• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madrin

Did Joe Rogan really come out in an episode? Had some MMA bros tell me so.

In last night's episode you hear his voice commentating on a UFC fight, but you don't actually see him.

And yeah, great episode. I'm glad because I thought the previous two episodes were some of the worst in the series.

Exactly. It's the same stuff in a different season. That's why it has gotten old to me. Sure the whole how are they going to get out of this situation thing is interesting for a while, but when it is basically every episode it gets tiring. I understand that the show is about a tech startup and how difficult it is to be successful, but not every situation needs to go bad. Every time it looks like they might catch a break, something goes wrong. Give them a few more ups instead of all downs and the show becomes more compelling.

Well to be fair, everything goes wrong for everyone. Nucleus turned out to be shit and then AA got called a double asshole.

A+ episode

Actually I would give it a Double A

Maybe even a triple A

2enX3LX.jpg

only halfway throguh reading this and im dead. wow holy shit.

Baki

Exactly. It's the same stuff in a different season. That's why it has gotten old to me. Sure the whole how are they going to get out of this situation thing is interesting for a while, but when it is basically every episode it gets tiring. I understand that the show is about a tech startup and how difficult it is to be successful, but not every situation needs to go bad. Every time it looks like they might catch a break, something goes wrong. Give them a few more ups instead of all downs and the show becomes more compelling.

Welcome to the life of a startup.

trinest

Am I the only one which wants them to have a few wins instead of playing on the comedy of failure?

Seriously their business should like not exist.

Shaneus

ahahahahaha is there a law suit coming?
Oh shit, could there be an actual valid lawsuit from PP to
End Frame
? It seems feasible, given what Hooli were trying to do to PP. Never thought of that.

I'm sorry but there is no way a bunch of computer nerds don't know about SWOT, literally ruined the entire episode for me.
What got me more was a few episodes ago, how Dinesh and Gilfoyle didn't know they were being brain-raped. I thought it was obvious.

TraBuch

Banned
Oh shit, could there be an actual valid lawsuit from PP to
End Frame
? It seems feasible, given what Hooli were trying to do to PP. Never thought of that.

What got me more was a few episodes ago, how Dinesh and Gilfoyle didn't know they were being brain-raped. I thought it was obvious.
What bugged me is that they were being brain-raped while talking about how they were being brain-raped. Took their time erasing the board.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That focus test scene was gold.

You look like a ferret that gave up on itself six months ago.

lol

While I liked the episode a lot, I'm kind of getting tired of the whole how much shit can go wrong for them mentality the show has going for it. Every time something might go their way you know that it is not actually going to work out in any way at all. Especially in regards to their competition with Hooli.

Me too. It's starting to feel really repetitive.

Things are working against them but Hooli just hit a major roadblock. To be honest the only thing in their way now is that those brain rapists have a leg up.

I do like when the guys (and gal) get a win but seeing them bumble around is more than half the lulz.

Am I the only one which wants them to have a few wins instead of playing on the comedy of failure?

Seriously their business should like not exist.

Yeah, it would be nice, it's kind of getting ridiculous. I hope Hooli does buy End Frame just before Pied Piper counter sues.

cbox

The scene where Jared brought up SWOT hit hard because we do that at work.

That chart had me laughing damn hard.

big ander

Back to form after a really pronounced 3 episode slump. Laughed at so much this episode. Jared trying to set the girls up, double asshole, the focus group administrator, Ehrlich being so goddamn obnoxious, and of course the SWOT board. It's clear why this one worked so well: traditional sitcom pairing-off and ABC structure, and characters from each plotline interacted enough to have a few great jokes. Dunno why the last few episodes were so set on isolating characters and having Ehrlich whine outside everything, Gilfoyle and Dinesh do nothing exciting or funny, and Richard stress out alone without interacting with anybody.

Akainu

I just started watching this show at I think the episode when they had that meeting with that tech company. I still can't believe they did that. No surprise it came to bite them in the ass. Are they usually that...ignorant?

Deadstar

While I liked the episode a lot, I'm kind of getting tired of the whole how much shit can go wrong for them mentality the show has going for it. Every time something might go their way you know that it is not actually going to work out in any way at all. Especially in regards to their competition with Hooli.

Yeah, I'd like for them to get SOME win. There should be a balance.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but there is no way a bunch of computer nerds don't know about SWOT, literally ruined the entire episode for me.

Not if they didn't go to college/didn't go to a college that taught the more business-oriented approach to project development/management.

Also it's likely that they DID encounter that stuff in school but didn't really care that much about it and probably didn't remember it.

Also also: there's like a billion different similar business model things out there so they might have been taught something different.

Eh, they usually go two steps forward and one step back. They're still on track development wise, but there's just a lot of shit they have to deal with to see it through, like a real business (though much more exaggerated).

They aren't going to have an episode where they sit around after an all night coding session and show Gilfoyle nailing a module that was giving them trouble for the previous week.

I just started watching this show at I think the episode when they had that meeting with that tech company. I still can't believe they did that. No surprise it came to bit them in the ass. Are they usually that...ignorant?
they just don't get how business works and they are naive and a bunch of nerds

eznark

Banned

Show gets a lot harder to make interesting once the company is successful. Give them too many unfettered wins and you kind of have nowhere to go with it rather quickly.

Plus, most tech start-ups would kill for their current success:failure ratio

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Show gets a lot harder to make interesting once the company is successful. Give them too many unfettered wins and you kind of have nowhere to go with it rather quickly.

Plus, most tech start-ups would kill for their current success:failure ratio

Agreed. I like how the show has handled it so far. They won that event (whatever it's called) at the end of the first season, that was a pretty big win.

Plus it's a comedy. Their failures are funnier than their successes.

eznark

Banned
Agreed. I like how the show has handled it so far. They won that event (whatever it's called) at the end of the first season, that was a pretty big win.

Yeah I think every season basically has to be a 2 forward 1 back approach, with a rather big win at the end of the season. If I had to guess I would say this seasons "big win" will be getting that office. They'll probably have milked everything they can out of working from the "incubator" which honestly, has been a sort of underutilized plot device imo.

- EW: Read every card on the 'Let Blaine Die' SWOT board

We've seen the list of notes via Reddit, but there might be a few more here. Also, a few comments from the writers/producers:
“We just liked the idea of applying this cold, clinical business decision making process to something that is completely absurd, like whether you should let a guy die or not,” says executive producer Alec Berg of the SWOT plot, noting its common usage in the business world. The show’s writers—led by co-executive producers Dan O’Keefe and Clay Tarver—were tasked with coming up with a pile of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, some of which are called out in the dialogue and many others of which can be spotted on the wall. “We were kicking that around a lot,” says executive producer Mike Judge. “We had the ones that were in the script, but we wanted to fill all the index cards. There’s a bunch of funny ones that you probably never see.”

Blackhead

Redarse
"the resolution of your imagination is infinite"

I've seen the episode three times now and I'm still finding sly jokes to laugh at.

My favorite might be Galvin and the Guru, first silently rolling his eyes then gulping out a no, when Galvin asks if he's surrounded by sycophants.

Best of the season.

eznark

Banned
The web sites for this show are so good.

http://www.hooli.xyz/#vision

This group is led by beloved and universally distinguished Sole Head Dreamer Nelson “Big Head” Bighetti, who was co-founder, principal innovator and chief visionary of Pied Piper. He is just three credits shy of an undergraduate degree in computer science from the University of Oklahoma. He owns a boat.

KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom