• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Aaron

I agree, but it also shouldnt be getting a 0 or a 3 because youre pissed off with launch day glitches. Its supposed to be a review of the game in general, those scores will still be there in a week or two when the server issues which are the cause of them could be (likely will be) entirely gone.
Most people demand reviews on launch day from professionals, and call ones written a week or two after too late. Why should user reviews follow a higher standard? EA isn't new to this dance. They've done this shit before, with the emphasis on shit. They should have been prepared, and don't get a pass for screwing it up yet again.

Nibiru

Banned
Most people demand reviews on launch day from professionals, and call ones written a week or two after too late. Why should user reviews follow a higher standard? EA isn't new to this dance. They've done this shit before, with the emphasis on shit. They should have been prepared, and don't get a pass for screwing it up yet again.

I agree but the developers of the game did a good job so crapping on their game because of Origin issues is not right because as we have seen in the past is that all those things get fixed in short order.

Give the game a 7 then with 2 points for server problems at launch but to give it a really low score especially a game as good as this is just lame.

Again, created the region for Discovery Delta 2 people but there are some changes. Now using the Europe West 1 Server and the name of the region is Neotopia Delta, not that it matters given the invite only nature. Name is ricochetguro so shoot me a message on origin.
Awesome, thanks will be contacting you.

The OP should be adding info to the OP indicating the server and who to contact for every group! This was hard to find, I had to search every post page for Discovery Delta 2.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No, is childish because you rate the game for what you want, not for what the game try to accomplish.

Again, your complaint are right/correct, but you can't scattle a game so well made.

It's not like they're paid professionals trying to write to as general of an audience as possible. They're just fans letting other fans know why they are upset, and it's up to the reader to decide if they bring up things they care about. It doesn't matter why the developer chose to go with a small city, if people that currently own it are upset about that part, there are going to be people that have not yet bought this that would be upset about that same exact stuff and they deserve to know.

It's certainly enough of a concern for me to hold back and see how the community digests this over the coming days. I love Sim City for the creative aspect, not the gameplay aspect. If it wasn't for the creative aspect I would have hated all previous Sim City games too. At the very least, those types of reactions have let me known that if I buy this game, it's not going to be because I like other Sim City games, and that's a valuable service to have.

This info has been around for awhile, people's fault for not doing research before buying games. MAXIS has already said they will prolly allow bigger cities and terraforming down the road. Always online is here to stay on big releases so get used to it.

Well this is my first time hearing of these issues personally. It seems like the release of the game is as good of a time as any to bring these issues back up. I'm sure there was probably people back then saying "don't complain before the game is even released" too, so when is the right time to complain?

Pandemic

evilhomer

The OP should be adding info to the OP indicating the server and who to contact for every group! This was hard to find, I had to search every post page for Discovery Delta 2.

No worries it was just kind of thrown together last night since we were the only two on. Looking forward to seeing more people join in :)

For Discovery Delta #2 (Neotopia Delta)

The City Hall upgrades benefit the whole region so we can try to spread them out and make sure we get them all covered as they come.

Finance
Education - rico
Tourism
Transportation
Health and Safety
Utilities - evilhomer14

Stasis

Alright, I ran Lancaster Pointe like 3 times. I failed pretty damn hard the first time, decently hard the second time, and by attempt #3 I was doing OK. Once I started stockpiling dat oil...

That plot is definitely made for multiplay. Just not enough room at all the way it's made. Really just an oil rich money maker. Anyway, I'll be ready for region invite some time tonight!

It's not like they're paid professionals trying to write to as general of an audience as possible. They're just fans letting other fans know why they are upset, and it's up to the reader to decide if they bring up things they care about. It doesn't matter why the developer chose to go with a small city, if people that currently own it are upset about that part, there are going to be people that have not yet bought this that would be upset about that same exact stuff and they deserve to know.

It's certainly enough of a concern for me to hold back and see how the community digests this over the coming days. I love Sim City for the creative aspect, not the gameplay aspect. If it wasn't for the creative aspect I would have hated all previous Sim City games too. At the very least, those types of reactions have let me known that if I buy this game, it's not going to be because I like other Sim City games, and that's a valuable service to have.

And this is a good point of view, but you are a smart guy, I don't have so much faith in the rest of peoples who maybe look a those bad scores and pass without really thinking about it.

In fact I think this kind of reviews are not useful at all.

