• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Diebuster

Celine said:
Woah
a total different reaction from Cheryl to Harry ( and a different vocal song too ).

Can't see much who the woman is.
Seems the blonde woman in the video to me but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure it's Dahlia. In a different ending where you see Cheryl's mom and Harry talking, you can tell she's wearing the same outfit as the woman in the video. Since Cheryl's mom looks and sounds like an older Dahlia, I assume she is Dahlia.

Celine said:
Woah
a total different reaction from Cheryl to Harry ( and a different vocal song too ).

Can't see much who the woman is ?
Seems the blonde woman in the video to me but I'm not sure.

Chase sequences shortcomings , IMO, are that they are too much set apart from the rest of the gameplay like you said and that they are basic as are the puzzles.
When you understand how they work, you can pass any of them without much trouble because they are always ( mostly ) the same .

EDIT:
an yes voice acting is really really good in this game.

In the first video, the "Good Harry" video, the woman looks like Cheryl's mom from the video sequence. So the general synopsis is it's Cheryl's mom. Nobody knows for 100% sure though.

As for the ending variations, there's three different Harry meets Cheryl variations. There's also four different video clip variations. Plus the Cheryl meeting her mom trigger.

BTW, if you're curious what the 3rd Harry meets Cheryl variation is, it's called Hero Forever. It's the trippiest of all the endings.

Here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aeTV3CVL6Y

You'll never guess how to get this ending. Look it up, it's hilarious :)

Or you can ask here, and I'll tell you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game has instantly rocketed to one of my "best games I've ever played" list. I mean.....wow, there is so much going on here, its almost impossible to understand it all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've applied for a writing position at PALGN, since they're looking for new guys and I've got the time spare to contribute. I've never written reviews for a site before, so for my mock review I wrote one up for this game. I'm not totally happy with the review, and I missed discussing the audio (doh!), but I'll post it here anyway to clarify my thoughts on the game as a whole without spoilers;

Harry Mason can’t cut a break. A decade ago he was tasked with finding his lost daughter Cheryl in the town of Silent Hill. After slugging through waves of monsters, cultists, and a good few centimeters of snowfall you’d think going back would be the least of his priorities. Yet here we are, in 2010, doing just that. Billed as a reimagining of the game that started at all, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories takes us back to the beginning, this time with a new coat of paint and a series reboot.

Reimagining is definitely the right term to describe Shattered Memories. Developers Climax Group has been insistent that with Team Silent dead and recent franchises entries earning subpar reception from fans and critics alike that it was time to do something different. And for better or worse, Shattered Memories is just that. On one hand its part of a franchise at least six entries strong, yet on the other it’s a complete reboot. In some ways it expands and improves franchise staples, yet in others it removes gameplay elements entirely in favor of something fresh.

So let’s first look at what Shattered Memories adds to Silent Hill. Some of the big additions come from how Harry navigates the world. Loading screens are gone, instead loading data on the fly, allowing players to move from room to room without interruption. Occasionally the player will be asked to jump fences, open doors, or crawl under low passes, and all of this is engaged by simply pressing a button or even automatically. Looking around is accomplished via the Wii remote’s pointer, controlling the flashlight, and this along with everything else feels tight and responsive.

The remote’s pointer goes even further when solving puzzles. Rather than being asked to solve some arbitrary riddle, puzzles play almost like an enhanced version of those found in Myst games. Presented with an on-screen scenario, players will point an interactive hand icon at context sensitive objects and manipulate them as they desire. Open draws, pull pins from locks, flip pages of books, etc. Rather than pressing a button, players must physically interact with the world around them. This, along with the above, does a fantastic job of creating a sense of player presence in the game world, even if the puzzles themselves are rarely difficult or complex. Another addition comes in the form of Harry’s PDA. A robust device, it allows players to make telephone calls, view messages, view the game map, take photographs, and more. See a billboard with a telephone number on it? Give a call to hear the conversation through the Wii remote’s speaker. See a ghostly apparition? Take a photograph to reveal the truth. More than just a cool toy to play with, the PDA is used in some puzzle solving, and also in telling the plot through the many interactive scenarios throughout the game. Really, the PDA and the seamless navigation go to great lengths in creating a believable town. Silent Hill is unfortunately quite linear, but it never really seems as such, instead feeling more genuine and alive than many of the games before it.

