• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

mojo2

Neo Member
That song is the best! I was just waiting for confirmation about Nintendo platforms, can't wait to see it in glorious HD on big screen.
First pledge for me, first no brainer I ever saw there.

I like the look of this but I have to wonder how long it would take them to get this approved for placement on Nintendo's eShop.

Why is this a Kickstarter when it looks to be a complete game already? And people make and release 8bit platformers all the time on their own time and money, just look at games like Battle Kid.

Sorry, but i dont see the need to fund this :/

OutToLunch

Neo Member
Why is this a Kickstarter when it looks to be a complete game already? And people make and release 8bit platformers all the time on their own time and money, just look at games like Battle Kid.

Eh, looks can be deceiving. They have an engine and assets and have produced some content but it's impossible to gauge how far along they are in development at this point. Probably still need to create additional assets, content, levels, etc. Tune, iterate and debug all of the content and then port everything across multiple platforms. Still seems like an awful lot of work left to me.

mojo2

Neo Member

I tend to think $15 is not funding, it's pre-ordering the game.

why would it take much time at all?

Haven't the Toki Tori devs been struggling to get their game approved for Wii U release? I think it's just now reaching the final approval stages. From what I understand Nintendo is pretty rigid with independent digital releases on their platform. Correct me if I'm wrong.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Why is this a Kickstarter when it looks to be a complete game already?

Shovel Knight is currently nearing the end of preproduction. This means that the game design has been written, the main character designs and story have been created, and we have a plan for moving forward. We have an early build of the game that proves out our game mechanics and technology; you can see some footage in the trailer and we'll also be at PAX East!

However, many things are still up in the air. Enemies and objects need to be designed and drawn. Audio, Animation, and Backgrounds need to be crafted. Lastly, we need to polish everything to a mirror sheen. Basically, we have what you saw in the video. Now we need to make the whole game.

Please read at least part of the first post before posting.

And people make and release 8bit platformers all the time on their own time and money, just look at games like Battle Kid.

A homebrew project done by one person over two years is different than a game that several professionals will be working on full-time for (presumably) only six months. (Guessing here, since the delivery dates are in September.)
Console certification is not free. Devkits are not free. Office space is not free. Yacht Club Games needs to feed themselves and their families, so they must pay themselves salaries.

If you don't think it's worth it, that's cool. I'm not telling you how to spend your $15. But this is what it's going toward.

Haven't the Toki Tori devs been struggling to get their game approved for Wii U release? I think it's just now reaching the final approval stages. From what I understand Nintendo is pretty rigid with independent digital releases on their platform. Correct me if I'm wrong.

toki tori got rejected for failing nintendo's QA tests last month so they had to resubmit, nothing particularly difficult about that

FloatOn

Zelda 2 down thrust that turns into Ducktails pogo is probably the best thing I've seen in quite some time.

Will buy.

mclem

Zelda 2 down thrust that turns into Ducktails pogo is probably the best thing I've seen in quite some time.

Weren't they always effectively the same thing, at least from a combat standpoint? I recall that as soon as I got the down thrust in Zelda 2 I started playing the game fundamentally like Mario, pogoing off any enemy I could.

Chairhome

Weren't they always effectively the same thing, at least from a combat standpoint? I recall that as soon as I got the down thrust in Zelda 2 I started playing the game fundamentally like Mario, pogoing off any enemy I could.

The big difference between the downward stab and the pogo stick is that you could bounce off the floor or other objects, not just enemies, in ducktales.

Hmm, I want to back, should I do Wii U or 3DS? I have time to figure it out :-D

The big difference between the downward stab and the pogo stick is that you could bounce off the floor or other objects, not just enemies, in ducktales.

Hmm, I want to back, should I do Wii U or 3DS? I have time to figure it out :-D

You can't choose yet anyway so give them the thousands of dollars you were planning to pledge already. :)

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Backing this for sure now that the Wii U and 3DS download codes are confirmed. Now to settle on a contribution level...

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Edit: Kicktraq has this trending towards ~$160k, which it probably won't make but $100k should be in the realm of possibility. Some Nintendo fanpages need to drum up some publicity for shoveltry.

I bet it'll blow past 100k easy. Just from last night to now they've made $5,757. It's been 6 days out of 30 so far. Their lowest days will probably be somewhere around $1000-2000 and then in the last 7 days or so it'll go crazy with tons of backers. They should probably consider adding stretch goals to utilize all that extra money...

mojo2

Neo Member
I bet it'll blow past 100k easy. Just from last night to now they've made $5,757. It's been 6 days out of 30 so far. Their lowest days will probably be somewhere around $1000-2000 and then in the last 7 days or so it'll go crazy with tons of backers. They should probably consider adding stretch goals to utilize all that extra money...

They'll be at PAX so definitely some of new backers from there. Stretch goals? Yeah.. And sequel, I'd say :D

honorless

Have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it's not get a WiiU/3DS code with a PC download for $15 like a lot of other kickstarters have done, but it's probably not going to be a dealbreaker for me.

superbank

They'll be at PAX so definitely some of new backers from there. Stretch goals? Yeah.. And sequel, I'd say :D

Dang, PAX too? This is a well planned kickstart. They'll probably pass reach 160k as well.

Have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it's not get a WiiU/3DS code with a PC download for $15 like a lot of other kickstarters have done, but it's probably not going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Yeah their rewards don't seem to be as good as other projects. Dunno whats up with that.

Yeah their rewards don't seem to be as good as other projects. Dunno whats up with that.

Compared to Mercenary Kings the lower (<100$) rewards look about the same, only thing that's missing is appearing in the credits and obviously this is YC's first game so they can't really give out free games :p

I'm interested in what Kickstarters are giving out PC and console codes though.

