• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

What do you guys profit in an hour?

in my heavily residential town i have 12k per hour (population around 25k)
in my commercial i only get about 2k (pop 75k)

$500K - 1,000,000

Gotta love exporting TV's, processors for top dollar. Built my way up from coal, ore, oil. Evolved into metals & alloys and then in to processor and thrn tvs and computers and now evolving into a high tech cleaner city. if you want to build industry, you have to manage your resources exports, local use, and importing @ your depots and ports.

Mik2121

So.... Anyone wanna join us at Europe West 4? We are 3 right now, but I wanna play with as many gaffers as possible.

I didn't create the area so you might have to add CovFan so he can invite you...

So I focused on tourism. Sorry that's a lie I focused on gambling but that is so broken that's a story for another time.

But everyone went to bed and didn't build any bus stops or train stations. My traffic is now SO GRIDLOCKED. There is a 20 minute queue to enter my city. This game is fucked. The AI on buses is beyond redeemable as well- why is there 20 buses all lined up behind a stop? The more I play of this game the more I find it to be an unmitigated disaster even from a design side.

Well obviously, just build a subway system, like most real cities who find themselves with the same problem.

Its actually MUCH worse than them just taking the shortest route, they also have no memory of where the live or where they work so they all are trying to take the most direct route to the closest available house (or job ect) Once that fills they all take the most direct route to the next available un occupied house. I confirmed this by building 2 residential areas, one a bit close to my industry and one a bit further. Every day all the cars would go to the first and when it all filled the would U turn and go toward the second. This is why all the busses follow each other, they are all trying to get to the same place.

Mother of god.....

Was this programmed in the 80s?

There are too many real world cities to name that began/continue to exist due to mining.

The local economy yes, but does the mayor build individual welding units and keep all the profits to subsidize the road system?

fuck this disaster bullshit.
as im starting to recover from my nuclear meltdown, that garbage eating monster destroys my police headquaters, hospital and garbage dump.

(45mins real time later)

that motherfucker comes back and destroys my microchip plant, tradepost and recycling plant.

It blows my mind you cant turn off disasters. Hardcore fans would spend DAYS locked up tinkering with stuff to make the perfect city.

Whats the point if a meteor will destroy everything?

Pyrogeek

It seems incredibly difficult to find a game to join. Every map I find is full when I use the 'Join Game' option since it seems to sort by created date rather than open slots.

Anyone have any tips?

I made a new region with 16 slots (15 now because of me lol) just PM me for an invite or add my origin ID ArecP. I'm pretty active as I'll jump on after work and play for a few hours.

Mik2121

Still space? I would join.
Yeah, AFAIK there's still a LOT of space. I don't know how to invite people and I'm at work now (2 hours and a half to go), but I can try to invite you afterwards. Or just add me and see if you can somehow join our region.

Pepboy

It blows my mind you cant turn off disasters. Hardcore fans would spend DAYS locked up tinkering with stuff to make the perfect city.

Whats the point if a meteor will destroy everything?

I believe this was done to discourage leaving the city running on pc overnight. Since many players would be tempted to do that to bring in a lot of money, you need large destructive events to keep bandwidth/server loads lower and maybe to preserve the local economies.

+Aliken+

Yeah, AFAIK there's still a LOT of space. I don't know how to invite people and I'm at work now (2 hours and a half to go), but I can try to invite you afterwards. Or just add me and see if you can somehow join our region.

Ok I think I added you as a Friend.
Searching for your region would be impossible as there are no search functions.

Wait I think I have you, did you accept my friend request?
Anyway now joining.

EDIT:
I will make an industrial city as I have claimed an area full of oil.

Blutonium

Just wanted to say that WHEN this game works, and despite lacking some basic features we were used to in previous Sim City games - it's still the best simulation game I've played in a long, looong time.

I'm hooked on it like crack!

Zeekaas

Speaking of alloy.
Im always running out of alloy for my processer chip plant.
Is it because my recycling plant doesn't have enough alloy to give?