One of the biggest additions to the Silent Hill formula is the ‘psychological profiling’. Promoted as a way for the game to play you, it serves the purpose of shaping the world around you. Throughout the game players will find themselves seated in a psychologist’s chair, answering questions about social and family life, drugs, and sexuality. Behind the scenes the game will note how you solve puzzles and which objects attract your attention first. All of these go towards altering the presentation and feel of the game. Characters may be dressed differently or even have completely different personalities. Monster will take on disturbing new forms. Entire rooms might feature different props and design to reflect the kind of person you are. Perhaps not used to the extent it should have been, and not feeling quite as impactful as one would like, it at least adds an extra layer of variety, giving reason to play through more than once, and is something new to experience.

While all of these mechanics could fit into standard Silent Hill gameplay, some of the changes made are much more drastic, and most can be found in the way the game handles its horror. Simply put, combat is gone and horror segments are separated from exploration. In these scenarios Harry’s world frosts over, conjuring diabolical monsters hell-bent on making him lose a few kilograms. Known as chase sequences, Harry’s goal in each of these is to reach a checkpoint, which mostly consists of barging through doors, jumping fences, and trying to avoid the samba train of fleshy terrors following hot on your heels.
This is where Shattered Memories’ quality is hindered. Harry controls fine, but navigation can be tedious due to confusing environment layout. Monsters chasing Harry will latch on if they get too close, and while the player is given the ability to shake them off with Wii motions, these are not always as responsive as they should be. With fear subjective, the scariness of these chases is hit and miss. While some will find them tense, others will not, and this has potential to damage the mood. The chase scenes themselves disappointingly hurt the atmosphere of the game, especially considering the potential of what the spooky ice world could have given had it been more about exploration and puzzle solving, instead passing by either far too quickly to be all that interesting or too long and tedious to be much fun at all. Later in the game these chase sequences improve somewhat with a bit of extra puzzle solving and tension building, and the ice world itself is interestingly integral to the plot, but they’re by far the lowest point of the game.

One of Shattered Memories’ greatest achievements is its plot. Hooking you right from the start, it is one of the best plots I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing in an interactive medium. It is difficult to describe it in lengths without giving too much away, but suffice to say this is one of the few examples of where the act of gameplay itself and interactivity serves as a theme and element of the story. Players will feel genuinely attached to Harry and desperate to resolve the madness around him, and the ending will blow you away. All characters mostly voiced and written very well, along with the extra details added in with phone calls and messages, greatly aid in telling this superb tale that remains second best in this franchise only to Silent Hill 2.

Graphically the game is mostly impressive. As mentioned, real time shadow casting from objects via the flashlight look fantastic, and the world of Silent Hills is rendered convincingly. Some low resolution textures and occasional performance issues, such as an inconsistent framerate, hinder it from being as much of a visual splendor as Silent Hill 3, but it’s nothing that will dramatically hurt the experience. As a whole it’s definitely one the better looking titles on the Wii, and has the bells and whistles of widescreen and 480p.

So where does this leave Shattered Memories as a game? Fresh, unique, and different not just for the franchise, but the platform and genre it is a part of. Lovingly crafted, even with its occasional rough edges it never stops delivering on new ideas and ways to keep the player hooked. It may not be the game some have asked for, but what is here offers something too special to overlook.

A mix of old a new Silent Hill, with genuinely interesting mechanics wrapped in a killer plot. One of the best titles for the Wii and like nothing else. 8/10

The_Technomancer said:
This game has instantly rocketed to one of my "best games I've ever played" list. I mean.....wow, there is so much going on here, its almost impossible to understand it all.

That's true. The game is much larger than one run through can get. For example, every single voice mail, echo message, or even ghost message, has 2-4 different variations based on your choices. Even the pictures on the cell phone change.

The ghost messages, in particular, are the most haunting of the entire game.

The reason is because they affected Cheryl tremendously and thus she remembers them vividly. That's why the ghosts are partially visible before you take the picture. They're vivid memories of her past. And, if I remember correctly, all but one of them are something sad that either happened directly to her, or to someone she knew. She has a problem with distancing herself from her bad memories, that's why everything is still so vivid to her. She cannot accept them and move on.

