• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounchfx

holy fuck, russ is just incredible. his delivery is spot on. Not my favorite episode overall but still really good, some quality moments.

he fucks.

Slacker

Kind of a disappointing episode for me. I know it's just a TV show, but they've set the bar pretty high as far as the technology realism goes. Having a delete key somehow delete everything on multiple systems is obviously ridiculous, and feels a little like the writers needed to come up with another hurdle for the guys but ran out of ideas.

Still better than anything else I'll watch this week, but a bit of a disappointment regardless.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Kind of a disappointing episode for me. I know it's just a TV show, but they've set the bar pretty high as far as the technology realism goes. Having a delete key somehow delete everything on multiple systems is obviously ridiculous, and feels a little like the writers needed to come up with another hurdle for the guys but ran out of ideas.

Still better than anything else I'll watch this week, but a bit of a disappointment regardless.

I'm not sure what program they were using, but in Transmit for Mac the delete key can easily remove any server-side files. Usually it'll ask if you're sure, but even that warning prompt can be disabled.

Shaneus

Having finished that episode... seriously, Richard is annoying as shit. Jin Yang stole it for me this week, though.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm finding it harder and harder to root for Richard when he's constantly being such a huge fucking idiot. It's not good when the main character is the weak link of a show.

Agreed; there's no way a sysadmin would give Pied Piper write access to their server, and there's no way they wouldn't have offline backups for most of their content.

I'm pretty tired of Richard though. And pretty tired of the racist stuff with Jian-Yang.

Edwardo

Hilarious episode, as usual though. Richard is still annoying, and it's getting to an uncomfortable level lol.

It's so funny how Russ never acknowledges Erlich.

It's kind of sill how all the company's data just gets deleted though. Wouldn't there normally be backups. Or shouldn't Pied Piper just be downloading from backups of the data?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How do you explain redundancy protocols in a 30 minute story and where is the satisfying ending to that conflict? Humorous or otherwise. This was just an easy way to explain to the layman that hitting the delete key to delete is how that button works. It was funny and it worked, despite it not being realistically feasible unless both parties are inept (which thankfully for this show everyone that is involved kind of is).

neshcom

Banned
Man, all of these one step forward, two steps back episodes are souring me. Tonight was super funny and there's still been 0 meaningful progression.

Trouble

Banned
Russ was the true hero of this episode.

The sotto voce "he fucks" may be my single favorite line in the series so far.

Thezez

Banned
Great episode. Assuming they had backups, bringing all that data back off tape or offsite backups would be a hell of a job.

golem

Im about to ask the show writers to can Richard and have Russ take over the company. His naivety schtick is getting super tiresome and predictable.

Paz

The weakest parts of this show are when they rely on silly gags that have nothing to do with the hilarity of its core subject matter, like accidentally putting a tequila bottle on a delete key..

Pretty good ep overall thanks ti the app pitch and Russ's delivery, just wish they had found a more interesting and clever way for them to screw up at the end, like the way they worked EndFrame in to the picture as a joke about clones and programmer's having a lot of business naivete.

Pocks

Internet Panther, chalice, and solemn Russ were the winners for me this episode. Not a big of Richard this episode. I've been able to tolerate it in the past, but his awkwardness was especially unnatural.

golem

just wish they had found a more interesting and clever way for them to screw up at the end

It would have been better if Seth really did hack the system, as it would have forced Richard to reconsider his idiocy and maybe even just grow a little bit as a character.

But no.

bounchfx

It would have been better if Seth really did hack the system, as it would have forced Richard to reconsider his idiocy and maybe even just grow a little bit as a character.

But no.

don't you think him being wrong about constantly assuming that Seth was going to hack have any significance in regards to him growing as a character? obviously we haven't seen if there will be any 'repercussions' of this yet but I'm not sure that just because it wasn't hacked means richard hasn't potentially learned anything from how he acted.

if anything, seth actually hacking would only justify his actions of over-anxiety

that being said, richard was especially bad this ep

Shaneus

7sYKxw8.png

Hmmm.

