• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Likewise, I'd be interested in joining.

Add SlackerCS to the list please. :)

Count me in ID: _EagleBurn

Will be playing in around 3 hours.

There's clearly enough demand for another gaf region. I just don't want to be the one maintaining it (even though there's nothing you can do after the region is created).

I'm RainOne on Origin and I'm up for it.

Edit: See? Counting me, there's already 9 10 people interested.

Me too. ID: DrBo42

Whoever starts it add me please.

Origin - Jrmint82

US East btw

Ok, I'll set it up. Soon as this updates finished, I'm thinking one of the huge *edit 16 city maps will be a good way to do this and max the fun I'll edit this with folks who want in and will be getting invites.

N-Bomb

Add SlackerCS to the list please. :)

Count me in ID: _EagleBurn

Will be playing in around 3 hours.

There's clearly enough demand for another gaf region. I just don't want to be the one maintaining it (even though there's nothing you can do after the region is created).

Me too. ID: DrBo42

Whoever starts it add me please.

Origin - Jrmint82

US East btw

I'll start it up if no one else does by 6 pm Eastern or so.

Haha, I don't know if I want to manage it either, but if no one else steps up by the time I get home, I'll set one up.

If only the people who had actually signed up for the regions were so ecstatic :D

Question, is there a way to easily rotate a piece of land, tile, etc?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, I'll set it up. Soon as this updates finished, I'm thinkking one of the huge 14 city maps will be a good way to do this and max the fun I'll edit this with folks who want in and will be getting invites.

Make it a 16. We can get straddlers later (just make it friends only so no motherfucking singaporean players can join, claim a city and leave, like it happened on my region).

I can't find you on Origin, btw.

DrBo42

Ok, I'll set it up. Soon as this updates finished, I'm thinkking one of the huge 14 city maps will be a good way to do this and max the fun I'll edit this with folks who want in and will be getting invites.

Word. Just let us know which server we'll need to set up on. I don't really care if it's East or West, I'll deal with a little higher ping on East.

munroe

So my citizens are protesting about high rent...what do I do to stop that?

Are they complaining about the rent? or the taxes? If it's taxes then maybe reduce them a bit if your budget can afford it, if it's rent.. then no idea...give them an education to get a higher wealth job?

Discovery Delta #3

Origin Requests sent out to:

Plastik2k12
yogloo
tekezy
nurve7
pelegrinuX
woodenlung
applemixx
theandrin
swirleyglasses1
munroe4985
zona221

Please ACCEPT soon or else zones will be given out to other people.

Origin users already accepted:

Cheesetom
SpudxBud
Flashburn2012
rmr2020

The zone will be created in a little while.

Accepted, but wont be able to join until 8th/9th

Is Sim City as disappointing as the Giant Bomb Quick Look indicated? Some specific questions:

Are there really no randomly generated regions/cities?

Is there not terraforming?

Can you not adjust city size? There can't be just one generic size (which seems pretty small)?

The midgame seems shallow--like you jump immediately from filling up your grid to trying to bulldoze and optimize for max density in the span of a couple of hours. Is this true?

Can you not kick out under-performing people from your region?

Is it as glitchy as their build? Seemed like there were issues with roads/abandoned buildings/water from the video.

LogicStep

So I'm working on my first city and I'm doing well. I just don't know how to make more progress since I'm so starved for space. Right now I'm earning around $4k/hr. What's a good way to increase that? Next step for me is building the police, firehouse and clinic upgraded versions (hospital etc.).

Also, there seems to be 2 people in my region but they don't seem to be playing so they aren't helping me at all...

Pandemic

Okay so I just received my physical copy, cracked it open and redeemed the product code printed on the back of the manual in Origin. Everything checked out and it confirmed my purchase of SimCity, but there's no SimCity listed under the My Games tab. I'm hesitant to actually put the disk in because I heard if you install off the disk, the game will require it to be in the drive anytime you wish to play.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

What?! That better not be true..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is Sim City as disappointing as the Giant Bomb Quick Look indicated? Some specific questions:

1. Are there really no randomly generated regions/cities?

2. Is there not terraforming?

3. Can you not adjust city size? There can't be just one generic size (which seems pretty small)?

4. The midgame seems shallow--like you jump immediately from filling up your grid to trying to bulldoze and optimize for max density in the span of a couple of hours. Is this true?

5. Can you not kick out under-performing people from your region?

6. Is it as glitchy as their build? Seemed like there were issues with roads/abandoned buildings/water from the video.

1. correct, only Maxis pre-created regions in the game

2. correct, no terraforming

3. correct, only one city size, somewhere between a small and medium SC4 city size (can fit about 9 of the new cities in one large SC4 city)

4. I can't answer, as I don't have the game. People are enjoying it though

5. I'm not sure, haven't seen this question answered yet

6. there are bugs, but most seem pretty minor so far, other than the abandon/restart city syncing bug

drizzle

Axel Hertz
5. Can you not kick out under-performing people from your region?