On your next playthrough, try to get all of the ghost messages. It's highly recommended. You can get a list of them in a FAQ.

Of all the messages, the one that affects me the most is the ghost that is just before the cinema, sitting on a bench near some cones.

Here's a list of just about every echo message and ghost message variation in the game (only go here if you've beaten the game!):
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_shattered_memories/messages_en.htm

Anyway, here's the single message that I found had the most impact for me:

[Var. 3]
-Malcolm. Doing my rounds. I saw her again. I... I, aw shit, you know, I guess I can say this. I turned my back when she took something. Pretended I didn't see it. Why? I dunno. I guess I feel sorry for her. Last time we grabbed her, when we were talking to her... I dunno, there was so much sadness in those eyes. I felt sorry for her.

----

You can see the sadness in this ending video when Cheryl is leaving the clinic to her mom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7fGgWF5H0

Anyway, here's the last part of the sequence from the Malcolm log. This one is from the ghost message that you may have missed, so this may be new to you:

[Var. 2]
-911? It's Malcolm the security guard, he's been stabbed!
-Slow down, sir. Is there bleeding?
-Yes. There's lots. He's not moving.
-And the attacker? Is he still there?
-She. It's a she. She's still here, she's sitting on a bench. She's just staring into space.
-The police and ambulance are on their way. Do not approach the attacker.

You can listen to the message on the site.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
SlipperySlope said:
Another thought. The voice actor for the therapist does perhaps the best VA job I've ever seen in a video game.

Yep. His performance in the last scene is very well done, probably the best I have seen in a video game.

EatChildren said:
I've applied for a writing position at PALGN, since they're looking for new guys and I've got the time spare to contribute. I've never written reviews for a site before, so for my mock review I wrote one up for this game. I'm not totally happy with the review, and I missed discussing the audio (doh!), but I'll post it here anyway to clarify my thoughts on the game as a whole without spoilers;

Good review.

Erebus

Whenever someone bumps this thread, I'm reminded that I still haven't gotten around to play SM.

Today I was messing with the Dolphin emulator in a desperate attempt to play the superior Wii version on my PC. However, it seems that there is major glitching with the shadows, therefore I'm stuck with either the PS2 or the PSP version. Is there anyone who has tried both? Are they completely identical?

MYE

DarkUSS said:
Whenever someone bumps this thread, I'm reminded that I still haven't gotten around to play SM.

Today I was messing with the Dolphin emulator in a desperate attempt to play the superior Wii version on my PC. However, it seems that there is major glitching with the shadows, therefore I'm stuck with either the PS2 or the PSP version. Is there anyone who has tried both? Are they completely identical?

Play it on the Wii?

benita

Banned
This game is finally out in Australia today!!!

At last!!

Don't know why I didn't import...

DarkUSS said:

Uh, I assume you own a legally purchased version of the Wii game right? I'm sure you wouldn't try to play a pirated version without at least owning the game on the platform you're attempting to emulate.

Erebus

benita said:
Uh, I assume you own a legally purchased version of the Wii game right? I'm sure you wouldn't try to play a pirated version without at least owning the game on the platform you're attempting to emulate.
Well that doesn't exactly answer my question but I see what you're trying to do. :p

I don't own a Wii, that's why I rented the game for a day to see how it performs on the emulator. Turns out that it doesn't perform how I expected (glitchy shadows and fps hiccups as I mentioned), thus buying the Wii version is out of the question at the moment.

MiniDitka

DarkUSS said:

Some Wii/PS2 comparison vids I made.

Contains potential spoilers.

Wii/PS2 comparison video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3npcgujs5EY

Ice-world comparison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9ZR6G1zk4

Ice-world transition comparison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFADEne_wfU

Same content, sharper graphics/controls being the difference.

mollipen

So, I kept meaning to remember to get a link up to this, but I recent did a one-on-one discussion podcast for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The reason I wanted to make sure to let all of GAF know is because this will give you all even more fuel in thinking I'm a raving lunatic for my opinions on the game. *heh*

For the podcast, my guest was Steve Haske, who is now one of the stars of the new GameFan magazine. The idea was to go at the game from two totally different viewpoints: the longtime series fan who disliked SM because of what it did to the core elements of the franchise (me), and the person who found the narrative of SM to be amazing and far more important than the gameplay, which was what originally drew him to SH2 in the first place (Steve).

