• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Man, they really did mess up the video tape in room 312. It cuts off before
James kills Mary
so it makes no goddamn sense to people who are playing the game for the first time.

Skullkid

I think the videotape is zoomed in so much that it's hard to make out what happened. This is the most important scene in the game so I wish they had just left it alone.

Combichristoffersen

I think the videotape is zoomed in so much that it's hard to make out what happened. This is the most important scene in the game so I wish they had just left it alone.

You can still see him pulling the pillow over her head, but it's a bit hard to see because it's not full-screen.

To me it seemed like the TV went all snowy before the video got to that part. Either way, that particular video is messed up :|

So when is the big patch coming? Is the collection worth it after the patch?

The 'big patch' is out now, at least for the PS3 version. And no, the HD collection still isn't worth it unless you have no other means of playing SH2 and 3.

Bittercup

Has the depth of field been fixed in the new patch?
Silent Hill 3 had this effect in cutscenes, e.g. right at the beginning in the mall where Heather makes the phone call and Douglas talks to her the background was blurred. This was missing from the HD Collection and everything appeared sharp.
I read several reports that the effect was restored with the big patch but for me it's still missing.
I have the EU version with Patch 1.01 (apparently the same as US Patch 1.02 although much smaller in size)

Lime

It's too bad that this entire debacle has happened, as I was really looking forward to recommend my non-esoteric friends the collection. I was especially presuming the collection would be a good example of what games are able to achieve artistically and emotionally, so that people who are unfamiliar with the medium would become aware that there are other more meaningful offerings than shootbangs, lazy storytelling, and play-and-forget experiences.

Bittercup

So far this patch was only announced and released for the PS3 version and no word about the Xbox360 version. I don't think they mentioned platforms at the first announcement months ago, just that they were working on a patch.
Although Konami wrote on Twitter that the patch is already out for both platforms:
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/225306951041548290
but that's apparently a mix-up.
For now it's just guessing and waiting what they'll do with the 360 version.
I think a 360 patch is likely. Most of the fixes were about adding missing sound effects and improving the fog problems and voice sync issues and those weren't PS3 specific problems. Wouldn't make much sense to fix this on one platform and not on the other.
Sony was probably just a bit faster with certification. At least that's my guess.

Combichristoffersen

So far this patch was only announced and released for the PS3 version and no word about the Xbox360 version. I don't think they mentioned platforms at the first announcement months ago, just that they were working on a patch.
Although Konami wrote on Twitter that the patch is already out for both platforms:
https://twitter.com/Konami/status/225306951041548290
but that's apparently a mix-up.
For now it's just guessing and waiting what they'll do with the 360 version.
I think a 360 patch is likely. Most of the fixes were about adding missing sound effects and improving the fog problems and voice sync issues and those weren't PS3 specific problems. Wouldn't make much sense to fix this on one platform and not on the other.
Sony was probably just a bit faster with certification. At least that's my guess.

Either that, or they patched the PS3 version first, since that was the version with the most severe problems.

Fiiiinally got SH3 PC, but the 360 controller button layout is f'd up and I can't seem to figure out a proper configuration. I've searched but can't really find anything. For those of you that have played it with that controller, what's the best button config? Thanks.

Bittercup

Either that, or they patched the PS3 version first, since that was the version with the most severe problems.
Seems like this is the case. Over 2 weeks later and sill no sign of a Xbox360 patch and the twitter post where Konami mentioned the patch for both platforms got deleted.
On the gamefaqs forum some wrote that they got an answer from Xbox360 and Konami Support, Xbox360 not having the patch for certification and Konami not having any new informations.
I still think it's strange. The PS3 might have been in more dire need of a patch but the patch consists mainly out of missing/fixed audio files and 3 videos (only US patch), the 360 version could benefit from as well.

Fiiiinally got SH3 PC, but the 360 controller button layout is f'd up and I can't seem to figure out a proper configuration. I've searched but can't really find anything. For those of you that have played it with that controller, what's the best button config? Thanks.
I played it on the PS2 and the HD Collection (PS3) and the default setting works fine for me and should work with the 360 Pad as well.
The buttons are set like this:
Enter: A or Start
Cancel: B,X,Y
Skip: Enter
Pause: Select
Aim right: RB
Aim left: LB
Action: A
Run/Guard: X
Search View: LT
Item (Inventory): Start
Light: B
Aim: RT
Map: Y
Restore: press right Stick

If you prefer a more traditional shooter layout, Aim LT, Action RT would probably work fine, too.
The Aim left/right buttons are pretty useless in my opinion so you could put search view there.

kyleb

Neo Member
With the official 360 controller drivers the triggers are always Z axis +/-. and like many games SH3 doesn't allow binding axes to what are typically button functions. To work around that issue you'll need to use a program like JoyToKey which allows binding the controller inputs to whatever keyboard or mouse functions you like.

That said, if you've got a wired 360 controller, I recommend replacing the official drivers with XBCD when playing older games. With that driver you can customize and save controller configurations for whatever a game was designed for, so even hard-bound stuff like menu commands in SH2-4 and many other games work right, and there's no need to mess with the in game configurations at all.

