• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Bumhead

Banned
Loads of fun when it is all working. Many have issues with city size, but personally I don't mind it. I impulse-bought the game on Monday and despite the abysmal launch, have not once regretted it.

The game is fun as hell.

Yep, I've just caved in. Haha, thanks for the feedback.

I'm willing to give it a risk for £18. It's downloading quick too which is nice. I'm hopeful I won't end up with too many server woes.

RoKKeR

Yep, I've just caved in. Haha, thanks for the feedback.

I'm willing to give it a risk for £18. It's downloading quick too which is nice. I'm hopeful I won't end up with too many server woes.

Good choice. And by now, though I think some are still experiencing issues here and there, a lot has been sorted out.

Mii

Banned
I began to gentrify my city in hopes that higher wealth people would go work for the high tech in my city that was struggling. Instead I had a crisis where no one wanted to work at the sewage plant. I can't seem to get any workers, shoppers, or tourists into my city anymore since traffic started to drastically drop over the last day or so. I noticed alot of people were commuting out of my city so i started shutting down public transit in hopes they would stay and work. That at least got my sewage plant working again. I'm truly at a loss as to how to fix this. I have every person educated, i'm planting parks to increase land value, I have public transit of various forms, and I have no traffic issues. How on earth do I get people working? And where did the shoppers and tourists go?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I began to gentrify my city in hopes that higher wealth people would go work for the high tech in my city that was struggling. Instead I had a crisis where no one wanted to work at the sewage plant. I can't seem to get any workers, shoppers, or tourists into my city anymore since traffic started to drastically drop over the last day or so. I noticed alot of people were commuting out of my city so i started shutting down public transit in hopes they would stay and work. That at least got my sewage plant working again. I'm truly at a loss as to how to fix this. I have every person educated, i'm planting parks to increase land value, I have public transit of various forms, and I have no traffic issues. How on earth do I get people working? And where did the shoppers and tourists go?

You need all layers of workers to make a city run properly: Low Wealth, Medium Wealth and, to a lesser degree, High Wealth.

If everybody in your city is High Wealth, they won't work on the lower jobs: Nobody to run the Sewage Plant, for instance.

Lower Wealth jobs are the bigger part of jobs in a city, no matter how advanced everybody else is. Click on the population tab and then in Details, you'll see which layers you need.

Just bought off Origin India - how long did it take for you all to get it downloading? Still don't have anything in Order History and I only received a "Your Order Is Being Reviewed" email.

Bumhead

Banned
Just bought off Origin India - how long did it take for you all to get it downloading? Still don't have anything in Order History and I only received a "Your Order Is Being Reviewed" email.

I had to click "Reload My Games" under the "Origin" tab within the client itself. It was just there once I did.

Wes

venison crêpe
SDrJFEp.jpg

This doesn't look like a particularly safe place to live in my city.

CookTrain

One annoying problem, that's probably come up already, although it's admittedly minor compared to just about everything else. When you turn on the colourblind modes, the world becomes a lot easier to read, however the filter only applies to the game and not to, for example, the HUD overlay. So when I'm looking at the legend for land value, there's essentially no correlation.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have three recycling centers on my city, but I'm still ony getting 8750 of 11066 recyclables each day. One fourth of the city just is not attended by the trucks - it is, but only half the buildings.

Why in the hell is that?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If you have loads of trucks of any service and yet you still have problems the cause is almost always traffic.

But there's no traffic in my city, the trucks just stop doing their work at 12:00 PM

is that the hard limit for trash collecting?

that's why I kinda opened another treatment center on the other side of the city: So the trucks would get to the residential area faster.

I'll give like 1/3 of my trucks to the other cities, let's see what will happen next turn.

Nuklear

Banned
My city failed at 282.000 people. Its impossible to balance an even budget at this point. maybe you need some neigbourhood deals to make enough money to deal with the crap your sims want. I was raging so i destroyed half the city.

Once you reach that point your city will collapse just because you really need more space to add move revenue for your city.

I had to click "Reload My Games" under the "Origin" tab within the client itself. It was just there once I did.

Poop - not working for me. Also, every time I exit and login to Origin it gives me an "Account currently in use" notification. I haven't seen that ever. Hope I didn't get screwed.

Edit: Looks like users on Reddit are reporting it taking up to an hour for it to go through. I'll just assume the servers are getting hammered (har-har) with orders right now.

Jhriad

Nobody needs to be buying water from the neighbors: put a Advanced Facilities thing on your Mayor House or whatever the fuck is the name of that building (or somebody in your region), start a Sewage Treatment plant and watch the clean pure water pile underneath it.

Harvest it for infinite water.

Why waste the space & upkeep duplicating production that is already available elsewhere?

grkazan12

So I'm going to be jumping hack into this in a bit. The only problem is that I get kind of confused when I want to start a new game. I just really wanted a single player mode, but I think for the most part that's out of the question.

I don't really know what to do, don't have that many origin friends playing this at the moment, so should I join a game? Start a new piblic game? Or try to find a group of people to join on GAF?

Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips in this thread?

also my origin id is grkazan11, add me if you want to just make sure u send a msg saying ur from gaf or something of the sort

Ace 8095

Seems like a lot of people bought the game today from the India deal. We may need to start a region together. What do y'all think?

Calidor

neat idea. I'm still downloading the game (250mb only? wtf!) but if anyone is about to start a new NAEast-GAF region add my origin id: MegaKisuli

I'm a complete SimCity noob, never played one

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need a third recycling plant... not enough alloy and plastic being created for my two processor plants with 4 additional plants each. :p

beanman25

Really would like to buy it, but my debit card is in kahoots + I've never used origin.

how long do you guys think this deal will last?

zou

Been looking at the data the game sends back and it's fairly obvious that the game is run completely locally and that the game could have very easily had a single player without changing much at all (just run a local httpd).

Here's what they sent back just before quitting the game (batched):

eventId=SC_RULE_POPULATION&eventData=Resource:XXXX|Value:0
eventId=SC_UNIT_PLOP&eventData=Pos[509.99, -479.28, -711.78]
eventId=SC_REGION_LOAD&eventData=RegionID:XXX|BoxID:XXX
eventId=GB_BOX_START_GAME&eventData=game:0x408XXX!0x6XXX.prop|user:me
eventId=SC_ROAD_ADDED&eventData=roadType:1210846828|roadLength:348.77

eventId=SC_RULE_MISSION_STARTED
eventId=SC_RULE_MISSION_ENDED

So the game runs completely locally and the server isn't even needed for anything. The client just posts back a log with events that have happend. No response is needed or sent back. Also, considering that the game runs locally, any data/game loss is purely because SimCity takes your perfectly working save game and decides to fuck it up. Oh and not being to able to play because of server issues is also purely because Maxis wants it that way. They could just as easily let you play "locally" and keep a log to batch back whenever they get the servers working. Offline mode should also be possible as well, without changing the game. It's all already there.

So this is pretty much the exact opposite of Diablo 3. And yet, it performs way worse.

Brick

Is there a way to filter search results for joining a game? Or even just get rid of the ones that don't have any open city spots?

Been looking at the data the game sends back and it's fairly obvious that the game is run completely locally and that the game could have very easily had a single player without changing much at all (just run a local httpd).

So the game runs completely locally and the server isn't even needed for anything. The client just posts back a log with events that have happend. No response is needed or sent back. Also, considering that the game runs locally, any data/game loss is purely because SimCity takes your perfectly working save game and decides to fuck it up. Oh and not being to able to play because of server issues is also purely because Maxis wants it that way. They could just as easily let you play "locally" and keep a log to batch back whenever they get the servers working. Offline mode should also be possible as well, without changing the game. It's all already there.

So this is pretty much the exact opposite of Diablo 3. And yet, it performs way worse.