The idea isn't an "I'm right, you're wrong" scenario, just a (hopefully) interesting discussion between two people who came at the same game from very different viewpoints. If you end up listening, hopefully it'll be entertaining enough to have been worth your time, but if not, like I said: at the very least, it'll just re-enforce the opinion of those of you who thought I was a total asshat for what I thought of the game.

Anyhow, you can find the podcast over here.

shidoshi said:
So, I kept meaning to remember to get a link up to this, but I recent did a one-on-one discussion podcast for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The reason I wanted to make sure to let all of GAF know is because this will give you all even more fuel in thinking I'm a raving lunatic for my opinions on the game. *heh*

For the podcast, my guest was Steve Haske, who is now one of the stars of the new GameFan magazine. The idea was to go at the game from two totally different viewpoints: the longtime series fan who disliked SM because of what it did to the core elements of the franchise (me), and the person who found the narrative of SM to be amazing and far more important than the gameplay, which was what originally drew him to SH2 in the first place (Steve).

The idea isn't an "I'm right, you're wrong" scenario, just a (hopefully) interesting discussion between two people who came at the same game from very different viewpoints. If you end up listening, hopefully it'll be entertaining enough to have been worth your time, but if not, like I said: at the very least, it'll just re-enforce the opinion of those of you who thought I was a total asshat for what I thought of the game.

Anyhow, you can find the podcast over here.

Interesting podcast. It takes a while to actually get to SM (46 minutes in).

Sorry for the long post, but this is how I feel about the story.

There is no real "wrong interpretation" to this game, so I'll just add my comments. You mentioned that there was no payoff when you complete the game. That what you did was for nothing. I didn't feel that way at all about the game. I felt that imagination Harry had a very direct impact on the game. Yes, he's a figment of her imagination. But the figment of her imagination has a direct purpose. That purpose is to help answer the riddle of Cheryl's mind.

Cheryl is of the belief her father is alive. As you travel through her memories, you, and thus Cheryl, in the end come to one conclusion. That he's in fact dead. As you travel through her mind, the pieces eventually get put together to where that is the only answer. When you talk to the cop outside the lighthouse, that's when Cheryl can come up with no other excuses. No other reasons that he is alive. Nothing else she can make up about his existence.

And it's the combination of you traveling through her memories and her nightmares, and the doctor's assistance, that gets Cheryl to that conclusion. You'll notice that the nightmares come right before Harry is about to learn the truth. Cheryl puts those nightmares there so that Harry, and she, can hide from the truth. Harry however keeps on fighting through those nightmares until he learns the truth.

When Cheryl learns the truth, mentally, she's set free from her past. As you learn from her memories, after the car accident, she got severely depressed. From the ghost image of her on the swing set wishing for her father to come back, to her bad school experiences, to the bad mall experiences where she lashed out and killed a security guard. Her life was hell for 18 years. In that 18 year span, she has not a single good memory. And it's all a result of her mental state. These visions of her father ruined her life. When she learns the truth, she can let go of her father, exit that hell, and have a hopeful future.

----

As for the messages that seem to have no meaning for either Harry or Cheryl, I think the opposite. I think most of those messages (like 90%+), and especially the ghost messages, meant something very special to Cheryl. They all seem to be things that either happened to her, or to somebody she knew (and thus helped shape the mental state she's in). A child friend of hers died in the forest (via a ghost message, it's a hard one to find so you may not have found it). Another friend, from her teenage years, also either died or nearly died in the forest from being slipped a drug. (this message changes depending on the answers you gave the psych, in some she seems to have lived, in others she clearly died).

Either she or a friend got raped in a car on the overlook. I think the general consensus is that this ghost was Cheryl, but I'm not 100%.

The Malcolm messages were all directly about Cheryl.

In the entire game, I think that Cheryl has only one particularly good memory. And that's the ghost message at the beginning of the amusement park.