You can report a city for griefing, bad language (think of the children!) and some useless crap. You can't straight up kick somebody out.

Soon as I get in to the servers I'm making this new GAF city. Does it matter what server I get in on for creation purposes? Right now North America is down.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Soon as I get in to the servers I'm making this new GAF city. Does it matter what server I get in on for creation purposes? Right now North America is down.

Yes, everybody has to join the same server. There's latency issues, but I have no problem playing from Brazil, so whoever lives in america will have no problem going East or West. However, I'd say keep on the US.

Apologies for asking again, but can anyone who has VPN unlocked the game let me know at what point they were able to play without being connected to the VPN.

I've downloaded the launcher and as far as I can tell I'm downloading the game data currently. I tried switching the VPN off after the launcher was done (running it once to get it to connect) but it went back to greyed out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Apologies for asking again, but can anyone who has VPN unlocked the game let me know at what point they were able to play without being connected to the VPN.

I've downloaded the launcher and as far as I can tell I'm downloading the game data currently. I tried switching the VPN off after the launcher was done (running it once to get it to connect) but it went back to greyed out.

After you ran the game once.

You can report a city for griefing, bad language (think of the children!) and some useless crap. You can't straight up kick somebody out.
So if someone joins your region and then decides to never play... You're just screwed? Nice. =|
1. correct, only Maxis pre-created regions in the game

2. correct, no terraforming

3. correct, only one city size, somewhere between a small and medium SC4 city size (can fit about 9 of the new cities in one large SC4 city)

4. I can't answer, as I don't have the game. People are enjoying it though

6. there are bugs, but most seem pretty minor so far, other than the abandon/restart city syncing bug
Thanks for the answers on these, as disappointing as they may be, at least I can temper my expectations.
I don't think any of those were glitches other than road building might be a bit fidgety.
The whole game is built and predicated on road building in this one though, right? Meaning, if roads don't work, that breaks a lot of other stuff?

Zona

So if someone joins your region and then decides to never play... You're just screwed? Nice. =|

Thanks for the answers on these, as disappointing as they may be, at least I can temper my expectations.

The whole game is built and predicated on road building in this one though, right? Meaning, if roads don't work, that breaks a lot of other stuff?

From the three hours I spent with it today the road placement works fine. The guide system for them is however a wee bit finicky. If you have the guides on it sometimes wants to snap to a place that's Just off where I'd like it to be.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, it sounds like resource sharing might only be in the 3 nearest cities, making these large 16 player regions have even less meaning. Basically, it's just "lets see what this guy did with his city" and that's it.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
So, it sounds like resource sharing might only be in the 3 nearest cities, making these large 16 player regions have even less meaning. Basically, it's just "lets see what this guy did with his city" and that's it.

I'm pretty sure universities are shared region wide.

Created Titan Gorge in North America West (only server that was up) invites are sent to

1. SlackerCS
2. _EagleBurn
3. RainOne
4. DrBo42
5. Jrmint42
6. Veritas0000

These here are open and unclaimed send me your info if you want in.
My origin ID is RNArroyo

Edit: There seems to be some wierd lag, anyone know if being an origin friend makes you an automatic Simcity friend, cause people are missing on my lists.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

No, that can't possibly be right. I mean the whole focus of the game is on multiplayer.

Can it?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No, that can't possibly be right. I mean the whole focus of the game is on multiplayer.

Can it?

odTF8CH.jpg

It's what Jeff and Vinny seem to be going on about

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

That's why you don't make your regions public, but only let yourself&gaffers handle them :p

And roads is definitely an essential part - if you can't manage traffic flow, your city services will get stuck in traffic (e.g. fire trucks, ambulances, cop cars), and if they get stuck in traffic people literally die. (ingame-literally).

odTF8CH.jpg

It's what Jeff and Vinny seem to be going on about

IMHO you can share resources with cities that you are connected to - by sea, highway or rail. At the beginning of the game, it's usually 4 cities connected by highway where you can share some utilities with, since they are cars (garbage trucks, police cars, etc), but other stuff like power/resources etc can be shared with more cities, at least that's what I gathered.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Created Titan Gorge in North America West (only server that was up) invites are sent to

Why isn't this goddamn Origin/SimCity friendlist just one thing? I have to add you both on my Origin and on SimCity, which wouldn't be a problem EXCEPT the servers are overloedad and I can't send you a "SimCity" friend request.

DrBo42

1. SlackerCS
2. _EagleBurn
3. RainOne
4. DrBo42
5. Jrmint42

These here are open and unclaimed send me your info if you want in.
My origin ID is RNArroyo

Waiting for the invite to show up. Looks like there's a huge delay on your Origin account -> when it updates in SimCity. Changed my icon and added friends 5 minutes ago, still hasn't updated in game.

Top Bottom