• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

RedHerring

Neo Member
SlipperySlope said:
All the messages you get on your 2nd play through will have more meaning now. Since now you know they're all connected to Cheryl in one form or fashion, whereas on playthrough #1 you thought they were all random stuff from people in the city. They're all experiences Cheryl directly lived through, or happened to somebody she knew.

The variations in the messages also can be quite different, depending on your choices with the psych. I've posted a link some time ago in this thread to nearly all of the messages in the game, including pictures and sound bits. I'll have to look up that link again sometime and post it again.

One major change is the girl that gets drugged in the woods. In some instances it looks like she survived and is most likely Cheryl. In other instances she is clearly dead, and probably somebody Cheryl knew, or maybe Cheryl was at the party and saw it happen. So your choices with the psych seem to determine whether or not it is Cheryl that gets drugged. I could be really off on this, this game has a lot of interpretations and who's to say what's right or wrong.

I didn't think anybody read that post :) You're the first to comment on it.

Here's the post again for anybody who doesn't want to go searching.

Read it and appreciated it! Definitely planning on starting a second playthrough when I next have access to my Wii.

Love as well the potential for interpretation the game allows too in the story and how unfixed it is, it's very refreshing.

So have I understood correctly (I'm not sure yet if I want to watch any of the endings I didn't get) that there is an ending you can get by being deliberately obtuse and contradictory in your behaviour and answers to the psychiatrist where Harry doesn't make it to the psychiatrist's office and Cheryl doesn't face him? I hope so because I find the idea of that level of freedom in a game absolutely fascinating.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
disappeared said:
Yeah, especially when
he starts to flip out on you (Cheryl) at the end.
He just sounded downright angry.
Totally agreed!
his final rant, when he just loses his patience, hurls the glass
... hell, the acting in that scene was better then most movies. Close to the perfect level of acting that I have in my head whenever I read, and thats saying something.

The
transition from his anger to sitting down suddenly and suddenly being kind and helpful
was perfect.

This thread gets bumped every now and then and I want to jump in and gush about how much I love it, but never did. But now I don't feel as timid.

I played through the game as my yearly scary game and am going through it a second time at a snails pace. But this time I'm seeing it less as a game and more as a really well done interactive movie. Good thing the story is better than your usual game narrative, and better than the mess that became the usual Silent Hill lore.

I hope another game like this comes out, whether it's a re-imagining of Silent Hill 2 (which also had a pretty good story) or something original. And if it has more game-like things I wouldn't mind, but if it's another well made interactive story then I'd be okay with that.

The Technomancer

Silver_DNA said:
This thread gets bumped every now and then and I want to jump in and gush about how much I love it, but never did. But now I don't feel as timid.

I played through the game as my yearly scary game and am going through it a second time at a snails pace. But this time I'm seeing it less as a game and more as a really well done interactive movie. Good thing the story is better than your usual game narrative, and better than the mess that became the usual Silent Hill lore.

I hope another game like this comes out, whether it's a re-imagining of Silent Hill 2 (which also had a pretty good story) or something original. And if it has more game-like things I wouldn't mind, but if it's another well made interactive story then I'd be okay with that.

This is one of very few games that I would actually call art. And its a perfect example of what the medium has to offer art, because it would not be nearly as effective as a non-interactive movie or book.
It doesn't really come together until the end, up until then it felt to me like a fun and intriguing if not fantastic adventure game, but when that ending hits, the fact that you have been Harry Mason through all of this, not just watching him, but connected with him...it makes the emotional impact of that final scene ten times as powerful.

Actually, this is probably the most invested and attached that I've ever been to a character.

Silver_DNA said:

Silent Hill 8 looks pretty promising. And if the teams' enthusiasm echoes that of the two guys who showed the game off at E3, we could be in for a good time.

RedHerring said:
Read it and appreciated it! Definitely planning on starting a second playthrough when I next have access to my Wii.

Love as well the potential for interpretation the game allows too in the story and how unfixed it is, it's very refreshing.

