• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, so I've gone from luke-warm to extremely impressed following the prison and catacombs. This must have been so ahead of of its time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, so I've gone from luke-warm to extremely impressed following the prison and catacombs. This must have been so ahead of of its time.
Yes it was.

Don't forget that Silent Hill 2 and ICO both shipped on the same day. I remember playing ICO all afternoon before jumping into Silent Hill 2 at night. What an amazing September day that was!

Yes it was.

Don't forget that Silent Hill 2 and ICO both shipped on the same day. I remember playing ICO all afternoon before jumping into Silent Hill 2 at night. What an amazing September day that was!

and then MGS2 like a month later. Damn that was a great year for games, especially for Konami.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it was.

If only I played non-Nintendo games back then. I didn't really start playing games beyond that until 2006ish.

Levito

Banned
Traded in my copy at EB, felt good man.

The DF comparison video is great. Shows how big of a mess they did with the fog.

"That shadow just now..." No it's not a shadow, it's a fucking monster because now it's as plain as day to see!

ibhFZJSoe2khrl.gif

wow

Noticed that right away.

I'm glad this is providing a positive experience for a new-to-SH2 person, at least.

Just wait until you finish the game and so much stuff that seemed like not-so-great game design or out-of-place suddenly makes sense. Not the rotating room puzzle in the labyrinth, though, that never makes sense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so I just finished the game.

I'm glad I stuck with it. There are so many bold design decisions throughout the whole game, none of which I can probably articulate as well as people have over the past decade. The problems I had with the game are real, but once I figured out what the game expected from me, I started enjoying myself much more. Noticing little things like James' head turning made a big difference.

It was so nice to play a game that was slow and deliberate. I wasn't ever super scared or anything, which I'll chalk up to the dated visuals, but even behind the old shell I could still appreciate some of the cool psychological tricks that were being played, on a theoretical level if nothing else.

I think I got the expected ending. I don't really know the differences. I think the one I got started with F or something, I'm having a mental blank. I'm not sure whether I'll try for a different ending or move onto SH3. The ending guide I just read made the different ending requirements sound kind of vague.

so I just finished the game.

I'm glad I stuck with it. There are so many bold design decisions throughout the whole game, none of which I can probably articulate as well as people have over the past decade. The problems I had with the game are real, but once I figured out what the game expected from me, I started enjoying myself much more. Noticing little things like James' head turning made a big difference.

It was so nice to play a game that was slow and deliberate. I wasn't ever super scared or anything, which I'll chalk up to the dated visuals, but even behind the old shell I could still appreciate some of the cool psychological tricks that were being played, on a theoretical level if nothing else.

I think I got the expected ending. I don't really know the differences. I think the one I got started with F or something, I'm having a mental blank. I'm not sure whether I'll try for a different ending or move onto SH3. The ending guide I just read made the different ending requirements sound kind of vague.

"Free to go"? In which case that is the "Leave" ending. Most people get that the first time through. I don't know anyone who achieved "Maria" or "In Water" on their first playthrough.

Mr_Zombie

The ending guide I just read made the different ending requirements sound kind of vague.

The requirements are quite logical.

If you want to get the In Water ending, do everything for the game to think that you don't care about your life - stay with low health as much as possible and check Angela's knife (that she wanted to use to kill herself) very often.

If you want the Maria ending, you just have to show that you care about her. Always wait for her (don't run away), protect her from monsters and visit her very often when she stays in the room in the hospital. IIRC you also have to rush through the corridor before the final battle (the one where you can hear a dialouge between Mary and James).

The requirements are quite logical.

If you want to get the In Water ending, do everything for the game to think that you don't care about your life - stay with low health as much as possible and check Angela's knife (that she wanted to use to kill herself) very often.

You also should read the diary on the rooftop, listen to the hallway conversation and headphones in the library. I've read that you're supposed to read the message in Neely's bar after the hospital, but I think I missed it once and still got the ending.

If you want the Maria ending, you just have to show that you care about her. Always wait for her (don't run away), protect her from monsters and visit her very often when she stays in the room in the hospital.

Also, try to reenter the room she's in during the underground sewer section just before the catacombs. You can't actually reenter the room because James will say something like "there's nothing for me to do" or something, but you're still supposed to try. Plus, you're not supposed to read the rooftop diary and you have to skip the hallway conversation and ignore the library headphones.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the ending system actually seems super cool. I don't know if I'll actually play through the whole game again right now, but yeah, neat.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
getting all the endings is totally something I'd obsess over anyway

getting all the endings is totally something I'd obsess over anyway

If you want the "UFO" ending, complete the "Born From A Wish" sub-scenario and pick-up the blue gem in the bathroom at the start of the game. You'll have to use it in several locations in the game: the hospital after the flesh lips boss, the docks just before getting on the boat, and finally in your hotel room by the window before you watch the video.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you want the "UFO" ending, complete the "Born From A Wish" sub-scenario and pick-up the blue gem in the bathroom at the start of the game. You'll have to use it in several locations in the game: the hospital after the flesh lips boss, the docks just before getting on the boat, and finally in your hotel room by the window before you watch the video.

is there actually a way to know this without looking it up?

also -- uh -- I forgot about the subscenario. What is it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a reason SH1 wasn't included in the collection?

