• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Nibiru

Banned
I'm watching a japanese stream and the chat freaked out when the robbery scene happened and they were shooting guns at each other lol. Someone said "&#24375;&#30423;&#37507;&#25731;&#25126;&#12459;&#12540;&#12481;&#12455;&#12452;&#12473;&#12399;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459;&#12398;&#26085;&#24120;&#33590;&#39151;&#20107;" and Google translate that to "car chase robbery shootout everyday experience of the United States""

When my nuclear plant melted down and there was radiation everywhere I thought "everyday experience in Japan" :p

Darklord

Banned
Noooooo. We can't let that happen, I don't want to lose my 13 million simoleons. :(

Damn straight! But seriously, how the fuck can I stop my sewage pipes from eaching max limit? I've got like 8 stations and a treatment plant, it says it's in the green but my cities full of shit!

trinest

Has any of the GAF regions started building Great Works?

I started cleaning up my city a little bit (tightening a few streets) during the process was getting a good amount of cash, then all the buildings started burning so my half a million went by by. Oh well.

Nlroh

Damn straight! But seriously, how the fuck can I stop my sewage pipes from eaching max limit? I've got like 8 stations and a treatment plant, it says it's in the green but my cities full of shit!

I don't know, but everything's buggy right now. I can't plop new tourism attractions, even if it says all the requirements for them are complete. In fact, the whole dynamic of my city changed today, tourism went to shit, there are no people commuting in, industry was closing because there aren't enough workers... It's probably some server problem, but my whole financing plan went to red out of nowhere and I just lost 1 million because of this.

Is there a Euro GAF region setup yet, or anyone willing to set one up.

I've got the game sat on my desk and considering installing it at work just to try and get an hour or two as I won't get chance to play till tomorrow otherwise :/

froliq

I started cleaning up my city a little bit (tightening a few streets) during the process was getting a good amount of cash, then all the buildings started burning so my half a million went by by. Oh well.
Have the regions even filled up their 4 city clusters? I think there's like 8 people on my GAF region, but we're spread all over the place.

Nlroh

Burgess started an arcology in our cluster, but it seems like it's not working because of the server issues. I've been sending metal there for a day and it's not updating, it's stuck at 770 tons.

SLV

So as it stands now, there basically is no multiplayer right ? I started to play with my friend, we cant trade resources at all, like water and electricity, although we are right next to each other, i sent him money, it never arrived either. WTF !

In region view it also shows 0 people and 0 money, although that aint so. 2 days ago all was fine for me GRRRRRRRR....

So as it stands now, there basically is no multiplayer right ? I started to play with my friend, we cant trade resources at all, like water and electricity, although we are right next to each other, i sent him money, it never arrived either. WTF !

In region view it also shows 0 people and 0 money, although that aint so. 2 days ago all was fine for me GRRRRRRRR....

Yep, they shut it down and I don't think announced it. The "interconnectivity" is gone. Thus no murderers and arsonists on the loose.

No getting city hall perks from neighbors.

No commerce, and no traffic. Basically its crippled the game.

trinest

Yep, they shut it down and I don't think announced it. The "interconnectivity" is gone. Thus no murderers and arsonists on the loose.

and they said their patch wouldn't break the game.

Pandemic

Wait what? They turned off trades?

Kabouter

No traffic? I could have sworn my second city was crawling with buses and stuff just now. Is it just trades? And is it all trades or just resources like coal and what not?

so sad so all social aspects are now destroyed...yet we still have to be online? lol

Is this a better game? lol

Seriously, I want to play Sim City but I'm glad I didn't buy it day one. Maybe in a week or two's time.

Finaly i could start a city and actualy play the game! Started a private region on Europe West 3. After 2 startovers i decided to start with the best roads and square blocks. Its a littlebit slow at the beginning but fun to see your little village grow.

Acorn

Hey guys we're always online because the region trading is a vital feature!

Fast forward to launch "We're turning off region trading as it isn't a vital feature!"