Ndayday

Neo Member
I don't normally do Kickstarter things but freaking shovels? virt? ex-WayForward? Wii U and 3DS? I'm totally on board this ...wait for it...

...yacht.

I didn't even realize it had passed the 50% mark on its 7th day and this is before PAX East. Pretty well-timed Kickstarter actually:

Day 1/2: Announcement, get word out
Day 6: Announce Wii U and 3DS versions
Day 9-11: PAX East hype

I'd say it should be pretty close to or even past 75k by the end of PAX East.

mojo2

Neo Member
I asked yesterday about regions with consoles and they answered this morning and put the question in there with the others, now I feel I should put more money on the table because of the "customer service" haha :D
Except that it seems they don't know if Eurolands are getting the game at the same time as good ole U.S of A. :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
Except that it seems they don't know if Eurolands are getting the game at the same time as good ole U.S of A. :(

They can't possibly know this sort of thing beforehand, but just based on the track record of other indie eShop games I'd be very surprised if they manage a simultaneous release in both regions.

superbank

I didn't even realize it had passed the 50% mark on its 7th day and this is before PAX East. Pretty well-timed Kickstarter actually:

Day 1/2: Announcement, get word out
Day 6: Announce Wii U and 3DS versions
Day 9-11: PAX East hype

I'd say it should be pretty close to or even past 75k by the end of PAX East.

That's what I'm saying. :)

Day 24-30: Flood of last minute backers

And then factor in additional feature announcements and possible press coverage to boost their low days. Of course this all hinged on the concept resonating with gamers, that's the real reason for interest. There's probably another project following these steps closely that we aren't aware of for a variety of reason. Be sure to make threads for projects if you find them fellow gaffers!

Looking at their rewards again they're not that bad. I suppose I was reacting to the soundtrack at the $60 dollar level.

If you actually read the Kickstarter page, you might have noticed that they mentioned that everything you saw in the trailer was everything they had to show. There is no structured game to show at this point, just a few single screens of generic enemies.

honorless

I'm interested in what Kickstarters are giving out PC and console codes though.
For two, Republique and Zen's pinball kickstarters gave out PC + console codes for $20. (...Okay, so my gut said it was close but I didn't remember the exact price others had done it for, sue me.) :p

I'm indecisive, so not being forced to choose between PC and 3DS would be nice. YCG doesn't have to pay a third party per PC copy, either.

For two, Republique and Zen's pinball kickstarters gave out PC + console codes for $20. (...Okay, so my gut said it was close but I didn't remember the exact price others had done it for, sue me.) :p

I'm indecisive, so not being forced to choose between PC and 3DS would be nice. YCG doesn't have to pay a third party per PC copy, either.

You mean the Twilight Zone/Star Trek Pinball kickstarters by FarSight? But yeah, they might add another tier for 2 copies. Who knows!

Edit: Shovel Knight made almost 4k today :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm in if they'll do a Wii U and 3DS tier for 25. Otherwise I'll let everyone else fund it and just buy it after it comes out and people have reviewed, assuming it reviews well.

I'm very pleased with how this is going. Low projection seems to be around $120k, which is very respectable and should allow for 1-2 stretch goals.

The typo in the title is pretty annoying though D:

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
paid 15, so they'll email me asking what platform i want it on when it's near done, i assume? i didn't have to specify anything right away

paid 15, so they'll email me asking what platform i want it on when it's near done, i assume? i didn't have to specify anything right away

yup

Wii U and 3DS game codes will be made available to everyone who pledges $15 or more. Upon release, you can choose (1) which version of the game you prefer: Windows PC, Wii U, or 3DS!

Probably because they still have to get through Nintendo cert and Steam Greenlight.

Wow. This looks right up my alley.
I don't care about the complaints about too many retro games being made. I don't like most modern games so it's never enough for me!

This looks dope.

I generally avoid video game Kickstarters though, so good luck to them, I will definitely buy it once released.

superbank

So um, Wayforward is making DuckTales Remastered. Coming summer 2013. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528039

So what do you guys think happened, or have Yacht Club commented on why they left? Obviously Shovel Knight will be its own beast, but with a similar bouncing mechanic there are some parallels there. If you've already played DT (which embarrassingly I haven't, I fucking love that moon song though) you might want a new take on that gameplay instead of a straight remaster. It's definitely peculiar of Yacht Club to go with similar mechanics. My speculation (even though I don't know any important details)? The YC guys were probably getting antsy doing only licensed remakes and wanted to do something original. SK is their way of saying "See, we can make NEW retro-style games and be successful!"

Maybe they'll adress it now that it's revealed.

So um, Wayforward is making DuckTales Remastered. Coming summer 2013. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528039

So what do you guys think happened, or have Yacht Club commented on why they left? Obviously Shovel Knight will be its own beast, but with a similar bouncing mechanic there are some parallels there. If you've already played DT (which embarrassingly I haven't, I fucking love that moon song though) you might want a new take on that gameplay instead of a straight remaster. It's definitely peculiar of Yacht Club to go with similar mechanics. My speculation (even though I don't know any important details)? The YC guys were probably getting antsy doing only licensed remakes and wanted to do something original. SK is their way of saying "See, we can make NEW retro-style games and be successful!"

Maybe they'll adress it now that it's revealed.

I think there's an interview with the YCG guys in the #2 issue of Nintendo Force. I'll try and find something.

Edit: Ok, from the interview with Sean Velasco it looks like they left because 1) WayForward was getting too big and 2) because they want to work on original games. Not much else about their time at WF.

duckroll

Only reason I backed this project:

4qRqilG.jpg

zweifuss

Wow looks really good! A shame it's only at 50k. Reminds me of the Wizards & Warriors games with some Metal Slug mixed in there. Backed!

Top Bottom