So have I understood correctly (I'm not sure yet if I want to watch any of the endings I didn't get) that there is an ending you can get by being deliberately obtuse and contradictory in your behaviour and answers to the psychiatrist where Harry doesn't make it to the psychiatrist's office and Cheryl doesn't face him? I hope so because I find the idea of that level of freedom in a game absolutely fascinating.

I won't give the details of how the ending plays out, but yes. It's called Hero Forever, and it's the one nobody really thinks about to try until they hear about it later. One tip about how to get it:

When the psych talks, stare at the lamp as much as possible. And as you said, contradict yourself as much as possible. If you want tips of how to get this, let me know. Basically, try to fuck with him as much as you can. Good luck on getting this ending. It's totally different than the other ones, and the most creative. I basically followed a FAQ step for step when I tried for it. Try to be creative and keep thinking "how can I fuck with this guy?".

SlipperySlope said:
I won't give the details of how the ending plays out, but yes. It's called Hero Forever, and it's the one nobody really thinks about to try until they hear about it later. One tip about how to get it:

When the psych talks, stare at the lamp as much as possible. And as you said, contradict yourself as much as possible. If you want tips of how to get this, let me know. Basically, try to fuck with him as much as you can. Good luck on getting this ending. It's totally different than the other ones, and the most creative. I basically followed a FAQ step for step when I tried for it. Try to be creative and keep thinking "how can I fuck with this guy?".

No fuckin' way.

I gotta scrounge the cash and pick the Wii version up. My PS2 copy went missing earlier this year. :(

The Technomancer

disappeared said:
No fuckin' way.

I gotta scrounge the cash and pick the Wii version up. My PS2 copy went missing earlier this year. :(
I hear ya. I gave it a rental a few months back with very few expectations about the game, cause I heard it was short. I've been meaning to grab a copy since then and do multiple playthroughs, but I never got around to it... :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SlipperySlope said:

I'm pretty sure I got that ending on my second playthrough. Its not that amazing in my opinion, with
Harry still making it to the psych and Cheryl just defending her imagery of him.

Unless there's another ending I'm missing.

The_Technomancer said:
This is one of very few games that I would actually call art. And its a perfect example of what the medium has to offer art, because it would not be nearly as effective as a non-interactive movie or book.
It doesn't really come together until the end, up until then it felt to me like a fun and intriguing if not fantastic adventure game, but when that ending hits, the fact that you have been Harry Mason through all of this, not just watching him, but connected with him...it makes the emotional impact of that final scene ten times as powerful.

Actually, this is probably the most invested and attached that I've ever been to a character.

One thing that's interesting about that.

Throughout the game, you learn virtually nothing about Harry. The psych talks about this at the end. "What's a girl to do? Deny that daddy died. Deny who daddy was. What 7 year old actually knows who their parents are anyway? So she obsesses and obsesses over this fantasy dad. Propping up her make believe with scraps. Scraps of a happy life that never was. Scraps of a father who never existed. Wake up!

You never knew him and you never will.".

The great thing about the story is you never even think about this until the end. All of the messages. All of the ghosts. They're all about Cheryl. The few that have her father were from before he died when she was young. She really only has a couple of memories of her father.

Yet those couple of memories and her loss have haunted her for 18 years. 18 years of hell.

The pain you feel after losing a loved one is very real. Also something I think we all can relate to. For me, there was a series of two deaths about 4 months apart, starting late 2000. Then another in 2002. I never really recovered from them.

And if you guys wanna know, the first was a 20 year old family friend who had a heart attack the night after her grandma passed away. The second was my uncle who suffered from MS. He didn't have children, but treated me and my siblings as his kids. The third was my grandma who we were taking care of for the last few years of her life. I'll never forget the look on my grandma's face when I walked down stairs and saw her barely breathing, mouth and eyes wide open, staring blankly into space. She had a heart attack about 15-20 minutes later just after she arrived at the hospital. Then another one later that night if I recall. That didn't kill her though. She hung on for a few weeks. It was kidney failure. We chose to stop artificially keeping her alive.

Ach, sorry to get off topic. This isn't about me :) But it is about how the game can relate to us. It's very personal in that regard. We can all understand what Cheryl is going through.