I personally think that the characters you interact with, Michelle and Lisa, are both manifestations of Cheryl in her delusion. Michelle, for example, sings "You are always on my mind." Which Harry is to Cheryl. And both of those characters say that they fall for guys that look like their father, which Cheryl did in High School. In my first play through, I thought that the teacher Cheryl was having an affair with actually was Harry due to them looking alike and that Harry was in fact her teacher, not her father.

Again, sorry for the really long post.

Anyway, that's my interpretation. I could be wrong.

Celine

SlipperySlope said:
In the first video, the "Good Harry" video, the woman looks like Cheryl's mom from the video sequence. So the general synopsis is it's Cheryl's mom. Nobody knows for 100% sure though.

As for the ending variations, there's three different Harry meets Cheryl variations. There's also four different video clip variations. Plus the Cheryl meeting her mom trigger.

BTW, if you're curious what the 3rd Harry meets Cheryl variation is, it's called Hero Forever. It's the trippiest of all the endings.

Here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aeTV3CVL6Y

You'll never guess how to get this ending. Look it up, it's hilarious :)

Or you can ask here, and I'll tell you.
By far the worst ending.
In this case the journey was for nothing.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Celine said:
By far the worst ending.
In this case the journey was for nothing.
I guess you get this ending by (heavy ending spoilers)
resisting Dr. K so Cheryl doesn't get past her world of fantasy
, right? If so, it's pretty nice they thought of this.

Ricker

Absolutly horrid first impressions for me,but I won`t rant or whine,yet,because most of it was my fault because of my usual Wii controls hatred...because of that and being stuck in the back seat of the police car,not being able to get out,I had to exit the game and now I have to restart the whole running away from those creatures over,because it didn`t auto save after that...i`m back in the dinner,even before the whole coloring the house part...

Is there a lot of those running away parts? because I absolutly hated that...

Diebuster

Ricker said:
Absolutly horrid first impressions for me,but I won`t rant or whine,yet,because most of it was my fault because of my usual Wii controls hatred...because of that and being stuck in the back seat of the police car,not being able to get out,I had to exit the game and now I have to restart the whole running away from those creatures over,because it didn`t auto save after that...i`m back in the dinner,even before the wholo coloring the house part...

Unfortunately yes, there's a nightmare section for each area in the game. They are by far the worst parts of SM.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lyphen said:
Glad he touched on the story. Oh, wait.

Bland review.
Well yeah. I usually take that as a good sign though, since that means there aren't enough hilarious things to laugh at it with.

Honestly, how he described his play style made be think that he probably isn't the best person to review the game as it was. He was looking for horror methinks, and while it's worth pointing out that the game isn't particularly scary, what's necessary is to ask what the game is without being scary.

In either case it was entertaining enough. I just kind of wish he did a bit more with it.

Jocchan said:
I guess you get this ending by (heavy ending spoilers)
resisting Dr. K so Cheryl doesn't get past her world of fantasy
, right? If so, it's pretty nice they thought of this.

Yup. Fuck with him as much as you can. Contradict yourself at every opportunity. Look at the lamp while he's talking. Pair two gay couples. Put the abstract things all on one side. Say you're a slut and a virgin. You can get a complete list on GameFAQ's. So the game is realistic in this aspect. Ignore the psych, and keep living in your fantasy. I think it's good they included this ending, since it was your choice to ignore the psych.

Diebuster said:
Unfortunately yes, there's a nightmare section for each area in the game. They are by far the worst parts of SM.

They're annoying, but you get used to them. Once you know the route, you can beat them without dying.

Celine

SlipperySlope said:
Yup. Fuck with him as much as you can. Contradict yourself at every opportunity. Look at the lamp while he's talking. Pair two gay couples. Put the abstract things all on one side. Say you're a slut and a virgin. You can get a complete list on GameFAQ's. So the game is realistic in this aspect. Ignore the psych, and keep living in your fantasy. I think it's good they included this ending, since it was your choice to ignore the psych.
:lol
I need to do that on my third playthrough.

Absolutly horrid first impressions for me,but I won`t rant or whine,yet,because most of it was my fault because of my usual Wii controls hatred...because of that and being stuck in the back seat of the police car,not being able to get out,I had to exit the game and now I have to restart the whole running away from those creatures over,because it didn`t auto save after that...i`m back in the dinner,even before the whole coloring the house part...

