• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Pandemic

Picked up my copy from EB Games,
vuGjPV5l.jpg

That's the steel casebook, blah blah.

My client is stuck on "checking for updates" again. Sigh.

Mine just let me know servers are down (US East 1). I thought Eurpoeans were signing on, why is US East 1 down?

On a side note, hopefully I gave away all my resources successfully in Viridian Woods 3. I hit the bankrupt screen, but it was accompanied by the message above.

I'll restart my region after dinner. I learned that educating my sims is a necessary evil.

grkazan12

Have the game installed and ready to go and the only thing that I finished so far is the tutorial.

Do you think that it's a good time to jump in?

or

Should I wait for a potential patch or expansion that could alleviate some of the problems and limitations that I've been hearing about?

Ok, bootcamp up and running and simcity installed, but i really should do my homework and stuff before even looking at the game. -clicks start anyways-

Nokterian

Well played for about a hour now. Don't know,to me i do not like it. Sure looks nice and all but thise whole multiplayer thing is such a turn off to me. Gonna ask a refund and get something that is more worth my time and money then this.

Jhriad

Was playing for a while with after the server went down and it just booted me out. Was kinda hoping that I would be able to stay in-game until the server came back up. Didn't need that progress anyways. *sigh*

It is really hard to get people to commute. I have an Industrial town with 1300 low jobs free, 400 mid, 10 or so hi. My Residential town has hundreds of people unemployed and growing.

Yeah. I'm not getting this either... I have a bunch of industry that sprouts up and closes down, and a bunch of people without jobs... I guess the people are too highly educated for the jobs? But how do I make my industry take more highly-educated people?

edit: also, the sewage treatment creating new ground water tip sounds like a goddamn life-saver. Thanks for that! I'm going to put that in action as soon as I get a chance to log in.

Ok, bootcamp up and running and simcity installed, but i really should do my homework and stuff before even looking at the game. -clicks start anyways-

Let me know how it goes. I was thinking about doing it. But I'm worried about the whole mac transfer crap. I dont want to buy the game twice, especially with these server issues.

Spl1nter

Yeah. I'm not getting this either... I have a bunch of industry that sprouts up and closes down, and a bunch of people without jobs... I guess the people are too highly educated for the jobs? But how do I make my industry take more highly-educated people?

It maybe a server issue load issue. As I said earlier I have a city of 10000 with no industry jobs supported by another one which is almost all industry.

If I liked Civ 5, will I like this? I've played Sim City before but the last was many years ago.

I watched a quicklook on GiantBomb and while the smaller cities focus is a little weird (since huge cities has been so prevalent in past games), I liked what I saw and the score is really fantastic. Really *different* music to what I was expecting.

It maybe a server issue load issue. As I said earlier I have a city of 10000 with no industry jobs supported by another one which is almost all industry.

But my industry and residential are in the same city :p It shouldn't even need to contact the server to have them drive down the street to the jobs.

But like I said, I think the issue is my workers are too highly educated for the jobs. I need to figure out how to make my industry more highly-educated.

Shane86

"Hi Mayors --If you get stuck on "CHECKING FOR UPDATES" you should delete all files in your User Data.

If you have a desktop shortcut you can right click the icon and select PROPERTIES then delete all files in the User Data folder.
If you launch through Origin go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData and delete all files in the User Data folder.

Then run the game again and you should get past that screen.

Note: The recovery tool will not resolve this issue, so please use the directions above."

Lingitiz

I'm liking this but the city size is kinda getting to me. I keep getting asked to make more residential when half my city is already residential. Either there just isn't enough room to build more, or I'm doing something wrong.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Claimed some land in Viridian Woods 2. There were several spots open so I took a better one than the one I had reserved, hope that's okay.

f0rk

I'm liking this but the city size is kinda getting to me. I keep getting asked to make more residential when half my city is already residential. Either there just isn't enough room to build more, or I'm doing something wrong.

You have to work on increasing the density of the zones you already have with parks and stuff

saunderez

You either have to increase the density or provide residential in a connected region. Density increases take a bit of time so it'd be easier to just start a connected plot and build a heap of residential and not much else.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm in a server queue now, so clearly SOMETHING worked. :p

I deleted ALL the files and folders in SimUserData

Jhriad

"Hi Mayors --If you get stuck on "CHECKING FOR UPDATES" you should delete all files in your User Data.

If you have a desktop shortcut you can right click the icon and select PROPERTIES then delete all files in the User Data folder.
If you launch through Origin go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData and delete all files in the User Data folder.

Then run the game again and you should get past that screen.

Note: The recovery tool will not resolve this issue, so please use the directions above."

Worked but now I'm infinitely loading my city. At least I get to see all the loading screen tips this way I suppose.

fritolay

Jeez, the customer reviews on Amazon has thrashed this game, lol..

I just read the comments. 300 plus people have given it 1 star and man this is not good for EA. They should never have required online connections for a game with many veteran fans, whom never wanted to play online to begin with.

Mazdarati

Neo Member

Same here. I have industry, power, garbage, sewage, etc. in one city and residential and commercial only in another. It's been tricky to get them to commute, but so far so good.
tw62Rts.jpg

rLFg9PP.jpg

Still trying to get the middle area to sprout some high rise stuff...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Same here. I have industry, power, garbage, sewage, etc. in one city and residential and commercial only in another. It's been tricky to get them to commute, but so far so good.
tw62Rts.jpg

rLFg9PP.jpg

Still trying to get the middle area to sprout some high rise stuff...

To be fair, your city looks REALLY small :lol how many people is that? 15k? less probably?

Uthred

So which EU countries is this unlocked in at the moment? If you have a UK key can you VPN in as those countries to unlock a day early?

Edit: To answer my own question its out everywhere in Europe apart from Ireland, Portugal and the UK. Because apparently we're "special"

Top Bottom