Didn't someone find out that the majority of the data being send to the server (and what ultimately caused the issues) was not actually game data, but rather repeated Auth requests.

In addition. Even in case where you wanted the region stuff, I doubt any reasonably specced machine would have trouble running it, considering that the core game only uses one core.

The whole 'this game can only be done online' was so much crap. It's clearly DRM and very crappy DRM at that. It was DRM that broke and continues to brake the game servers, not people actually playing the game.

RoKKeR

Yeah. I just started a 16 city region on NA East 3. My ID is Killer_Koala. If we want to start there let me know and I'll send some invites.
I think I'd be interested. Now that connection issues are mostly sorted out I'd like to join a region. Origin ID is RoKKeR_IV.

judhudson

I want to follow more of this (the modding of SimCity). Is there another place or website where modders hang out and research this stuff?

What did it send before quitting the game? That's what you should be looking at.

Why would you assume it needs to send everything when you quit?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How do I increase demand for Shops?

People on my city are complaining about no place to shop, but the demand is really low and when I do place them, they run out of bussiness?

Seems like my trade depots are glitched. I have 3 set to export crude oil but only one of them does and the other 2 just stay full 100% of the time. I don't have an issue with traffic and it's ended up utterly stalling my progression as I can't upgrade my oil/trade HQs.

Zafir

How do I increase demand for Shops?

People on my city are complaining about no place to shop, but the demand is really low and when I do place them, they run out of bussiness?
Is there any traffic issues, and are the shops of the same land value level?

Orbis

Yeah this just confirms what we strongly suspected. The more obvious evidence being that the game runs just fine for a while if you lose internet connection; exceptions being city interaction which could easily be emulated as you said, by a server running on your local machine. They could, relatively easily, implement offline play in future. It's both good news, and frustrating news.

Anyway, I still can't get onto the server that my Gaf region is on. I'll give it another few days, but I may be forced to pull out. If anyone has something going on a server which isn't permanently full, it would be nice.

Yeah this just confirms what we strongly suspected. The more obvious evidence being that the game runs just fine for a while if you lose internet connection; exceptions being city interaction which could easily be emulated as you said, by a server running on your local machine. They could, relatively easily, implement offline play in future. It's both good news, and frustrating news.

Anyway, I still can't get onto the server that my Gaf region is on. I'll give it another few days, but I may be forced to pull out. If anyone has something going on a server which isn't permanently full, it would be nice.

I'd wait for more info before saying it confirms anything.

Cels

Just got it and downloading now. I just got the SimCity launcher open and it's downloading stuff. How much of a wait am I in for?

I just sent 150k from one city to another city that was broke, the city is still stuck in pause mode and it isn't getting the money... great...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Definitely interesting hearing data like this coming from quite a few players, and while I do suspect it's the case, I'll wait for undeniable proof/confirmation as well. Such a revelation would be quite embarrassing given the statements we've received.

What Maxis can't do, despite fan requests, Bradshaw said, is simply strip out the always-online architecture of the game.

"With the way that the game works, we offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers so that the computations are off the local PCs and are moved into the cloud. It wouldn't be possible to make the game offline without a significant amount of engineering work by our team."

sangreal

I just sent 150k from one city to another city that was broke, the city is still stuck in pause mode and it isn't getting the money... great...

yeah its really annoying that you cant unpause when you know you have a windfall coming. You have to temporarily shut stuff down until you get back into the positive. Speaking of, I can never find the expense map when I want to turn everything back on

Definitely interesting hearing data like this coming from quite a few players, and while I do suspect it's the case, I'll wait for undeniable proof/confirmation as well. Such a revelation would be quite embarrassing given the statements we've received.

don't know what proof you would want besides the fact that you can play for 30+ minutes offline. All of the region interaction is server-side though (but I doubt it needs to be). To be fair, the game is clearly designed to be a persistent online game regardless of how the processing is handled

Top Bottom