Erm, is this worth picking up for PS3 post patch?

I have never played the original games, I have no PS2 but had my eye on this prior to release.

Likely to go trade in a few games today, and may grab this if I find it cheap.

Bittercup

Erm, is this worth picking up for PS3 post patch?

I have never played the original games, I have no PS2 but had my eye on this prior to release.
I would say yes, if you can live with shortcomings.

For Silent Hill 2 the performance is ok, the fog density is comparable with the PC version and scenes like the one in the park are properly foggy, too.
Only the boat scene while significantly improved still doesn't look very good. But that's 2min of gameplay and strange changes like the dark road, but that's something you probably won't bother about if you haven't played the games before. At least it doesn't make the game worse.
There's not much I would criticise and would recommend the game.
Silent Hill 3 has unfortunately more problems.
The depth of field effect in cutscenes is missing for almost the whole game and the game has often issues with shadows where they appear very blocky. The framerate is in few areas very unstable. It stays playable but is noticeable more choppy.
I would say it's all in all playable and for someone who has never played it before it's still recommendable but it's in need of an additional patch before I would call it an acceptable port.

I would say yes, if you can live with shortcomings.

For Silent Hill 2 the performance is ok, the fog density is comparable with the PC version and scenes like the one in the park are properly foggy, too.
Only the boat scene while significantly improved still doesn't look very good. But that's 2min of gameplay and strange changes like the dark road, but that's something you probably won't bother about if you haven't played the games before. At least it doesn't make the game worse.
There's not much I would criticise and would recommend the game.
Silent Hill 3 has unfortunately more problems.
The depth of field effect in cutscenes is missing for almost the whole game and the game has often issues with shadows where they appear very blocky. The framerate is in few areas very unstable. It stays playable but is noticeable more choppy.
I would say it's all in all playable and for someone who has never played it before it's still recommendable but it's in need of an additional patch before I would call it an acceptable port.

Thank you.

Yeah, I've seen numerous videos of the problems and I don't think the water is going to bother me at all.

My main concern with 2 was obviously framerate but from what I've read that's been mostly fixed too, and I can live with a few dips here and there.

Shame to hear about 3 having issues, but as long as it's playable - i have no benchmark to compare it with obviously, so I'm lucky in that sense.

Silent Hill HD Collection patch for Xbox 360 CANCELLED. From Konami:

Tk2v7.png

LINK_STOP_LAUGHING_MAH_BOI_by_Aethios.png

Mr_Zombie

"X360 users continue to experience issues with our game and we won't release a patch. But hey, our game is available at retails stores nationwide - totally buy it!"

:lol

Bittercup

wow, that's ridiculous o_O
I guess this sets the chances of an additional Patch for PS3 to fix the issues with SH3 to zero as well :/

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Don't worry guys and gals. I'm sure there will be another SH HD Rerelease on the PS4/720, they'll get it right eventually.

I am really enjoying Silent Hill 2 (even if I have been using a tutorial for some of the puzzles....eek) and only noticeable problems has been some stutter when moving around outside.

Shameful.

Seriously, Konami, you could have won back so many old customers and gained so many new ones had you handled this HD collection properly. What is wrong with you? Geez...

Just got out of the seemingly endless
tunnels and sewers
in SH3 on the PC and it's so beautiful. I should have played SH3 more than twice back in the day.

Will there be more "boss fights", or was the initial one an isolated event? It's been a long time and I don't want to internet spoil myself.

Finished SH2 today, and it was perfectly playable [PS3].

My mind is full of fuck at the plot though, gonna have to think about that another time :p

Just got out of the seemingly endless
tunnels and sewers
in SH3 on the PC and it's so beautiful. I should have played SH3 more than twice back in the day.

Will there be more "boss fights", or was the initial one an isolated event? It's been a long time and I don't want to internet spoil myself.

Yes, there are several boss fights in the game.

televator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya4XhTPMcc

Silent Hill HD Collection review Part 1 by TwinPerfect

This actually made me angry and I don't even own the HD collection. Konami really asked money for this crap? WTF?! I already had it in my mind that this wasn't worth buying, but this goes beyond my lowest expectations. They REALLY fucked this up! Hijinks is officially on my personal black list. I do not want anything done by them.

jimi_dini

This actually made me angry and I don't even own the HD collection.

...and TwinPerfect are not even done yet. It seems another 1 hour part will be released soon lol

And the 38:00 reenactment is hilarious, I love it.

Still I feel really sad about the members of Team Silent (Masahiro Ito, etc.) that responded via twitter :( All their work in ruins.

Lime

Holy shit at this part I can't believe this was approved by anyone in charge of this collection.

However, these TwinPerfect guys need to fix their delivery of the points they are making. Whatever arguments they have are drowned in the obnoxious, nasal voices and their yelling bad jokes. Plus they also lack any photogenic appearance whatsoever.

