• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Opening by Willy105! Also thanks to ShockingAlberto and Noncon for their help!

What the fuck?!

1z1zcec.png
282gydu.jpg
wck31j.jpg

• Platform: Wii
  • Genre: On-Rails Shooter
  • Publisher: Nintendo
  • Developer: Treasure
  • Official Websites: Japan/Europe/North America/Australia

But, when?!

• Japan: October 29th 2009
  • Europe: May 7th 2010
  • North America: June 27th 2010(?)
  • Australia: TBA

Yeah, so?

• Wii Remote plus Nunchuk, Wii Zapper, Game Cube Controller, and Classic Controller support!
  • Online leaderboards for e-peen measuring!
  • Two different playable characters with distinct play-styles!
  • Local two-player mode à la Super Mario Galaxy!
  • Gorgeous Sixty Frames Per Second!
  • Reversible cover (European confirmation only)!
  • Japanese and English voice tracks included!

And what's this about?

About a decade or so ago Treasure decided to make a game for N64 called Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth. The game was about a band of rebels fighting a government organisation or something that were themselves fighting some sorts of aliens that were not actually aliens but stock gone awry because genetical engineering was bad and shit. By the end of the game you (SPOILERS)
sank Japan in a sea of blood, overthrew the world government's naval fleet by flying in a piece of iron, dismantled a top secret satellite giant ray gun thingy, became Godzilla/EVA 01/Escaflowne, and battled against an alien that had disguised itself as a replica of planet Earth

It was a pretty rad game.

So while Japan was pretty awesome playing that game, we Westerners were promised a 2000. Deceived by the (atrocious) English voice acting, we thought that Nintendo of America was going to keep their promise. We eagerly anticipated Sin and Punishment's release. We believed in NoA. We believed!

Then the Game Cube came. By then it was pretty obvious this relationship was not meant to be.

Of course, the universe works in funny ways. In 2007 Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth was release for the Virtual Console service for the Wii system for the modicum amount of 1200 points. And all was fine with the world, finally! People loved it, people adored it, and people realised they'd been missing out on a gaming diamond.

Fast forward a year later to Nintendo's 2008 Fall Conference, and, by a strike of good luck, Sin and Punishment 2 was announced. The surprise of the show for many and the holy grail of Nintendo announcements (fuck Sonikku in Sumabura), the cherry on the top was that Nintendo of America once again promised to bring it to the United States due to the high sales of the Virtual Console release. Europe followed suit pretty quickly. And now, a year and a half later, it's here.

Oh, you wanted a plot synopsis? Well, there's some stuff about Isa Jo (he's the son of Saki Amamiya and Airan Jo from the first game), how he inherited his dad's Ruffian blood and goes all emo because he wants to be human, how he finds Kachi, becomes dazzled by her and vows to protect her despite having been sent to kill her in the first place. It's all kinda dumb to be honest and if you are reaaaaaaaaaally interested you can check it on the official websites. It's not like you're going to play this game for the plot, anyway.

'kay, but who are these emo kids and why should I care about them?

• Isa Jo

sglwuv.png

The son of the heroes from the first game, this boy comes packed with a jet... backpack.. thingy and a Gunblade. His special ability is the charged shot, with which he can, uh, charge a shot all Mega Man-style and deal out massive damage.
  • Kachi

2d8mi5t.png

The mysterious girl from Outer Space that everybody wants dead (except Isa, who totally wants to nail her). Her special ability is the multi-shot, which enables her to attack multiple enemies with a charged shot with eight different levels of power. You can also focus all eight attacks into a single enemy, if you roll that way. Also, unlike Isa, her shot becomes fixed after going over a target, and will remain so until that target is destroyed or is hit by a charged shot.
  • Group of Five Countries / G5 / Nebulox

aokt1t.png

The game's evil organisation and boss repertoire.

But how does it play?

Here comes the cool part.

See, Treasure saw the Wii Remote and had an awesome idea: what if (hear this), the controller was your gun? How cool would that be? You just point, and shoot, and kill shit while you try to dodge enemy fire. There, simple, effective. It's like a lightgun game, but better, since you actually control your character with the analog stick, enabling you to, say, shoot something on the right hand of the screen while you are pirouetting around bullet-laser rains of doom.

It's multitaskingtastic!

Let's say sometimes that enemy fire is like, a big missile or something, which you can dodge... but you know, you got a sword (or a kick)! You should take advantage of that, don't you? So just point at something and press the trigger button (that's the B button) and bam, missile goes back to the enemy. You can use the same button to attack enemies at close range -for some reason, a sword/kick is more powerful than your laser gun. Wonky video game logic.

Sure, it sounds simple, but it's in this simplicity that Treasure made a very creative game. In addition to the shooting and reflecting mechanics, you can fly now with the tap of a button (!!). Of course, it is somewhat abusable, but the downside to this is that you get a bonus while your feet touch the ground, so you want to stay grounded as much as possible. This bonus is determined by your multiplier, that big gold number on the upper-right corner of your screen. Your multiplier is augmented by getting consecutive hits without getting hit yourself, going from 0.0 to 16. The multiplier is pretty much the most important element of the HUD, and you should learn to love it, even if you sometimes get mad at it because a puny little sperm-looking alien drops it from 16 to 12 with just one wag of its tail.

