• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we be having kids in the age of climate change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort of like saying a 7-year old dying from cancer was a waste of time and resources. That that person's life had no meaning and should never have existed.

Focus on having less kids and putting more into them if you want them rather than having none at all.

Voyevoda

Relevant Utopia scene

"Nothing uses carbon like a first-world human. Yet you created one.

Why? Why would you do that? He will produce 515 tonnes of carbon in his lifetime. That’s 40 trucks’ worth. Having him was the equivalent of nearly 6,500 flights to Paris. You could have flown 90 times a year, there and back, nearly every week of your life, and still not had the same impact on the planet as his birth had.

Not to mention the pesticides, detergents, the huge quantity of plastics, the nuclear fuels used to keep him warm. His birth was a selfish act. It was brutal. You have condemned all this to suffering. In fact, if you really cared what you’d do is cut his throat open right now."

Came in here with this quote in mind. Wonderful show.

Goliath

Jesus people!

Human kind was having children when food wasn't plentiful, when populations of people were being killed by disease, when we were involved in a World War and when there was fear of a nuclear holocaust. Now people want to stop having kids because of global warming? Come off this hyperbole BS. Live your life, do your best to leave this place better then it was and stop expecting the world to end after you leave. Many generations assumed that and were wrong. I mean there is nothing selfish about bringing life into this world, especially if you are smart enough to teach your offspring to help improve this world. All the stupid people are having kids without a care in the world.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
"Science, experts, lol"

And we all know how that ends.

I understand the human impact on biodiversity. I don't understand having an ideological block towards technology and advancements that can help promote biodiversity and our population, such as GE animals and foods. That site is ideological, not science based.

All the more reason we need advanced carbon sink technology to take on what we put out in excess.

We have to be our own janitors when it comes to carbon.

Dreavus

Jesus people!

Human kind was having children when food wasn't plentiful, when populations of people were being killed by disease, when we were involved in a World War and when there was fear of a nuclear holocaust. Now people want to stop having kids because of global warming? Come off this hyperbole BS. Live your life, do your best to leave this place better then it was and stop expecting the world to end after you leave. Many generations assumed that and were wrong. I mean there is nothing selfish about bringing life into this world, especially if you are smart enough to teach your offspring to help improve this world. All the stupid people are having kids without a care in the world.

Speaking frankly this is honestly one of the points that gives me pause. Even if all the environmentally conscientious people decide to band together and not have families, guess who won't give a shit about that and keep having kids anyways? I mean it's not like it's a zero sum game or anything (well, I guess maybe it could be someday) but it's something to chew on.

I like the idea of not going crazy with a giant family, but avoiding kids you otherwise would want to have seems like going a bit overboard.

Goliath

Speaking frankly this is honestly one of the points that gives me pause. Even if all the environmentally conscientious people decide to band together and not have families, guess who won't give a shit about that and keep having kids anyways? I mean it's not like it's a zero sum game or anything (well, I guess maybe it could be someday) but it's something to chew on.

I like the idea of not going crazy with a giant family, but avoiding kids you otherwise would want to have seems like going a bit overboard.

Not to mention the fact that the worlds problems can't be fixed by one generation. Having, educating and instilling a sense of responsibility in our next generation is what is going to solve the problem not avoiding procreation in general.

Astral Dog

I have a feeling that many here never planned or wanted to have kids in the first place, but now using the climate excuse to make it seem like it's some kind of altruistic, benevolent decision and sacrifice, instead of "I don't want kids, because they're a shitload of responsibility, money, compromise my freedom, and a pain in the ass".

So, should humanity voluntarily exterminate itself, if not having kids is the "moral" thing to do?
You are exaggerating a bit, no? Nobody said that not having kids is the moral thing to do, as a species, but maybe thinking about overpopulation and being aware a bit is not so bad either.

Ashes

Banned
That's what I meant. But that goes with better birth control and the help of many health agencies. But I guess my point is that 'overpopulation' isn't the existential threat we once feared it was.

The ecology of human systems is easier to misunderstand due to its complexity.

jet1911

There's this documentary about this very premise, Idiocracy I think.

TBiddy

Just basing it on where we are currently at from a development standpoint. Syrian refugees and the whole migration crisis gave power to the right back again. Imagine a refugee crisis that is ten fold in size.

Hey I am all for breakthrough tech that will save the world but reading a lot of papers and expert opinions on climate change, the realistic outcome is "basic survival". And I am not nihilistic about it, I sincerely hope that what I believe will happen, will not, and that I am in the wrong.

The issue with this is that it's very hard to predict the future. If we go back 30-40-50 years and look at where we are now, it's mindblowing. I can't wait to see where science has taken us in 40 years, which amazing things has been invented to remove our dependency on fossil fuel, to increase our food output without straining the earths resources etc.

airjoca

I have a 3 month old baby. I'm aware I might have to educate him to be a Mad Max / Kevin Costner in Waterworld / John Connor mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom