• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

SaberVulcan

I had a city fail last night due to high traffic and tall commercial buildings catching on fire. It was all downhill from there.

I have a feeling this will happen to me soon. Theres a huge spike of criminals and arsonists from my lovely neighbors and it caused a traffic jam down the entire main road that leads to my city (my city is on top of a mountain).

Shit aint looking too good.

Also, is the way to just increase your civilian wealth via skyscrapers and whatnot to just increase the roads to High Density, and that allows your buildings to upgrade fully? Just asking cause all of my neighbors seem to have smaller cities but packed with skyscrapers and expensive buildings.

I have a feeling this will happen to me soon. Theres a huge spike of criminals and arsonists from my lovely neighbors and it caused a traffic jam down the entire main road that leads to my city (my city is on top of a mountain).

Shit aint looking too good.

Also, is the way to just increase your civilian wealth via skyscrapers and whatnot to just increase the roads to High Density, and that allows your buildings to upgrade fully? Just asking cause all of my neighbors seem to have smaller cities but packed with skyscrapers and expensive buildings.

Roads affect density, while things like parks, services, etc. affect land value.

OchreHand

After a couple of crashes and a non functioning tutorial, i was able to play for a good three hours. Those hours just flew by..

If Origin gets its act together and bugs are patched, there's a real gem of a game here.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
My little electronics city so far. It's damn tough to get this up and running with all the materials needed. Slowly getting rid of my high tech industrial too (you can just make out a chemical fire engulfing that area).

7oXig9R.jpg

IISANDERII

That character he plays is just a gimmick. He reads about problems people are having with a game and then makes a video freaking out about it. Check out his other videos he doesn't talk or act anything like that. It's funny stuff but not real at all.
In a thread about acting in the OT, my complaint was that actors almost never breathe hard enough, especially when agitated. But this guy apparently nails it, pulls it off convincingly, had me fooled.

Can you upgrade roads without demolishing them and losing what's on them?

Yes, select the road tool and press R or there's a button for upgrades under the road design tools.

You can only upgrade roads to higher density roads, if you want to change to avenues, you have to bulldoze. You can also downgrade roads as well.

This.

I don't fully understand the road upgrading. Also, is there any way to click on them and see what the actual existing road is?

Using the road upgrade tool, you can click on the road to see what it is.

Yes, select the road tool and press R or there's a button for upgrades under the road design tools.

You can only upgrade roads to higher density roads, if you want to change to avenues, you have to bulldoze. You can also downgrade roads as well.

Ok thanks, that helps a lot.

eznark

Banned

I feel like I am going from PC to Mac with this game. I've been playing a bunch of Crusader Kings lately and I'm having trouble adjusting to the simplified interface of Sim! Need more spreadsheets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is a comedy of errors that led to the almost absolute destruction of my first city in SimCity yesterday. I didn't realize that the water pumps could pretty much pump the ground dry in the area they are placed. So, I had a huge city based around oil drilling and ore mining. I placed the water pumps far away from all these activities so the water wouldn't get polluted. Once the ground dried up the city ran out of water. With no water the businesses couldn't run and generate income, so the city started to go bankrupt. I had to shut off services like the schools temporarily so I could afford to place new water pumps. While the schools were shut off the citizens got dumber and didn't have the skill levels to work at the high tech jobs in the city...namely the nuclear power plant. So, the power plant was no longer safe and had a meltdown making half the city radioactive. This created a lot of destroyed buildings and polluted the water system. As any good horror fan will tell you, this led to a zombie apocalypse and the zombies burned down the other half of the city. Wow...

so although there is huge dependencies on resources from other cities in your region (and imports), there isn't any social mobility for residents? You'd think if your residents got dumber, you'd just get cheaper residents paying less tax, and they'd go and work elsewhere. The Nuclear plant shouldn't just lower their entry standards, they'd hire from out of town but your town wouldn't see the tax revenues from those people.

overall though the forced nature of the multiplayer almost feels like its pushing you up against glaring artificial barriers making a single city almost impossible to fully balance. That plus the limited size is meaning I'm probably sitting this out for a while, at least until we get a longer term view on the game.

I feel like I am going from PC to Mac with this game. I've been playing a bunch of Crusader Kings lately and I'm having trouble adjusting to the simplified interface of Sim! Need more spreadsheets.

The death of the PC manuals has doomed us all! :(

I remember my binder thick flight sim manuals. RIP Falcon 4.0!

Slacker

Game itself is fine (when you can play it.... rimshot).

Whoever handled the servers between EA and Maxis should be ashamed though. I feel bad for the guys who just worked on the game itself, it must suck to see your hard work get shit on because the servers suck.

We must be playing a different game. The tutorial doesn't work. The cities are too small. Lots of lockups/crashes. Once it locked and caused the sound card to flip out causing me to have to restart the computer. I play games on my PC almost every day, and I literally can't remember the last time I've crashed out of one until last night. Even Tomb Raider, which apparently is causing issues for nvidia owners, is working perfectly for me. SimCity is near unplayable.

You can't delete cities and start over. This is infuriating. If you fail, you just have to bail out and found a new city somewhere else, apologizing to your former neighbors on the way out for the waste of space forever clogging up the region.

Playing with friends is unintuitive. When someone invites me to a region, you'd think I'd log in and see an invite to a region. Instead, I have to click on the inviter's name to make the invite pop up. Of course, even then the first five times I tried to join the region it said it was invite only. I got this with the invitation still in the background behind the region window.

You can maybe pin the region joining thing on EA/Origin. The rest is squarely on Maxis. I bought this game before reading any reviews because their name was on the cover. I won't be making that mistake again.

LogicStep

I keep joining regions hoping to play with others but I keep getting people that aren't there or abandon their cities. Is there something I'm not getting?

We must be playing a different game. The tutorial doesn't work. The cities are too small. Lots of lockups/crashes. Once it locked and caused the sound card to flip out causing me to have to restart the computer. I play games on my PC almost every day, and I literally can't remember the last time I've crashed out of one until last night. Even Tomb Raider, which apparently is causing issues for nvidia owners, is working perfectly.

You can't delete cities and start over. This is infuriating. If you fail, you just have to bail out and found a new city somewhere else, apologizing to your former neighbors on the way out for the waste of space forever clogging up the region.

Playing with friends is unintuitive. When someone invites me to a region, you'd think I'd log in and see an invite to a region. Instead, I have to click on the inviter's name to make the invite pop up. Of course, even then the first five times I tried to join the region it said it was invite only. I got this with the invitation still in the background behind the region window.

You can maybe pin the region joining thing on EA/Origin. The rest is squarely on Maxis. I bought this game before reading any reviews because their name was on the cover. I won't be making that mistake again.

Everything you listed is a server issue. It is a problem and yes, it is killing the game right now.

I was referring to the time I played while the servers were working, before the US version unlocked.

My city failed and it gave me the option to start a new city but when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

hit 150k residents and all of a sudden someone set off some kind of homeless bomb and now they are everywhere

Looks like you should prob make sure your streets are updated to support the highest density buildings AND that there's enough land behind your zoned street-fronts to support the high density buildings.

I've bulldozed and rebuilt the residential area of my city about 3 times now to make room for the bigger buildings. The higher density the road, the farther apart they should be from each other.

Learned the hardway after spending all this money to upgrade my medium density streets to high density only to realize I had to bulldoze and re-plan to take full advantage.

so although there is huge dependencies on resources from other cities in your region (and imports), there isn't any social mobility for residents? You'd think if your residents got dumber, you'd just get cheaper residents paying less tax, and they'd go and work elsewhere. The Nuclear plant shouldn't just lower their entry standards, they'd hire from out of town but your town wouldn't see the tax revenues from those people.

overall though the forced nature of the multiplayer almost feels like its pushing you up against glaring artificial barriers making a single city almost impossible to fully balance. That plus the limited size is meaning I'm probably sitting this out for a while, at least until we get a longer term view on the game.

I was playing in a private region on the only city in the region at that time. It's my fault that there wasn't a supply of smarter citizens elsewhere.

Agkel

I feel bad for you guys, but reading this thread makes me glad that the GS I went to yesterday didn't have any copies digital or physical. This seems to be Diablo 3 all over again, from the gameplay changes to the DRM fiasco.

I ain't going through that disappointment again. Skipping this one, but hopefully for those of you who stay, things get a bit better.

JambiBum

In terms of technology or density?
For a technology update you'll have to increase education levels in your city.

