• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

I thought where Shattered Memories succeeded in terms of graphics were the realistic animations

I mean, they were mocapped, but not obviously so like ToS2. They moved like real people for the most part.

Dascu

itsinmyveins said:
Spoiler:

I've just taken that nurse home and I'm supposed to go somewhere now. Haven't had time to play anymore yet since I just got home from work.
Explore the streets. There should be an entrance to a shopping mall nearby.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just realized I never posted here after finishing the game.
Awesome experience, I loved it from beginning to end.
I'll elaborate more later.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
There, finished the game! The nightmares got easier to deal with when I got more used to them, but one of the last ones was the most annyoing one as well since it essentially was a labyrinth where the map didn't help at all.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
itsinmyveins said:
There, finished the game! The nightmares got easier to deal with when I got more used to them, but one of the last ones was the most annyoing one as well since it essentially was a labyrinth where the map didn't help at all.
Pretty much. That was frustrating as heck.

For the labyrinth nightmare:
There's a trick to the last one. In the first part, look for the door with the light above it. For the 2nd part, go to the doors with ice around them. When you get further along, the ice will get larger.

Anyway, any thoughts on the ending? If you have any questions, feel free to ask, spoiler texted though :)

itsinmyveins

SlipperySlope said:
For the labyrinth nightmare:
There's a trick to the last one. In the first part, look for the door with the light above it. For the 2nd part, go to the doors with ice around them. When you get further along, the ice will get larger.

Anyway, any thoughts on the ending? If you have any questions, feel free to ask, spoiler texted though :)

I assumed there was some type of trick to it but never noticed the things you mention. I died once after having been chased for like five minutes through the same corridors over and over again. The next try I guess I got lucky and found the right way pretty fast.

As far as the ending goes I don't know if I have a lot of questions, really. I didn't realize that last twist until the focus shifted from Harry when he entered the house to the first person perspective. I'm more curious about the characters you meet and what they're supposed to say and how they are connected to this fantasy Cheryl had built up.

itsinmyveins said:
I assumed there was some type of trick to it but never noticed the things you mention. I died once after having been chased for like five minutes through the same corridors over and over again. The next try I guess I got lucky and found the right way pretty fast.

As far as the ending goes I don't know if I have a lot of questions, really. I didn't realize that last twist until the focus shifted from Harry when he entered the house to the first person perspective. I'm more curious about the characters you meet and what they're supposed to say and how they are connected to this fantasy Cheryl had built up.

About the other characters, I don't know. They seem to be characters that were real, given that you see them in the video clip in one of the endings. Perhaps family friends? I don't know. It seems Cheryl inserted people she knew into the delusion.

One thing I like about the game is that throughout the game, you don't realize how much you're learning about Cheryl. It never clicks until the end. You then realize that every thing you got, every picture you took, every echo message, was something in Cheryl's memory. They're all things that either happened to her, or to someone she knew.

It's not totally a fantasy you're traveling through. You're traveling through her memories based around a delusion that you're still alive. She added certain things like character interactions. Those are based on her mental condition though. Which is why the psych evaluations affect all character interactions. At least that's my take on it. There's different interpretations. If you found the ghost outside of the cinema in the mall, you'll notice that the ghost is Cheryl. It's a very bad memory of herself from her past (given the attached message). The girl on the swing set was also Cheryl when she was a kid, I think shortly after Harry died.

Actually, all ghosts except one are bad memories. The only ghost that's a good memory is the one with her dad in the amusement park. That seems to be the last good memory she has. The last time that she can remember where she was happy.

A few other ghosts are people she knew. Like the kid that drowned. Or the other kid that shot a deer (could be the same kid, not sure). That kid was probably a friend of hers.

Here's the part that made me think. By the end of the game, what do you know about Cheryl? Lots. What do you know about Harry? nothing. You know absolutely nothing about him except bare facts. He was married to Dahlia. He was Cheryl's father. Harry and Dahlia broke up. That's it. That's all you know about him. You don't really think about this during the game. The psych makes a point about this in the ending.

This post is too long, so I'll stop here.

itsinmyveins

I hardly saw any of the shadows because I didn't realize that you need to look for them and then take a photo. I only found the spots where you clearly hear that noise from the phone, which I thought were the same thing. So if I play through it again I suppose there are gonna be a whole bunch of shadows I didn't find the first time through.

itsinmyveins said:
I hardly saw any of the shadows because I didn't realize that you need to look for them and then take a photo. I only found the spots where you clearly hear that noise from the phone, which I thought were the same thing. So if I play through it again I suppose there are gonna be a whole bunch of shadows I didn't find the first time through.