Additionally, they make too many assumptions about the production process. For example they assume that play testers/QA didn't say anything about the overwhelming amount of bugs, which I assume is untrue, as it is often the case of the programmers/bug fixers and the publisher to fix the bug reports.

Combichristoffersen

You are joking. The fuck? I mean on forums there is allways a lot of hyperbole, but if I had bought this, I'd have demanded a refund. This is pathethic, no it's unexcusable.

No, seriously. Not only was it slow, but it was horribly jittery, with a framerate that went up and down faster than a whore at a gangbang, and occasionally the game would just freeze for a few seconds. It was complete and utter shit, and almost unplayable. Post-patch it's better, but still far from a good port.

Holy shit at this part I can't believe this was approved by anyone in charge of this collection.

However, these TwinPerfect guys need to fix their delivery of the points they are making. Whatever arguments they have are drowned in the obnoxious, nasal voices and their yelling bad jokes. Plus they also lack any photogenic appearance whatsoever.

Additionally, they make too many assumptions about the production process. For example they assume that play testers/QA didn't say anything about the overwhelming amount of bugs, which I assume is untrue, as it is often the case of the programmers/bug fixers and the publisher to fix the bug reports.

having watched previous Twin Perfect videos, I knew not to watch this one. they seem to believe they know better than anyone else when it comes to the Silent Hill series. layer that with the sad truth of how the HD collection turned out... there's no way I'd have made it through.

Lime

having watched previous Twin Perfect videos, I knew not to watch this one. they seem to believe they know better than anyone else when it comes to the Silent Hill series. layer that with the sad truth of how the HD collection turned out... there's no way I'd have made it through.

Still, their empirical data is worth it for the watch (just skip whatever parts they begin to ramble). I mean, Twinperfect obviously do an elaborate job of finding and comparing cutscenes, music, sounds, etc., which support their main purpose of the videos: To highlight the many deliberate edits, alterations and cuts to the original versions, as well as the many bugs, errors, and so forth. So in that regard it doesn't have anything to the lore or interpretation of the SH universe, but is instead a descriptive statement about the quality of the released software.

I cancelled my pre-order once the rumours about the shittiness of the ports began to surface, so TwinPerfect's specific examples at least made me realise (even more) the level of intelligence of Konami, Tomm Hullett, and whoever else approved of this travesty. This HD collection is an incredibly faulty product with specific evidence of people messing with the original material without knowing what they were doing, e.g. switching up the music in cutscenes, completely obliterating the final video sequence in SH2, and so on. I'm really amazed that the people involved in this release are able to still have a job in a supposedly creative industry, while also being able to sleep at night. This is simply a lazy cash grab that's even more despicable than whatever EA would ever hope to achieve.

jimi_dini

Damn, what's with all the dislikes for the video? My Silent Hill HD videos didn't get anywhere close that amount of dislikes.

Watch directly on youtube and turn on annotations. They explicitly ASK everyone right at the start to dislike the video (disliking the Silent Hill HD collection). So it's even funny that they get so many likes ;)

No, seriously. Not only was it slow, but it was horribly jittery, with a framerate that went up and down faster than a whore at a gangbang, and occasionally the game would just freeze for a few seconds. It was complete and utter shit, and almost unplayable. Post-patch it's better, but still far from a good port.

I would have demanded my money back. This is basically a broken product. Good that my new Laptop is strong enough to play the PC versions or I could search my PS2 versions and play it on an emulator.

Combichristoffersen

I would have demanded my money back. This is basically a broken product. Good that my new Laptop is strong enough to play the PC versions or I could search my PS2 versions and play it on an emulator.

I knew what I was getting myself into, as I mainly bought the game out of morbid curiosity because I wanted to see exactly how botched the ports were (and because I want to help keep the SH series alive, because Downpour was a step in the right direction). Besides, I already have SH2 for PS2 and SH3 for PC and PS2, so I have superior options available anyway :lol

Audioboxer

Now have the PS3 copy in my hands, am I a bad person for finally buying it? :(

Soo starved of good horror/suspense games these days, not even going near RE6.

I thought there were a few PS3 patches btw? When booted up I only see patch 1.01 to download? It is 57mb.

Audioboxer

Yes. And you should feel bad.

Feel pity for me!

Having loved the originals I'm sure I'll be in for a treat.

edit: SH2 starts okay, fair enough I notice the clean roads, but the fog is okay at the start (windy path down). Someone else mentioned the patch reverted audio to 2.1, 5.1 is working fine for me? Probably going to be a case of the patch is sufficient enough for me to still enjoy a playthrough on the big screen with some trophies.

Bittercup

Audίoboxer;42982273 said:
I thought there were a few PS3 patches btw? When booted up I only see patch 1.01 to download? It is 57mb.
Yes that's correct. The US version got 2 patches and the first one was already included in the EU release therefore only one patch.

Audioboxer

Does anyone else have an issue with really low voice volume in cutscenes?

I can hardly make out what anyone is saying at times with global volume set at a moderate level.

Top Bottom