• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

MiniDitka

isny said:
True, but the PS2 controller is just so much more natural <3
Having played both versions Id say no. Unless you act like a total spaz the motion works fine for shaking off the creatures and the pointer is superior to the dual sticks for controlling the character/flashlight. They did a nice job on the PS2 version but if you have a choice the Wii is the way to go. This thread reminds me I still need to finish editing the side by side walkthrough I did with both versions.

Amir0x said:
I'd be there fighting the good fight with you, but I lost interest in the debate after the bulk of SM fans primary reason for dissing the old SH games was some sort of shit against the clunky combat and relatively awkward gameplay, while heralding the near endless shitty gameplay features of SM. In service to some "standard" of gaming storytelling, which in of itself wasn't even remotely good! But I guess game standards are pretty low. People were saying Heavy Rain had a good story too, but I realized back then the standard for "good story" in game meant "about the level of a $1.99 K-Mart bargain aisle romance/ero novel."

IMO the story in SM is better than any movie I've ever seen.
It's very introspective and tells a story of a personal plight to a level that I have never seen in a movie. As a result I connected to Cheryl more than any character from any movie. She feels more real than any movie character.

And I didn't see much dissing of the old SH games in this thread. The most I've read is people complaining about certain aspects of the old games, IE the combat. I'll never make those comments though because I've never played the old ones other than the first 10 minutes or so of the first SH (got part way through the school). Since I don't have a basis of comparison, I've never compared this game to the others.

And very few people have defended the chase sequences in SM. They're the low point in the game in just about everybody's eyes. The main argument is that the high points of the rest of the game overshadow the chase sequences.

jesus christ the hatred is strong in you, Amir0x. :lol

you're like one of those bar regulars that constantly rips on the service, but you just keep coming back week after week.

*serves Ami a drink*

Amir0x

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
IMO the story in SM is better than any movie I've ever seen.

ahahhahahahahahahHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaha

oh no this is why before I stopped these discussions

*takes his drink and leaves*

Amir0x

Banned
you don't want me to answer that, SlipperSlope. I am telling you for the good and honest quality of this thread that my input is not going to change anything for someone who would believe something like that.

If I answer, I'd just be brutally honest and would hurt people's feelings. There's no accounting for an opinion that fucking insane, that's just the truth. Such an opinion is the definition of irrationality and is where things start becoming like discussing with a religious zealot or something.

Amir0x said:
you don't want me to answer that, SlipperSlope. I am telling you for the good and honest quality of this thread that my input is not going to change anything for someone who would believe something like that.

If I answer, I'd just be brutally honest and would hurt people's feelings. There's no accounting for an opinion that fucking insane, that's just the truth. Such an opinion is the definition of irrationality and is where things start becoming like discussing with a religious zealot or something.

I'm curious. Just a name. No need to compare the two. I'm just curious about what movie you like. If I haven't seen it I'll give it a watch.

Woffls

I don't think it's fair to compare the story in SM with novels or films. There's so much in the story telling that is lost when you try to translate it to a standard format, and that you can only experience as a DIRECT result of interaction. It's the same reason Heavy Rain succeeds, but in SM it's shit scary and much less obvious.

If I were to make the argument that SlipperySlope did, I'd say it was because of how the game plays you that makes it a great story. Obviously it's a VERY simplistic story, but the experience is really in the detail, and it's a very personal experience.

The last point sort of negates any discussion over it - as it usually does where subjectivity is concerned - but for some, this will be one of the best stories they've ever immersed themselves in.

Really I just want to talk about this game, and I hope someone else thinks to themselves "Hey, that Silent Hill thread is back again... hmm"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
shidoshi said:
I think that was less a "conversation" about Shattered Memories and more of a "shidoshi argues with five (six?) SM fans while trying to be polite enough in doing so to not get pushed over the balcony".

Drat. Those five Shattered Memories fans really dropped the ball!

I loved SM and I enjoy discussing it, but every time I see Silent Hill in a thread title on the main page I instantly think some new info/screens from the VATRA SH have been released. :/

a GameInformer cover story would be nice. :D

Boney

Banned
It's not an amazingly fulfilled story, but the way it's told via photographs and the audio files, it's very videogamey and impossible to move over to another medium. It's a fun story, but it could use more interactive elements to the chasing scenes and stuff. It's a good acomplishment though.

