• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/445878?ref=activity

Update # 10: MANAMI MATSUMAE, THE ORIGINAL COMPOSER OF MEGA MAN, IS WRITING SONGS FOR SHOVEL KNIGHT!!!!

"This is the first time I'm working on a Western game! It's quite exciting! Shovel Knight and I are a good fit. So... let's get shovelin'?" - Manami Matsumae

With trembling fingers, we type those words. But it’s true! Manami Matsumae, the legendary composer of Mega Man and U.N. Squadron (among many others), is going to compose two songs for Shovel Knight!

----

c6af74061883fdcc350e776c86ea5bfa_large.gif

----

a12bd8198a3e94c2a52a8a9a22aefacc_large.gif

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. It's a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls! You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest. Shovel Knight has come to this valley with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved. He wields a ShovelBlade: a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages. Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!

But, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights. These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress, and will pursue their mission at any cost.

If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you! If you don’t, then what? How could you not be into that stuff? Keep reading, you’ll come around!

Great music is central to great games, so it’s with incredible excitement that we can announce that Jake “Virt” Kaufman is composing the soundtrack for Shovel Knight! For those of you who don’t know, Jake is one of the most talented audio guys in the game biz, contributing on games from Mighty Switch Force to Contra 4 to Shantae. His most recent work on Double Dragon Neon has garnered as much praise as the game itself!

Shovel Knight is currently nearing the end of preproduction. This means that the game design has been written, the main character designs and story have been created, and we have a plan for moving forward. We have an early build of the game that proves out our game mechanics and technology; you can see some footage in the trailer and we'll also be at PAX East!

However, many things are still up in the air. Enemies and objects need to be designed and drawn. Audio, Animation, and Backgrounds need to be crafted. Lastly, we need to polish everything to a mirror sheen. Basically, we have what you saw in the video. Now we need to make the whole game.

So, we think this is a great time in the process to involve the community. We have a skeleton to build on, but we want you to be the meat!

Much more in the link below.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

17de148a9f79448fe4f7f0d2aadd7d9c_large.gif

9eac82c572bc3a498da53aeafc7b677d_large.png

5be3b96b0d880408253ead524df2b960_large.png

Award Tiers include the game, an instruction booklet, soundtrack, joining design hangouts, and even having your likeness put in the game!

So far, only PC has been announced, but it looks like it will also be on Nintendo platforms, as it is being covered by Nintendo Force Issue #2. I bet it'll go everywhere, though. :p

Awesome looking stuff!

zroid

Banned
That looks amazing. Going to withhold pledging for the time being, as I'd rather wait for stretch goals or some such that will include the probable Nintendo release.

edit: BTW, in case anyone forgot / wasn't aware, these are the ex-WayForward dudes.

Even more impressed after seeing the trailer. Damn.

Was thinking, "o lawd, another retro indie platform game," until I watched the video and realized that this was from those ex-Wayforward guys. Dropped a tenner on it.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Virt is doing the music?!? INSTANT PLEDGE

This explains why it sounds as well done as it does.

Color me interested.

I also like how this game is actually consistent in style unlike alot of other indie games which try to look 8-bit but then add elements that clearly don't fit the 8-bit motif.

I'll keep a look on this.

I also like how this game is actually consistent in style unlike alot of other indie games which try to look 8-bit but then add elements that clearly don't fit the 8-bit motif.

Most of those games are made by guys who were born 10 or 12 years after the NES was big, see screenshots of Colecovision games or Wizard of Wor on Atari Age or "gaming history" sites and think it's all the same shit

Drakken

Was great until I watched the trailer, then it was awesome.

Great music is central to great games, so it’s with incredible excitement that we can announce that Jake “Virt” Kaufman is composing the soundtrack for Shovel Knight! For those of you who don’t know, Jake is one of the most talented audio guys in the game biz, contributing on games from Mighty Switch Force to Contra 4 to Shantae. His most recent work on Double Dragon Neon has garnered as much praise as the game itself!

Yes.

Orayn

A real reproduction of 8-bit visuals with some modern touches, rather than just blocky for the sake of "retro?" Great music? Looks fantastic! Backed!

PhantomR

Banned
That looks amazing. Going to withhold pledging for the time being, as I'd rather wait for stretch goals or some such that will include the probable Nintendo release.

Bingo. Announce this for 3DS and/or Wii U, and my wallet is there's. I might do the $75 level.

wrowa

I got kinda annoyed when I read 8bit style, since it's so overused by now.

Then I saw the trailer.

Looks fantastic!

vareon

I got kinda annoyed when I read 8bit style, since it's so overused by now.

Then I saw the trailer.

Looks fantastic!

Exactly what I had in mind, lol. "Oh look, another kickstarter of retro-styled game with---" then I read ex-WayForward, then the trailer.

hiryu

Looks pretty great and it's inspired by some of my favorite games. I put on my watch list. The music if fantastic so far.

Uh, this is the greatest thing ever. Backed. Word spread. Let's get this done.
Bingo. Announce this for 3DS and/or Wii U, and my wallet is there's. I might do the $75 level.
Guarantee an official confirmation comes via a stretch goal once they make it. Yep, no IFs here, no SIR.

From the FAQ:
The Yacht Club said:
Shovel Knight is announced for PC only, but we are hoping to release on Wii U and 3DS! After that, the sky's the limit and we want to put Shovel Knight on as many platforms as possible, depending on our time and resources. We all own Vitas, PS3's, and Xboxes, and would love to see Shovel Knight on there too! As soon as we have something to announce, you will be the first to know!!

ezekial45

Banned
Show me a 2D World Map, and I just melt. I don't know what it is about it, but I just love them.

Anyway, the game looks pretty cool. I'm digging this resurgence in 2D sidescrollers.

Phazeta

Neo Member
This looks like almost Miyamoto-esque game design. You know, the whole "a good idea solves multiple problems at once" thing. It really permeates throughout the trailer. Looking forward to this.

This looks like almost Miyamoto-esque game design. You know, the whole "a good idea solves multiple problems at once" thing. It really permeates throughout the trailer. Looking forward to this.

Copy Ducktales is a pretty good game design, I agree :)

This looks great though and has lots of character.

The bosses look epic

Ducktales, woo oooh

Crossed with what appears to be Zelda II-like combat as the enemies seem to keep distance in a similar way. Excellent music and look and already polished-feeling from that trailer's footage. Backed.

(Also, I think any KS project threads should always put the link to the KS page at the very top of the topic post. Helps people easily find the actual place to pledge and read and see more.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Their targeted goal is extremely high compared to other games that have shown up on Kickstarter like this.

zroid

Banned
Would be fun if it ends up in a Republique down-to-the-wire situation! But hopefully they will exceed their goal healthily.

Top Bottom