• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Facism

I dunno, there's something so raw and primal about SH1's visuals thanks to the limited PSone hardware. It really looks like Hell.

silent 3 had this whole birthing motif with it's hell. As the game progressed the world got more pregnant with grossness and violence, so to speak.

I keep coming to the thread in hopes of new news. I want it to say " We are fixing all the issues with the game." Then I can finally buy it.

Am cry...

i think tweaking guides for SH2 and SH3 pc versions should be added to OP. and no, the widescreengaming post isn't valid anymore as some links don't work, and it's not very complete.

new links needed for FOV tool and what not.

Lime

i think tweaking guides for SH2 and SH3 pc versions should be added to OP. and no, the widescreengaming post isn't valid anymore as some links don't work, and it's not very complete.

new links needed for FOV tool and what not.

Did my posts and the original mediafire links work? You can use both of those if you want to.

Re-recording dialogue ain't no big deal. Just put a microphone to their face, and pow.

I like you.

Speaking of Silent Hill 2, I just finished the HD port. The water wasn't as bad as I expected, but it still looks ridiculous. It looked fine at first and the closer I got to the hotel, the worse the water seemed to become. Also as usual I noticed several audio-synch issues (surprise, surprise!) and stuttering, but that's about it. Well, except for the music changes and alterations. For example, why did they add a chime sound during the first cutscene with Eddie in the meat storage room? It seemed to lessen the tension of that scene. Also, why why why did they remove the music in the ending following Mary's letter? Is it an audio glitch, or did they just remove it for some inexplicable reason?

Its fun once you get all the different gameplay mechanics down.

EDIT: Are there any other Paper Silent Hill series entries, because that was great. And damn, Sterling ripped into them...pretty justified though.

No, I think there's only the one.

Suairyu

Banned
Is there any reason why people don't tend to recommend the PC port of Silent Hill 2: DC? I often see recommendations go "get SH2:DC for PS2 then SH3 for PC".

Mr_Zombie

Is there any reason why people don't tend to recommend the PC port of Silent Hill 2: DC? I often see recommendations go "get SH2:DC for PS2 then SH3 for PC".

The fog is worse than in PS2 version.
Some music is apparently cut off.
FMV are in worse quality.
Shadows are really sharp.
You have to twiddle a bit to make the game run on modern computers.
No mouse control (even when you have to use a cursor in some puzzles, you have to move them via keyboard).

Lime

Sound errors are non-existent post-patch in the SH2 pc version, as well as limiting the use of number of CPU cores to one.

Because it lacks certain effects and some textures (from what I've heard) and it just doesn't run very well.

Wrong. It does not lack any textures.

The fog is worse than in PS2 version. = I wouldn't say worse, just not as complex
Some music is apparently cut off. = wrong
FMV are in worse quality = 30 fps rather than 60fps
Shadows are really sharp.
You have to twiddle a bit to make the game run on modern computers.
No mouse control (even when you have to use a cursor in some puzzles, you have to move them via keyboard). = use a controller

Fixed for accuracy and clarification.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fixed for accuracy and clarification.
I would say the fog is worse. Reducing its complexity does impact its visual appearance quite a bit.

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...dlhJ4#t=113s&start2=113&authorName=meahwahwah

The PS2 version gives the impression of a thick swirling fog while the other versions basically look like bits of floating smoke particles. It has a very different appearance especially in person.

Also, while it's true that the videos run at a lower framerate, they also have additional compression artifacts that were not present on PS2. They were very poorly encoded, which was pretty common back on the XBOX anyways so it's not surprising that the PC version shared this problem.

I'm going to start with SH1 since it actually exists and SM is no way a worthy substitute.
I'm glad you feel that way, since SM isn't trying to substitute anything. The crux of the game depends on the player having played the first one, after all, so it makes sense to view it more as complimentary than a substitution.