Controls are fine IMO.
Expect to have problem with the next chase sequence however from there on you should get an hang on how it works ( that's my experience ).
For me the game "clicked" at the school ...

Mr_Zombie

shidoshi said:

I've just finished listening to this and I must say that it was a long and very interesting discussion; it definitely helps to understand why you dislike Shattered Memories so much.
Anyway, presenting the game by two people with completely different opinions on said game is how I think all reviews should be done. Unfortunately, it's impossible.

BTW. What was happening in the background? Was it some kind of music? Because through the entire podcast I thought that you two were in a restaurant or some kind of really busy kitchen, with lots of dishes being constantly moved around. :p

Oxx

It was only £17.95 @ Zavvi.co.uk this Monday so I jumped-in.

Now I just need to find some time to play it.

Are all the versions the same? For example, if I decide to go for the PSP version since I use it the most, will I be getting the same story, content, etc...?

mollipen

Mr_Zombie said:
TW. What was happening in the background? Was it some kind of music? Because through the entire podcast I thought that you two were in a restaurant or some kind of really busy kitchen, with lots of dishes being constantly moved around. :p

My initial idea was to try to make it sound like we were sitting in a cafe having the conversation, but in the end I'll probably be the only person who can appreciate that. *laughs* I'll no doubt drop it from the next episode.

SlipperySlope - I totally get what you're saying about the storyline. My argument, I guess, was that by not understand that that's what is going on, the motivation the player has for getting through the game is totally negated at the end. You end up with a finale that is kind of like, "Huh... well, that's pretty trippy," but then, at least for me, I realized that
EVERY action that I had taken from Harry's point of view, trying to help him find his daughter, was for nothing from Harry's perspective.

You could kind of compare it to The Sixth Sense, but in that case, the journey Bruce Willis' character takes ends up helping to resolve his own issues. For Harry, he's resolving his daughter's.

And that's a fine mission to be on - but I don't think the player needed to be lied to. Why not TELL the player that that's the mission they're on? Let the player in on the secret, and then through that, you're free to tell a storyline of a father who doesn't actually exists trying to help his daughter sort out her issues. Build the game so that what you do while playing Harry then determines how Cheryl acts during her sessions with Dr. Kauffman.

Instead of making the player think they are playing a traditional "save the princess" game, let them know that they're playing something far different. Build a rich and detailed storyline around that, instead of playing the "what a twist!" game.

At least, that's how I feel. The idea of Shattered Memories would have worked had it been a movie, because then the viewer has a passive role in what's going on. When you make it a game, like this, then it's easy to make the player feel that all of the effort they put out throughout the game was for nothing. (Yes, it was for the sake of Harry's daughter, but there's still that lack of payoff for what the player has been through.)

hellclerk

shidoshi said:
My initial idea was to try to make it sound like we were sitting in a cafe having the conversation, but in the end I'll probably be the only person who can appreciate that. *laughs* I'll no doubt drop it from the next episode.

SlipperySlope - I totally get what you're saying about the storyline. My argument, I guess, was that by not understand that that's what is going on, the motivation the player has for getting through the game is totally negated at the end. You end up with a finale that is kind of like, "Huh... well, that's pretty trippy," but then, at least for me, I realized that
EVERY action that I had taken from Harry's point of view, trying to help him find his daughter, was for nothing from Harry's perspective.

You could kind of compare it to The Sixth Sense, but in that case, the journey Bruce Willis' character takes ends up helping to resolve his own issues. For Harry, he's resolving his daughter's.

And that's a fine mission to be on - but I don't think the player needed to be lied to. Why not TELL the player that that's the mission they're on? Let the player in on the secret, and then through that, you're free to tell a storyline of a father who doesn't actually exists trying to help his daughter sort out her issues. Build the game so that what you do while playing Harry then determines how Cheryl acts during her sessions with Dr. Kauffman.

Instead of making the player think they are playing a traditional "save the princess" game, let them know that they're playing something far different. Build a rich and detailed storyline around that, instead of playing the "what a twist!" game.

