• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

sdornan

Most of the interviews with the developers and various "insider" stories have said that EA were largely hands off (like they tend to be with their larger studios) and that it was members of the Maxis team who were pushing for a lot of the features people are complaining about

If that's the case, I'm curious who's most responsible for the online-only stuff. Was it EA as publisher attempting to combat piracy, or did Maxis feel it was absolutely necessary to support the features they wanted to include? The former seems far more likely.

Uthred

If that's the case, I'm curious who's most responsible for the online-only stuff. Was it EA as publisher attempting to combat piracy, or did Maxis feel it was absolutely necessary to support the features they wanted to include? The former seems far more likely.

I think earlier in this thread, or possibly one of the other ones regarding the launch, someone said a guy at Maxis was the one who really pushed the always online stuff, cant recall his name at the mo, begins with a Q? (super helpful I know ;) )

Edit: I could live without the disasters turned on. A tornado just made absolute shit of my city center

Repo Man

[sarcasm] Not entirely sure why people complain about login issues because all they would do anyway is play the game for 5 minutes and then log off to go complain on some forum about how shit the game is and how they'll never ever buy another EA game again... Untill the next overhyped turd comes along. [/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, i dread the day when all gaming goes the way of digital distribution because then these sort of issues on launch will be the norm.

All i can say is, hang in there Simmers and Simmees!

guit3457

Ok, the game is out in Europe so we can suffer the NA problems too XDDD

Can someone invite to the Discovery Delta (3) Region? I have Honeysuckle Harsh
I'm guit3457 here in Neogaf and PelegrinuX in Origin.

How it works? Thanks.

Mik2121

Man, the reviews for this game on the Japanese Amazon site are amazing! But really... feel so sad to see Sim City doing this bad and with so many people hating it. Can't wait for the server stuff to get fixed so I can also buy this and enjoy it.

VALIS

My biggest problem in city planning is knowing how much space I need to leave for zones.

When you zone out an area next to a road, there is a little marker there letting you know how much "width" the zone needs. But once you're done laying down the zone, no idea! To make it even more complicated, each zone type (R, C or I) is a different width. I had a few nicely squared and even blocks of residential area (after several bulldozes and retries), and I just wanted to continue my nice, symmetrical street grid further north but zone it commerce.

No dice, commerce zoning is wider than residential zoning. So my nice even grid of streets needs to be blown apart if I want to connect that to a commerce zone.

This is making my OCD kick and scream. Every inch of space must be used! And everything must be symmetrical!! *pant*

I still can't believe all of the whining going on about this game. It's fun but the launch was unfortunate. Everything will pan out eventually.

+Aliken+

Man, the reviews for this game on the Japanese Amazon site are amazing! But really... feel so sad to see Sim City doing this bad and with so many people hating it. Can't wait for the server stuff to get fixed so I can also buy this and enjoy it.

On metacritic the critic review is at 79/100 while the user review is 1.6 /10.
The difference is obviously server problem related.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm watching a japanese stream and the chat freaked out when the robbery scene happened and they were shooting guns at each other lol. Someone said "&#24375;&#30423;&#37507;&#25731;&#25126;&#12459;&#12540;&#12481;&#12455;&#12452;&#12473;&#12399;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459;&#12398;&#26085;&#24120;&#33590;&#39151;&#20107;" and Google translate that to "car chase robbery shootout everyday experience of the United States""

and then this happened ;_;

F9a1mcZ.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Europe! Launch day!

Not sure if want :/ Is it fixed up yet? I've been keenly anticipating this but the last few days have eaten away much of my excitement. I would still get it, though, if it was working well.

AppleMIX

Europe! Launch day!

Not sure if want :/ Is it fixed up yet? I've been keenly anticipating this but the last few days have eaten away much of my excitement. I would still get it, though, if it was working well.

I would wait a week and ask again.

SRTtoZ

Yay I finally played SimCity for the first time since release night. NA East 1 is finally working again, so thats good and my city looks great.

Uthred

Europe! Launch day!

Been playing it solid since launch last night, seven or eight hours with no issue on Europe East 1 server

Forsete

Didn't it launch yesterday? I'm sure I could download it from Origin, of course I didn't.

Yes it was yesterday. And no it does not work. I'll try again in a bit though. So far I have only played the dammed tutorial. The game refuses to let me build my own city. :-(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't it launch yesterday? I'm sure I could download it from Origin, of course I didn't.

Oh sorry, my bad. I think today is launch day just here in Ireland, UK and maybe some other places?

Mixed reactions :/ I think I'll monitor through the day and see what the general experience is like. I'd love to be playing this (uninterrupted) this weekend.

SRTtoZ

Ok, the game is out in Europe so we can suffer the NA problems too XDDD

Can someone invite to the Discovery Delta (3) Region? I have Honeysuckle Harsh
I'm guit3457 here in Neogaf and PelegrinuX in Origin.

How it works? Thanks.

Ill be on tomorrow to invite you. You need to be on NA East Coast 1 to get an invite so play there.

CzarTim

Finally got into a game, but had to make my own region to do so. At least that's something.

Did they really turn off natural resources? I thought that was a joke, but there is no oil under my city when the 'claim a city' page said there was.

had to play on the Euro server.... but played for a solid 3 hours straight. sucks that i must now abandon that city because i need to get back to the us servers to play.

i cant even find the gaf region i was in VW3 NA-east.

had to play on the Euro server.... but played for a solid 3 hours straight. sucks that i must now abandon that city because i need to get back to the us servers to play.

i cant even find the gaf region i was in VW3 NA-east.
you're achilles_steel right?
i dont think i ever saw you claim your city.
there's two spots left. and i think you were one of them.
i'll send you another an invite just in case.

Finally got to play, but on the Euro server

Population stalled at 30k, I guess because there are no other cities in the region so it's just my population :(

Hellcrow

Protip, do not build bus stops in a new city in an already populated region. God damn armada of regional busses just popping in and clogging up the highway.

you're achilles_steel right?
i dont think i ever saw you claim your city.
there's two spots left. and i think you were one of them.
i'll send you another an invite just in case.

yeah, that's me.

i haven't been able to log into the NA east 1 server other than once on launch day. it never works for me. i've been making dummy cities on euro servers. tried to log in now to east 1 and it lets me log in, but just gives me errors.

i'll see again tmrrw.

munroe

So, I'm going to risk it, going to purchase the game in a bit.. have the issues starting to improve? Are the euro servers more reliable at the moment?

Anson225

it's been 3 days - they got rid of some features (cheetah? really) and I can't still set up a region with my friends, or resume my first city. wonder how much longer is this gonna take...

viet

Neo Member
Anyone got a good-sized region going on NA East 2? I'm actually able to join certain games now so PM me for my origin name if you have a slot for me!

Top Bottom