Jarnet87

Finally got to play last night. Was on Europe West 3 but didn't seem to lag. I completely forgot how to play Simcity lol. I built way too much expensive roads and was broke before building anything really, had to take 3 bonds just so I could continue building necessities. I think I'm gonna play with the cheats on and sort of fool around with all the different options and this way get a better understanding for when I try and create another city.

Jintor

So is an Ore or Coal mine just going to suck up everything outta the ground or am I gonna have to keep moving it to keep up with the coal seams or something

mandiller

I can finally connect and play fine without disconnects on the Oceania server. The only problem is a wait time to connect.

I spent a good few hours playing for the first time and I'm really enjoying it (would be better if the disabled features worked). Playing in an online region is fantastic. The game should have a single player mode, but I can definitely see what they were going for in the online mode. Very cool stuff. Here's my city so far:

esChquT.jpg

I have about 125,000 population. Making 13,000 simoleons profit/hr, about 600,000 in the bank.

I built a university and all of a sudden my very polluting industry zone started erecting high tech, low pollution industry. Awesome!

So they've disabled the feature that made online play worthwhile? This whole thing has confused me greatly. I want this game, but was cautious about it due to the online and city sizes. Now, I'm not even sure why it's online.

I see WAY too many people saying, "So glad I didn't buy this at launch, I'll grab it in another week or two."

And that's why we can't have nice things. Please don't support games like this.

Nuh. Not buying this and it will be the first SimCity game that I won't too.

I'm OK with the DRM, but the size of the city area is a joke, the bullshit launch, the lack of single player and now the disabling of features has put me right off.

Raide

Hrmm...

Something is fundamentally wrong when the tutorial part of the game is also locked to servers. Finished the visit to the second city, and it took ages to load and then disconnected. Really EA? You cannot even make the tutorial work?

Still early days and I am sure the servers and connection issues will be sorted but its a really bad start for a new SimCity game and for EA in general.

As for the Cheetah speed thing, I wonder if that was causing too many server issues with it trying to calculate things really quickly?

Phinor

Has the game worked at all in the past 6 hours or so? I've been trying to get into my city for an hour but the furthest I've gotten is trying to load my city, which fails quickly due to lost connection. Well it doesn't fail as such, it just keeps loading infinitely.

So they forgot to implement timeouts and/or they are not working. I spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to load the second tutorial city but simply nothing happened, no error messages, no disconnects, no messages at all. That's just poor design, having to alt-F4 a game that has not crashed and is still running because there's no other way to even quit back to the main menu.

Burger

I see WAY too many people saying, "So glad I didn't buy this at launch, I'll grab it in another week or two."

And that's why we can't have nice things. Please don't support games like this.

I don't mind paying for it. But no way for £36

I'll wait till the price drops way down, but that may be a few weeks before they turn the servers off...

The achievement is Metropolis not Megalopolis and before anyone says it's still wrong.....

In the United States an incorporated area or group of areas having a population more than 50,000 is required to have a metropolitan planning organization in order to facilitate major infrastructure projects and to ensure financial solvency. Thus, a population of 50,000 or greater has been used as a de facto standard in the United States to define a metropolis. A similar definition is used by the United States Census Bureau. They define a metropolitan statistical area as at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more inhabitants. The five largest metropolitan cities in the US are New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston.

f0rk

Played without much issue on Euro West 1 this morning, it dropped from the server a few times but still let me play. Not having cheetah speed sucked though

Mazdarati

Neo Member
I can finally connect and play fine without disconnects on the Oceania server. The only problem is a wait time to connect.

I spent a good few hours playing for the first time and I'm really enjoying it (would be better if the disabled features worked). Playing in an online region is fantastic. The game should have a single player mode, but I can definitely see what they were going for in the online mode. Very cool stuff. Here's my city so far:

esChquT.jpg

I have about 125,000 population. Making 13,000 simoleons profit/hr, about 600,000 in the bank.

