• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Since I don't have a ps2 or a PC to play these I went out in search for a copy.....no luck whatsoever .....tried many different stores.....I could find it for 360 but not ps3.

The guy at best buy said they pulled the ps3 copies....so maybe something will happen?

I just wanna play the games....lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They should end with "poorer than the Antikythera mechanism"

The antikythera mechanism is some impressive shit considering when it was made. The SH TI-83 downports are just shit.

Since I don't have a ps2 or a PC to play these I went out in search for a copy.....no luck whatsoever .....tried many different stores.....I could find it for 360 but not ps3.

The guy at best buy said they pulled the ps3 copies....so maybe something will happen?

I just wanna play the games....lol

Amazon is still selling the PS3 version, so it must be Best Buy who've pulled the PS3 version themselves then. I doubt Konami would bother doing it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Running around town aimlessly and then into an apartment building as blobs spray me as my radio warns me whenever one is near is kind of... boring.

The new ones are better in SH2 in my opinion, don't let nostalgia fool you.

For Silent Hill 3, the problem with the news ones is that they're not properly synced especially the last stage.

Coming from somebody who has never properly played through Silent Hill 2 on PS2 and played the New Voices before switching to the Old Voices halfway through: I would honestly say that the old voices keep a lot of character that is lost in new recordings. Everyone in the new voices sounds like a stereotype, Eddie is now a Stoner, Maria's a prostitute, the little girl is now every stereotypical girl in a horror film ever.

But the worst of all?

James is now motherfucking Shadow the Hedgehog.

"MARRIAAAAAA"

Running around town aimlessly and then into an apartment building as blobs spray me as my radio warns me whenever one is near is kind of... boring.

You can turn off the radio if you want. It makes it a bit more thrilling when you don't know if there are monsters.

The DF comparison video is great. Shows how big of a mess they did with the fog.

"That shadow just now..." No it's not a shadow, it's a fucking monster because now it's as plain as day to see!

ibhFZJSoe2khrl.gif

wow

hertog

Just finished part 2, still an amazing game.
Even though the port is horrible, is still a beautiful game. I can't believe that this game is ten years old!

And just started with part 3, never got past the subway system is this game. I borrowed it from a friend, but I was disappointed in how combat-heavy this game was.
But this time I'll finish it :)

hertog said:
I borrowed it from a friend, but I was disappointed in how combat-heavy this game was.
I just finished 3 on the PC and I've no idea what you mean by that. I think you'll find that's not the case when you revisit it. 3 is no more combat heavy than 2. You can avoid combat at nearly every turn outside of the boss battles.

On that subject, I took some shots of 3 running at 1080p on my rig. It's amazing how well the game holds up visually.

(made them links so as to not throw off the page view)

http://i.minus.com/iBPV9NGKxOMDU.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibt5ZnfQw6hoVw.jpg

http://i.minus.com/izqE1zdXnSXIl.jpg

http://i.minus.com/it9oYnWUtvTFZ.jpg

http://i.minus.com/i94jFPJKLCVZ3.jpg

The DF comparison video is great. Shows how big of a mess they did with the fog.

"That shadow just now..." No it's not a shadow, it's a fucking monster because now it's as plain as day to see!

ibhFZJSoe2khrl.gif

wow

and always that sudden wall of white...

in the video you can also see some interesting ideas about how light&shadows work...
wHQVy.jpg

ha-ha indeed

addyb

I finished silent hill earlier. (got the bad+ ending) I look forward to my 1st experience with SH2 tomorrow regardless of the shitty port.

Cudder

I just finished 3 on the PC and I've no idea what you mean by that. I think you'll find that's not the case when you revisit it. 3 is no more combat heavy than 2. You can avoid combat at nearly every turn outside of the boss battles.

On that subject, I took some shots of 3 running at 1080p on my rig. It's amazing how well the game holds up visually.

(made them links so as to not throw off the page view)

http://i.minus.com/iBPV9NGKxOMDU.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibt5ZnfQw6hoVw.jpg

http://i.minus.com/izqE1zdXnSXIl.jpg

http://i.minus.com/it9oYnWUtvTFZ.jpg

http://i.minus.com/i94jFPJKLCVZ3.jpg
those SH3 otherworld pics make me so fucking livid at how the otherworld in Downpour turned out. :'(

http://i.minus.com/ibhFZJSoe2khrl.gif[img]

wow[/QUOTE]

Yep, I noticed this and pointed it out earlier in the thread as well. It's a damn mess.

I'm glad I rented it rather than bought, but damn.. I really wanted to play SH3 again (sold my copy years ago). I'm holding onto hope for a patch but I might as well just send it back until that happens... IF that happens, I should say.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Will I miss out on anything if I put the combat on easy or beginner, just to mitigate the clunky combat? Are the puzzles more interesting on hard?

Will I miss out on anything if I put the combat on easy or beginner, just to mitigate the clunky combat? Are the puzzles more interesting on hard?

The puzzles only change in SH3 with higher difficulty levels, and there are separate difficulty level options for puzzles and for combat.

In SH3, the puzzles become holyshit mindfucks, for example the first puzzle you must read passages from Shakespeare and hope you can come up with a four-digit code from the info within. That is the first puzzle in the game.

I recommend playing SH's on higher combat difficulties, I always found the combat more urgent and oppressing than "clunky" :p

The puzzles only change in SH3 with higher difficulty levels, and there are separate difficulty level options for puzzles and for combat.

The puzzles change in SH2 as well. The wallet you grab out of the toilet with the combination to the safe becomes a puzzle on the hard or extra riddle difficulty. The other puzzles have riddles which are more cryptic and require more thought that what you get on normal or easy.

Not at all. Play on the difficulty that will help your enjoyment of the game. As for puzzle difficulty, it may not be a bad idea to start on normal because the hard riddle difficulty can be a pain at times.

