• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is there a way to get rid of the ground clipping through roads when you're zoomed out? Makes my city look like ass.

I doubt it. That is a texture layering error that's been in every beta, on all types of graphic cards. I'm sure they will fix it in time, but I can see why it wasn't a priority bug for release. Just zoom in a bit and it will go away, lol.

Wat, the new game requires much more planning and realism than the old ones, due to the much improved sim engine. Also, SO MANY AWESOME DATA LAYERS.

True, you have to plan more seriously and calculated than ever with the new game because:

- no saves or reloads, every thing you build or bulldoze is permanent, there aren't any takebacks. Money and space are more crucial now due to that
- the much smaller building space means that every inch of land is precious. You can't afford to make rural farm towns with spaced out houses or streets, nor lazy country roads through forests and mountainsides. Planning how to best fit everything into the small city limits efficiently is paramount.

I disagree with your "more realism" part however, at least in city designs and layouts. The lack of space to allow sprawling suburbs and such prevents true realistic layouts. Of course comparing fun versus realism is two entirely different and very subjective things and a whole discussion into itself....

DEO3

For those who've redeemed your key and aren't having the game show up, just wait. Mine finally showed up without me having to restart Origin or refresh My Games or anything, it took like 45 minutes or so though.

cripterion

Love forking over 80 euros for a game and not get beta invites or a damn preload! (highly needed seeing the slow Origin download speeds)

Ok, guess I'm going to train a bit in ArmaIII to calm down.

Nibiru

Banned
It's a very deep game much more involved than any other Simcity I have played imo. Sure you can't lay water pipes and powerlines but lets be real that was not complicated. Anyway I'm very impressed with the product. People love to see big franchises fail and in the case of Diablo 3 and Sim Societies it happened but that didn't happen in this case.

I get the issues with always online but with that not bothering me at all I am left with just criticizing the game itself and in that regard it's fantastic.

Phreaker

What regions are already created, who's the creator, what's the name and what server are they in?

I wanna add that info on the website.

Viridian Woods 3
Region name: GAF-VW3
Creator: viakado (Origin)
Server: NA East 1

Mayors: City - GAF - Origin
Bamberg Basin - MKAllDay - MKAllDay
Burghausen Hills - MrCompletely - Dronehouse
Figaro Forest - DEO3 - DEOThree
Gaugin Valley - Phreaker - Phreakerz
Giovanni Woods - B-Dex - BDex84
Hohenburg Shores - Hambone - xHambone
Lancaster Pointe - mavs - hrekka
Matisse Plains - Rad- - Joninder
Monet Plateau - Gaming Truth - Ccl97
Rousseau Flats - ostinatto - forsakenwins
Straussburg Isles - Dork Knight - Maxis_MD
Tosca Cliffs - TheGreyHulk - achilles_steel
Traviata Knoll - Spookie - tehspookeh
Tudor Isle - Herpes Reasons - viakado
Wessex Bend - fugimax - fugimax
Yorkshire Cliffs - Faceache - andred78

Hm, you don't get this?

unbenoriginanntdjuww.png

I did. It does nothing like I originally posted. It popped up even after I hit yes and logged out 3-4 times. So it wasn't working.

It's a very deep game much more involved than any other Simcity I have played imo. Sure you can't lay water pipes and powerlines but lets be real that was not complicated. Anyway I'm very impressed with the product. People love to see big franchises fail and in the case of Diablo 3 and Sim Societies it happened but that didn't happen in this case.

I get the issues with always online but with that not bothering me at all I am left with just criticizing the game itself and in that regard it's fantastic.

If they increase the city size limit, then this game would be perfect for me. Though, my load times are fucking long for well-developed cities already...

FaintDeftone

Why release an always online game if your server infrastructure can't handle the high demand.

Especially when it's a game that caters to a very diverse and large crowd compared to most other releases. It just isn't gamers playing this, soccer moms and people who can barely turn a computer on play Sim City.

Hellcrow

Seems like my whole city commutes to the neighbor cities for work. Also, the whole neighbor city comes to my city for shopping. How do I handle the traffic coming from the highway? Most commercial in my city is connected to the avenue directly from the highway, but for some reason it always creates a square light cross which causes traffic, even if there is no intersection there.

So I'm in the Viridian Woods 3 GAF Game and I've basically run my city into the ground, if I abandon will it reset the plot so I can start fresh?