I believe there are three ways to get alloy:

1. Recycling.
2. Building a smelting factory and smelt coal
3. Open a trade depot and built an alloy depot. Then import it with global trading.

UltraMav

I really enjoy the game when it's working properly, but the longer I play the more I feel that the tiny city size will mean that it won't keep me occupied for long. Maybe once the server issues get resolved and region-wide interactions are more reliable it won't hurt as bad, but so far I'm fighting a constant battle to not say "fuck it," and go back to SimCity 4 after I've bulldozed half of my town to add one new landmark for the third time.

Those action weren't sent during the game. They seems to sync every 5 minutes and I wasn't long enough in the city for that to happen. I put down some roads, zoned a bit and left. And those events were only posted before quitting.

And not sure what you mean with "getting it. Every request was initiated by the client and the http response consisted of the header only. Stuff like avatars, the json news feed, promo images etc irrelevant.

During gameplay I'm constantly getting feedback on other players cities, and it doesn't happen in 5 minute intervals.

Aah man i keep getting rollbacks its annoying to loose 20 min of work.
Gaf invite me or i can invite you playing with myself in one zone is boring.
Origin:blackwaterEl1te

Aargh simcity should learn from git and take snapshots every 5~10 min and update the server maps with that data. Instead what seems like continues updates.

I believe there are three ways to get alloy:

1. Recycling.
2. Building a smelting factory and smelt coal
3. Open a trade depot and built an alloy depot. Then import it with global trading.

i tried 1 and 3.
my recycling plant is producing 24tons of alloy a day.
it seems like the processing factory is always running out of alloy.
i'll try to import alloy at my import depot, hopefully that fixes the problem.

Zeekaas

I send you a friend request! Can you tell me the name of the region?

Bricky

Multiplayer-regions with random people in-game are hard to get into and often don't communicate, so I'd love to join a GAF-region.

I'll send you a friend request if you don't mind. :)

E: Welp, EU West 4 is full right now, that sucks.

B-Dex

Coalwood and the new space centre!

zBy5ZMS.jpg

4PbGYuH.jpg

JlK0Czr.jpg

8r8YNcB.jpg

(not on highest settings this computer I am on is old)

Hey, I'm looking to join someone's region or someone can hop on mine, I have regions in US West 2, East 4, Europe 2, and the Test server. Origin ID is ShotSkydiver.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I saved up 2 million and just bulldozed my entire gaf city. Time to start clean.

Apologies to anyone who may have been relying on me for some services. I gotta get on a plane now. Damn you always online!

foladar

I can't seem to claim a second city in my private region. Is there a special way to do it, or is it just bugged? Wanted to make another few cities over the next week, with two friends.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
It seems incredibly difficult to find a game to join. Every map I find is full when I use the 'Join Game' option since it seems to sort by created date rather than open slots.

Anyone have any tips?

I find this extraordinarily annoying as well.

Just seems like a bewildering design decision.

cripterion

Welp, my city in GAF region on Antartica server is bankrupt. Reactivated the schools cause business and industries were complaining that there weren't skilled workers, then I had a recycling problem. Popped up 2 bonds to build a recycling center and it's already full, producing plastic.
I have a no plastic storage facility and can't put one at all cause I don't have any room at all to place it, always get overlapping even though it would seem it could fit.

So sitting at 45k people, most of them are satisfied, but I ain't raking any money and if I increase the taxes for anyone beyond 10%, they all complain... I should be able to tax the wealthy residents well beyond 15% with all the parks and services I've built in lol.
Most of all, I feel all my problems could have been remedied, if I took my time when I was already in the red, and buit other zones, but this tiny map really kills it for me. Especially considering that 20% of the map is water.

