• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Apple announces the iPhone 5

patsu

I just assumed that meant they were going from dual-core Cortex A9 to quad-core A9, and from dual-core graphics to quad (like what the A5X in the new iPad has now). Is there some other way they could've doubled the CPU/GPU performance? I kinda doubt they went to Cortex A15 CPU cores, although that would be freaking awesome.

It is unclear how many cores the CPU has. The performance improvement may come from something else also, like clock speed and other design changes.

I think the GPU cores may have increased. I am not sure. I'm sure other sites will cover.

2San

GAF has had a new-threads-for-new-news policy for quite a while now.

Personally, I think that the announcement of the next iteration of one of the world's best-selling gaming platforms, counts as news. I'm funny like that.
Never said it wasn't news. Just think smartphone news belongs in off topic. It's a full fledged gaming platform, but many things are.
Well, we'd have game discussion in these if they weren't full of de/justification of the thread itself :p

I, for one, would love to see JSR on this thing.
Never played JSR, so no idea if would or would not work. :O

I'm really concerned for the games out there right now that are going to get the letterbox treatment: a ton of them will most likely break (just as we've seen when the transition from 3GS -> 4 (Retina) and iPad 2 -> 3 (Also Retina)). A lot of games were going to rely on hard coded coordinates.

Expect to see a rash of updates a week after the phone comes out...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Feel free to make them. iOS is a platform with many great games like Super Hexagon. I think I'm okay to make a thread
That game looks awesome. How's the performance in it? I don't think many people know, but it's built entirely in Flash (the iphone/ipad version)

hachi

Banned
sv7S2.jpg

Finally my dainty hands will look more impressive by reference.

Why is this in the gaming section? It's a cellphone.
I hate Apple, and I think it belongs here. iOS is a platform that developers are putting money into, so it makes sense to have it here.

Unless you think iOS games don't deserve threads on the Gaming side either. Don't you think it would be weird to have iOS game threads, but disallow the platform?

Psi

This would be better in off topic but whatever.

Considering replacing my Droid X closer to Christmas.

Pillville

If you don't like iPhones, or don't consider them legitimate gaming machines, skip this topic. It's not that hard to do.

If you are personally offended that it sells well and its store contains thousands of games, then you have a problem, not everyone else.

Was hoping for something a lot more exciting the way the event was huped but this looks like a really good phone that will get a lot of app support. Oh and this can be in gaming as much as vita can. Its a lot more relevabt to games than that ever will be.

Mario007

Dude, screen is 4 inches. What did you expect? 4K?

It has a higher PPI (326 vs. 306) than my 4.8 inches 720p Galaxy S3. And honestly, 4.8 is a little too much for a phone imo. It's hard to use with one hand and it's freakin huge in my pockets.

4.2 inches with 720p would have been a winner, actually. Especially when you have phones like Xperia S with 4.3 inches having absolutely gorgeous screen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Game Informer and Giantbomb just posted iPhone 5 articles. You should tell them it isn't gaming related too.

Xarudace

Banned
4.2 inches with 720p would have been a winner, actually. Especially when you have phones like Xperia S with 4.3 inches having absolutely gorgeous screen.

This may be surprising, but some people don't want their phones to be the size of televisions. I think 4 inches is far bigger than I'd want. 3.5 was good. At 4.2 I wouldn't even consider buying the phone. At 4, I'm leaning towards not getting it and I've never owned a smart phone other than the iPhone.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm really concerned for the games out there right now that are going to get the letterbox treatment: a ton of them will most likely break (just as we've seen when the transition from 3GS -> 4 (Retina) and iPad 2 -> 3 (Also Retina)). A lot of games were going to rely on hard coded coordinates.

Expect to see a rash of updates a week after the phone comes out...

They already showed what 3:2 960x640 apps will look like. They have small black bars on the top and bottom, but they still run at the exact same size/resolution/aspect ratio. I don't think it will break anything

Xarudace

Banned
The issue is not whether the iPhone is capable of playing games. I think the obvious issue is whether or not it is more appropriately off-topic or gaming. It's clearly off-topic as playing games is very far down on the list of things the iPhone is meant to do. This press release says nothing about gaming. The thread should be off topic because it is about the iPhone, not about games on the iPhone.

The issue is not whether the iPhone is capable of playing games. I think the obvious issue is whether or not it is more appropriately off-topic or gaming. It's clearly off-topic as playing games is very far down on the list of things the iPhone is meant to do. This press release says nothing about gaming. The thread should be off topic because it is about the iPhone, not about games on the iPhone.
We still have 360 threads on the gaming side don't we?

i agree

also we should move any PC related threads into off-topic too because most of the worlds pcs arent used for gaming either

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Can we move the Xbox 360 threads to Off Topic too? They're just entertainment devices that happen to play video games.

Top Bottom