• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Everdred

I've finally finished both games and the only issue I had was slowdown when I beat a boss. I'd kill the boss and the game would slow down to about 3 frames a second while the achievement was prompting. Was pretty annoying but wasn't too much of a bother.

Silent Hill 2 still holds up really well. Great atmosphere and story. I actually thought Silent Hill 3 was a tad scarier and the enemy designs freaked me out a little more. A little too much god stuff in the story though.

So, yeah, if someone has access to Tomm Hulett's twitter or email address, they should him this two-parter. Just embarrassing.

I know he doesn't want to talk about it in fear of losing his job, but I'd be fuckin' ashamed if I would be in his position. I would fuckin' quit Konami since my word, credentials and trust-worthiness would be garbage with fan community after pulling that shit.

Doing press junkets all over the place telling everyone that this was the next best way to play Silent Hill 2 and 3. So like most of the doofus who had faith in this guy who painted himself as a big fan who's fighting to get the SH name back into the spotlight after the previous lackluster entries in the series, I bought it on day 1 since I'm a huge fan to. Boy, were we stupid, right?

I played for two days, started with SH2, up at the Historical Society building, saved there and never played again since the release in March. Just angry at how Konami treated these classics they had by ruining the work of all involved in the originals. And angry at myself for believing it would, AT LEAST, be exactly like they played and looked on PS2.

kunonabi

So, yeah, if someone has access to Tomm Hulett's twitter or email address, they should him this two-parter. Just embarrassing.

I know he doesn't want to talk about it in fear of losing his job, but I'd be fuckin' ashamed if I would be in his position. I would fuckin' quit Konami since my word, credentials and trust-worthiness would be garbage with fan community after pulling that shit.

Doing press junkets all over the place telling everyone that this was the next best way to play Silent Hill 2 and 3. So like most of the doofus who had faith in this guy who painted himself as a big fan who's fighting to get the SH name back into the spotlight after the previous lackluster entries in the series, I bought it on day 1 since I'm a huge fan to. Boy, were we stupid, right?

I played for two days, started with SH2, up at the Historical Society building, saved there and never played again since the release in March. Just angry at how Konami treated these classics they had by ruining the work of all involved in the originals. And angry at myself for believing it would, AT LEAST, be exactly like they played and looked on PS2.

Hulett probably isn't all that bothered by it. The technical issues weren't really his fault and he was probably all for the artistic changes anyway. Considering how poor the new voice direction and casting was I don't think he really cares enough to be upset over the end result. It isn't like the rest of the SH stuff he's been associated with has been all that great either. Konami pays him so he'll do his job and won't give it a second thought.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh wow, I found an exploitable bug in SH3. Apparently, if you enter and exit the unnamed "M" room in the hospital, the one that leads you to the maze and eventually the otherworld, all the nurses you've killed in the normal hospital will revive, you can keep doing it over and over again (enter and exit the unnamed M room after you kill all the nurses). You can kill 10 nurses in the hospital on easy mode.

I've finally finished both games and the only issue I had was slowdown when I beat a boss. I'd kill the boss and the game would slow down to about 3 frames a second while the achievement was prompting. Was pretty annoying but wasn't too much of a bother.

Silent Hill 2 still holds up really well. Great atmosphere and story. I actually thought Silent Hill 3 was a tad scarier and the enemy designs freaked me out a little more. A little too much god stuff in the story though.

Can you or someone else explain that a little more..barely played 2 and have never played 3 so sorry for asking :p. really looking forward to finishing 2 and starting 3 when I buy this soon.

Cudder

Can you or someone else explain that a little more..barely played 2 and have never played 3 so sorry for asking :p. really looking forward to finishing 2 and starting 3 when I buy this soon.

3 is a direct sequel to the original, which deals with gods, cults, religion, that sort of thing. You don't get any of that in SH2.

I don't understand post-purchase remorse, I rarely buy on impulse and almost always play demo or look for genuine feedback (not reviews).

MoxManiac

Never played these, but instead I opted to track down the PS2 versions. Found nice condition copy of SH3 with soundtrack, now I just need to find SH2. Fuck this piece of shit "HD" collection.

Vortex566

Is it agreed that Silent Hill 2 is better then 3? I've just finished 3 for the first time and it was nowhere near as good as Silent Hill 2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After watching the videos on DF I've notice the 360 version has even less fog?

Is it agreed that Silent Hill 2 is better then 3? I've just finished 3 for the first time and it was nowhere near as good as Silent Hill 2.