And this is why I love the game so much. It's probably my 2nd favorite game of all time.

EatChildren said:
I'm pretty sure I got that ending on my second playthrough. Its not that amazing in my opinion, with
Harry still making it to the psych and Cheryl just defending her imagery of him.

Unless there's another ending I'm missing.

Yeah, that's it.

Maybe I exaggerated it a little, but I liked the alternate take. Where imagination Harry is not frozen, but lives on. Totally ignoring the psych :) From one perspective, this is the happiest ending. From another, it's the worst ending (for Cheryl).

I've never played the other Silent Hills, so you guys may appreciate the UFO ending too.

dose

So, I'm after a new copy of this for the Wii. I live in the UK and want the US version but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere to import it. Anyone know of any way I can get hold of it?

I started this on Wii last night and got up to the
school.
So far I'm enjoying the experience, although it does have some pretty big flaws. I love the atmosphere that the game creates, it feels to me to be somewhere between Alan Wake and Resident Evil 4. Although I haven't got too far yet, I've already stumbled across some cool puzzles, such as
shaking the can to find which one has a key and turning it upside down etc.
It looks really good for a Wii game, as well, which makes trying to navigate the snow storm quite a harrowing experience. This is my first Silent Hill game, however it reminded me of all those screens and videos I saw of the original game where the fog completely blinded you (even if that was just a result of PS1's hardware limitation :lol )

The mechanic of just running away, however, I'm not sold on. Conceptually, I like the idea of a horror game where you can't fight and just have to flee, however I feel it's being held back by some technical restraints on the Wii. There's a weird stutter every time I run through a door, either a framerate drop or a quick stealth load, which really takes me out of the experience and I find the motion controls to be clunky when I have to throw the monsters off me. I can do the exact same gesture three times, but only have it register it once. I've played enough Wii games by now to know how to do these so I have have to assume it's the fault of the game. Already I'm not looking forward to the next nightmare section.

Despite that, I'm still really looking forward to going back to it tonight. I want to play it now, but it's one of those games that I'm sure is enhanced no end by playing it in pitch black darkness. :)

MYE

Foliorum Viridum said:
and I find the motion controls to be clunky when I have to throw the monsters off me.

I can do the exact same gesture three times, but only have it register it once.

Either you're doing it wrong or your controller isnt working properly.

Seriosuly, just thrust your remote into the opposite direction the Raw Shocks are grabbing you (as in, push them away).
Its very forgiving and worked pretty much everytime for me.

I think the timing takes a little getting used to. After the first couple of encounters you should find the rhythm of the motions and be sending those things flying pretty easily.

Also, the game doesn't just look great for a wii game, I think it looks great compared to a lot of titles on the PS3/360 too.

I don't know about that but there are a handful of really nice effects I've seen so far, though, like shining the touch on a mirror which highlighted all of the dust on it.

Hopefully you're right and the motion controls get better. :) I like them for everything else, the bit where
I had to move around the cop car and play with the locks
was awesome. I just wish that huge cursor wasn't always on the screen!

Woffls

holy shit I played this game recently and It's so mind-blowingly good in just about every respect. Played it on Wii, and it only came out like a month ago in the UK. Since then I've been trying to get as many people to play it as possible. I wont go into details now, because I intend to replay it at some point - I only rented it, for shame! - but it scared the hell out of me, the tension was ridiculous, and the end was incredible. The characters were all so good as well, and noticing what things were likely to be a result of how I was playing the game? This is honestly a staggeringly good video game.

Very disappointed to see the 78 metascore for this...

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't know about that but there are a handful of really nice effects I've seen so far, though, like shining the touch on a mirror which highlighted all of the dust on it.

Hopefully you're right and the motion controls get better. :) I like them for everything else, the bit where
I had to move around the cop car and play with the locks
was awesome. I just wish that huge cursor wasn't always on the screen!

Beaten it yet?

I'm still trying to get others to play the game. I have two people on my list that I want to play it.