I built a university and all of a sudden my very polluting industry zone started erecting high tech, low pollution industry. Awesome!

Nice city! I was hoping my industry would become high tech in my adjacent city because of the university, but it didn't. I guess it has to be in the same city...or maybe it's just the servers are to blame?

Raide

Finally got in and I am building away! Only problem...game looks like ass on my PC. Got things all on full and it still does not look great. Also missing the road textures when I place them and no Sim faces.

Kabouter

- Log in on city 1, see godzilla plow through it destroying city hall necessitating a giant loan to rebuild it immediately
- After fixing that, log into small commuter town. See godzilla destroy that.

I wish you could turn disasters off. By the way, for me city transfers and stuff are still working, just got a pyromaniac in my commuter town from the city, and cheetah speed works fine too. Guess they haven't pushed the patch to everyone yet.

Dead Man

- Log in on city 1, see godzilla plow through it destroying city hall necessitating a giant loan to rebuild it immediately

I wish you could turn disasters off. By the way, for me city transfers and stuff are still working, just got a pyromaniac in my commuter town from the city, and cheetah speed works fine too. Guess they haven't pushed the patch to everyone yet.

You can't turn disasters off? What the hell sort of sim city is this? Disasters are best used after you have built your city and then you order one up on demand.

Cheetah speed is still disabled. You can click on the 3rd arrow but its the same speed as the second arrow.

You can turn off disasters in sandbox mode. You have to create a personal region for it though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, quite enjoying this minus the ridiculous server issues. I have to say that the city size is a detriment for sure. I could use at least double the space for commercial and industry. I feel like I'm being constrained into making the city I really want to make and am running out of space to make viable upgrades. I am also struggling to figure out how to make a bridge to connect to the other side of my land. I'm not even using half of the allocated grid space allotted to me ><

Any tips on how to make bridges to connect land masses?

DEO3

How are you guys even playing? It's been three days since I was last able to get in.

(Sorry Viridian Woods #3)

My biggest problem in city planning is knowing how much space I need to leave for zones.

When you zone out an area next to a road, there is a little marker there letting you know how much "width" the zone needs. But once you're done laying down the zone, no idea! To make it even more complicated, each zone type (R, C or I) is a different width. I had a few nicely squared and even blocks of residential area (after several bulldozes and retries), and I just wanted to continue my nice, symmetrical street grid further north but zone it commerce.

No dice, commerce zoning is wider than residential zoning. So my nice even grid of streets needs to be blown apart if I want to connect that to a commerce zone.

This is making my OCD kick and scream. Every inch of space must be used! And everything must be symmetrical!! *pant*
I have the same problem. If you know a way to solve this, please let me know. IT'S KILLING ME!

EDIT: That is, I was able to play only once since launch. And for 40 minutes, after that I was kicked out of the server and did not bother anymore.

Well, quite enjoying this minus the ridiculous server issues. I have to say that the city size is a detriment for sure. I could use at least double the space for commercial and industry. I feel like I'm being constrained into making the city I really want to make and am running out of space to make viable upgrades. I am also struggling to figure out how to make a bridge to connect to the other side of my land. I'm not even using half of the allocated grid space allotted to me ><

Any tips on how to make bridges to connect land masses?

You should just be able to drag the road across.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You should just be able to drag the road across.

You'd think it would be that simple but it goes red and the road outline sinks into the water. I haven't tried in a couple of days as I thought there was an upgrade I needed to enable me to make bridges but I will try it again in a bit.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Does anyone actually like it better with forced disasters? Personally, I find the random earthquakes and things to be more of an annoyance than a challenge. Having to rebuild things is tedious.

Raide

Ok, I seem to be missing most of the important icons. I cannot see requests for fire, health, where the sewage goes etc, so I have no idea what they need. Might re-install this.

Ok, I seem to be missing most of the important icons. I cannot see requests for fire, health, where the sewage goes etc, so I have no idea what they need. Might re-install this.

Try logging out then in again. A lot of weird errors due to server problems

Top Bottom