Nero3000

Welp, my city in GAF region on Antartica server is bankrupt. Reactivated the schools cause business and industries were complaining that there weren't skilled workers, then I had a recycling problem. Popped up 2 bonds to build a recycling center and it's already full, producing plastic.
I have a no plastic storage facility and can't put one at all cause I don't have any room at all to place it, always get overlapping even though it would seem it could fit.

So sitting at 45k people, most of them are satisfied, but I ain't raking any money and if I increase the taxes for anyone beyond 10%, they all complain... I should be able to tax the wealthy residents well beyond 15% with all the parks and services I've built in lol.
Most of all, I feel all my problems could have been remedied, if I took my time when I was already in the red, and buit other zones, but this tiny map really kills it for me. Especially considering that 20% of the map is water.

Residents wont move out en-masse until around 15-20% tax.

I would put:
£ - 13 to 14%
££ - 11 to 13%
£££ - 9 to 10%

You wont gain any more residents in this tax structure. Another way is to put the £££ tax at 3%, to stimulate density growth, then put the tax back to 9% when you have the residents. Then do the same for ££.

zou

During gameplay I'm constantly getting feedback on other players cities, and it doesn't happen in 5 minute intervals.

No shit sherlock. I said nothing about multiplayer.

Also, how do you know when those events were received? Did you actually look at the data the game sends/receives?

For those of you looking for a nice region to join (I know this is a bit of a late response to some of you higher up on the page) Me and three other GAFers started a region last night and it is doing quite well. We are on NA East 4 and have plenty of room left if you would like to join.

My Origin ID is Banderk. I'll be on later today just send me a friend request.

Calmine

Well looks like my city is coming along nicely. Playing by my lonesome though, I know post often enough but I'd love to join some you guys. Origin - Calmine.

One little nuisance I've had is that I increase taxes to get more money for the demand of commerical and yet as soon as a reduce it down back to normal they start complaing of high-taxes!

sixthsense

Neo Member
So..the reddit region that I joined had been gone pretty much inactive. So if anyone in the same position as me want to start a new region or if there is a vacant place in existing region please add me. Origin - FatexFed . Thanks !

Hasney

I'm gonna start a region on the test server because I really don't enjoy parts of this game, but feel like I will once things start patching. ESPECIALLY traffic.

Anyone brave enough to join me on my noble quest of paying to beta test this game further?

Not really interested in the game, and I'm not sure if you guys can answer this since some features have been turned off, but.....

Is it possible to grief the towns of nearby players, by starting a town and filling it will polluting industry, thus ruining their experience? Or has the game been designed to stop this?

CzarTim

I have not been able to log into my VW #1 city since Wed. morning despite being able to log in elsewhere. I might need to abandon it and restart :(

Surfheart

I really enjoy the game when it's working properly, but the longer I play the more I feel that the tiny city size will mean that it won't keep me occupied for long. Maybe once the server issues get resolved and region-wide interactions are more reliable it won't hurt as bad, but so far I'm fighting a constant battle to not say "fuck it," and go back to SimCity 4 after I've bulldozed half of my town to add one new landmark for the third time.

That's how I'm feeling about it too. I'm trying to find the love, but I'm just not feeling it yet.

For me, presentation had been a big factor in Simcity. The older game's cities existed on square plots too, but the scale of those plots allowed for more organic and realistic looking cities that could have interesting geological features, soft edges, big forests, lakes etc.

The small square cities with their abrupt transition from gleaming office blocks to flat grassland just looks strange to me.

Definitely going to give it more time to see if it grows on me though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This thread over on Simtropolis might explain it.

tl;dr

The pathfinding AI is dumb as fuck.

So basically, the game needs the Network Addon Mod for the exact same reasons that Simcity 4 needs it, that being that the pathfinding sucks hardcore. Essentially, Maxis gave the new Simcity game the exact same (maybe even worse?) pathfinding that the previous ten year old Simcity game had? I would have thought they might had wanted to do a better job this time around...

Guess not.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the Glassbox engine though, doesn't it? And this time you can't use player made mods to fix the errors or laziness of Maxis either.

Top Bottom