Nah, I haven't gone back to it since that post. Mainly because I've started 3D Dot Game Heroes and Cryostasis, with the latter being a great game to play at night too. :lol

It will be completed shortly though, don't worry! :)

MechaX

I hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but I unexpectedly picked this up at the convincing of both my friend and the GameStop cashier. For the most part, I was originally wanting to get Deadly Premonition, but the cashier looks at me, looks down at the game, and looks back up at me and gives me a rather concerned "Are you sure?" It was humorous because I felt like I was in an RPG about to spring some treasure chest that was actually some super powerful boss encounter or something (that, and this is the second time a cashier has given me a crazy look for wanting to buy Deadly Premonition). But long story short, got Shattered Memories instead.

Now, I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. But is the game still worth playing despite how some one online already spoiled the twist ending for me?

kinggroin

Banned
MechaX said:
I hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but I unexpectedly picked this up at the convincing of both my friend and the GameStop cashier. For the most part, I was originally wanting to get Deadly Premonition, but the cashier looks at me, looks down at the game, and looks back up at me and gives me a rather concerned "Are you sure?" It was humorous because I felt like I was in an RPG about to spring some treasure chest that was actually some super powerful boss encounter or something (that, and this is the second time a cashier has given me a crazy look for wanting to buy Deadly Premonition). But long story short, got Shattered Memories instead.

Now, I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. But is the game still worth playing despite how some one online already spoiled the twist ending for me?

ouch. If you got it for a nice discounted price, sure. It's definitely a unique experience anyway; just that the twist really hits like a hammer when you go in blind.

MechaX

kinggroin said:
ouch. If you got it for a nice discounted price, sure. It's definitely a unique experience anyway; just that the twist really hits like a hammer when you go in blind.

If "nice and discounted" means "$34". Yikes, that really blows though that a bit part of the impact is seemingly ruined.

mantidor

MechaX said:

Knowing what happens in the end might allow you to don't feel as lost as some may feel in the first play through. I'd say is well worth the try, the twist actually makes most players to do a second run.

Dascu

MechaX said:

I realized the twist about halfway through the game and still enjoyed the story a lot. It's the execution that really nails it. You'll see that it's not a twist for the sake of a twist. Instead, it elevates the entire story (and even gameplay) experience to a higher level.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
MYE said:
Either you're doing it wrong or your controller isnt working properly.

Seriosuly, just thrust your remote into the opposite direction the Raw Shocks are grabbing you (as in, push them away).
Its very forgiving and worked pretty much everytime for me.

I think you have to move the nunchuck and the remote together to do those moves. It's not made very clear.

isny

napkin dispenser
Finally was able to pickup a copy. It's $19.99 brand new for the the Wii version at EB here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Wii version doesn't compromise and is as good as I've heard the PS2 version is =)

mollipen

MechaX said:

I know I'm the "OMG I HATE SHATTERED MEMORIES BLARG!!" person (or one of the major ones), but you made a tragic mistake there! Putting my renowned dislike for this game aside, it is quite a unique and interesting experience, but Deadly Premonition is just so much more lovable and charming of one.

At the very least, please don't let yourself get talked out of picking it up. Get it as well, and play them both.

mantidor

isny said:
Finally was able to pickup a copy. It's $19.99 brand new for the the Wii version at EB here in Canada.

I'm hoping the Wii version doesn't compromise and is as good as I've heard the PS2 version is =)

what? it's very well known the Wii was the primary development platform.

MechaX

shidoshi said:
I know I'm the "OMG I HATE SHATTERED MEMORIES BLARG!!" person (or one of the major ones), but you made a tragic mistake there! Putting my renowned dislike for this game aside, it is quite a unique and interesting experience, but Deadly Premonition is just so much more lovable and charming of one.

At the very least, please don't let yourself get talked out of picking it up. Get it as well, and play them both.

I was always interested in Deadly Premonition because of the fact that it's a "So-Bad-It's-Good" kind of movie in video game form Plus, I would love to play this game with some friends or/and while drinking. Unfortunately, unlike my college friends, my home friends are both a hassle to keep in line while drunk and don't really like laughing at bad movies/games like the folks at school. In essence, Deadly Premonition would have been worth every penny and more if I bought it before I graduated. But hey, third time's the charm.