Yeah, they're two totally different things. ghosts don't give off phone static. Some of the ghosts are hard to find. Honestly, you might want to consult a FAQ to find them all.

The attached messages to the ghosts are all important to the story and helped shape who Cheryl is. They're all vivid memories from her past, more so than the echo messages. There's 12 ghost messages in the whole game. (9 if you don't include the school ones that you have to get).

If you want to listen to the ghost messages without doing another play through, this site has almost every echo message and ghost message in the game (including all variations, audio, and pictures)

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_shattered_memories/messages_en.htm

The messages that affected me the most are the Problem Child ones. The ghost is the last message in that chain.

Tab0203

itsinmyveins said:
So, according to your post a lot of people are having troubles with a segment of the game and to you that's unbelievable because you only died three times? Great for you! ...
I specifically added "no skill required" to avoid this kind of response. Did you even read the whole post? I obviously meant the videos, mistakes and comments about controls, especially the last one. All I'm trying to say is you're either doing something wrong, or don't know how or when to use certain functions in the game (or a combination of the two).

I didn't even see your post until I posted mine.

itsinmyveins said:
Seriously, what the fuck? There's so much thought put into some of the things in this game yet that damn ice world is there. It's not fun, it's annoying and it's bad -- they should just have made those whole parts QTE instead. How am I supposed to be able to find my way when there's constantely four guys on my tail? How the hell am I supposed to get them off me when there are four guys hanging on me like I was made of glue -- nothing seems to happen no matter how much I waggle the controller?

itsinmyveins said:
And about the flares, can you throw them and if so then how?
SlipperySlope said:
You can't throw the flare, as far as I know. And, why would you? It's better to have the flare on you.

All the flare does is keep them off of you. If you walk up to one with the flare on, you'll see them shielding themselves. They cannot attack you when you are using the flare. So, why throw away your only protection?

The only downside to the flare is you can't bring up your phone. So you'll generally want to know where you want to go before lighting one.

Dropping the flare is another obvious one.

Youtube screen cap: http://i44.tinypic.com/21obnnp.jpg

1UP @ E3 'Silent Hill Shattered Memories' interview
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25161
(10:03) "There's a little bit of strategy here cause I can drop the flare and they won't be able to walk past that flare."

*edit* Here's the PS2 version with "unresponsive" controls:

2vm5yqb.gif

(turn down your volume)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgE1uVQDe2o#t=1m32s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgE1uVQDe2o#t=5m29s
Final nightmare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQCFYeZrew#t=6m34s

Part 6 is even funnier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhwJNUP1MtI#t=0m46s

He never uses the flare he's carrying around (ignores the hint at the bottom of the screen). He gets both timing and movement wrong, and complains about the controls: "What the fuck! These controls are terrible. ... Wow, this game is pathetic. I'm moving the fucking controller to fucking knock them off, and then, if the controller is just not responding ... get off - I see - see now that's better, isn't it?"

"OH WHAT? Where the hell am I?" He looks at the help screen that explains how to use the map, and ...never uses it. He doesn't even know you can knock things over with the nunchuk: "Fucking christ, when is this gonna end - What's this? I don't know what the hell that thing was in the corner there." (2:00)

It gets worse and worse. Once again, unbelievable.

By the way, why is there no cursor customization? How long would it take to implement?

itsinmyveins

Tab0203 said:
I specifically added "no skill required" to avoid this kind of response. Did you even read the whole post? I obviously meant the videos, mistakes and comments about controls, especially the last one. All I'm trying to say is you're either doing something wrong, or don't know how or when to use certain functions in the game (or a combination of the two).

I didn't even see your post until I posted mine.

You actually did quote an earlier post by me, although you didn't attach any name to it:

"Sure, that first time I had to flee from the enemies was a bit confusing since I just ran around and couldn't find my way out to the correct street"

That's me, along with those other quotes from GAF. I didn't blame the controls though, I was confused about where I was supposed to go. I did mention in my super whiny post later on that getting pinned down by four enemies made it impossible (for me, at least) to get away from them.