At least, that's how I feel. The idea of Shattered Memories would have worked had it been a movie, because then the viewer has a passive role in what's going on. When you make it a game, like this, then it's easy to make the player feel that all of the effort they put out throughout the game was for nothing. (Yes, it was for the sake of Harry's daughter, but there's still that lack of payoff for what the player has been through.)
I'm going to have to say I completely disagree with everything you said.

To use another film reference, the Great Wizard of Oz isn't nearly as powerful or terrifying if you know about the man behind the curtain. The fact of the matter is that you CANNOT know Harry's reality, because if you did, learning of it would not nearly be so traumatizing. Once you learn about Harry's reality, you are ripped from your delusions. Your ideas of Harry, the man you've been playing for the past 5 or so hours as yourself, are shown to be simply a passing ghost. At the very end, you want as much as Cheryl that Harry is alive and well, that the vessel you poured your heart and soul into in the shape of beliefs, perceptions, personal prejudices, and understandings is more than just a bizarre illusion, created by an empathic town or a mental delusion. It's like having a close intimate friend that just up and disappeared as though he was never there.

No, you are meant to feel at least a measure of what Cheryl feels for her father. You're meant to look on Harry and come to a sudden and traumatic revelation that your relationship to the character known as Harry is empty and false and feel a loss by it. That is your reward, loss. This is a game where the whole point is to lose. This is why Harry's and by extension your reality cannot be revealed, because in order for you to lose, you must first think you're winning. You look for answers and the simple fatherly instinct to protect your precious offspring, and end up with the grim truth of loss, that it must be accepted and carried openly. The whole journey wasn't for Cheryl, it wasn't even for Harry, it was for the player. Many horror games ask you to face your fears, but Shattered Memories asks you to face yourself, and then it shows the mirror they gave you is really just a figment of your imagination. It's very nihilistic, but the understanding and acceptance of such loss makes that which we win much more precious. This game is a statement, but not one of the developers, but rather a statement of the players, and that's why there must be a twist, because without it the game is meaningless. Ironic that it gives you such profound meaning by taking away the entire meaning of the game in a scant 5 minute tirade by Dr. K.

Another reason why I love the game, I can have a huge block of blacked out text involving very in depth discussions on the implications of the design. Haven't had something like this since No More Heroes and Little King's Story (and then again with NMH2).

shidoshi said:

This reply will be shorter. Got work tomorrow.

Why doesn't the game let you know that Harry is dead at the beginning? I personally think it's because you're playing as Harry through Cheryl. He's just a figment of her imagination. Thus, if she thinks he is alive, then he thinks he is alive. The game is extremely introspective. As is usually the case for somebody who is depressed or delusional.

The goal of imagination Harry is to save his daughter. And in the end, he accomplishes just that. He saved his daughter. Not in the way he or we were thinking. That's what makes this game unique. How many other times do you save somebody through this method? The story and ending took some balls, and I think it payed off.

When I completed the game, I recalled periods in my own life where I lost somebody I loved. I actually had periods of delusions myself where I'd think they were still alive. I'd have dreams where they were still alive and everything was OK.

Then when you come to that sudden realization that they are gone forever, it's completely heart breaking. You feel so hopeless. So lost. And the feeling is just so sudden. So profound. I never cry. But when that hit, I cried like a little baby.

It's that memory of my own realization, and seeing exactly when Cheryl realizes it in the ending and her reaction, that it seems so real. So powerful. I feel connected to her. I can actually connect her realization to mine, which makes her character more real to me than any other character in any other medium ever.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
shidoshi said:

What you call just a
cheap "what a twist!" moment is actually a long build up to that reveal (something we rarely see in games, as they all tend to be as in-your-face as possible). Let's say you got to know the truth about Harry in the beginning, or halfway through the game. Would it have had the same impact it had after what you went through the whole game, constantly looking for Cheryl's whereabouts? Of course not. And what could that early reveal have led to exactly? If anything, letting the player know he's playing as a ghost or a memory in advance would have cheapened the game itself, as Harry's purpose (roaming through Cheryl's memories while she tries to finally let him go) would look far less compelling to the player than saving her from unknown horrors (that aren't actually there, but the player doesn't know it till the very end).
I know you feel like in the end you accomplished nothing, but I believe it's because you're underestimating Harry's role in the whole process: making Cheryl realize he's just a memory she needs to forget to go on with her life (and this regardless of Harry being just in her head or actually wandering through the town like Maria in SH2, element intentionally left to the player's imagination, as his role is exactly the same in both cases).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Yahtzee review was meh. I was expecting him to rip into it. I feel let down by his...lack of anger.

