• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

traffic remains terrible

bus "trains" everywhere

traffic @ a standstill at stop lights

fire trucks still not acting right

still no cheetah speed.

they were better off delaying the damn game until fall man... wtf

Fenror

Neo Member
traffic @ a standstill at stop lights
image.php

Anyone else get affected by the recycling center bug?

Urgh, every time I find something to like about this game, I find 3 things to hate about it!

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother with this shit anymore until:

- Traffic is actually fixed
- Police/fire/garbage/recycling collection is fixed
- Cheetah mode is back
- Regional sharing is fully functional

And that's at a minimum.

izt_is

Banned
sorry about that, izt_is. The invites seem shakey at best. I found you on the server, and I have a friend-request pending, but SimCity seems to be very selective about... actually working.

Hope you find a nice region, and I'll be sure to keep you posted if I make more :)

Thanks Septimius! Appreciate it.

What's your Origin ID btw?

Orlandu84

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother with this shit anymore until:

- Traffic is actually fixed
- Police/fire/garbage/recycling collection is fixed
- Cheetah mode is back
- Regional sharing is fully functional

And that's at a minimum.

I completely agree. I have been thinking about putting the game on hold for a few days now. The more I played the game, the more I found myself frustrated or bored with it. I keep comparing SimCity with Diablo 3, and Diablo 3 keeps coming out ahead! I played Diablo 3 for over 80 hours before I got bored with it and had to take a break. I played SimCity for less than 30 and I am ready for a break. I really hope they fix the game because it could be such a great one. Time to catch up on my Steam backlog I guess.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Enough of this fucking goddamn game for today (and a while).

From zero to earning 5 million a day. Gotta sell those goddamn TVs.

I already researched the Space Station. It should be open for everybody now. Also researched improved Wind turbines.

I really wish we could coordinate which grand project we want on each region. Oh well.

Phreaker

VW3 folk, I have not given up. I wanted to rebuild so I taxed and bulldozed. Then I got real sick, ended up having surgery and shit. I should be back to my city soon. Hopefully people are still playing. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sooo if I get on another computer and log in, my city stuff should all still be there, right? No need to transfer saves since it's always online?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sooo if I get on another computer and log in, my city stuff should all still be there, right? No need to transfer saves since it's always online?

Yep, in some cases if you quit too early the game will prompt that it's syncing with Origin cloud saves when you hit quit the game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game has been terrible for me all day. Really bad lag, crashes all over the place, crazy ass sound glitching while I did get to play for that little while today. I was trying to get in on some Cities XL, which is pretty cool, but it really kinda bland.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You know, as much as Maxis touted the multiplayer aspects of this game, and while they are really cool in concept, in practice they suck ass.

There is little social aspect of the game if the game's own goddamn chat client lags all to hell and interaction between players is hardly noticeable or meaningful at all.

I think this is a textbook case of shoehorning a mulitplayer design into a traditionally single player focused game, and causing the entire project to suffer as a whole.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
You know, as much as Maxis touted the multiplayer aspects of this game, and while they are really cool in concept, in practice they suck ass.

There is little social aspect of the game if the game's own goddamn chat client lags all to hell and interaction between players is hardly noticeable or meaningful at all.

I think this is a textbook case of shoehorning a mulitplayer design into a traditionally single player focused game, and causing the entire project to suffer as a whole.

/begin rant

Agreed as I ate up all the pre-release info we were told and now having built a few cities with friends in a region it feels mediocre at best. The chat is just boring with uninformative notifications, I mean they could of included some sort of voice chat and proper notification system rather than "text" chat.

The regional interaction is limited where everything is faked when cities are connected, I can send resources or simoleons sure but with all the damn lag issues we still face has there's no point, even building a great work seems like a hassle. We&#8217;ve created a dynamic supply and demand model for trading by keeping a Global Market updated with changing demands on key resources. -- nice try Maxis.

I feel like I'm just in a silo while my friends are in one too and all we can do is chat and not really do much beyond that and not have a proper impact on each other and since everyone's buildings pretty much are the same, I don't feel unique at all. How about each city can be themed a certain way? Naming bridges/highways, regional events, seasons, etc. Yes, I know boat loads of DLC *sigh*

If Maxis actually spent more time testing their game I probably wouldn't care about the server issues but we're at patch "1.7" yet it still feels like I'm playing a Beta build while Maxis at turtle speed spits out tweaks leaving other game breaking bugs for "another" time. I mean SimCity is a basically an MMO right? So I expected more frequent and larger patches post-release, you know like a serious MMO.

As for the whole cloud saving thing, it is horrible with all the rollbacks and cities I've lost and plainly rage inducing. I went from loving Maxis to now extremely skeptical of their motives and wary of what they say and release from now especially with their GM showing truly how they operate. The whole free game thing, I couldn't care less (classic smoke and mirrors PR move) -- just fix your damn game Maxis and stop making excuses like a normal game developer would.

/end rant

Kabouter

Ummm, how the fuck is this happening?

lmao this game...

Yeah, it's a bug related to public transport, brings in essentially unlimited visitors. I share other sentiments here, I can't see myself playing (much) anymore until they properly patch it. The issues are too annoying. Building a properly functioning city rather than just messing around isn't worth it until they do patch all the major flaws.

Mode8

Banned
What sucks is that you can't join any public regions, nor have anyone join one you started. I'm new to Origin and don't really have any friends playing this game.

I want to be part of EA's "vision" for this game, but they broke off the piece that lets me.

Update 1.8

Update 3/22/2013 - Update 1.8

General
Police station can no longer hold more prisoners than the capacity.
Added missing roof texture for certain commercial building.
Added completion moment cinematic for Great Works.
Visiting police cars have avatar of neighbor above them.
Arcology Population reflects the population of the Arcology, not the city.
Fixed a clog in the pipes where sewage would sometimes get backed up and act jittery.
Region Wall will pop up when a new chat message has been received.

Road Improvements
Improvements to cases when connecting a new road to an existing road that goes over uneven terrain.
Tuned some of the road snapping priorities to address some edge cases where it wasn&#8217;t behaving as desired
Fixed a case where a new road would sometimes cause an existing road to change its shape drastically.
Made Upgrade Roads mini-tutorial appear at appropriate time.
Fix to four lane bridge to improve divider line placement.

Text Improvements
Clarified alerts about residents not moving in because of high taxes to state if it is residents, commercial businesses, or Industry that won't move in because of high taxes.
Improved text and icons on cities in region view.
Updated text for "Become a Suburban City" mission to improve clarity.
Updated requirements text for HazMat garage for clarity.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
/begin rant

Agreed as I ate up all the pre-release info we were told and now having built a few cities with friends in a region it feels mediocre at best. The chat is just boring with uninformative notifications, I mean they could of included some sort of voice chat and proper notification system rather than "text" chat.

The regional interaction is limited where everything is faked when cities are connected, I can send resources or simoleons sure but with all the damn lag issues we still face has there's no point, even building a great work seems like a hassle. We&#8217;ve created a dynamic supply and demand model for trading by keeping a Global Market updated with changing demands on key resources. -- nice try Maxis.

I feel like I'm just in a silo while my friends are in one too and all we can do is chat and not really do much beyond that and not have a proper impact on each other and since everyone's buildings pretty much are the same, I don't feel unique at all. How about each city can be themed a certain way? Naming bridges/highways, regional events, seasons, etc. Yes, I know boat loads of DLC *sigh*

If Maxis actually spent more time testing their game I probably wouldn't care about the server issues but we're at patch "1.7" yet it still feels like I'm playing a Beta build while Maxis at turtle speed spits out tweaks leaving other game breaking bugs for "another" time. I mean SimCity is a basically an MMO right? So I expected more frequent and larger patches post-release, you know like a serious MMO.

As for the whole cloud saving thing, it is horrible with all the rollbacks and cities I've lost and plainly rage inducing. I went from loving Maxis to now extremely skeptical of their motives and wary of what they say and release from now especially with their GM showing truly how they operate. The whole free game thing, I couldn't care less (classic smoke and mirrors PR move) -- just fix your damn game Maxis and stop making excuses like a normal game developer would.

/end rant

Agreed. I think what really kills me is how they had to completely fuck up RCI balance in order fake a working city. I'm not sure if they did that for the game to be easier, or because the agent system completely fucks everything up, but I don't really see how it can be the latter.

I'm not sure how big of a deal it is for others, but for me, the fact that RCI is completely meaningless in this game is quite saddening. I also feel that specialization tuning is still off, and that the whole system needs work, if not a complete overhaul. One point in particular, is how trade buildings will function just fine without any workers, thus making it completely disconnected from having a properly functioning foundation of a city to base it in.

I'd like to talk with whoever was in charge of gameplay mechanics and tuning, because a lot of the intricacy of the simulation was trashed in order to give us an illusion of intricacy in this game. Not to say the agent system itself isn't complex. It is. But they did not properly integrate the new simulation engine into the previous core gameplay fundamentals of previous SimCity titles, IMO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder what Michael McCormick and Joseph Knight are doing nowadays and how they feel about the new SimCity. I'd love to hear their opinions on it.

These last patch notes makes me think that they skipped the whole testing/quality assurance part of the dev cycle.
Such things should not be fixed after you release a game. :(

I'm so sad with the state of the game, whenever I log on I just create a new city on sandbox so I can create good looking cities not worrying about making everything work on them, just because the game is still fundamentally broken.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Big bummer about those notes: bug where your service vehicles are destroyed forever if you demolish a road they are on is still not fixed yet :/

eroots

Agreed. I think what really kills me is how they had to completely fuck up RCI balance in order fake a working city. I'm not sure if they did that for the game to be easier, or because the agent system completely fucks everything up, but I don't really see how it can be the latter.

I'm not sure how big of a deal it is for others, but for me, the fact that RCI is completely meaningless in this game is quite saddening. I also feel that specialization tuning is still off, and that the whole system needs work, if not a complete overhaul. One point in particular, is how trade buildings will function just fine without any workers, thus making it completely disconnected from having a properly functioning foundation of a city to base it in.

I'd like to talk with whoever was in charge of gameplay mechanics and tuning, because a lot of the intricacy of the simulation was trashed in order to give us an illusion of intricacy in this game. Not to say the agent system itself isn't complex. It is. But they did not properly integrate the new simulation engine into the previous core gameplay fundamentals of previous SimCity titles, IMO.

I agree as well.. This so called simulation is about as deep as a kiddies pool it seems... I'd like to hope they can fix a lot of this in a patch, but I don't think that will happen because it's probably their 'vision' for the game and the way they want it.. Also, like you said, RCI doesn't mean anything in this game.. and I don't find any challenge in playing it anymore... Hopefully they will do a proper patch adding a classic/hard mode or at least fixing RCI so it actually means something, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Big bummer about those notes: bug where your service vehicles are destroyed forever if you demolish a road they are on is still not fixed yet :/

wow.
maybe that's why my recycling is so low.
i've been destroying them by demolishing roads many times.
14k recycled bins out of 60k per day.
which is causing a lot of ground pollution.

Acorn

I check this thread every couple of days to see if cheetah speed is back, each time I'm amazed to see that they STILL have not enabled it.

You couldn't make this shit up, fix your shit maxis.

/sigh

Atleast bioshock is out soon, I'll play football manager until then.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Another mediocre update. Seriously, STILL no cheetah speed?!

I do understand they'll have different teams working on issues but yes, for patch 1.8 and nearly 18 days since launch what have some people been doing? Holidays? I hold Maxis more accountable than EA, since like Maxis are the developers. By this rate we'll have the major bugs sorted probably in a few months...

OchreHand

gawd damn. that's a serious bug.

i'm someone that likes to redesign parts of my city. i guess the option is to check if there are any vehicles on the road? that seems tedious, though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
gawd damn. that's a serious bug.

i'm someone that likes to redesign parts of my city. i guess the option is to check if there are any vehicles on the road? that seems tedious, though.

Sometimes I like to demolish my entire city and start over from scratch, but before I do anything, I close down everything first, and wait a while, to make sure there are no service vehicles on the road. Shit be tedious.

Top Bottom