• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

teiresias

But wait, there's more!

http://alchemillahospital.net/differences-in-hd-collection-pt-1/

Why the fuck did the change the miles on the signs?

To be fair, the original mileage doesn't really make much sense does it? I mean, if one takes into account Homecoming and whatnot. I mean, Brahms can't possibly be over 200 miles away can it (was Homecoming in Brahms? I can't remember)? I thought it and SH were supposed to be right next to each other, maybe even on the same lake? I may be remembering it wrong.

Regardless, that's a whole lot of prime American real estate to be engulfed in demonic fog and influence for such a long time and not have military intervention to clean that place up.

There's also an audio error in the prison of SH2. If you go into the women's bathroom and knock on the bathroom stall, James walks back to the main door and you're supposed to hear a woman scream along with a crash.

In HD? Nope, nothing.

That sound is randomized. It doesn't play in every playthrough.

Snaku

Banned
To be fair, the original mileage doesn't really make much sense does it? I mean, if one takes into account Homecoming and whatnot. I mean, Brahms can't possibly be over 200 miles away can it (was Homecoming in Brahms? I can't remember)? I thought it and SH were supposed to be right next to each other, maybe even on the same lake? I may be remembering it wrong.

I think it would be best to disregard anything post-SH4 as non-canon.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Regardless, that's a whole lot of prime American real estate to be engulfed in demonic fog and influence for such a long time and not have military intervention to clean that place up.

Homecoming took place in Shepherd's Glen which was.. on the other side of the lake, I think.

This is the prime example of why having the publisher owning the creative rights to an IP is a horrible decision.

I think it would be best to disregard anything post-SH4 as non-canon.

Outside of Sh1, 3 and Origin, every game is a standalone affair for me. Hints and connections are mere fan service, nothing more. I'm generally oposed to this need to have canonized timelines, as with games this allways means idiotic and nonsensical stretches just to get separate projects into an arbitrary line of events.

If they couldn't get the voice acting legalities cleared up for Silent Hill 3 HD then they won't be able to release it on PSN.
About that... Is it needed to get the "ok" from the original VAs? Why? Isn't it the nature of the business? Konami is just scared because they were threatened by Guy, no?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Outside of Sh1, 3 and Origin, every game is a standalone affair for me. Hints and connections are mere fan service, nothing more. I'm generally oposed to this need to have canonized timelines, as with games this allways means idiotic and nonsensical stretches just to get separate projects into an arbitrary line of events.

Origins should not be considered canon as the people who made it really didn't properly research the backstory of the original game either. It just contradicts established character personalities and motives (especially Alessa), while making lazy, literal interpretations of text files and diaries from the first game without understanding their actual meanings. No one should be looking to Origins for the series' backstory: the files in the first 3 games themselves tell you absolutely everything you need to know.

I wouldn't say SH2 was standalone from 1 and 3 either. It has a very close relationship to the first game in the ways it explores and expands on the backstory of the town, it's just presented from the perspective of someone who wasn't directly involved. The historical and geographical information in the first 3 games are tight as consistent, everything afterwards just introduced heavy contradictions and fallacies that are very obvious if you take the time to examine it.

jimi_dini

10 miles? Sure. But Old Silent Hill is 40 miles from the edge of Paleville? Wat? And Brahms being 265 miles away? Holy crap.

Now, a real issue you can have is: while they were busy fixing this sign, why on earth did they make Old Silent Hill closer than Paleville? Old Silent Hill is IN Paleville!

Haha

oh god, I don't know if I'm supposed to cry or to laugh.

About that... Is it needed to get the "ok" from the original VAs? Why? Isn't it the nature of the business? Konami is just scared because they were threatened by Guy, no?

The VAs for the Team Silent SH games were all cast in Japan. And in Japan, voice actors don't sign away their rights. They normally get paid for every single re-release of the game. So Konami would have had to pay them. Although I don't think that repaying them for the HD collection would have been more expensive than redoing all the voicework (and fucking it up). Maybe Konami thought that if all of them sued, they would have to pay for the previous re-releases as well and that would have been more expensive. Idk.

