• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Awesome! Very impressive considering the landscape you had to work with.
Wow, nice city.

I see that you are using a Nuclear plant to power your city, can you give us a radiation/health map?
Sure thing.
I'm not Rentahamster, but I've never had problems with Nuke Plant as long as you have a Community College being filled.

Yeah, nuclear is awesome. Just keep at least a college and you'll be fine.

More screens:

Health map, showing the only source of pollution (besides what's being blown in from neighboring cities), the electronics manufacturing.

Radiation map:

Misc shots without the UI:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/y1mgr

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Starting a new NeoGAF region on the Antarctica server! Sorry I've been away the last days. Now it's time to get this baby going! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Remember that you have to have logged on to the server (Antarctica) for me to be able to invite you to the region!

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune
  • Twinduct / Twinduct-RSA
  • izt_is / spyguy-aka-izt
  • fivehorizons / fivehorizons1

(list continuously updated!)

I'll join in.

Is everyone gonna play at least semi frequently? If so, I think it might be good to make a community thread for organizing stuff, since region wall sucks ass.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Trying to unlock medical department for my university. Any tips for getting those 2000 students in a day? Got 3 dorms and about 200k pop.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone else encounter these annoying things?

"We need parks" while there are parks within walking distance.

"No Shoppers!" when the building next to it is making lots of profit.

I guess I could bulldoze them. Take that complainers!

You get the we need parks thing if they try to shop and can't shop. Sims go to parks if they can't find a place to shop, so "we need parks" also means, "we can't shop enough", or that land value is too low for that particular wealth class.

As for "no shoppers", the sims do that herd mentality thing, so one shop could have all its good sold, while the shop right next to it doesn't because you ran out of shoppers right there.

For commercial zones, they have a minimal threshold of goods needed to be sold. If you meet it, they are neutral. If you exceed it, they gain happiness. If you don't meet it, they get sad.

Malik77

Neo Member
Starting a new NeoGAF region on the Antarctica server! Sorry I've been away the last days. Now it's time to get this baby going! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Remember that you have to have logged on to the server (Antarctica) for me to be able to invite you to the region!

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune

I don't I got a friend in invite and I can't seem to find you in the friends list. Try sending me another one.

Sydle

Trying to unlock medical department for my university. Any tips for getting those 2000 students in a day? Got 3 dorms and about 200k pop.

Shut down your other schools.

I have a population of 45,000 and have nearly 3,000 students attending a university with a dormitory, school of engineering, and a school of science.

EDIT: I should add that my population is mostly high wealth and my industrial is all high-tech. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Zing

Banned
Those screenshots really emphasize how out of scale the game is. Look at those office buildings. They hold more people than the residential units. Are people living in their office? Also, what city would have such huge office buildings all crammed into a small area with absolutely no urban sprawl?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Shut down your other schools.

I have a population of 45,000 and have nearly 3,000 students attending a university with a dormitory, school of engineering, and a school of science.

EDIT: I should add that my population is mostly high wealth and my industrial is all high-tech. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Hmm, I'll try it. I do have 4 grade schools, as well as a high school and college.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those screenshots really emphasize how out of scale the game is. Look at those office buildings. They hold more people than the residential units. Are people living in their office? Also, what city would have such huge office buildings all crammed into a small area with absolutely no urban sprawl?

Are you talking about mine? Those tall buildings you see are a mix of commercial and residential. I did a mixed use arrangement so that residents can have more options to walk to shop or to work. The really tall buildings are the trade and electronics HQ. I just put them wherever there was space.

HeliosT10

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune

I wouldn't mind joining a GAF game if you'll have me.

Origin ID is ianweb023

Jinroh

"Login is closed at this time. Please check back soon."

I should have NEVER bought this game. Twice I lost my town, and now I can't even connect at all. And I don't give a flying crap about multiplayer and online functions.

OchreHand

You get the we need parks thing if they try to shop and can't shop. Sims go to parks if they can't find a place to shop, so "we need parks" also means, "we can't shop enough", or that land value is too low for that particular wealth class.

At least with "this area needs some parks", it's a case of the land value being lower than its inhabitants. If you have §§ inhabitants, and remove parks, and the land value goes down to §, then it's not downgraded automatically, and they get pissed.

I had a hunch it was relating to land value since as I was doing some 'housekeeping' on my city I did bulldoze a park right next to a $$$house -- but I figured the $$$park some steps away would suffice. I guess the radius of that park is too small.

