• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

hittman

Banned
What do you guys profit in an hour?

in my heavily residential town i have 12k per hour (population around 25k)
in my commercial i only get about 2k (pop 75k)

18k? Damn, why so much?

Power: -2,568
Water: -2,500
Sewage: -1,410
Waste Disposal: -4,100
Government: -1,420
Fire: -1,275
Health: -5,200
Police: -8,500
Education: -3,750
Transportation: -5,260
Parks: -1,210
City Specs: -10,620

Residential (11% Tax): +25,993
Commercial (11% Tax): +902
Industrial (10$ Tax): +1,760

Total: -19,164

Monthly Transactions is +557,479 though.

brentech

I'm just surprised to keep a city alive long enough to get a university with engineering department. Now I'm actually stuck waiting on them to research vertical wind turbines because I've really used up about all the space I can afford on normal wind turbines.

Also only have 3 months worth of ore left under me, so I really need to find another source of income before long.

This one I started by building everything on medium density avenues. Nothing less. Slow start, but at least I didn't have to mow half the city over with almost cash on hand to rebuild it all like my 2nd attempt.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
does this not bother anyone else?

since when are cities funded from nationalized ore trading?

Ore.
Alloy.
Plastic.
Microprocessors.
TVs.

You know, all kinds of shit.

I'm currently on -13k, but I get 300k a month.

I need to evolve into Microchips, but I'm afraid the transitioning period will kill me dead.

RoKKeR

Its ok if you are still making a mill daily from trades. Education costs pile up and taxes stop mattering after abcertain point.
I still need to learn the ins and outs of trade, still haven't figured out how to completely optimize for it.

Also, how exactly does one "stockpile materials" and then unleash then for maximum profits per day?
Well if you have a trade center or port, there's an option like manage global deliveries. For any kind of storage you have there you have 3 options: import, export or local use only. So set whatever you want to export all at once to local use only until all your trade centers fill up, then switch them all to export. I imagine that's how you do it anyway, I haven't done it yet.

bedlamite

iKsvW7T.jpg

Fuckin EA

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, I got a piece of land that had Oil, Ore, and Coal, as well as a water edge.

I have built up 2 Trade Ports (with 2 Ship Docks), 1 large oil well, 1 coal mine, 2 ore mines, 2 Smelting plants, 2 Oil Refinery's, 3 processor plants and now 1 TV/Computer plant. Trading somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million a Month.

My regular budget is something like -$25 an hour. Think if the line is right, if I turned off all that specialized factories, that'd only save me 18-20K, still leaving me -5k.

Though if I got rid of all of that, I'd have 35-45% of my available land back :lol

Spookie

So I focused on tourism. Sorry that's a lie I focused on gambling but that is so broken that's a story for another time.

But everyone went to bed and didn't build any bus stops or train stations. My traffic is now SO GRIDLOCKED. There is a 20 minute queue to enter my city. This game is fucked. The AI on buses is beyond redeemable as well- why is there 20 buses all lined up behind a stop? The more I play of this game the more I find it to be an unmitigated disaster even from a design side.

Basically make processors, turn them in to computers and sell them by rail. That's the only way you can enjoy this game without getting kneecapped by the traffic.

DAT ADVANCED 1 CORE AI!

So I focused on tourism. Sorry that's a lie I focused on gambling but that is so broken that's a story for another time.

But everyone went to bed and didn't build any bus stops or train stations. My traffic is now SO GRIDLOCKED. There is a 20 minute queue to enter my city. This game is fucked. The AI on buses is beyond redeemable as well- why is there 20 buses all lined up behind a stop? The more I play of this game the more I find it to be an unmitigated disaster even from a design side.

Basically make processors, turn them in to computers and sell them by rail. That's the only way you can enjoy this game without getting kneecapped by the traffic.

Sounds about right.

This game is fucked. The AI on buses is beyond redeemable as well- why is there 20 buses all lined up behind a stop?

This thread over on Simtropolis might explain it.

My impression is that all agents are using the same pathfinding code. Remember that an agent is anything from a person walking, to a car, truck, power, water, and sewage.If this is the case then the best bet would be split vehicular pathfinding as a separate function with a slightly more advanced algorithm.

Here is the link to EA's GDC presentation on glassbox on agent and pathfinding

If your impression is correct then I'm totally blown away. How could vehicles not have a separate pathfinding algorithm? Call me naive but I have to believe this all worked at some point. Perhaps it is WAD but the players are simply don't understand it yet. If that's the case then how does this square those who claim this to be a "simplified" SimCity if something as quintessential as street design/layout and traffic management is so unintuitive and obscure?

Its actually MUCH worse than them just taking the shortest route, they also have no memory of where the live or where they work so they all are trying to take the most direct route to the closest available house (or job ect) Once that fills they all take the most direct route to the next available un occupied house. I confirmed this by building 2 residential areas, one a bit close to my industry and one a bit further. Every day all the cars would go to the first and when it all filled the would U turn and go toward the second. This is why all the busses follow each other, they are all trying to get to the same place.

So the Sims live and work at different places each day? That's extremely realistic.....

Its efficient, the only problem is they never taught the agents to communicate with each other. So you get this massive herding instinct. As each agent leaving a certain property (be it home, factory, school etc) is all trying to get to the nearest goal. You saw it in my Jude thread. Due to that lack of agent communication, the ideal of keeping zones separate from each other is actually a very bad thing. As the longer the herd is in the streets, the worse the traffic (foot traffic included) gets as herds run into other herds and it just builds and builds. (you can see this effect very easy by watching an elementary school let out, as the walking school kids all head to the closest house, then ping pong house to house till the mob of kids is devoured by houses). I guess agent communication just took too much processing power..i dunno.

I tested this out by trying to have a mixed zone city, as well balanced as I could (its hard to guess the populations needed exactly, due to not knowing exact pop,job, sales needed figures for each city. My mixed city is by far and way the most stable city I have, and one of the happiest. In fact the city is running at near 100 happiness whatever the heck that is. Though it was somewhat difficult early on with air pollution from mixed factories, but that stopped once I was able to get higher tech industry. Oh yea..and the city has next to nothing traffic wise.

tl;dr

The pathfinding AI is dumb as fuck.

Acorn

Kinda getting bored of the game. Minerals are game breaking, maybe its just because I always seen to join cities with abundant natural resources. But it's basically a win button, the budget will be out of wack but you'll take in loads of cash monthly. Traffic gridlock and pollution are the main problems but street cars + trade sea/rail Ports slightly fix that. Buses suck balls and do not help traffic atall.

Another thing why the fuck do emergency services obey traffic rules, no shit you can't get to my burning building when you stop at every bloody set of lights.

/rant

drizzle

Axel Hertz

To be fair, you don't really need more than one Train Station: Everybody will dump out of it and hop on a bus/street car/walk to their goal.

But yes, AI is dumb as fuck in this game.

Nobody was using my street cars. I guess the sims were used to going everywhere by a car.

I literally DOUBLED Street Car stops on every street. My Street Car usage jumped from 40k to 120k in like 3 days - suddenly, Street Car Stops were close enough for the sims to use them.

However, after a while, my Street Car route was horrible, taking 80 minutes for the street cars to arrive (sure, they were stopping every couple feet). I then rearranged the stops bu cutting everything back: wherever I doubled the stops, I demolished both and put one in the middle.

Since the sims were already used to using StreetCars, I guess they didn't bother that the street cars were a couple feet away: The wait went from 80 minutes to 30 minutes and usage went from 140k to 180k.

Pachael

tl;dr

The pathfinding AI is dumb as fuck.

In between rubbish trucks going in circles finding for trash to pick, and traffic in avenues still needing to find the next intersection before U-turning into the correct lane to access a building, yeah it's pretty dumb, though seeing the automata do it live this time around as opposed to SC4RH is pretty cool. I can see why it was hidden a bit the last time ;)

Memory issues aside, I do feel that the not great pathfinding is one of the reasons larger city sizes weren't used in the design - those little agents would get bottlenecked at every intersection and leave transit times too long for the Sims to get anything done. And of course, no elevated/underground public options, but that'll be the Rush Hour equiv DLC.