Seems like my whole city commutes to the neighbor cities for work. Also, the whole neighbor city comes to my city for shopping. How do I handle the traffic coming from the highway? Most commercial in my city is connected to the avenue directly from the highway, but for some reason it always creates a square light cross which causes traffic, even if there is no intersection there.

Bus terminal or commuter rail, and you have to coordinate with the other mayor to make sure he's got the same things. It's also smart to set up bus stops by the rail station and the bus terminal close to the central shopping locations.

ghostmind

So is there a plan for us latecomers? Since there will probably be some that had signed up for GAF-regions that decided to not get the game, will those of us awaiting placement be added in? Will new GAF-regions be created?

DagsJT

Game wasn't showing up using Hideman connected to the US but pressed the "refresh" button up the top left and it appeared then. Downloading the client now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I doubt it. That is a texture layering error that's been in every beta, on all types of graphic cards. I'm sure they will fix it in time, but I can see why it wasn't a priority bug for release. Just zoom in a bit and it will go away, lol.

True, you have to plan more seriously and calculated than ever with the new game because:

- no saves or reloads, every thing you build or bulldoze is permanent, there aren't any takebacks. Money and space are more crucial now due to that
- the much smaller building space means that every inch of land is precious. You can't afford to make rural farm towns with spaced out houses or streets, nor lazy country roads through forests and mountainsides. Planning how to best fit everything into the small city limits efficiently is paramount.

I disagree with your "more realism" part however, at least in city designs and layouts. The lack of space to allow sprawling suburbs and such prevents true realistic layouts. Of course comparing fun versus realism is two entirely different and very subjective things and a whole discussion into itself....

I meant "more realism" in a "the city behaves more realistically based on what layout you created", not that your layout inherently is more realistic. Also if you're not about min/maxing density/layout, it's still possible to create more natural looking cities ;)

SaberVulcan

Looks like East NA1 is "busy".... do they post an ETA for when its not "busy" or am I supposed to just let it idle for a while.

drawkcaB

Has anyone else run into this problem:

I have the game fully downloaded and installed, I clicked the green button to play, but then nothing happened. Whenever I click the orange play button on the Origin "My Games" screen, the PC process something for a few seconds, nothing happens. The client window (i.e. the window with the selected server info and status) doesn't show up. Is this a server related issue or is my install borked? I did a repair but the problem hasn't gone away. Sort of wondering if I should roll the dice and uninstall/re-install...

I meant "more realism" in a "the city behaves more realistically based on what layout you created", not that your layout inherently is more realistic. Also if you're not about min/maxing density/layout, it's still possible to create more natural looking cities ;)

This, I upgraded my roads and the small houses disappeared and were replaced by low-rise buildings

RoKKeR

Question about upgrading roads: All of my roads right now are high density but things are starting to get congested. Is the only way to upgrade to avenues to bulldoze everything along a street, and then rebuild that street?

SRTtoZ

The sad thing is I am LOVING the game so far but I'm playing on a shitty public region where everyone elses city is SHIT and burning to the ground. I tried making Discovery Delta 3 but Origin is fucked and wont let me add friends to the city, so yea.

KaYotiX

Banned
got charged the full $85 instead of the promo price of $35 when I pre-ordered back in July.....damn EA. Now I have to wait on hold FOREVER.

Question about upgrading roads: All of my roads right now are high density but things are starting to get congested. Is the only way to upgrade to avenues to bulldoze everything along a street, and then rebuild that street?

Wondering the same thing? Am I not able to upgrade avenues without destructing them (along with the buildings)?

As far as micro transactions go - Are there any items in the game that you can only receive by paying real money in this game and not recieve simply by grinding? If that is the case, I am not buying it. Which is a shame because my wife really wants to play it.

SaberVulcan

What regions are already created, who's the creator, what's the name and what server are they in?

Also, while I am waiting for NA East to not be busy... assuming this website is live and contains all of the GAFer Origin accounts, have a URL :D

SRTtoZ

Ill be creating Discovery Delta #3 in a little bit. I'm sending requests out now. If people dont claim land then the other invites will go out to first come first serve.

As far as micro transactions go - Are there any items in the game that you can only receive by paying real money in this game and not recieve simply by grinding? If that is the case, I am not buying it. Which is a shame because my wife really wants to play it.

This game, from what I understand, is The Sims. You aren't going to be unlocking items through play, but through purchasing 'add-ons.'

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any reason to lay down a curved road, other than for aesthetic reasons? It seems like you're cutting your potential zoning in half by doing so...

Top Bottom