KarmaCow

The rule of threes on both got me on the axioms and swearing in front of kid jokes for some reason. Though, the jokes about Jian-Yang are getting pretty bad. It feels out of place and time.

And yea the delete key thing felt like two people on a keyboard hacking levels of TV dumb and is part of the larger problem of the last minute down turn formula of the show.

it was an okay episode a lot of stuff happened to move the plot forward for better or worse. Though as bunch of people in the IT field pointed out on the silicon sub reddit it seems a good lot of things technical in nature took a back seat.

Hope they don't do that again. Otherwise that "hack" would have not been a problem in real life.

JambiBum

I said it last week but after this whole debacle I'm done with the show now. Yeah the show is pretty funny but as others have said the whole things can't go right for PP bit is just tiring at this point. I was really hoping that they would just play up Richard's paranoia with Seth but still have things go smoothly for them in the end. Instead we get the whole delete key thing somehow locking everyone out from doing anything while deleting the files at both sites instead of just at theirs. If they wanted to go that route they could have just had it delete the files locally and make them have to redo the transfer causing more stress for Richard.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a terrible episode, outside of a couple funny moments ("He fucks"). Just kind of exasperating to watch, but not in a good way.

I seriously can't stand how shit Middleditch's character is when he's so fucking funny in real life. My interest in next week's episode(and the show in general) has definitely waned.

That was a terrible episode, outside of a couple funny moments ("He fucks"). Just kind of exasperating to watch, but not in a good way.

Yup.

oatmeal

Banned
Getting tired of these geniuses doing the stupidest thing imaginable at every turn. I was really excited to get rid of Russ. And then somehow a delete key deletes all that? No.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm getting tired of this one step forward, eight steps back shit. The final better make them part of the 2 comma club at least.

Polari

It was a weak episode in terms of narrative, but I can still just watch these characters and enjoy the shit out of it. Jin-yang and Erlich's conversation about smoking was great.

bounchfx

i'm hoping that they find success at the end of this season, and that s3 is about them moving into a larger office, coming to terms with having a lot of money, expanding, what to do with it, etc. would love a full arc of watching them bloom from here.

It was a weak episode in terms of narrative, but I can still just watch these characters and enjoy the shit out of it. Jin-yang and Erlich's conversation about smoking was great.

It was great, but it wasn't great enough to make up for the same shit over and over again.

DarkFlow

Banned
i'm hoping that they find success at the end of this season, and that s3 is about them moving into a larger office, coming to terms with having a lot of money, expanding, what to do with it, etc. would love a full arc of watching them bloom from here.
Exactly. They can only do this start up fuck up shit for so long before it gets stale. I want to see how Richard acts once he's rich and does stupid shit because of it.

jonnyp

Exactly. They can only do this start up fuck up shit for so long before it gets stale. I want to see how Richard acts once he's rich and does stupid shit because of it.

A million times this. It's still hilarious and I love the show but this whole setback-schtick that goes on in every episode needs to stop really soon. It's getting boring now.

Linius

It was a solid ep when it comes to the jokes and comedy. I just don't really like how something fucks up every time. These guys need a win. Feels like I'm watching a show about Donald Duck, they win something and then they lose everything again. Repeat.

Still funny though.

Hasney

I think the constant fucking up is going to happen for all of this season until both they and hooli are in such dissary that the only option left to either of them (and for Russ to get back into the 3 comma club) is a hooli buyout, but one that gives Richard a lot of things like still heading up the division.

Shaneus

Prediction (although it's probably mentioned in the teaser for next episode): Next episode will be about the legal action by Hooli on PP. We haven't heard about that old chestnut for a while.

Admodieus

I thought the best part of this episode was when Erlich mentioned how unfortunate it was that the pedophile demographic aren't typically early adopters

rexor0717

I don't think the Intersite business is over yet. If it is, then it was introduced for no reason at all, just a distraction for a few episodes. They'll get their win in the final episode. This show isn't Always Sunny in Philadelphia, these guys are people that actually deserve some happiness in their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom