• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Has this been posted yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYLmsEBGug
This is honestly a huge travesty, I was really looking forward to picking this game up since Maxis games have been a huge part of my childhood. I was watching one of my friends try to connect for a solid few hours earlier today when he got it installed and good to go. Then we managed to get a connection after about 30min and it kicked us off for emergency patching after literally just getting into the game. :\

Yeah... this is launch. Keep that video handy if it happens on a regular occurence a little later on but almost all games that are online only have horrible launches. And if anyone replies, yes yes, SC should be SP. I know you think that. I get it. I do.

Yeah... this is launch. Keep that video handy if it happens on a regular occurence a little later on but almost all games that are online only have horrible launches. And if anyone replies, yes yes, SC should be SP. I know you think that. I get it. I do.

So at what point would it be acceptable to call this bullshit? Because apparently this is just "launch", so it's not a big deal.

A week? A month? 3 months? Please let us know.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Y6QmtXy.png

Saw this, laughed. Then cried a little.

Renmyra

Has anyone had problems with trade depots? It worked fine just an hour ago, but now it refuses to import plastic for me.

JWong

Banned
I just can't reduce the air pollution. There's no other cities, so there shouldn't be air pollution blowing into my city.

It's causing me huge problems.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gamespot Review

I'm enjoying the game when I can actually play it, but I agree with every point.

I'm actually really interested in how sites handle the reviews for the game. Its pretty damn fun but there's nothing worse than a broken game. Some would say to wait till next week or whenever these issues are fixed for a more accurate view, but I feel like the role for reviews is to deliver a timely assessment of a game. If reviewers bomb the game now while its quite literally broken, will those reviews still hold up a week or two from now when/if things are rectified? Not really, but I guess I understand why Polygon is trying to take an active stance with changing scores.

Good on them. This game just sounds like a massive disappointment all around. Glad a few sites had the foresight to wait for a review.

RS4-

You can sell power and water to other cities in your region.

Just a note that you can only do this if the city next to you is occupied.

In Neotopia (don't remember the default region name), the region is split by the river, so each half is on their own. Unfortunately for me, there's 3 of us in one half, and I'm separated from the other two lol. So I can't share anything at all except bus tourists I think.

Shane86

If you get as far as building processor chips you start to get rich fast. They sell for $67000 for 10k. Plastic from recycling plant + alloy from a smelting plant is all it takes. Plastic wasn't being created fast enough at recycling plant though so I tried importing it and it's so expensive ($12000 per 10k) you'd be better off just leaving the processor plant idle for a while. Probably not as big an issue in cities with more residents and more recycling to collect. Can you tell I've been up til 6 a.m. playing this?

Lothars

So at what point would it be acceptable to call this bullshit? Because apparently this is just "launch", so it's not a big deal.

A week? A month? 3 months? Please let us know.
It's bullshit now and EA deserves to be called out for it but does it mean it will be bullshit in a week or a month? who knows but I doubt it will be.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
If you get as far as building processor chips you start to get rich fast. They sell for $67000 for 10k. Plastic from recycling plant + alloy from a smelting plant is all it takes. Plastic wasn't being created fast enough at recycling plant though so I tried importing it and it's so expensive ($12000 per 10k) you'd be better off just leaving the processor plant idle for a while. Probably not as big an issue in cities with more residents and more recycling to collect. Can you tell I've been up til 6 a.m. playing this?

I have the same setup but instead 2 recycling plants and a processor factory. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to import anymore but it is annoying that the plants shutdown around 4pm till 6am effectively being idle and draining cash. I try to keep the processor factory churning 24/7. Saving up for the Electronics Division as part of the Trade HQ -- only downside right now is that I'm bleeding 8-10k an hour, still in the green but it hurts. Pop was around 100k when I last was able to play 2 days ago.

RoKKeR

Really happy with my current city. My citizens are happy, smart, and healthy, and almost everything is going smoothly. (Other than traffic) I need to start expanding my trade empire, but I really need to learn more about how trade works.

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so hopefully things are sorted out by the time I'm back. It really is a great game I think underneath, we just need to get past this terrible launch.

Just a note that you can only do this if the city next to you is occupied.

In Neotopia (don't remember the default region name), the region is split by the river, so each half is on their own. Unfortunately for me, there's 3 of us in one half, and I'm separated from the other two lol. So I can't share anything at all except bus tourists I think.
Oh really? That's lame.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
Well, I have been able to play most of the night without any problems, except once. My city was on the brink and getting better, though it really sucks you can't upgrade high density streets to avenues without destroying all your buildings.... makes it hard once your city starts developing and traffic gets crazy.

BTW - The sports stadium ROCKS!

OchreHand

i was able to play tonight for four hours without any interruption. was amazing experience. took some screenshots that i'll share soon :)

Rubixcuba

Banned
Discovery Delta 2 people, I just joined the region finally !
Everything seems to be getting along pretty well, still a few empty spots will GAF regions reopen to allow new people to join ?

bedlamite

Had a processor chip plant fully maxed out and bringing in about $120k , and I was making tons of cash even though I was in the red at 4k per hour. These things bring mad profit.

Unfortunately the guy who runs my region reset the place so I'll have to start from scratch. :(

Uthred

So worth buying or no guys? I really want to play, but EA really sucks.

Assuming its working fine then yeah its very enjoyable, as the Gamespot review said (http://youtu.be/J9iolLV3wgM) apart from the server issues its possibly the pinnacle of the series. Personally I've had exactly zero server issues since it launched in the "Rest of Europe" 6 hours ago, so its been an entirely positive experience so far. Maybe hold of for a few days until server issues are mostly sorted (and Cheetah speed is back)

Uthred

So does a recycling plant not completely replace a garbage dump? I assume it did but those angry red bins popping up everywhere suggest otherwise

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So does a recycling plant not completely replace a garbage dump? I assume it did but those angry red bins popping up everywhere suggest otherwise

No it does not. Low-education will produce more garbage than recycling, high-education will produce more recycling than garbage, though. But neither ever completely goes away. Which is kind of realistic, actually. ;)

Top Bottom