So my response was mainly about that, not your comments on those youtube-videos.

itsinmyveins said:
You actually did quote an earlier post by me, although you didn't attach any name to it:

"Sure, that first time I had to flee from the enemies was a bit confusing since I just ran around and couldn't find my way out to the correct street"

That's me, along with those other quotes from GAF. I didn't blame the controls though, I was confused about where I was supposed to go. I did mention in my super whiny post later on that getting pinned down by four enemies made it impossible (for me, at least) to get away from them.

So my response was mainly about that, not your comments on those youtube-videos.

When you get pinned down by any more than two enemies, you're pretty much fucked. So it's important to get the first one off of you as fast as you can.

Antagon

SlipperySlope said:
Anybody else playing the game for the first time?

I'm about half way through I guess on my first time, but haven't played it in the last couple of days. Probably going to finish it this weekend.

Zen

Banned
I think I'll pick this up again for my PSP (already have the Wii version as a gift), I really want to see how well it turned out (since apparently they did good), and I kind of want to support the game seeing as its sales aren't what it deserved.

_bluemoon

Just finished. Loved it. Probably don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. Oh, my profile at the end was so true it's scary. :lol

Sadist

Question about the several looks for Cybil:

Can someone help me with getting the "cleavage version" of her? I played the game two times now and started it for a third time but for the second time I got the "Tough cop" version". What should I do?

Sadist said:
Question about the several looks for Cybil:

Can someone help me with getting the "cleavage version" of her? I played the game two times now and started it for a third time but for the second time I got the "Tough cop" version". What should I do?
Answer everything pro-sex. Look at the bathroom graffiti about chicks. Check out pin-up calendars. When given the option which dress to look for the key in, choose the light blue cleavage-y one.

Sadist

Damn, I've tried two times now and I got friendly Cybill again :lol

Is this allready decided during the psych test? I believe there are a just two questions that influence the pro-sex side, the one about role-play and being unfaithfull. On the way to the diner, I looked at a pin-up calender, the grafitti in the men's room, a bikini in the clothing store, I chose the blue jacket but still I'll get friendly Cybill.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
SlipperySlope said:
When you get pinned down by any more than two enemies, you're pretty much fucked. So it's important to get the first one off of you as fast as you can.

that's not true at all. I died around 5 times on the first two nightmare sequences... after that I don't think I ever died for the rest of the game.

But referring to your post: I watched my brother play and he did the same thing. After two monsters jumped on him, he just gave up and sat there waiting for them to kill him. Normally two monsters are NOT going to kill you. You just have to keep doing the motions until they fall off.

I think another thing people don't realize: sometimes the monsters take TWO shakes to get them off you, other times just one. I think this messes up people into thinking that the controls are broken or something, but that's not the case. And really you have to just "give up" or have a ton of monsters tackle you in order to die. Most of the times you can even shake off three monsters off you and still be okay.

Adam Prime said:
that's not true at all. I died around 5 times on the first two nightmare sequences... after that I don't think I ever died for the rest of the game.

But referring to your post: I watched my brother play and he did the same thing. After two monsters jumped on him, he just gave up and sat there waiting for them to kill him. Normally two monsters are NOT going to kill you. You just have to keep doing the motions until they fall off.

I think another thing people don't realize: sometimes the monsters take TWO shakes to get them off you, other times just one. I think this messes up people into thinking that the controls are broken or something, but that's not the case. And really you have to just "give up" or have a ton of monsters tackle you in order to die. Most of the times you can even shake off three monsters off you and still be okay.

In my defense, I said "more than two", which would mean 3 or more. Once 3 get on me, most of the time it's over. I'll try to get them off of me, I never give up, but with 3 it's very hard.

But 2 is pretty easy to get off of you. Better do it quick though before that 3rd one gets on you :)

Celine

The game arrived friday but I played it only yesterday.
I finished it in one single session in about 7 hours that should spoke aloud on how much I enjoyed it.

Great controls implementation only hampered by weak physic during puzzle mode.
I liked the "escape" sequences.
They were thrilling and easy ( never died once I got how they work ) so I didn't encounter any frustration during my playthrough.
Controls also were responsive as expected so I really don't understand the complaints about them in this thread.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the final revelation but the trip to get there , especially from the school onward, was really gripping.

Recommended to anyone that want enjoy a story driven experience.

BTW is there a good plot analysis out there ?