Konami was already scared because the agreements they had with the SH2 voice actors (and probably the SH1 and 3 VAs) were shaky. That's why they went and asked the SH2 voice actors to waive their rights in the first place (and I think none of them even initially declined except maybe Guy Cihi, they just asked for more details and were subsequently ignored by Konami).

kunonabi

While I understand why Tomm wanted to change the "despoiled" part and "I'll kill you, bitch!" (though I don't agree with the changes), I have no idea why he thought changing "lousy taste" to "terrible taste" and "Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!" to "Shut your mouth, you stinking bitch!" was necessary. Especially the latter seems so random.

I can't even give him the I'll kill you, bitch" line. It takes away from the chilling moment in the apt where she says it so calmly and in such a matter of fact tone to Douglas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqONeSGvnAY

Hearing it come out they way it did coming from the Big H's daughter is a huge freakin deal.

Hulett's meddling completely undercuts this scene. If you aren't going to look at the big picture and make sure everything fits then don't go around changing things because you're bored.

Lime

I can't even give him the I'll kill you, bitch" line. It takes away from the chilling moment in the apt where she says it so calmly and in such a matter of fact tone to Douglas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqONeSGvnAY

Hearing it come out they way it did coming from the Big H's daughter is a huge freakin deal.

Hulett's meddling completely undercuts this scene. If you aren't going to look at the big picture and make sure everything fits then don't go around changing things because you're bored.

Heather's original voice acting was really impressive, imo. At least considering the context. I thought Morris portrayed the whole revengeful, but incredibly hurt late-teenager pretty well. Her cry at Harry's scene and her affection in her voice in the intro really sold me on their relationship and the entire motivation for the second half of the game.

I just looked the HD collection's scene up from the whole apartement scene and her new voice sounds like an actor being told what specific emotion to convey in each line. Much of the impression made by the original character now falls flat.

In that way, I'm glad that this collection in 3's case has been so horrible, because the re-done voice work and scripy changes will hopefully be abolished and forgotten, thanks to the game's technical deficiencies. Imagine if this version had been the only accessible and remembered one.

Another thing they fucked up in SH3 is in the Mall when Heather sees the monster ripping up a dude. In the original game, when Heather shoots the gun for the first time, she has this kind of primal yell as if to say "Holy SHIT I JUST SHOT A GUN".

They didn't do this at all with Heather's new VO in HD SH3. Very poor. Heather's new voice work sucks ass anyways.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, Gamestop's trade-in value for HD is $15.

Hulett was all for the new voices and he changed the script himself. He is just as responsible for this mess as the rest of them. Hell, he might even be responsible for the music changes for all we know. Hulett has never really shown this appreciation and reverence for the series that people keep attributing to him.

Read his blog. The dude really loves Silent Hill.

kunonabi

Read his blog. The dude really loves Silent Hill.

I did. He just patted himself on the back for his awful design choices in regards to the new voicework for the "HD" collection. He hasn't shown any respect for the original SH either when it comes to his actual work on the series. Maybe his older blog entries paint a better picture but I've seen enough of his shit to not be interested in anything he says at this point.

Already having played parts of Silent Hill 2 before hand on PS2 and PC, I thought I'd give my opinions on SH HD Collection so far (I just got the wooden plank and the Radio):

1. James' new voice work is pretty good, but when he stops running and breathes he sounds like he's sawing wood.

2. I came in expecting no fog, I was pretty surprised at the amount of fog in game. I've had framerate drops though so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually related to the fog on the PS3 version.

3. The roads so look stupid, but they're not terrible. Me and my bro were laughing claiming that James went and tarmacked all the roads before starting the game.

4. It's actually pretty enjoyable, sure there's issues here and there but it doesn't kill the experience. I would've still preferred the game to be ported by Bluepoint Games though with the new voice work optional on both games.

I guess this is the place to ask, but is someone planning a Community thread for Silent Hill in general? We could definitely use one to contain posts like the PC graphics, theories, soundtrack discussions, series chatter, etc.

Someone on that? I'd offer to do so, but BrandonHawk kills it with the thread skills. I'd love a place to talk about the one series of games I'd label art. (SH2 being the top contender.)

Cudder

Already having played parts of Silent Hill 2 before hand on PS2 and PC, I thought I'd give my opinions on SH HD Collection so far (I just got the wooden plank and the Radio):

1. James' new voice work is pretty good, but when he stops running and breathes he sounds like he's sawing wood.

2. I came in expecting no fog, I was pretty surprised at the amount of fog in game. I've had framerate drops though so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually related to the fog on the PS3 version.