In SH3, the puzzles become holyshit mindfucks, for example the first puzzle you must read passages from Shakespeare and hope you can come up with a four-digit code from the info within. That is the first puzzle in the game.

I recommend playing SH's on higher combat difficulties, I always found the combat more urgent and oppressing than "clunky" :p

I highly recommend that people do not play Silent Hill 2 on the hard difficulty for their first time because there are two sections in the game which can be incredibly difficult if you're unfamiliar with it.

The puzzles change in SH2 as well. The wallet you grab out of the toilet with the combination to the safe becomes a puzzle on the hard or extra riddle difficulty. The other puzzles have riddles which are more cryptic and require more thought that what you get on normal or easy.

Wow, is that right? It's been so damn long since I played SH2 :/

I should go back and unlock all of the endings. Man, I miss this series...

Wow, is that right? It's been so damn long since I played SH2 :/

I should go back and unlock all of the endings. Man, I miss this series...

There's also the code to the door on the third floor of the hospital. Instead of giving you the numbers, you have to figure out the four numbers based on the hint you find in the examination room. It's not particularly difficult, but still different compared to the easier settings.

The different difficulty settings for combat and riddles was one of my favorite things about these games.

How many Silent Hill games offer the puzzle difficulty levels? There's Silent Hill 2, 3 and Downpour, but I know The Room and the first game only have the action level difficulty. I've played Origins and Shattered Memories, but I don't remember if they offered the puzzle difficultly levels.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm probably one of those annoying "not seeing the forest for the trees" guys, but I just spent the better part of half an hour running around trying to figure out what to do, only to have to check a FAQ and realise that a door previously locked randomly unlocked itself without telling me after a story event. That sucked.

I know I'm probably one of those annoying "not seeing the forest for the trees" guys, but I just spent the better part of half an hour running around trying to figure out what to do, only to have to check a FAQ and realise that a door previously locked randomly unlocked itself without telling me after a story event. That sucked.

As a general rule in Silent Hill games, doors that have broken locks cannot be opened (excluding the observatory in Silent Hill 2, but you need a special key which is unlocked after at least two playthroughs) and those that are locked are opened either by key or after completing a certain task.

Which part in question are you talking about?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
After meeting Eddie, Angela's room unlocked itself.

Is there a decent rule of thumb for knowing which doors are usable when outside?

After meeting Eddie, Angela's room unlocked itself.

Is there a decent rule of thumb for knowing which doors are usable when outside?

The camera usually positions itself in front of a door or area which can be accessed, such as Neely's Bar. The buildings in Silent Hill except for Neely's Bar, the apartments, Brookhaven Hospital, Heaven's Night, the bowling alley and the Historical Society are inaccessible. Most of the locations I've listed are all based on story progression too. There's also a trailer you can enter which contains a save-point, but there's really no reason to go inside unless you're on a second playthrough (or more) or you want to save. It's possible to enter it before the apartment and doing so will lead you to Neely's and then the apartments. However, you will pass by it after completing the hospital.

Yes, it is easy to get lost or confused while roaming the town in Silent Hill 2 because it's pretty big, but the game leaves several hints to lead you in the right direction. Just make sure to use your map.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I played the game a dozen times and I had no idea that there were any magic door shenanigans at work, but I guess it makes sense that the game wouldn't let you proceed to any plot critical rooms without clearing certain conditions, or at least not without being super obvious about it.

The best way to go about any indoor area in silent hill is to tackle them floor by floor. Check every single door and scour each open room before you move on to the next. If you play like that you won't miss anything. The map auto-updates itself and marks all doors you check with an X if it will never open.

I played the game a dozen times and I had no idea that there were any magic door shenanigans at work, but I guess it makes sense that the game wouldn't let you proceed to any plot critical rooms without clearing certain conditions, or at least not without being super obvious about it.

The best way to go about any indoor area in silent hill is to tackle them floor by floor. Check every single door and scour each open room before you move on to the next. If you play like that you won't miss anything. The map auto-updates itself and marks all doors you check with an X if it will never open.

When I was replaying Silent Hill 3 some time ago, there was a door in the alternate hospital that was locked and I never found a key for it. I was really confused because I could not figure out how to enter that room.

It wasn't until a few replays later that I discovered it unlocks after receiving the "happy birthday" phone-call in the locker.

Persona7

Banned
If I were to get stuck I would first check the inventory and see if I picked up a item. Then check the map for doors I could not get through previously. Try them all.

After awhile you will get into a nice groove. At least I do.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
How many Silent Hill games offer the puzzle difficulty levels? There's Silent Hill 2, 3 and Downpour, but I know The Room and the first game only have the action level difficulty. I've played Origins and Shattered Memories, but I don't remember if they offered the puzzle difficultly levels.

0rigins and Homecoming don't let you select puzzle difficulty, only combat difficulty. Shattered Memories has no difficulty selection at all from what I can remember.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I received my original Xbox version of Silent Hill 2 today. I'll post impressions and screenshots if anyone is curious how it performs on the 360.

I just played up until the point where you get the radio. So far, so good. It looks great on my 47" LED TV. My god, the fog! It's beautiful!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed the hospital a lot more than the apartment building. It's a shame, though, I'm not really feeling the general atmosphere of the game anywhere near as much as I expect I would have back when this game was first released.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I enjoyed the hospital a lot more than the apartment building. It's a shame, though, I'm not really feeling the general atmosphere of the game anywhere near as much as I expect I would have back when this game was first released.

it probably doesn't help that the version you're playing has all the atmosphere sucked out

Nemesis_

I don't know why you would play this version if it's your first time ;_;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, is there another easy to find, legally available version of SH2 that I can play on my consoles or PC?

Top Bottom