Also forgot to mention I laughed at the Apple reference ( the bitten pear ).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Celine said:

If you can be bothered, treck through this thread :). A lot of us have applied many posts to disecting the story.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
emcee's posts are, as usual, the definitive plot analysis

Celine

ShockingAlberto said:
The final nightmare sequence is random every time

You have to gutcheck your way through it
I've got the impression that the correct choice was the door that produce the less "buzz" but maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT:
@EatChildren, REZ:
Now I'm reading the old post from the more recent to the less ones.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ShockingAlberto said:
The final nightmare sequence is random every time

You have to gutcheck your way through it
Celine said:
I've got the impression that the correct choice was the door that produce the less "buzz" but maybe I'm wrong.
No, unless you're talking about
out on the lake going for the light, the path of the last nightmare sequence is always through the doors with MORE ICE around them. As you progress, the correct door gets icier and icier until you find your proper path. It might be random when you initially jump into it, but the direction is ALWAYS discernible.

pakkit

Banned
Celine said:
Was this interview with Tomm Hulett already posted ?
Very interesting ...

http://site.video-game-central.com/...-my-daddy-revealing-shattered-memories-story/
Great read. As expected, there's a lot of "You decide the story" type answers here. I think that's why brandon's complaints about Lisa and Michelle's direct role in the story are a bit of a non-complaint, just like Mulholland Dr. you have a lot of elements that can mean a lot of things to different people. There is a central idea, yes, but there also all these small story threads that you can choose to explore and analyse.

I'm curious about the parallels between Silent Hill 1 and the reimagining.

Vortex566

Just finished this and overall I really enjoyed the game.

I would like to see the ability to fight the monsters. Even if I can not kill them them at least give me something to slow them down. Yes, I know you can "slow" them down, but I mean really slow them down.

I thought the ending was great. I have to say that I did not see it coming.

Celine

mantidor said:
Great read. I liked the bit about the monsters, but it didn't explain the jigsaw puzzle head monsters, why you get monsters like that? and are they really jigsaws or something else?, those type of monsters were almost abstract.
The monster design reflect the current profile you get so they probably used the jigsaw design for the "introverted type" to symbolize the closed and enigmatic nature.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Vortex566 said:
I would like to see the ability to fight the monsters. Even if I can not kill them them at least give me something to slow them down. Yes, I know you can "slow" them down, but I mean really slow them down.

I think Climax was really set on having zero combat.

Celine said:
The game arrived friday but I played it only yesterday.
I finished it in one single session in about 7 hours that should spoke aloud on how much I enjoyed it.

Great controls implementation only hampered by weak physic during puzzle mode.
I liked the "escape" sequences.
They were thrilling and easy ( never died once I got how they work ) so I didn't encounter any frustration during my playthrough.
Controls also were responsive as expected so I really don't understand the complaints about them in this thread.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the final revelation but the trip to get there , especially from the school onward, was really gripping.

Recommended to anyone that want enjoy a story driven experience.

Also forgot to mention I laughed at the Apple reference ( the bitten pear ).

Never saw the reference myself. The story in this game is really leagues apart from any other game this generation.

Celine said:
Was this interview with Tomm Hulett already posted ?
Very interesting ...

http://site.video-game-central.com/...-my-daddy-revealing-shattered-memories-story/

Oh snap (end game spoilers ahead)

From the interview: For example, in one Dahlia is clearly Harry’s wife, or past Harry’s wife, or something. In another, profile’s dialogue, she basically says ‘I know OF Cheryl,’ like someone he’s seeing on the side. There’s a little bit of ambiguity to things like that where you’re not quite sure what it means.

-----

Holy cow. I never thought of it that way. I took it for granted that Dahlia is Cheryl's mother. I was confused when I got the interaction where Dahlia says that she knows OF Cheryl, but didn't think into it that maybe in some instances Dahlia isn't Cheryl's mother. That's a total mind fuck.

I guess it explains why, in some endings where you see Cheryl leave the lighthouse and hug her mother, you don't clearly see who the mother is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sort of a side note, but the PSP port is actually surprisingly good. Is the PS2 port really bad?

RyuHayate

After reading reading all of the positive impressions and viewing a few of the videos linked ITT, I really have to check this one out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Finally got bored enough to give this a rent last night and holy crap why didn't I give this a try earlier? One of the best examples of an interactive narrative ever. I beat it and played through immediately again for a different ending.