Kevtones

***ENDING SPOILERS***

My initial and simple interpretation of the game was that
your actions and Harry-experience within the game define Cheryl's memory of her father. Your input is her memory and everything Harry was (retroactively). In effect, you are Harry living in the mind of Cheryl.

The opening menu reiterates this too and I think the ending does as well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ending spoilarz here. I Push Fat Kids, you may want to write that explicitly (the part you left unspoiled may have some people believe you're talking about stuff that happens near the beginning, and someone could highlight the tagged part by mistake).

I Push Fat Kids said:
your actions and Harry-experience within the game define Cheryl's memory of her father. Your input is her memory and everything Harry was (retroactively). In effect, you are Harry living in the mind of Cheryl.

Yep. The player does definitely
define her memories, because you're essentially playing as Cheryl during her therapy and recounting them. So, with your actions throughout the game, you're essentially talking to the shrink the whole time.

hellclerk

I Push Fat Kids said:
***ENDING SPOILERS***

That was pretty much what I said in fewer words. I also discussed the implications of this as well.

Kevtones

I edited and thanks :)

I think the ending reveal heightens the impact of this idea ten fold. It's just such a great device that I can't see any other medium accomplishing quite as well.

Also, seeing this thread hover near the front page 5+ months after release warms my heart.... Goddamn it, I'm playing through it again :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I Push Fat Kids said:
I think the ending reveal heightens the impact of this idea ten fold. It's just such a great device that I can't see any other medium accomplishing quite as well.
Indeed.
I believe Shattered Memories, after a very slow start that lasts till after the woods, has a pretty awesome pacing. All the hints and reveals are distributed throughout the game, don't feel forced and keep you wondering what the hell is going on till the very end. Every part feels like it has about the right length (except maybe the "nowhere"), and the psych profiling influencing the game world - even though it doesn't really influence the story - makes perfect sense once you put it in context with the ending reveal. User interactivity is one of the greatest strengths of this medium, and SM was another step in a direction I personally find very intriguing.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Also, seeing this thread hover near the front page 5+ months after release warms my heart.... Goddamn it, I'm playing through it again :lol
It's certainly my favourite Wii game and in general one of the games I liked most over the last few years, so I'm happy people keep discussing it and more people start playing it.

mollipen

Okay, let me say this. I understand what the last couple of posts replying to me are saying. I get that that was the point of the game, and it's a point that I can completely appreciate.

My problem is that, for me at least, I felt that the game just totally failed at doing that. I have absolutely no problem playing from the perspective of
Harry through Cheryl
, and everything that was meant to entail. It's a great idea, except it was executed through a game that I felt was a complete mess. Had you kept that core idea, that storyline concept, and produced a much better game to support it, I'd back the idea 110%.

For me, the gameplay and the storyline are just too far apart from each other in what they need to be, which is why I guess I could accept SM more with what we were given if the storyline wasn't what it is. To go back to The Sixth Sense, or Wizard of Oz (as it was mentioned), those were tales where when the big reveal happened, what had come before that moment was well-crafted and supported that revelation. I simply didn't feel that in SM, which is why it does feel so much like a "what a twist!" situation to me.

So, I'm not arguing that the concept of what we were given here doesn't work: I'm arguing that it doesn't work in relation to SM as a game, at least for me.

I don't know. No matter what some people might think, I really wanted to like the game, and I'm still baffled by how different my opinion of it seems to be from some of you others. When I played through the game for a second time, I struggled to get through it, and I was just constantly reminded by how utterly un-enjoyable I found the game as a whole. I can appreciate the story, but couldn't get over just how awful I found the game itself.

For the podcast that I linked to before, my guest Steve was telling me how he loved Silent Hill 2 for the narrative but thought it was an utterly terrible game. For me, SH2 wasn't an amazing game, but I still really enjoyed it as a videogame and as a story. I can't enjoy SM as a videogame, and I think that helps to seriously ruin the elements that I may have really appreciated otherwise.

Top Bottom