• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to connect to EA servers just to play single player! /s

Maybe I'll wait until the weekend to pop in my disc and install the game.

Finance
Education - rico
Tourism
Transportation - rico
Health and Safety - rico
Utilities - evilhomer14

Question, I'm pretty new to the genre and haven't been using avenues at all. Have I screwed over all future development of my city? At around 30K right now.

And a new page reminder: Discovery Delta 2 people (who signed up using Murphy's site)
Server: Europe West 1
Region: Neotopia Delta
Just ask someone already in for an invite.

Phreaker

Wait, you Amazon guys are downloading now?

This is fuckin bullshit.

Right? It was like every other digital source other than Origin was able to download before us. So lame. Anyway. I downloaded it this AM and signed in so I can get my region invite. :) Will play tonight, can't wait.

mavs

This game's hard. But it would be a lot easier if they actually told you how much space buildings will need to grow.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
got 15 minutes of playtime this morning, before rushing to get ready and go to work.

Checked out Mesquite/Titan Gorge. Seems like the zone was moved slightly from the sign-in picture we've used, but still good. Instead of having the river right in the middle of the plot, it's mostly on one side of the plot, with enough room to build stuff on the thin bit of land.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wish the game would tell me WHICH schools need more classrooms.

I mean, I know there's only 3000 out of 3200 students in my schools. But.. what's preventing them to go? Which schools are you talking about? (Elementary, High School, College or University?)

My factories close, always complaining about lack of educated workers. But all my schools have less than full classrooms...

I feel there's not enough feedback on most things.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I mean, I know there's only 3000 out of 3200 students in my schools. But.. what's preventing them to go? Which schools are you talking about? (Elementary, High School, College or University?)

My factories close, always complaining about lack of educated workers. But all my schools have less than full classrooms...

I feel there's not enough feedback on most things.

Jeff G. over and Giantbomb had the exact same complaint. Almost word for word in the quicklook. Factories don't have skilled workers but classrooms were not full.

mitheor

I think it has to be with the number and location of the school bus stops.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Haha. I was just messing around with the map we used in the beta. I stayed up way too late.

I suppose if someone else doesn't start it by tonight, I can do it. Stuck at work, with road designs swimming through my head.

I was going to bother you, but with you mentioning "KIDS!", I decided not to. Wouldn't want to scare kids with inane "HOW DID U GET GAME WEABLEWEABLE" chat messages.

15Za08w.jpg

Stuck here.

If I get up to leave it alone, I come back to an error message saying that it couldn't download.

If I just sit and wait, it inches across.

I cannot win. I don't mind waiting, but if I get up to do something else, an error halts the progress and needs me to wake it back up into trying again. Ugh.

Phreaker

viridian woods 3 neighbors,
had to switch servers, i was originally in europe server.
had to switch over to North America East 1.
invites are being sent out.
you have to be on that server for you to receive an invite

I joined that server this AM. You should be able to invite me, I hope.

Such a pain in the ass to put down an expensive building and then find out 10 minutes later that you need a lot more space to place upgrades for it. You just have to play it for a while to know what a good spot for X building is because of the upgrades its going to need.

krpiper

So I tried to play the game for a few minutes this morning and when I click to play it gives me to a "bordered" screen (black bars on the left and right, I run a laptop with 1366x768, so not full res) and the origin popup with the "simcity mouse".

It is a light blue background which I assume is the loading screen, but it never does anything more. No music, no loading screen, I can move the mouse around and alt-tab just fine.

My specs are i7-2630QM
GeForce GT 540M
8 GB DDR3

Help!

mavs

there is, the little ghost line on the otherside of the zone when you place it down.

Yeah, maybe they should tell me that before the road goes down. Also it doesn't tell you if ocean will block their expansion. What they need to have is an exact indicator that says what will and won't grow.

Mugaaz

Played it all day yesterday. Review after one day - Really enjoying it so far. Yes, city sizes are smaller. However, everything feels a lot more important and controllable - crime, garbage, education, etc. I feel like all those systems work much better than ever. I really like the education system where you can place bus stops where you like, in addition to how many buses to control the reach of each school to your specifications. The in game tutorials are paced well and guide you into more advanced things like property values, inter region trading, great works, etc. There are still a lot of systems I dont understand, but so far so good.

I do have a complaint about some of the systems that rely on the global/multiplayer aspect. They only update every so often and it can be really stupid. I.E. my Oil power plant ran out of oil, I turned on to start purchasing global oil, which is much more expensive. The plant still wouldnt buy oil because the "global sync" had yet to happen. In the meantime all my businesses shut down and people were abandoning and there was nothing I could do about it. I had to bulldoze the plant and rebuild another in its place (since it starts with full oil). The global stuff works if it snot time sensitive, when it is the system fails hard.