Boney said:
It's not an amazingly fulfilled story, but the way it's told via photographs and the audio files, it's very videogamey and impossible to move over to another medium. It's a fun story, but it could use more interactive elements to the chasing scenes and stuff. It's a good acomplishment though.

I'd love to see CLIMAX expand on that if they get a chance. I just hope they get another crack at it.

Amir0x

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
I'm curious. Just a name. No need to compare the two. I'm just curious about what movie you like. If I haven't seen it I'll give it a watch.

Come on SlipperySlope, lists cannot alter an opinion like yours. I mean there's something out there for everyone and apparently this game connected to some central level of your brain that it simply doesn't for most people. I mean, yours goes so far beyond the zealotry of even the most passionate Shattered Memories fan after that comment that you are simply a unique case that cannot be discussed with in any rational manner for this particular subject.

I mean every single David Lynch movie alone has a better story than SM, and SM takes heavy inspiration from those films!

Amir0x said:
Come on SlipperySlope, lists cannot alter an opinion like yours. I mean there's something out there for everyone and apparently this game connected to some central level of your brain that it simply doesn't for most people. I mean, yours goes so far beyond the zealotry of even the most passionate Shattered Memories fan after that comment that you are simply a unique case that cannot be discussed with in any rational manner for this particular subject.

I mean every single David Lynch movie alone has a better story than SM, and SM takes heavy inspiration from those films!

wasn't DUNE the last Lynch film that actually had a real, coherent story? *BADOOSH!*

Joking. I love Lynch's work.

Amir0x said:

I haven't seen any of his movies. Which one do you recommend?

Amir0x

Banned
SlipperySlope said:
I haven't seen any of his movies. Which one do you recommend?

Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man, Inland Empire and Blue Velvet to get you started.

As a Shattered Memories fan, at the very least you will appreciate knowing where some of its most major influences come from.

TheJollyCorner said:
wasn't DUNE the last Lynch film that actually had a real, coherent story? *BADOOSH!*

Joking. I love Lynch's work.

Oh, I didn't see Dune in the list. I was watching that while high as fuck one time about 10 years ago.

Had no idea what was going on. I'll give it another watch.

The Elephant Man is phenomenal. I think John Hurt's performance in that is probably one of my favorites of all time.

To expand on Amir0x's list: ERASERHEAD. Really, really bizarre. *edit- doh! missed you up there, brando! ;)*

You will then be ready to enter TWIN PEAKS. :D

Amir0x

Banned
well this discussion apparently is about to get someone to experience David Lynch movies for the first time and so the existence of Shattered Memories has been deemed to have value now :D

What makes it work is that it's not really a horror-driven track, but it's so weird and surreal and when you combine that with the fact that it's in Silent Hill, I think it causes it to adopt a very creepy vibe.

Both tracks, I mean.

AColdDay

Just finished this game and started reading through this thread. Some asshole on some other messegeboard kind of spoiled the ending for me, but I didn't know all the details so while I lost some of the impact, experiencing the twist was still very much worth it.

The story and atmosphere are the only things I will take away from this game, because the actual gameplay was kind of lacking, and I'm pretty soft on my judgement of games (come on guys, Too Human wasn't THAT bad!). The chase sequences needed something else to make them engaging, perhaps different methods of completion besides just running haphazardly around like a jackass. I dreaded the chases for reasons entirely unrelated to fear.

I normally dismiss his reviews, but Yahtzee made a good point when he said that the game was a Silent Hill game that wasn't scary. I felt feeling of dread when I would first hear the static come out of the remote, but by the end of the game, it had simply become a gameplay mechanic, rather than an instrument of fear.

All in all, I am glad I experienced it, despite my gripes, as I think it is a pretty good example of the type of narrative that videogames excel at, and I hope it is remembered as a good story trapped in a flawed game.

jred250 said:
Just finished this game and started reading through this thread. Some asshole on some other messegeboard kind of spoiled the ending for me, but I didn't know all the details so while I lost some of the impact, experiencing the twist was still very much worth it.

The story and atmosphere are the only things I will take away from this game, because the actual gameplay was kind of lacking, and I'm pretty soft on my judgement of games (come on guys, Too Human wasn't THAT bad!). The chase sequences needed something else to make them engaging, perhaps different methods of completion besides just running haphazardly around like a jackass. I dreaded the chases for reasons entirely unrelated to fear.

I normally dismiss his reviews, but Yahtzee made a good point when he said that the game was a Silent Hill game that wasn't scary. I felt feeling of dread when I would first hear the static come out of the remote, but by the end of the game, it had simply become a gameplay mechanic, rather than an instrument of fear.

All in all, I am glad I experienced it, despite my gripes, as I think it is a pretty good example of the type of narrative that videogames excel at, and I hope it is remembered as a good story trapped in a flawed game.

Sucks that you had the ending spoiled. The chase sequences definitely needed work.

Finally went back and finished this. Overall, it's a mixed bag. Half of it is great, half of it is pretty bad.

I really enjoyed the story. It was quite a mindfuck, but an entertaining one. I feel that the mystery was strong enough to keep me motivated to keep playing. The exploration and puzzles were really great, too - not only were most of the locations genuinely creepy, but the puzzles made me think and investigate the area around me. The creepiness of the voicemails wore off by the end of the game, however in the earliest chapters I thought they were really well done. There were dozens of really unique ways of using the motion controls too, which is seldom something that I can say about a Wii game.

If the game was all exploring the desolate town and solving puzzles I'd love it, however the chase sequences were frustrating, boring and, in some instances, poorly thought out. Trying to look at a map when these creatures are chasing you is just infuriating. I understand they were going for tension, but it's not fun when I feel lost, stop to check the map and get pounced by 4 creatures, thus getting killed. Nor is it fun to have on your back, use the correct motion, and yet have it fail to work for 4 or 5 times. I really do respect the concept of being unable to fight, it was a good idea, but poorly done.

A solid 6/10 for me probably. If it wasn't for the chase sequences it would've been a much better experience. It's a compliment to the rest of the game that my overall view of the game isn't lower, because I really did hate the chase sequences.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Finally went back and finished this. Overall, it's a mixed bag. Half of it is great, half of it is pretty bad.

I really enjoyed the story. It was quite a mindfuck, but an entertaining one. I feel that the mystery was strong enough to keep me motivated to keep playing. The exploration and puzzles were really great, too - not only were most of the locations genuinely creepy, but the puzzles made me think and investigate the area around me. The creepiness of the voicemails wore off by the end of the game, however in the earliest chapters I thought they were really well done. There were dozens of really unique ways of using the motion controls too, which is seldom something that I can say about a Wii game.

If the game was all exploring the desolate town and solving puzzles I'd love it, however the chase sequences were frustrating, boring and, in some instances, poorly thought out. Trying to look at a map when these creatures are chasing you is just infuriating. I understand they were going for tension, but it's not fun when I feel lost, stop to check the map and get pounced by 4 creatures, thus getting killed. Nor is it fun to have on your back, use the correct motion, and yet have it fail to work for 4 or 5 times. I really do respect the concept of being unable to fight, it was a good idea, but poorly done.

A solid 6/10 for me probably. If it wasn't for the chase sequences it would've been a much better experience. It's a compliment to the rest of the game that my overall view of the game isn't lower, because I really did hate the chase sequences.

For the chase sequences, if you pull up the map to full-screen, the game is paused. You can then plot your route to your heart's content.

The last maze chase sequence also has a trick. There's no map, but if you always pick the door with ice around it, that is the correct door. The ice around the correct doors will get bigger and bigger as you near the end of the sequence.

Was I a retard and missed that, or does the game never tell you? All it says, that I recall, is to hit left on the d-pad to view the map.

If it did tell me, I'll admit to being an idiot. However, although that would've made it slightly easier, I still think they're poorly designed and no fun.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Was I a retard and missed that, or does the game never tell you? All it says, that I recall, is to hit left on the d-pad to view the map.

If it did tell me, I'll admit to being an idiot. However, although that would've made it slightly easier, I still think they're poorly designed and no fun.

Honestly if the game just said "bringing up the map pauses the action" that would solve a lot of people's problems. The first 25% of the game I was frustrated as hell thinking there was no proper chance of safety to bring it up!