Speaking of parks...one thing that I would love Maxis to change is the ability for parks to turn the grass greener around it. It looks weird to see a park surrounded by a lot of brown.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I had a hunch it was relating to land value since as I was doing some 'housekeeping' on my city I did bulldoze a park right next to a $$$house -- but I figured the $$$park some steps away would suffice. I guess the radius of that park is too small.

Speaking of parks...one thing that I would love Maxis to change is the ability for parks to turn the grass greener around it. It looks weird to see a park surrounded by a lot of brown.

You can check the land value by pressing F7, which is the land value data layer overlay. The land value should match or exceed the wealth value of the sims living on it. Otherwise unrest ensues.

If you want more green, you can try to plop some trees. Scroll to the end of the $$ nature parks tab.

someone posted this around launch, but there was a pic of all the regions and how the 16-city regions are divided up to 4 sections, and a city cannot send service/money to another city if they are not in the same subgroup.
but i do believe the only region where all the cities are interconnected is Reflection Atoll.
its only 7 cities though but at least with 7 cities interconnected, thats 3 more cities you can share resources with instead of the larger regions with 16. and of course only one great works site.

i'd actually like to build a city at Reflection Atoll.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
someone posted this around launch, but there was a pic of all the regions and how the 16-city regions are divided up to 4 sections, and a city cannot send service/money to another city if they are not in the same subgroup.
but i do believe the only region where all the cities are interconnected is Reflection Atoll.
but its the only 7 cities though but at least with 7 cities interconnected, thats 3 more cities you can share resources with instead of the larger regions with 16. and of course only one great works site.

i'd actually like to build a city at Reflection Atoll.

Yeah, I really wish that the highways were more connected. You might as well be playing in a 4 person region, with the way clusters work at the moment.

Pachael

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune

Happy to join now that I've gotten used to how the game is played. Also paying the freebie Most Wanted at the same time ;) Origin: PachaelD

izt_is

Banned

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune

Thanks a MILLION Septimius :)

Excited to be in my first GAF region!

Should I look for an invite on the Antarctica server...or? Thanks again =D

Is the European DLC worth it? I've seen some images of the game going around and what I don't like is everything looks West Coast-y: the buildings don't build up against the street, houses with massive lawns and backyards etc. Are there more urban looking building styles without the DLC?

I don't have any particular interest in Euro architecture I mainly want to build Canadian or Northeastern American style cities.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is the European DLC worth it? I've seen some images of the game going around and what I don't like is everything looks West Coast-y: the buildings don't build up against the street, houses with massive lawns and backyards etc. Are there more urban looking building styles without the DLC?

I don't have any particular interest in Euro architecture I mainly want to build Canadian or Northeastern American style cities.

To be honest, I don't even notice it very much. I just wanted the double decker buses to carry more people. Too bad buses are buggy and suck ass :/

brentech

Just bulldozed my entire city. It was gridlocked with traffic.
I waited until my university unlocked the solar power arrays. I might just sit on it for a while and hope traffic issues get further resolved, I dunno.

Letting my PC download battlefield 3 tonight from the free offer, and maybe I'll play that until I feel like I can do something and not be totally ham-stringed.

Did they fix the traffic and garbage collection problems yet? If so, I'm down for a region. I had to stop after I got disillusioned with how they were handing the simulation.

You don't notice it? Is SC2013 not like SC4D where you can select the particular building/architecture style?

Right - in my opinion the packs aren't worth it because of how you enable the building style. To do so requires building a $550,000 landmark in your town - once that is built, over time future buildings will start to be built in the European style of the landmark, starting with any new buildings built close to the landmark.

Did they fix the traffic and garbage collection problems yet? If so, I'm down for a region. I had to stop after I got disillusioned with how they were handing the simulation.
Traffic is...improved, but not totally fixed. And the Recycling Centers are still broken.

izt_is

Banned
Can someone please be so kind as to send me an invite for the Region:

GAF - string:name

on the Anarctica server?