Did my posts and the original mediafire links work? You can use both of those if you want to.

all i saw was a link to an old neogaf post with the widescreengaming link in it, which is old and has dead links. i tried searching for the SH2 resolution patch but can't find it AT ALL, nor can i find the FOV tool for SH3 AT ALL. If you have those files, reupping would be greatly appreciated. any/all files needed for the tweak guides too, even.

just tried SH3 with my F510 and worked great. changed the ini file for 2048x2048 textures and 1080p res. looks fantastic, although vsync is badly needed.

willing to bet i come up with awesome pc version solutions before konami even addresses the problems with this collection.

kunonabi

I'm glad you feel that way, since SM isn't trying to substitute anything. The crux of the game depends on the player having played the first one, after all, so it makes sense to view it more as complimentary than a substitution.

I hear a lot of SH fans recommend it over the original. I also consider to be just as bad of dumping as Origins. The new western devs haven't shown any respect towards the first SH since they took over.

all i saw was a link to an old neogaf post with the widescreengaming link in it, which is old and has dead links. i tried searching for the SH2 resolution patch but can't find it AT ALL, nor can i find the FOV tool for SH3 AT ALL. If you have those files, reupping would be greatly appreciated. any/all files needed for the tweak guides too, even.

just tried SH3 with my F510 and worked great. changed the ini file for 2048x2048 textures and 1080p res. looks fantastic, although vsync is badly needed.

willing to bet i come up with awesome pc version solutions before konami even addresses the problems with this collection.
If you wait 6 hours, I'll be home and can re-upload the tools unless someone here does so again.

I hear you on the Vsync for SH3, I had a decent amount of tearing as well. But besides that, it's fucking gorgeous. 360 controller, uber HD textures and resolution.... It's like I'm almost dreaming.

If only SH2 could be so maleable.

Lime

I'm talking about these:

Silent Hill 3 PC with new link to FOV tool

Silent Hill 2 PC

Remember to fix the 4:3 aspect ratio in SH3 with the FOV tool. I hate when playing a 4:3 game in 16:9 resolutions.

And you can force vsync with your D3D overrider, or AMD CCCC/Nvidia Control Panel/

YOU BEAUTIFUL WIZARD.

the dropbox link in SH3 post gives me malware warning, but i assume it is just suspicious of the exe.

the SH2 stuff seems complicated but i will give it a shot. (i hope it doesn't have any problems with my no-cd executable....)

Lime

I would say the fog is worse. Reducing its complexity does impact its visual appearance quite a bit.

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...dlhJ4#t=113s&start2=113&authorName=meahwahwah

The PS2 version gives the impression of a thick swirling fog while the other versions basically look like bits of floating smoke particles. It has a very different appearance especially in person.

Also, while it's true that the videos run at a lower framerate, they also have additional compression artifacts that were not present on PS2. They were very poorly encoded, which was pretty common back on the XBOX anyways so it's not surprising that the PC version shared this problem.

Man, we already talked about this :) I even provided you with animated gifs, so you could back up your argument even better. And I agree, no doubt.

dark10x, I just wanted to add to something to your post. Here are the differences in the smoke effect on PC (set to Complex) vs. the fog in the PS2 version:

PC fog
sh2_pc_fogj6kj6.gif

PS2 fog (through an emulator)
sh2_ps2_fognfjrn.gif

I just think the simplicity of the lower quality fog is not as prioritized in my playthrough, as high resolution, AA, AF, lack of bugs, screen shot functionality, etc. In that way I can live with the fog simplicity on PC compared to playing a PS2 game @ 480p, lots of aliasing, and no screenshot functionality.

YOU BEAUTIFUL WIZARD.

the dropbox link in SH3 post gives me malware warning, but i assume it is just suspicious of the exe.

the SH2 stuff seems complicated but i will give it a shot. (i hope it doesn't have any problems with my no-cd executable....)

Yeah, the FOV tool is a false positive. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't have a problem with it and I've used the tool a lot, so you should be good to go.

So whats the better version of Silent Hill 2?

The PS2 or Xbox version?

PS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just think the simplicity of the lower quality fog is not as prioritized in my playthrough, as high resolution, AA, AF, lack of bugs, screen shot functionality, etc. In that way I can live with the fog simplicity on PC compared to playing a PS2 game @ 480p, lots of aliasing, and no screenshot functionality.
I simply cannot get AA or AF to function at all. :\ I've tried all of the various tricks mentioned elsewhere but it does not work.