3. The roads so look stupid, but they're not terrible. Me and my bro were laughing claiming that James went and tarmacked all the roads before starting the game.

4. It's actually pretty enjoyable, sure there's issues here and there but it doesn't kill the experience. I would've still preferred the game to be ported by Bluepoint Games though with the new voice work optional on both games.

thread should have ended after this post.

I guess this is the place to ask, but is someone planning a Community thread for Silent Hill in general? We could definitely use one to contain posts like the PC graphics, theories, soundtrack discussions, series chatter, etc.

Someone on that? I'd offer to do so, but BrandonHawk kills it with the thread skills. I'd love a place to talk about the one series of games I'd label art. (SH2 being the top contender.)

I had a rough draft for one that I wrote a year or so ago, along with some custom (read: MSPaint) images I did up. I'll do some digging and see if I can find something. Don't expect anything for at least a few weeks though.

Erigu

Wow if they mess up the ZoE HD collection like this, that's it for Konami. I'll never get another game from them.
Considering Konami has already commented on current consoles not handling transparency effects as well as the PlayStation 2, I'm kinda worried...

kunonabi

Fucking with the music is inexcusable.

It's now been 10 years since I last played Silent Hill 2, one of my top 10 fav games ever... so it's time I had another go... what's the verdict? HD collection on 360 or PC version at max?

Cudder

Wandering the streets after the Hospital and I sometimes get this weird effect where James is running in slo-mo, but it seems like everything else is running pretty smoothly around him?

also, can we please just get a fucking patch for that weird sound you get after you fire a gun. jesus christ.

impact

Banned

360 version?

There's no way you're talking about the PS3 version.

360 version?

There's no way you're talking about the PS3 version.

I'm playing the Canadian PS3 version right now with the patch, it arrived today because I used the most useless shipping ever.

I've had one crash and guess what?
The PH rape scene
was intact. I was pretty surprised too.

KorrZ

Okay so...that "Black vortex" water texture GIF that's been going around...didn't see that at ALL in my game...the water was just grey. I kept my save right before the boat scene so I'll try and get some video of it up later, but yeah.

impact

Banned
I'm playing the Canadian PS3 version right now with the patch, it arrived today because I used the most useless shipping ever.

The PH rape scene

Canadian version isn't fucked up?

NIGHT-

It's now been 10 years since I last played Silent Hill 2, one of my top 10 fav games ever... so it's time I had another go... what's the verdict? HD collection on 360 or PC version at max?

PC. But if you have a ps2 and a crt, the ps2 greatest hits version is the best choice

UrbanRats

The PH rape scene

It is intact, but there's a bug that makes the game slowdown and skip the first few seconds of it.
It's a bug, so it's not in 100% of the playthroughs.

It is intact, but there's a bug that makes the game slowdown and skip the first few seconds of it.
It's a bug, so it's not in 100% of the playthroughs.

Ah, I thought it effected every player so I was pretty surprised when it's completely fine. Well that solves that mystery.

There's also an audio error in the prison of SH2. If you go into the women's bathroom and knock on the bathroom stall, James walks back to the main door and you're supposed to hear a woman scream along with a crash.

In HD? Nope, nothing.

What's even worse about the changed script in SH3 is that the subtitles weren't changed and still have the old text. Purely amateur hour bullshit.

Did you turn off your flashlight? I remember that not working on the PS2 version once, and it had to do with my flashlight. This was several years ago, so I could be remembering wrong.

Cudder

Did you turn off your flashlight? I remember that not working on the PS2 version once, and it had to do with my flashlight. This was several years ago, so I could be remembering wrong.

The scream and crash sound is definitely still in the game. I just passed that part.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Since, it's almost impossible to get SH 2 and 3 on PC these days. I thought it couldn't hurt to put them on gog.com's wishlist. To my surprise, both games had already around 400 votes each.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to add more votes to both games. It hasn't worked really well for System Shock 2, but hell, a man can dream of all PC Silent Hill games being released on gog's drm-free service. =::::)

Contribute to the cause: http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/

Top Bottom