What's the best way to do this? I have every school possible right now, and it still seems like the levels aren't going up. The only thing I haven't done yet is upgrade my university.

What's the best way to do this? I have every school possible right now, and it still seems like the levels aren't going up. The only thing I haven't done yet is upgrade my university.

Can all the citizens go to school who want to go to school? Are there enough classrooms? A library also helps keep citizens educated as adults.

Raven77

Okay I have a few questions. My city is SOARING right now but i'm starting to feel like its about to fall apart.

- I have about 7 residential skyscrapers - but my POPULATION is not going up...I'm confused by this.

- I have a constant demand for more residential. I have nowhere left to build and have resorted to increasing land value in order to have them make larger residential buildings. As I state above, the building looks like it could hold 2000 people, but my population doesn't go up as these things are constructed nor does the demand for residential go down.

- I built a processor factory and installed the Trade HQ and the Freight shipping building to bring in alloys and plastics. I have this stuff set to export So I gues snow it just makes money for me?

- I have businesses in industrial going out of business because they "can't find skilled workers". I have gradeschools through a university, NONE are maxed out student wise, so what gives? I need a bigger population I guess? How can there be a "demand for industrial" and industrial is going out of business?

Sorry for the long post, any assistance would be great.

JambiBum

Can all the citizens go to school who want to go to school? Are there enough classrooms? A library also helps keep citizens educated as adults.

I have a library, and bus stops everywhere that is needed so I don't know what would be stopping them from going to school. I've upgraded classes as much as my budget will let me for now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We must be playing a different game. The tutorial doesn't work. The cities are too small. Lots of lockups/crashes. Once it locked and caused the sound card to flip out causing me to have to restart the computer. I play games on my PC almost every day, and I literally can't remember the last time I've crashed out of one until last night. Even Tomb Raider, which apparently is causing issues for nvidia owners, is working perfectly for me. SimCity is near unplayable.

You can totally restart - if you go bankrupt "abandon the city" is an option and it resets the whole city tile.

make sure people are attending the schools - ie bus stop coverage in all residential, enough buses and enough desks for all the students. It takes awhile before you get the third tier of tech for industry

Smiley90

I think I'm gonna abandon my full tech, high education city that's doomed for failure and go full Detroit mode with a new one :lol

Sinistral

Are germs only relieved by Garbage Collection and Sewage Treament? I feel this is a constant problem even with both buildings maxed out showing they aren't even close to capacity. I have nice cover of clinics and a hospital too. Any suggestions?

N-Bomb

Left my city on overnight. 50,000 people, making $2000/hr.

I wake up to a city of 1500 people, with a $7000/hr deficit. Why? Apparently my city on the river, with the water plant on the shore, ran out of water.

I've managed to pull it out of Situation: Mad Max, but that's still very disappointing.

How does one stop high density residential from polluting the ground?

chiablo

So I built the Dr. Vu's tower, and caused my whole city to essentially fall apart (apparently, nobody wants to live in a city filled with crime 24/7). Other than game-breaking fluff, what point is there to the "heroes and villains" DLC?

I built the "Maxisman" stuff to counter it, but it literally had no impact on the crime in the city.

Smiley90

Are germs only relieved by Garbage Collection and Sewage Treament? I feel this is a constant problem even with both buildings maxed out showing they aren't even close to capacity. I have nice cover of clinics and a hospital too. Any suggestions?

Did you add the wellness centre to your hospital? High-wealth people loooove themselves some wellness (as well as fire marshalls)

Smiley90

So I built the Dr. Vu's tower, and caused my whole city to essentially fall apart (apparently, nobody wants to live in a city filled with crime 24/7). Other than game-breaking fluff, what point is there to the "heroes and villains" DLC?

I built the "Maxisman" stuff to counter it, but it literally had no impact on the crime in the city.

It's a fun gimmick, that's about it

Left my city on overnight. 50,000 people, making $2000/hr.

I wake up to a city of 1500 people, with a $7000/hr deficit. Why? Apparently my city on the river, with the water plant on the shore, ran out of water.

I've managed to pull it out of Situation: Mad Max, but that's still very disappointing.

How does one stop high density residential from polluting the ground?

Make sure all their garbage and recycling gets picked up all the time

Addnan

How do we abandon a region? Every time I click abandon it just says could not abandon at this time, try again later. Been doing this for a few hours.

Top Bottom