Now concerning Shattered Memories here. Good God, people were not kidding when they said how short the game was. I mean sure, Silent Hill games have never really been all that long, but the other Silent Hill games at least had more in the way of wildly different endings and weapons and what-not. $35 for a 6 hour one-sitting game with little replay value doesn't cut it in my eyes these days.

However, I did think that Shattered Memories was a really good experience even despite its length and despite that I came in already knowing the big ending twist (If you're thinking about getting this game, for the love of God, don't spoil yourself on the plot details. I still liked the story, but it would have been 100x better if I came in completely blind). Little touches like the wiimote speaker and phone mechanics always make the experience more involving for me (in case point, the wiimote speaker touches in Trauma Team is another example where they might be minor, but they really immerse you in the game). Unlike the other Silent Hill games, I felt that it put an emphasis more on the psychological aspect of the game as opposed to the horror aspect without really balancing the two (the environments are creepy, empty, and love to screw around with you a bit, but they're never as creepy as Silent Hill 3's rust dark world for instance).

Story-wise, I felt pretty involved as I was still a bit confused to how to connect the dots even despite knowing the twist.
With all the phone convos and other stuff taken into consideration, I really felt bad for Cheryl, who has had an extremely shitty life after Harry's death. Little things like her implied history of shoplifting and her arrest mugshot, the hidden pictures of her with her teacher, and the shower picture of her really emphasize that Cheryl most likely had an extremely, extremely shitty high school time even when not counting the fact that she never really refused to accept her father's death.

The ending was quite powerful, but
it kinda sucks that outside of the 50 second clip that shows what kind of father Harry was, the endings are for the most part the same, which really hurts the replay value. Plus, people like Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame and a few others did note that even despite making all of the wrong decisions the second time around, the ending still turned out to be the same.
With that said, this game does have the best
UFO
ending in the entire series.

Now the actual gameplay and controls... eh... yeah, Silent Hill always had shit combat mechanics, but I still feel like they kinda missed the mark with the chase scenes in this game. Since your map is pretty useless in the frozen sections, you're usually just running through doors at random until you get to the destination or you're overwhelmed (or in a third case, run through a door before the next room finished loading and fall into a black game-killing abyss). Having a small TV also kinda sucks, since most of the motion movements require you to make pretty large motions usually resulting in your reticule moving off screen and Harry running in the wrong direction. Enemy variety is also kind of lacking, as you only get two types of enemies that try to hug you to death. But I'm not too concerned about the enemy variety, as you can have a single enemy excel in chase scenes if you actually design them well (off the top of my head, the Dahaka segments were the best part of Prince of Persia Warrior Within).

Music's fantastic as always. The next SH game is not going to be the same at all without this composer.

But yeah, ended up returning it to the store after finishing it and picked up Bayonetta for the same price (Hopefully this game will hit the mark; I got kinda burned by DMC4 and really burned by Ninja Gaiden 2). It's a good game, don't get me wrong. But $30 might be a bit too steep for it. It's a fantastic rental, though, and if you can get it for cheap, go for it.

mantidor

MechaX said:
But yeah, ended up returning it to the store after finishing it and picked up Bayonetta for the same price (Hopefully this game will hit the mark; I got kinda burned by DMC4 and really burned by Ninja Gaiden 2). It's a good game, don't get me wrong. But $30 might be a bit too step for it. It's a fantastic rental, though, and if you can get it for cheap, go for it.

nooo why you returned it? :( The game's replay value doesn't lie in the endings, it lies in the whole game, the different clothing, the different personalities from Dahlia, the cop etc, also every single message has at least three different variations. The dialogs can change as well. The experience can be different for each playthrough, even if you get the same ending.

I guess that in the overall story arc it just gives you more details but doesn't radically change what happened, and the more you play the more you see how miserable Cheryl's life has been, which isn't something to look forward to, but still. There's fun left in seeing how much different variations are in the game. At least for me

MechaX

mantidor said:
nooo why you returned it? :( The game's replay value doesn't lie in the endings, it lies in the whole game, the different clothing, the different personalities from Dahlia, the cop etc, also every single message has at least three different variations. The dialogs can change as well. The experience can be different for each playthrough, even if you get the same ending.