Only one thing: who else thinks they should have ditched the nightmare sequences? They were really weak for me, and except for a slim few (the apartment one springs to mind, as well as the final one) they took it down a notch, made it more "gamey"

Dascu

SlipperySlope said:

From the interview: For example, in one Dahlia is clearly Harry’s wife, or past Harry’s wife, or something. In another, profile’s dialogue, she basically says ‘I know OF Cheryl,’ like someone he’s seeing on the side. There’s a little bit of ambiguity to things like that where you’re not quite sure what it means.

-----

Holy cow. I never thought of it that way. I took it for granted that Dahlia is Cheryl's mother. I was confused when I got the interaction where Dahlia says that she knows OF Cheryl, but didn't think into it that maybe in some instances Dahlia isn't Cheryl's mother. That's a total mind fuck.

I guess it explains why, in some endings where you see Cheryl leave the lighthouse and hug her mother, you don't clearly see who the mother is.
That's the line I got from Dahlia. I never really got the impression that Dahlia was Cheryl's real mother, but rather that Harry had cheated on his wife/Cheryl's mom with Dahlia, and later married her, making Dahlia Cheryl's stepmother. I was surprised to see everyone here talking about how Dahlia was her mother, whereas it wasn't the impression I got from the dialogue.

The_Technomancer said:
Finally got bored enough to give this a rent last night and holy crap why didn't I give this a try earlier? One of the best examples of an interactive narrative ever. I beat it and played through immediately again for a different ending.

Only one thing: who else thinks they should have ditched the nightmare sequences? They were really weak for me, and except for a slim few (the apartment one springs to mind, as well as the final one) they took it down a notch, made it more "gamey"

I think the thing is that the nightmare sequences really do work thematically. It makes sense that they happen and the fact that they happened makes the realizations you come to more interesting.

Maybe the gameplay wasn't the best there but I think the concept for them was good.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Sort of a side note, but the PSP port is actually surprisingly good. Is the PS2 port really bad?
I haven't played the PSP-port, but the PS2-version is alright. 16:9, no progressive scan though, and it doesn't work with that Xploder hd-tv disc. You can tell the puzzles are designed towards the Wii. I like the no-combat gameplay. As another commented, I think the game would have been better without the nightmare sequences.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The_Technomancer said:

I agree in some aspects but I think the nightmare zones make too much sense within the story to get rid of completely. I just wish they could found a way to make them even more seamless with the world.

Celine

SlipperySlope said:

-----

I like the "Dahlia is Cheryl" theory.
Wait there are endings where Cheryl hugs her mother?

Celine said:
I like the "Dahlia is Cheryl" theory.
Wait there are endings where Cheryl hugs her mother?

Yes. It's a sequence that you'll either get or not. It's not tied to the video changes, or the Harry meets Cheryl interaction. I consider it a 3rd ending alteration, and I have no idea whatsoever what triggers it. It seems I get it like 50% of my playthroughs.

Not many of the videos on YouTube have it.

Here's one that has it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-rVb8eIOYA&feature=related

Wish I knew what triggers the ending.

Edit - The look on Cheryl's face during that sequence is pretty heart breaking.

Here's another video with that clip in it, this one's higher quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7fGgWF5H0

You'll notice a difference between the two videos that makes it really REALLY hard for me to pinpoint what triggers the clip. The first one I posted was "good Harry". Where Harry was a good father. This second video is where Harry was a bad father.

So it's a totally different thing you do that triggers that clip it seems, something that doesn't seem to affect the other two ending variations.

If you get what I'm trying to say :)

Celine

SlipperySlope said:
Here's another video with that clip in it, this one's higher quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7fGgWF5H0

You'll notice a difference between the two videos that makes it really REALLY hard for me to pinpoint what triggers the clip. The first one I posted was "good Harry". Where Harry was a good father. This second video is where Harry was a bad father.

So it's a totally different thing you do that triggers that clip it seems, something that doesn't seem to affect the other two ending variations.

If you get what I'm trying to say :)
Woah
a total different reaction from Cheryl to Harry ( and a different vocal song too ).

Can't see much who the woman is.
Seems the blonde woman in the video to me but I'm not sure.

Skiesofwonder said:
I agree in some aspects but I think the nightmare zones make too much sense within the story to get rid of completely. I just wish they could found a way to make them even more seamless with the world.
Chase sequences shortcomings , IMO, are that they are too much set apart from the rest of the gameplay like you said and that they are basic as are the puzzles.
When you understand how they work, you can pass any of them without much trouble because they are always ( mostly ) the same .

EDIT:
and yes voice acting is really really good in this game.

Top Bottom