Honestly, I'd rather stick with the lower resolution PS2 version as I can easily enjoy it on a good CRT. Pulling the same thing off with my PC now is much more difficult.

I missed those GIFs, though. They are absolutely awesome! Nice job!

I simply cannot get AA or AF to function at all. :\ I've tried all of the various tricks mentioned elsewhere but it does not work.

Honestly, I'd rather stick with the lower resolution PS2 version as I can easily enjoy it on a good CRT. Pulling the same thing off with my PC now is much more difficult.

can't you max out the internal resolution to get it to super sample? really performance hungry mind.

Lime

YOU BEAUTIFUL WIZARD.

If you're on a Nvidia card, Angular graphics posted this some months ago. But it seems a little tiresome :

angular graphics said:
Hey I got AA working!!! ;)

First of, now there's an ENB dx8 to dx9 convertor: http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

It doesn't do much right now, but it allows you to inject effects from dx9 injectors, eg from other ENB mods, or FXAA. Boris plans to make effects specialized for it, so it's best to wait for that.

So, I started looking around at the code of the executable that gets loaded in RAM once you run it, and found a bunch of strings that can be used to force options (think of them like command line options).

One of them is called "DX_CONFIG_DRIVER_AA_NOT_BROKEN" which makes the game think the driver's AA is not "broken" so you may have it enabled with no problems.

These strings/hacks can be put in the device.fix file (just open it with notepad).

Now you need to find your graphics card's id code, I got mine from here: http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=nvidia&device_search=Search

(Just search for your own card).

So since my graphics card is a GTX 460 with an id code of "0x0E22" I needed to put these lines in the device.fix:

DEVICE Geforce_460 0E22
HACK DX_CONFIG_DRIVER_AA_NOT_BROKEN 1

like this:

http://i.imgur.com/cxEVa.jpg

Why don't you give it a try and see if it works for you as well? :)

PS It's very bad of them that they don't tell you this hack/string exists!!

addyb

I've been following this thread closely and listened to all the negatives and a few positives from people and I'm still genuinely interested in picking this up.

I've never ever played SH2 or SH3 so with that in mind will all the technical issues and changes actually effect my enjoyment of these, again considering I can't compare them to the originals that I've never played.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've been following this thread closely and listened to all the negatives and a few positives from people and I'm still genuinely interested in picking this up.

I've never ever played SH2 or SH3 so with that in mind will all the technical issues and changes actually effect my enjoyment of these, again considering I can't compare them to the originals that I've never played.

If you've never played the originals and thus have nothing to compare the HD collection to.. I guess it's OK. Still, I'd recommend you to get the PS2 or PC versions over the HD collection, if you can.

Ahasverus

Yeah you should

kunonabi

The musical changes, shitty performances and script changes make for a lesser SH3 regardless of whether or not you played the original. SH2 at least has the original voices and didn't get butchered aside from the tech issues as far as I know.

I would skip it.

Ahasverus

The musical changes, shitty performances and script changes make for a lesser SH3 regardless of whether or not you played the original. SH2 at least has the original voices and didn't get butchered aside from the tech issues as far as I know.

I would skip it.
I disagree, there are no game breaking issues and glaring flaws (besides audio synch.. on PS3) that cuold bother newcomers at all, who are not interested in how faithful theya re to originals.

And also, don't believe GAF that much, the collection is NOT outrageous, there is fog in SH2, and graphics in Sh3 are just fine, sometimes this forum goes hyperbole mode.
(I mean, script changes make SH3 inferior?? THEY CHANGED TWO WORDS FOR GOD'S SAKE)

If I loved SH2, 3 & Shattered Memories, is Downpour worth buying tomorrow? I'm not interested in hearing why people might hate one of those that I like (;)) I'm just genuinely curious as to whether Downpour might scratch the itch left by my refusal to remove the shitty collection from its shrink-wrap.