I guess that in the overall story arc it just gives you more details but doesn't radically change what happened, and the more you play the more you see how miserable Cheryl's life has been, which isn't something to look forward to, but still. There's fun left in seeing how much different variations are in the game. At least for me

I returned it because I probably won't be able to get another game until next month and I needed something to last at least half of that time. Well, that, and Bayonetta just happened to be at the exact same price (Alan Wake too, but buying this game was an impulse moment because I was in the mood for a survival horror game when I got it but not necessarily right now). More of a coincidence, really.

But despite the more variable stuff in the game (I don't really care too much for the costume changes and I thought Dahila and Cybil's personalities were pretty perfect for my playthrough, but the different messages does sound pretty unique), I wasn't really feeling up to another playthrough of the game anytime soon. And if I was, it would have just been another day or so extra (especially since I have loads of free time until school starts after leaving one of two of my current jobs). The game does a really good job of keeping you glued in that "Just five more minutes" kind of mentality, but the length still works aganist it even then. Even if I finished the game three times, I still would have until Tuesday to return it and even then, I probably would still feel like I've done all I've wanted to.

If the price ever drops again or if I feel in the mood to replay the game, I'll definitely pick it back up because I did like the game. But for now, it's just too fresh in my mind to do another playthrough for awhile.

mantidor said:

I agree. It also seems he missed a few things, like a few ghosts.

Which help to flesh out the story.

In particular, he shifts from her shoplifting to her mugshot, which makes it seem that he missed the ghost outside the cinema.

That ghost message is the most haunting one of the entire game, IMO.

But since he already returned it, I guess I'll just say what that ghost message is.

The other messages in this sequence talk about her shoplifting. Another talks about Malcolm following her, seeing her steal stuff. He even contemplates on whether or not he should arrest her, because he feels sorry for her. He can tell by the look in her eyes, she's not like the typical shoplifter.

Anyway, the ghost message that finishes this sequence that I think he missed tells of how Malcolm approached Cheryl. Cheryl lashed out and stabbed Malcolm. The message is of another security guard as he's calling 911. He describes what happened, and who did it.

In one of the message variations, he says after asked where the assailant is, "She's just sitting on the bench. Staring into space..."

The mugshot was actually for murder, not shoplifting.

That's the most emotional part of the entire game for me.

So the ghost on the bench is Cheryl, shortly after the murder.

Bizzyb

Banned
I bought this game when it first came out but I just now beat it...wow

That was a HUGE twist for me that came out of left field. I honestly never saw it coming but looking back it makes sense. I actually thought Harry was getting younger or something as he progressed cause he lost is glasses and then ended up in a Hawaiian shirt looking younger. It never occurred to me he was wearing the same short from the beginning

So I just have one question, was Dahlia the girl Harry was cheating on with his wife? Or was that what his wife looked like when they were younger? I'm confused because the "older" Dahlia looked Fugly but Harry's Wife looked different.

Also, why was Harry able to interact with Cybil and the others?? Were they all ghosts?

So I just started what has to be my 5th playthrough,(Love this game!:D) and I've seen everything but all the different character variations.
I haven't seen the plain brown haired Dahlia, or the plain Michelle. What are the requirements to get their alternates? Does Lisa have any other alternates?

Mr_Zombie

Bizzyb said:
So I just have one question, was Dahlia the girl Harry was cheating on with his wife? Or was that what his wife looked like when they were younger? I'm confused because the "older" Dahlia looked Fugly but Harry's Wife looked different.

Yes, that was his wife.
However, because all those things happens in Cheryl's mind, she was a twisted evil version of real Dahlia. Notice how Kauffman in his ending speech even says "she's not the monster you make her out to be". Also, notice that Dalhia suddenly appears in the bar after Michelle mentions Harry's wife.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I had an interesting conversation with some gaffers two nights ago about this game. I've seemed to notice that people who look at this game as it's own independent game, instead of looking at it as the NEXT Silent Hill, seem to enjoy it more. As in Metroid Prime made a drastic change in game play that was so important for the Metroid series, Shattered Memories made a drastic change in the way it presented it's atmosphere and scares that is so important for the Silent Hill series, which I have noticed that the Die hard of the Die hard fans of these series are not cool with. Honestly, I completely understand that. If Street Fighter 5 became a badass first person motion control-focused game, I would have some problems with that even if it was amazing, and hell I actually like motion controls! If your going to make those dramatic changes, I would rather you tie it to a new IP instead of changing what I have been loving for over 20 years know. But you know..... money money money.