Man, It's been a tough hour and one I hope I can recover from. I'm not entirely sure what happened but a combination of the sewer system going haywire, water issues(why did it stop going to part of the city?) and an influx in the crime rate has lead to a very sudden set of hardships. Think I've managed to get things back together but I screwed up one of the roads. It really does seem like it's too hard to properly take care of yourself when limited to one city, of course if playing solo you'd just use several but given I'm playing on the Gaf one that's not an option. Come on neighbors :D

Definity

Yeah the city size is an issue but damn is this game deep once you get going. Layers on top of layers of stuff to do in the city tile. Love all the meta game stuff when it comes to trading or importing goods.

Harlock

The online thing seems worst than Diablo 3. We will need a couple of days to play without issues. Shit experience.

lol Rock Paper Shotgun's queue to play image ensured I wouldn't be buying it any time soon. EA decides to have a sale, or free weekend and suddenly I can't play my game? No thanks.

Maxis can go suck 37 dicks for not including an offline mode. Hopefully Heart of the Swarm's campaign fares better.

Oppo

Hey — anyone know how many installs you get with Origin?

Like can my wife install this on her laptop and play with my sign in, when I'm no playing on my desktop?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Man, It's been a tough hour and one I hope I can recover from. I'm not entirely sure what happened but a combination of the sewer system going haywire, water issues(why did it stop going to part of the city?) and an influx in the crime rate has lead to a very sudden set of hardships. Think I've managed to get things back together but I screwed up one of the roads. It really does seem like it's too hard to properly take care of yourself when limited to one city, of course if playing solo you'd just use several but given I'm playing on the Gaf one that's not an option. Come on neighbors :D

I think you're suffering from the same fate Jeff, from GiantBomb, suffered, and that I always suffer since SimCity 4 and it's what always kills my cities: Distance to stuff.

Most of the times, doesn't matter that you have enough of something: If it's too far, it won't get there.

For instance: I had more than enough power to power my entire city. However, certain areas of the city were always getting "brown outs". That's because, the way my landscape worked, the energy had to literally go all the way around the map to reach the other side - that's too far. Once I figured out a way to go down a hill with a road, I never had power issues anymore.

Is all of your water coming from one side of the city and the places without any water are on the other side? Is the same thing true for your sewage treatment facility?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just filter those sewage to get clean water. Nothing like a clean glass of. Lean poo water.

Wait, are you saying that if I put a water pumping station near a sewage treatment center, I get... infinite water?

That would explain why this 34 month "stock of water" region (by the sewage treatment center) never goes down... hmmmmm...

Commuting doesn't seem to be working like I would expect it to. Right now my main city has ~8500 low income industrial job openings. Yet my other town is hovering around ~500 low income unemployed. I wish it was easier to get the information I need to find out why this sort of stuff is happening. I'm sure there is a reason, it's just a pain in the ass to figure out what it is.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Commuting doesn't seem to be working like I would expect it to. Right now my main city has ~8500 low income industrial job openings. Yet my other town is hovering around ~500 low income unemployed. I wish it was easier to get the information I need to find out why this sort of stuff is happening. I'm sure there is a reason, it's just a pain in the ass to figure out what it is.

I really miss the graphs and piecharts... I know there's some, but not nearly enough.

BearPawB

Banned
Jeff G. over and Giantbomb had the exact same complaint. Almost word for word in the quicklook. Factories don't have skilled workers but classrooms were not full.

Make sure you set up bus stops. Your sims cant get to school if a bus doesn't stop near them

Wait, are you saying that if I put a water pumping station near a sewage treatment center, I get... infinite water?

That would explain why this 34 month "stock of water" never goes down... hmmmmm...
I heard in one of those letsallbemayors video with a maxis crew. You should try and see how that works.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I heard in one of those letsallbemayors video with a maxis crew. You should try and see how that works.

That totally makes sense. I had a Sewage Spilling pipe in one side of the city, and that would pollute the ground heavily. After my city expanded, I plopped a sewage treatment center near it and killed the spill pipe.

After a couple of months I needed water, and the place that had the MOST water in my city was near the sewage treatment center. I plopped a high pump in there and it would provide water for 34 months.

Except that number never changed. It must mean that the Sewage Treatment Center is filling the ground with clean water. That's the solution for the finite water in each region.

Nice.

That totally makes sense. I had a Sewage Spilling pipe in one side of the city, and that would pollute the ground heavily. After my city expanded, I plopped a sewage treatment center near it and killed the spill pipe.

After a couple of months I needed water, and the place that had the MOST water in my city was near the sewage treatment center. I plopped a high pump in there and it would provide water for 34 months.

Except that number never changed. It must mean that the Sewage Treatment Center is filling the ground with clean water. That's the solution for the finite water in each region.

Nice.
Easy money. Sell it to others lulz

Mugaaz

While I honestly dont get riled up about always online games. I find it hilarious that companies do this without being able to support the launches for their games. I mean honestly, the ineptitude is what gets me. I don't get offended by people trying to make money. People being incompetent at my expense does anger me quite a bit though.

Top Bottom