• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok. 'Shovel justice.'
I'm in for $25.

I'd go for more if the higher tier rewards were up to snuff.

Teppic

Already backed.

Thought a game like this would be almost funded by now. A bit disappointing it's going so slow.

Doesn't this look more 16-bit? I don't really care about authenticity, it's just that the preview video didn't look like a "real" retro 8-bit game like other posters were describing.

RedSwirl

The look of this game almost makes me want to buy it on a Nintendo platform instead of PC... or at least play it using some kind of Nintendo-themed PC controller.

Doesn't this look more 16-bit? I don't really care about authenticity, it's just that the preview video didn't look like a "real" retro 8-bit game like other posters were describing.

They're sticking with some 8-bit limitations but not every limitation.

It's basically 8-bit style but way more advanced than you could actually do on an NES.

20k now. I hope it can get much more than 75k.

21k in ~2 days! I think that's pretty good for a rather low-key game like this.

Really excited about WayForward peeps without their CEO and graphics that don't allow them to have the worst fonts ever.

I hope they can generate some hype during PAX East.

RedSwirl

I'm sick of "retro" games beyond belief. Market is way over saturated already. So no pledge from me.

I'd be saying the same thing too but this actually looks like pretty unique game design, and I actually like the way the main character sprite is animated.

Basically, in this particular case the game looks like it's had some real work put behind it. Though, it'd be nice if they could afford to get the sprites as high res as those in, say, Mighty Switch Force HD.

Meelow

Banned
Officially confirmed for Wii U, 3DS, and Steam.

BFg1tZZCcAAg2oa.png:large

A lot of the time, games of this visual and dimensional style are so boring and generic and people still foam at the mouths over them just because they remind them of the old days but this one has the mechanics and seemingly level design to back up the nostalgic feel.

Looks quality, am quite interested in it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the time, games of this visual and dimensional style are so boring and generic and people still foam at the mouths over them just because they remind them of the old days but this one has the mechanics and seemingly level design to back up the nostalgic feel.

Looks quality, am quite interested in it.

Yeah this looks polished, not just compared to kickstarter projects either.

I don't think Nintendo gives away codes like that.

Didn't Cloudberry Kingdom promise download codes for the Wii U?

I'll donate when there's something that confirms I can get a Wii U version of this.

GulAtiCa

Do devs get an unlimited amount of codes for free, though? That's the question that needs to be answered.

Why would they be getting the codes for free? I would imagine the eShop team has some sort of program to allow a publisher to directly buy their game and get a code for it and give it to someone who already technically bought it via Kickstater.

Wouldn't that make sense? I'm just guessing here, that would make the most sense to me.

serplux

I don't think Nintendo gives away codes like that.

They do. All the developers need to do is to pay Nintendo their share of the money they get from each individual download code that is given out, and they can hand out as many codes as they please.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why would they be getting the codes for free? I would imagine the eShop team has some sort of program to allow a publisher to directly buy their game and get a code for it and give it to someone who already technically bought it via Kickstater.

Wouldn't that make sense? I'm just guessing here, that would make the most sense to me.

I ask because it seems like a lot of these Kickstarter projects are adding Wii U/3DS as a stretch goal without factoring in the cost of having to buy all these codes.

GulAtiCa

I ask because it seems like a lot of these Kickstarter projects are adding Wii U/3DS as a stretch goal without factoring in the cost of having to buy all these codes.

hmm, wouldn't it be the same for all other platforms? Does Steam/iOS give an unlimited amount of download codes to publishers? I never really thought about it, but I would assume it would be like that as well, where they buy the code.

@MUWANdo

Banned
hmm, wouldn't it be the same for all other platforms? Does Steam/iOS give an unlimited amount of download codes to publishers? I never really thought about it, but I would assume it would be like that as well, where they buy the code.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, I'm just worried that most of these Kickstarter dudes are promising free Wii U/3DS downloads to backers without really budgeting for them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Too bad they don't offer 3DS/Wii U digital versions for backing as I would then. Have no interest to play a game like this on PC.

jgkspsx

You have to pay $300 to get a softcover art book? $60 to get the soundtrack? Huh. I would have set up the tiers differently. I'd be in for a game + soundtrack bundle for $15 or even $20. Even then, I'd be buying it on 3DS too for at least $10. That's getting pretty expensive.

I guess I'll just buy it when it comes out and buy the soundtrack album on Bandcamp for [name your price].

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's a physical soundtrack CD. Right? Hopefully it's not just a CDR? Still a lot to ask.

Man I hope that manual comes in digital form when the game finally comes out.

It does if you pay $5 extra.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Stupid me, I didn't see the post above!

In any case, this game looks really awesome and I'll likely grab it for the 3DS!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
As if we needed any more confirmation, a Kickstarter update fills us in on the 3DS and Wii U versions.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
His nemesis has a snow shovel. Amazing. Also I've been listening to the sample song over and over. Virt is good.

At the rate it's being funded it'll pass it's goal in no time. I'll just wait for the release. :)

Nabs

Wii U and 3DS game codes will be made available to everyone who pledges $15 or more. Upon release, you can choose (1) which version of the game you prefer: Windows PC, Wii U, or 3DS!

Duck tales, Zelda II and Mega man all in one. It well be amazing. I for one am sick of 3d gaming atm I'm glad retro games have seen a resurgence. My fondest memory's are me playing my nes,snes and my sega saturn.

Wii U and 3DS game codes will be made available to everyone who pledges $15 or more. Upon release, you can choose (1) which version of the game you prefer: Windows PC, Wii U, or 3DS!

Very good to hear. If the 3DS version runs well I will get it there and on Steam during a sale. This needs a D-Pad and I dread playing it on a 360 pad.

Edit: Kicktraq has this trending towards ~$160k, which it probably won't make but $100k should be in the realm of possibility. Some Nintendo fanpages need to drum up some publicity for shoveltry.

RM8

I'll never understand the "OMG too many platformers!" attitude. In my eyes there aren't enough of them across all systems. For instance, I'm glad this is making it to 3DS.

Top Bottom