So if I think you look at Shattered Memories as it's OWN entry and a re-imagining of a beloved series, I believe some doubters would be able to see why some of us love this game SO much. Shattered Memories on it's own is IMO one of the greatest video games of this generation. While it has some problems (mostly gameplay related), the way it so uniquely and brilliant handles telling a story to the gamer is literally unmatched imo and it ten times over makes up for any small quibbles I have for the game.

I hope some of the Die Hard Silent Hill fans can one day replay SM and wipe away all that Silent Hill cloudiness and view SM in a clear view. Because I gotta tell you.... the view on this side of fence is pretty amazing. :D

Skiesofwonder said:
I had an interesting conversation with some gaffers two nights ago about this game. I've seemed to notice that people who look at this game as it's own independent game, instead of looking at it as the NEXT Silent Hill, seem to enjoy it more. As in Metroid Prime made a drastic change in game play that was so important for the Metroid series, Shattered Memories made a drastic change in the way it presented it's atmosphere and scares that is so important for the Silent Hill series, which I have noticed that the Die hard of the Die hard fans of these series are not cool with. Honestly, I completely understand that. If Street Fighter 5 became a badass first person motion control-focused game, I would have some problems with that even if it was amazing, and hell I actually like motion controls! If your going to make those dramatic changes, I would rather you tie it to a new IP instead of changing what I have been loving for over 20 years know. But you know..... money money money.

So if I think you look at Shattered Memories as it's OWN entry and a re-imagining of a beloved series, I believe some doubters would be able to see why some of us love this game SO much. Shattered Memories on it's own is IMO one of the greatest video games of this generation. While it has some problems (mostly gameplay related), the way it so uniquely and brilliant handles telling a story to the gamer is literally unmatched imo and it ten times over makes up for any small quibbles I have for the game.

I hope some of the Die Hard Silent Hill fans can one day replay SM and wipe away all that Silent Hill cloudiness and view SM in a clear view. Because I gotta tell you.... the view on this side of fence is pretty amazing. :D

That was at your party? Man I would have loved to jump in and chat about it. Goddamn living in Canada... grumble grumble.

But yeah, Shattered Memories is going to be one of those games where people will dig it up 5-10 years from now and say, holy shit why didn't I play this earlier!?

disappeared said:
That was at your party? Man I would have loved to jump in and chat about it. Goddamn living in Canada... grumble grumble.

But yeah, Shattered Memories is going to be one of those games where people will dig it up 5-10 years from now and say, holy shit why didn't I play this earlier!?

I think so too. And it's unfortunate.

mollipen

Skiesofwonder said:
I had an interesting conversation with some gaffers two nights ago about this game.

I think that was less a "conversation" about Shattered Memories and more of a "shidoshi argues with five (six?) SM fans while trying to be polite enough in doing so to not get pushed over the balcony".

shidoshi said:
I think that was less a "conversation" about Shattered Memories and more of a "shidoshi argues with five (six?) SM fans while trying to be polite enough in doing so to not get pushed over the balcony".

You don't need to hold yourself back. Dissenting opinion is good.

Amir0x

Banned
shidoshi said:

I'd be there fighting the good fight with you, but I lost interest in the debate after the bulk of SM fans primary reason for dissing the old SH games was some sort of shit against the clunky combat and relatively awkward gameplay, while heralding the near endless shitty gameplay features of SM. In service to some "standard" of gaming storytelling, which in of itself wasn't even remotely good! But I guess game standards are pretty low. People were saying Heavy Rain had a good story too, but I realized back then the standard for "good story" in game meant "about the level of a $1.99 K-Mart bargain aisle romance/ero novel."

Top Bottom