I think something got broken along the way as they were trying to patch stuff and fix servers at the same time.

Fire trucks used to go 1 at a time responding to calls, now they all go to the same spot. Same for ambulances. Whatever traffic changes they made in their patches seems to have completely fucked the service vehicle AI as well.

I'm guessing this is part of the reason for that new "Test" server.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
This is hilarious, can't access my cities on Oceanic 1 (haven't been able to for 4 days) so I went to Europe East 1 and spent a few hours building a new city. Took a small break, can't select Europe East 1 server. Nice.

roMonster

Seems like my trade depots are glitched. I have 3 set to export crude oil but only one of them does and the other 2 just stay full 100% of the time. I don't have an issue with traffic and it's ended up utterly stalling my progression as I can't upgrade my oil/trade HQs.

Make sure all your depots are set to export--you have to do it for each one.

In order to get my oil hq upgrade I had to hoard all my oil at my depots/wells and then start exporting at 12:01am. I just slipped in at 166k. :D

Pandemic

Does anyone find it extremely annoying when traffic all merge into the right/left lane, then block off other lanes, causing a major traffic jam..? They need to make a right/left turn lane or something..

fuck this disaster bullshit.
as im starting to recover from my nuclear meltdown, that garbage eating monster destroys my police headquaters, hospital and garbage dump.

(45mins real time later)

that motherfucker comes back and destroys my microchip plant, tradepost and recycling plant.

Koomaster

I think something got broken along the way as they were trying to patch stuff and fix servers at the same time.

Fire trucks used to go 1 at a time responding to calls, now they all go to the same spot. Same for ambulances. Whatever traffic changes they made in their patches seems to have completely fucked the service vehicle AI as well.

I'm guessing this is part of the reason for that new "Test" server.
Seriously fuck everything about this AI nonsense and traffic, it is literally destroying every city I play.

Just had a city where fire went completely out of control. I placed so many fire stations and upgraded them to max trying to contain things but it kept getting worse and worse and I had no idea why.

While doing a bulldozing run of all the latest rubble, in one far corner of my map I see no shit 2 dozen+ fire trucks driving back and forth on a tiny stretch of road while a building burned down in front of them. It was like they all got there, were confused on which one of them should be fighting the fire, so they kept driving up and down the road waiting to resolve who should fight the fire. When the building finally burned down, they all raced off to the next house on fire and repeated the same little dance.

The only way I was able to get the fire in my city under control was to build an airport; then plop fire fighting helicopter modules on the fire stations.

Btw if you are looking to have a fun stress relieving way to deal with traffic woes, Dr. Vu's Vubot once unleashed starts shooting cars with laser beams. May set a house or two on fire, but it's worth it to watch him run up and down the roads blowing up cars.

B-Dex

GAF World's (VW3 2.0) Space Centre is almost complete! Currently in the construction phase and no longer needs materials!

And after reading about that AI... wow. No wonder it's horrible. Not a big deal they go to the nearest house (still lame though) BUT, they should at least try to take alternate routes if the "shortest" one is clogged up. And it is hilarious to see a convoy of double decker buses rampaging my city streets.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GAF World's (VW3 2.0) Space Centre is almost complete! Currently in the construction phase and no longer needs materials!

And after reading about that AI... wow. No wonder it's horrible. Not a big deal they go to the nearest house (still lame though) BUT, they should at least try to take alternate routes if the "shortest" one is clogged up. And it is hilarious to see a convoy of double decker buses rampaging my city streets.

Every region I join, everybody just runs away after two days and I'm all by myself again.

sigh. Need to find some proper people to play with!

B-Dex

Every region I join, everybody just runs away after two days and I'm all by myself again.

sigh. Need to find some proper people to play with!

Well to be fair, I built it all myself haha. Fuel was so cheap to import I built 2 trade depots and just sent it on to the great work. More people finally moved into my part of the region though so their workers are helping to build it in phase 2.

Top Bottom