I though Homecoming was a bit shit, for what it's worth.

Lime

I disagree, there are no game breaking issues and glaring flaws (besides audio synch.. on PS3) that cuold bother newcomers at all, who are not interested in how faithful theya re to originals.

And also, don't believe GAF that much, the collection is NOT outrageous, there is fog in SH2, and graphics in Sh3 are just fine, sometimes this forum goes hyperbole mode.

The script and voice changes to SH3 make the original version much more preferable than the HD collection. And that is disregarding all of the many, many technical flaws.

Ahasverus

If I loved SH2, 3 & Shattered Memories, is Downpour worth buying tomorrow? I'm not interested in hearing why people might hate one of those that I like (;)) I'm just genuinely curious as to whether Downpour might scratch the itch left by my refusal to remove the shitty collection from its shrink-wrap.

OOoh yeah, SH2 and SM are the biggest influences on Downpour, you can't go wrong with it then.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I haven't had the chance to play Downpour yet myself, but impressions generally seem to range from decent to good.

And Homecoming wasn't just a bit shit, it was a year's worth of elephant turds.

2 and Shattered Memories are my favourite entries in the series, and I had a terrific time with Downpour, bar its technical faults. Like Ahasverus said, it bears resemblance most to both those games, so I heartily recommend you pick it up.

2 and Shattered Memories are my favourite entries in the series, and I had a terrific time with Downpour, bar its technical faults. Like Ahasverus said, it bears resemblance most to both those games, so I heartily recommend you pick it up.

Cool, I shall take my son to school and head straight to the shop afterwards tomorrow morning. :) hearing an endorsement from one who has the Sam favourites as me has pushed me over the edge and earned the game a sale.

Just a shame about this HD turd, and whether to keep it or flush. If I had any hope of a patch that a least spruced up SOME of the major visual discrepancies (fog in SH2, shadowing & depth of field in 3) and fixed the missing / incorrect ending music I'd be pragmatic and give it a shot, but as it stands, th temptation is to sell sealed.

addyb

Well I've just got downpour today so will probably pick this up after that's finished. Ill no doubt get it for under £20 then and if I do end up disliking it I'll just sell it on.

I've a feeling though all these technical issues won't bother me as much as other people.

kunonabi

(I mean, script changes make SH3 inferior?? THEY CHANGED TWO WORDS FOR GOD'S SAKE)

There are more than that. One of those changes severly undercuts the following scene. The bigger problem is Heather's new VA. When the most important part of the game is shot to hell you have a problem, especially since SH3 has never had the universal acceptance SH2 had and especially since he won't have the proper context going into it any since the collection is incomplete. The audio design is also completely ruined since they redid and shuffled musical tracks. Core elements of the game are inferior and make for a lesser game.

edit: just saw the redone videotape scene from the collection. Just terrible. I don't know why they thought the cheap tv border and slow zoom would be a good idea.

Just started watching a playthrough of this. Oh my god is the fog bad. Of course new players will "not know", but they will never get the proper experience.

Persona7

Banned

My main problem with this game even after the patch is the immense slow down. Silent Hill 3 literally runs like molasses most of the time. Silent Hill 2 is a bit better but it still suffers.

Mr_Zombie

They've changed more ;) Just in the scene before the final battle there are at least two changes that weren't mentioned before.

And while "graphics in SH3 are just fine", it's still far inferior to the PC and even goddamn PS2 version. If a port of a 10-year-old game, running on a far superior machines, can't at least faithfully replicate graphics of the original game, know that there's something seriously wrong with the port. Lack of self-shadowing, lack of DOF, lack of blur (in the scene when Heather meets Claudia for the first time, when Claudia walks away you see her through Heather's eyes; the whole scene should be blurred because at the moment Heather is in serious pain; there's no blur in the HD Collection), lack of color grading, much worse fog, sharp and pixelated shadows. The game still manages to look good, but the port ruins it anyway. SH3 running on a capable PC even today looks amazing and low-res textures aside, it could easily be compared to current-gen games. SH3 from HD Collection could not.

Top Bottom