. However I am wondering if to leave my preorder, and return the game unopened instead, if the impressions are bad.

Still hugely disappointed though, but that's what I get for over-hyping myself lol.

Xpliskin

To be fair though .. Wolfenstein on PS3 was just fine. Never dropped below 60 FPS and a lot better for popin etc compared to Rage. Did have a massive 8GB ish install though, so most of the game-data was probably running off the HDD and not blu ray.

Can't you tell I'm very biased ?

Shop said they might have it by saturday, depending on the delivery time, if I'm lucky.

Be wary of spoilers,
people are already going through the game.
Broken street dates/Pirated copies.

Have to temporarily add risky members to ignore, sorry.

J4g3r

PS4 special edition pre-ordered, now to find out if there's going to be a midnight release near me.

Oh and I finally found time to add some evil to my avatar..!

Mendrox

Can't you tell I'm very biased ?

Shop said they might have it by saturday, depending on the delivery time, if I'm lucky.

Be wary of spoilers,
people are already going through the game.
Broken street dates/Pirated copies.

Have to temporarily add risky members to ignore, sorry.

Game is not pirated yet, so just be wary in general. Well people who have a broken street date copy have better things to do than spoil the game for you. :)

Top Bottom