Yes, that is the common consensus among fans. I still think 3 is better than 2 in most aspects sans storytelling. I just adore the monster designs/variety and incredibly awesome Otherworlds in 3.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MyEpitomeCliché;37060461 said:
Yes, that is the common consensus among fans. I still think 3 is better than 2 in most aspects sans storytelling. I just adore the monster designs/variety and incredibly awesome Otherworlds in 3.

Yeah, this. 2 has the best story and better pacing, while 3 is generally scarier, and has better monster design/Otherworld design. 2 is still the overall best game in the series though.

Yeah, this. 2 has the best story and better pacing, while 3 is generally scarier, and has better monster design/Otherworld design. 2 is still the overall best game in the series though.

In addition to those accolades, SH3 has some of the most disturbing and unsettling ambient effects I've ever heard in a game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_C-TGSC8A

The one at 1:41 is probably my favorite in the entire game and perhaps series. So incredibly creepy. This is my biggest contention with modern SH titles. They just don't do this kind of stuff, and when they do, it's never as good. SH3 is the shining archetype of Yamaoka's sound design prowess, as far as I'm concerned.

I've looked everywhere trying to rent this damn game. No luck. Even my local "Family Video" which carries tons of games, half of which I've never even heard of, doesnt have it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MyEpitomeCliché;37061868 said:
In addition to those accolades, SH3 has some of the most disturbing and unsettling ambient effects I've ever heard in a game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_C-TGSC8A

The one at 1:41 is probably my favorite in the entire game and perhaps series. So incredibly creepy. This is my biggest contention with modern SH titles. They just don't do this kind of stuff, and when they do, it's never as good. SH3 is the shining archetype of Yamaoka's sound design prowess, as far as I'm concerned.

God. Those videos are like sex for the ears. The binaural audio is absolutely stunning.

http://youtu.be/Bb7ypmx-Zz4
http://youtu.be/8AWjiAX5dRI

People need to play these games (and watch these videos) with headphones. If you don't you're losing almost all of the effect from the binaural recording. It's shockingly and distressingly convincing.

I will never forget the first time I played SH3 with headphones and entering the storeroom with the second save point in the game, heaving that stomping sound made me jump out of my chair because I was convinced it was actually coming from somewhere in my house.

Danny-Boy

How the hell are Konami staying silent on this and getting away with it? Are they banking on saying nothing and getting away with it? Thousands of people are buying this piece of shit and returning it. It's gotta be doing some damage.

Persona7

Banned
Oh yeah, those Binaural footsteps are super awesome. I jumped out of my chair when I had headphones on the PC version awhile back during the part where you pass by the bathroom right outside the room with the mattress and silencer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are crazy. The new voices are SO much better.

Persona7

Banned
You guys are crazy. The new voices are SO much better.

I would say they are slightly better in Silent Hill 2.

New Heather doesn't match the character though. I am not saying that new Heather is a bad voice actress, she just doesn't match.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the platinum for Silent Hill 3, yay me.

Persona7

Banned
Got the platinum for Silent Hill 3, yay me.

You will carry that mark of shame, forever.

muXiC.gif

The sound design in Silent Hill 3 really is incredible.

It was all the ambient effects that did it for me. Running through the mall and hearing the background chatter, like there were other people around, but just always out of reach. Then some of the effects later on the final area are great too.

ULTROS!

Wow ten dollars? Not much of a sale if you ask me.

I got the platinum trophies for both Silent Hill 2 and 3. I had to get something out of that $40 I spent.

I don't I'm ever going to attempt SH2's platinum. How were you able to manage it?

kingkaiser

Right now i am enjoying the hell out of playing SH2 for the first time, PS2 version of course. So, last night i was going through the hospital and James is just...just incredible. Not only does he like to insert his hands in any nasty hole at first sight, but being outsmarted by a seven years old, wow...just wow

Cramoss

God. Those videos are like sex for the ears. The binaural audio is absolutely stunning.

http://youtu.be/Bb7ypmx-Zz4
http://youtu.be/8AWjiAX5dRI

People need to play these games (and watch these videos) with headphones. If you don't you're losing almost all of the effect from the binaural recording. It's shockingly and distressingly convincing.

I will never forget the first time I played SH3 with headphones and entering the storeroom with the second save point in the game, heaving that stomping sound made me jump out of my chair because I was convinced it was actually coming from somewhere in my house.

That's like the main reason why I love SH2 and SH3 so much. The sound design is so good.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lAgkp2q2UQ

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
If I had to choose between the Silent Hill HD collection for the 360, and Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 for the PS2, which should I go with?

Top Bottom