Bizzyb

Banned
So, I just realized what the "Shattered Memories" in the title means

and I beat the game last week

:lol

Oh Shit, I think I belong on the Short Yellow Bus

Bizzyb said:
So, I just realized what the "Shattered Memories" in the title means

and I beat the game last week

:lol

Oh Shit, I think I belong on the Short Yellow Bus

I didn't get it either until a while later.

It's actually an ending spoiler, in hindsight. But nobody figures it out until they see the ending. Pretty clever.

Wikzo

Just finished the game today, my first Silent Hill game ever, and I really enjoyed it.

I played it all through with a good friend. It was fun to analyze the story and try guessing what was going on. Unlike most games it has a great deal of symbolic items that you can interpret in your own way, since the narrative style is rather implicit. The game really portrays the human mind in a very unique way, showing how games as an interactive medium can tell stories like no other.

Best end/twist since BioShock. The game also reminded me of Fight Club.

Do you have any similar games to recommend? I am kind of hooked on this genre of videogames right now :p

Kevtones

Bebpo and I were the initial catalysts of the shidoshi cornering. I was admittedly drunk but no balcony threats were made. The only thing shidoshi was a victim of was having the wrong opinion...

Seriously though, speaking with shidoshi in person helped me understand his position better and I think at this point it's safe to say we'll agree to disagree. Also, thank goodness for Bebpo because I was not at my best that night :lol

brandonh83 said:
I recommend Eraserhead. hah, not really, Lynch himself doesn't even know what's going on in that fucker.

What are you talking about? Eraserhead is easily one of his more straight-forward films.

Mr_Zombie

I Push Fat Kids said:
What are you talking about? Eraserhead is easily one of his more straight-forward films.

Oh God, tell me you're joking. I've watched Eraserhead and even though I think I got the overall idea of what the movie was about (with the emphasis on "think"), there were so many strange things (the singing "chipmunk" lady, the whole eraserhead theme) I didn't understand :( And I was looking forward to watch Lynch's other movies.

Kevtones

Mr_Zombie said:
Oh God, tell me you're joking. I've watched Eraserhead and even though I think I got the overall idea of what the movie was about (with the emphasis on "think"), there were so many strange things (the singing "chipmunk" lady, the whole eraserhead theme) I didn't understand :( And I was looking forward to watch Lynch's other movies.

The imagery is way out there and probably his weirdest but the themes and stuff are more easily recognizable I think... Might just be me.

Mr_Zombie said:
he's joking.

only Lost Highway really comes close in terms of abstract WTFness.

some people who are stupid say Mullholland Drive is in the same ballpark, but they just haven't figured it out yet.

Shattered Memories still owns though.

plagiarize said:
he's joking.

only Lost Highway really comes close in terms of abstract WTFness.

some people who are stupid say Mullholland Drive is in the same ballpark, but they just haven't figured it out yet.

Shattered Memories still owns though.

I still need to watch some of his movies.

Bumping because I just got this recently and beat it today. It...was a good game I guess. Some people made it seem like it was the second coming of Jesus though. I thought the lack of combat was terrible, or at least the way it was done. Running at full speed and throwing off the enemies is kind of nerve-wracking the first time you do it, but for the rest of the game it's just fucking annoying. I loved being grabbed right as I'm trying to go through a door. And that happens a lot.
I didn't care much for the ending either, it basically means either this game is cannon or the original Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 are cannon. And since I prefer those two I'm gonna say those are the cannon ones. Which basically makes the entire game pointless for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
rainking187 said:
I didn't care much for the ending either, it basically means either this game is cannon or the original Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 are cannon. And since I prefer those two I'm gonna say those are the cannon ones. Which basically makes the entire game pointless for me.

Then you went in with the wrong attitude, as it was always since the beginning billed as a re-imagining of the first Silent Hill. Trying to tie it in to the overall Silent Hill law, while attempted by some, in my opinion over complicates the story and deviates from what the project was always intended to be.

You shouldn't be trying to slot it in anywhere and instead judging the story on its own.

MYE

rainking187 said:

Thats like, the worst possible way to approach this game's story. Appretiate it for what it is,
not how much it messes up the "cannon" or fan theories

Besides, this one has a better story and more believable characters than either of those other games you mentioned. By far.

Regarding the chase sequences, yeah its not for everybody. I personally liked the feeling of being chased by something i cant kill.

edit: Goddammit EatChildren

Top Bottom