Hey, even The Room would have been nice. It's the SH I've been most interested to play based on what I've heard about it.

Persona7

Banned

Hey, even The Room would have been nice. It's the SH I've been most interested to play based on what I've heard about it.

You mean a complete remake of the first Silent Hill? That would be a stand alone full price product if they ever decided to do that.

They should have included the PS1 Classics version of Silent Hill on the disk though, I don't see why they didn't do that.

Nemesis_

It's a bit weird. I mean SH1 would look terrible in HD. It's just too dated. Has a PSOne game been included in a collection up until this point? SH4's omission is a bit odd, I admit. I suppose Konami were like TWO AND THREE ARE THE FAVOURITES, LET'S PORT THESE. Though it makes no sense since SH3 is really a direct sequel to SH1. =/ I would've loved SH4 included.

Anyone got any tips for how to beat Memory of Alessa in under three minutes? =P

Game still scares me to this day.....everything about the atmosphere is perfect.

Still playing 2 though and the only problem is some pausing and then the ps3 makes a funny noise....scares me from time to time....

KorrZ

It could just be the port, but I have to say after finally playing SH3 I find it to be a complete downgrade from 2.

it really takes a special developer to go back after it has destroyed one of its more popular series with outsourced games after dissolving the team, and DESTROY THE ACTUAL GOOD GAMES THAT MADE THE SERIES POPULAR.

*sigh*

Oh well at least new older school games like XCom, Shadowrun Returns, and Fallout 2 x2 Wasteland 2 are coming...

It could just be the port, but I have to say after finally playing SH3 I find it to be a complete downgrade from 2.

3 was good, but 2 was the high water mark.

I just picked up the Xbox version of SH2 dirt cheap; I know it's a bit glitchy but it still comes closer than the HD Collection and I've never owned it, so it's win-win.

However, I understand there's a save bug? How many slots is it safe to fill?

Thanks!

AnEternalEnigma wanted me to post these videos he made:

This is some embarrassing shit. Also lol at not just changing the lines... with unspoiled/despoiled I kind of understand it... But not changing the subtitles? haha, Jebus, what a shit company. Sad to see such shitheads in charge of this series.

I just picked up the Xbox version of SH2 dirt cheap; I know it's a bit glitchy but it still comes closer than the HD Collection and I've never owned it, so it's win-win.

However, I understand there's a save bug? How many slots is it safe to fill?

Thanks!

Play it on the original Xbox. The 360 version is pretty busted. From what I hear, only the first save slot will work (I never use anything but the first save slot, so I cannot confirm this). More annoying however, there is a glitch where you flashlight shines in the wrong direction (behind your character). This completely ruins the atmosphere of the game, which in turn, completely ruins the game.

Yes it was.

Yes! I remember finishing both games the same night. Completed ICO at about 10 pm and played SH2 through the morning (with a couple breaks) and finished it at about 6 am. It was a pretty surreal experience finishing as the sun started to rise. I'll never forget that.

Nemesis_

Wow, I just unlocked the Unlimited Submachine Gun in SH3.

The fucking noises it makes - it sounds like Heather is carrying around a fucking mini-reaper from Mass Effect.

It's so painful ;_;

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
So, someone posted a link on my DA page letting me know that this piece of fanart I did (located here) has been borrowed, cropped and repurposed as the icon used for the "If looks could kill" achievement.

Thought that was sorta cool. :D

kunonabi

Fantastic vids, looking a SH now the question has to be asked, is it dead now?

The franchise has stooped to Sonic levels where it can't even present it's glory days properly.

Depends. Downpour didn't do so well commercially and critically but the fanbase really liked it. I thought it had some issues but I could see a sequel by Vatra being pretty good if they address them.

Hard to say what Konami wanted out of Downpour and the HD collection considering how lazy their approach to SH has been. I hope they just let the series die personally. Even if Vatra made a damn good follow-up it won't erase all these years of mediocrity and Konami will just find other ways to crap it up.

Depends. Downpour didn't do so well commercially and critically but the fanbase really liked it. I thought it had some issues but I could see a sequel by Vatra being pretty good if they address them.

Hard to say what Konami wanted out of Downpour and the HD collection considering how lazy their approach to SH has been. I hope they just let the series die personally. Even if Vatra made a damn good follow-up it won't erase all these years of mediocrity and Konami will just find other ways to crap it up.

Had no idea, I haven't looked into it but I only hear so-so things.

It looks like the Amnesia games will be the only (non-combat heavy) horror games for a while.

I thought that you could download this collection from XBLA or Sony's downloadable thing, but I can't find it for download on either one. Did they take this off the downloadable services for some reason?

Top Bottom