Thank you :)

Septimius

Still room on our Antarctica GAF region! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Members:
  • Me (duh) / claimed
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k / claimed
  • Sousanator / GAS25x / claimed
  • Malik77 / Malikah77 / friended - invite sent - if you haven't got it, you can probably claim some land
  • Dougald / Dougald / claimed
  • masud / dafortune / claimed
  • Twinduct / Twinduct-RSA / claimed
  • izt_is / spyguy-aka-izt / friend request sent
  • fivehorizons / fivehorizons1 / claimed
  • callhitman / tj662 / friend request sent
  • Pachael / PachaelD / not found on server
  • Kabouter / Kabbles / claimed
  • frontieruk / frontieruk / claimed
  • Gandie / LeadGandie / not found on server
  • Rentahamster / Rentahamster / claimed
  • NecroRamone / Necro_Ramone /

7 unclaimed spots left

Gandie

Can't load a single city of mine. i have 5 different ones spread out across 3 servers. This is really frustrating.
Will they recover to a playable state?

Kabouter

Still room on our Antarctica GAF region! Sorry I've been away the last days. Now it's time to get this baby going! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune
  • callhitman / tj662
  • Pachael / PachaelD

I'll take a spot, Kabbles on Origin.

frontieruk

Still room on our Antarctica GAF region! Sorry I've been away the last days. Now it's time to get this baby going! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Members:
  • Me (duh)
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k
  • Sousanator / GAS25x
  • Malik77 / Malikah77 <- can't find you on the server. Have you been online on the server?
  • Dougald / Dougald
  • masud / dafortune
  • callhitman / tj662
  • Pachael / PachaelD
  • Kabouter / Kabbles

please

Origin : Frontieruk

Septimius

Sent a friend request

EDIT: Invited to region. Remember, if you don't get the invite, you can probably still claim land in the region

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol Kabouter at your "Poor Design" city.

I actually played that map in a previous region. Use the hills as a tunnel to make some traffic bypasses and save space at the top. If the road goes under the hill, you can use the space you save to build stuff.

Kabouter

lol Kabouter at your "Poor Design" city.

I actually played that map in a previous region. Use the hills as a tunnel to make some traffic bypasses and save space at the top. If the road goes under the hill, you can use the space you save to build stuff.

Yeah, I've only really played flat maps, so I was intentionally going crazy with bridges and stuff just to mess around :D
I'll probably redesign at a later point and make good use of tunnels etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, I've only really played flat maps, so I was intentionally going crazy with bridges and stuff just to mess around :D
I'll probably redesign at a later point and make good use of tunnels etc.

Here's my city on that map to give you some ideas.

The use of tunnels enables me to make intersection-less traffic bypasses, as well as conserve space to use for buildings. Using bridges over water allows me to save space by using otherwise unusable land. Putting winding roads on bridges serves the same purpose. You can't build normal stuff on steep hills, so you might as well put the land to some use by building a road, or building wind turbines on them.

Here is a video, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKPsU8eYMk&feature=youtu.be

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The overpasses and tunnels also enabled me to create a streetcar path that went around my whole city without intersecting itself. This made the wait go way down for my streetcars, since they only had one direction to go.

Can't believe people are still going nuclear. It's such a bad idea in this game. Tons of random disasters + meltdown = wasteland. There's no fixing it. Pollution in this game is such a non-issue, there's no reason not to just use oil/coal.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am sacrificing the well being of my city to try and get it to look like Neo-Tokyo. I was doing well, getting to 40k population and climbing. Then I realized that the tallest buildings are the high wealth ones, so I started jacking up the land value everywhere. No I have destroyed a LOT of residential tryingto get it up and it is kinda working. So now, I am sitting at 20k population. Also, a meteor shower and lizard attack kinda hurt me a bit as well lol

edit: few pics

8576435859_6e5625bc6a_h.jpg

8576435891_76eff452f3_h.jpg

8577534584_8dbf21544e_h.jpg

Septimius

Still room on our Antarctica GAF region! If you want to join the region, post in this thread or pitch me a PM.

Members:
  • Me (duh) / claimed
  • _tetsuo_ / Shima2k / claimed
  • Sousanator / GAS25x / claimed
  • Malik77 / Malikah77 / friended - invite sent - if you haven't got it, you can probably claim some land
  • Dougald / Dougald / claimed
  • masud / dafortune / claimed
  • Twinduct / Twinduct-RSA / claimed
  • izt_is / spyguy-aka-izt / friend request sent
  • fivehorizons / fivehorizons1 / claimed
  • callhitman / tj662 / friend request sent
  • Pachael / PachaelD / friend request
  • Kabouter / Kabbles / claimed
  • frontieruk / frontieruk / claimed
  • Gandie / LeadGandie / not found on server
  • Rentahamster / Rentahamster / claimed
  • NecroRamone / Necro_Ramone / not found on server