I love both the aspect of Sim City, but when I built a perfect scale of a city I also want to see how things work for the citizen, and this is the first game that it does so in a such accurate way. Watching your city come to life is exciting like build a massive region in Sim City 4. At least for me... and by me I mean a very long time fan.

trinest

Agreed, expecially for players waiting for their local launch this would be useful.

Zeknurn

I'm currently playing with a few friends in a region on NA East and I'm surprised how I haven't experienced any queues or server issues at all. Hopefully it will stay this way or I'll go back to playing on Europe.

One of the most annoying features is the lack of undo which has screwed me over several times. For instance, I was placing a train station next to an avenue, the game said everything was going to be fine but it ended up 20 meters above the avenue making the road not connect to the avenue.

I agree but the developers of the game did a good job so crapping on their game because of Origin issues is not right because as we have seen in the past is that all those things get fixed in short order.

Give the game a 7 then with 2 points for server problems at launch but to give it a really low score especially a game as good as this is just lame.

Isn't it more so important that the real issues are called out given what's currently happening with Dead Space and that team there?

Currently, because of the issues involved with this game I, and everyone one I know are simply not buying it.

Ostinatto

still cant download the game. i pre-ordered the game 4 days ago, now i want my money back...

RT77prr.jpg

I have learned my lesson.. no more origin.

Ghost23

The City Hall upgrades benefit the whole region so we can try to spread them out and make sure we get them all covered as they come.

Finance
Education
Tourism
Transportation
Health and Safety
Utilities - evilhomer14

I went ahead and did utilities for better water and sewage treatment. Fill in the blanks as your hall gets upgraded and we can share the benefits :D

The same will go for university upgrades as well.

edit: I think education or transportation would be good for the next ones :)

I'll do education if that's not taken. That's what I was planning on starting with.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Finance
Education
Tourism
Transportation
Health and Safety
Utilities - evilhomer14

I went ahead and did utilities for better water and sewage treatment. Fill in the blanks as your hall gets upgraded and we can share the benefits :D

The same will go for university upgrades as well.

edit: I think education or transportation would be good for the next ones :)

I want Finance. I shall rule over the capitalist world.

If some of the Discovery Delta 2 peeps who plan on playing for a bit want to get on so I can invite them I'd appericiate it. Want to take a nap but can't because the people coming in wouldn't be able to join the server :D Wish you could invite without the people having to be in game.

Xane

Why can no company get server loads right? Is it really that hard?

The load peaks in the first few days and quickly goes down by a LOT over the following days or weeks.
The required infrastructure to properly support the load in the first two days is way too expensive and it's gonna be obsolete in the following weeks anyway.

evilhomer

I'll do education if that's not taken. That's what I was planning on starting with.

Ricochet already got it since it seemed like one of the more useful early ones. Will try to keep a list updated as they are built.

edit: Nobody has mentioned going for universities though so if you wanted to go in that direction that would be great :)

Hip Hop

Someone is selling an Origin code on Ebay for $45, but they have zero feedback.

Kind of tempted..

seems like my only shot left to get it at a low price during release.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It sounds like another online-only launch day disaster. Once they iron out the servers and the hiccups, I'll dive in. But it's silly that they still can't get this stuff right.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Did you buy it in NA though? I'm starting to think my Indian purchase might have locked me to the Indian release date.

Pretty sure the keys are locked to your physical region, I got an NA key and had to use a VPN to get in.

fritolay

Just popped in to see how people liked the game.

I had problems with BF3 at launch on the 360 and was not happy at all. I am glad I was not in a rush to get this game.

Ostinatto

Did you buy it in NA though? I'm starting to think my Indian purchase might have locked me to the Indian release date.

yup NA origin, also the game appear in the store as " available for download ", maybe if i buy the game again i will get it immediately?

but no, i'm done with this.

Looks like that always-online really worked, right guys?

For those of you who have played it, how is the game? Can you avoid randoms and just invite people on your friend list?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just popped in to see how people liked the game.

I had problems with BF3 at launch on the 360 and was not happy at all. I am glad I was not in a rush to get this game.

I think it is the nature of the beast unfortunately. Online-only games all seem to have a opening day or days of frustration before things get going correctly. Companies aren't going to ramp up servers for launch as the server load will never reach those heights again. I wish they would ramp up the server form, but history has proven this route is the bets way to go as fans will wait for things to get sorted and forgive.

Top Bottom