Of course, this only applies for the Wii Remote plus Nunchuk/Wii Zapper setups. Sure, you can try the other two controller methods... but they are kinda lame, if serviceable. This game was made for the Wii Remote. Going with anything else would be handicapping yourself.

But it's a Wii game! I heard Wii games look, like, N64 games!

erh3yr.jpg
vs.
3446nix.jpg

2myavlt.jpg
vs.
29zzq1d.jpg

23vewdw.jpg
vs.
ei9x09.jpg

25ptnkn.jpg
vs.
11rrknq.jpg

5w0dao.jpg
vs.
syupw6.jpg

13z4ku1.jpg
vs.
6eoew9.jpg

eff you

What if my like or dislike of a game needs to be reaffirmed by what the enthusiast media's consensus on the title is?

Iwata: Asks?

1. The N64 Controller Provides Inspiration
  2. Painful Memories
  3. The Phantom Title: Dark Wasteland
  4. Like Jazz Sessions
  5. Increased Difficulty
  6. Experiencing 60 Frames per Second

I got a question! Please do me please please please!

• How does two-player mode work?
    It is a lot like Super Mario Galaxy's co-op play. Player One takes control of the main character, while Player Two takes control of a separate set of crosshairs. You can shoot anything on the screen, but you cannot do charge shots and there's no "avatar" for you, so to speak. The score count is shared by both players.
  • How difficult is this title?
    The Japanese release had three different difficulty settings from the get go: Easy, Normal, and Hard. Easy was surprisingly challenging for me, but I've found most Sin and Punishment veterans had no problems with it. I suggest you go through here first so that you become used to enemy and stage layouts. On the other hand, Hard mode is balls-crushingly hard -every hit takes like twenty points of damage, in a game where Life Kits are scarce (like five times per level at most) and boss patterns are a lot more varied. Normal mode lies somewhere in-between.
  • Is there anything that justifies this game being 50 bucks? Rail shooters tend to be pretty short!
    This genre is probably not for you. The game is meatier than most on-rails shooters and at least twice as long as S&P1, but if you are not into replaying for high scores or for the sheer thrill of action games this will not hold your attention for long.
  • How does playing with a Game Cube or Classic Controller end up working?
    It... works, but unless you are truly a masochist you will stay with the Wii Remote. Shit gets real way too quickly. Supposedly some portions of the game are easier with those controllers, but to be honest I think that's bullshit PR.
  • How many levels?
    Spoiler:
    ----8----
    They tend to be pretty long, up to half an hour each.
  • How does the saving system work in this game?
    It auto-saves immediately after finishing a stage. There's also a Save & Exit option in the pause menu, which lets you quit a game to later continue from your most recent checkpoint. Credits are also unlimited.

Anything else I need to know?

Rent it/Buy it/Buy it and throw it to the toilet?

20ubvgi.jpg

TREASURE IT

lyre

Red Scarlet said:
Sin & Punishment 2?

WHAT ABOUT IT?
Check his edit if you need to know.

Mods and admins can see post edits after all.

PS: Your original OP pasted the whole thing twice. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Red Scarlet said:
We can still fix it. Don't give up hope so easily. Build some confidence up.

Well, the thread isn't supposed to go up until Friday, isn't it? I could just copy/paste to not let this one go waste. :/

Red Scarlet

Regulus Tera said:
Well, the thread isn't supposed to go up until Friday, isn't it? I could just copy/paste to not let this one go waste. :/

When's it come out? I don't know anything about the game, so that's why my first reply was what it was.

Red Scarlet

Going by the European release date, it comes out in 2 weeks. I think that's the "time limit" to stay open, so go go go.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
We are Ermac and we approve of this thread.

Is it worth it to play through the original on VC before grabbing this? About how long does it take to finish?

Ermac said:
We are Ermac and we approve of this thread.

Is it worth it to play through the original on VC before grabbing this? About how long does it take to finish?

If you enjoy rail shooters it's a lot of fun, and only takes a few hours.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dallow_bg said:
Seriously, how the hell did we get the superior cover?

It's not complete until there's an "Our frothing demand for this game increases" IGN quote

BTW US release date is June 27th

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I linked up the Siliconera translation for the Iwata Asks feature. It shall be replaced by the official one as soon as NoE gets up to the task.

Played the original a month or two back. Loved it. Don't miss Star Fox anymore. Don't think Canada gets the pre-order savings, but I'm still going to buy this day fucking one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
As thoroughly unhappy as I am about the U.S. delay, I know it'll be more than worth the wait.
Fantastic OP.

jrricky

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
My only regret is that nothing will ever be as good as the Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart.
That wasnt intended?:lol It always gave me a chuckle...

also, what was this threads other title?

totowhoa

Banned
So excited for this. Picked up the first the game about a month ago while drunk and remembered that a new neighbor had accessible wifi :lol Love the shit out of it.

So.... is two player actually any fun on any sort of level? Is it like S&P1? OP compares it to mario galaxy, so I'm not too interested.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sklorenz said:
So.... is two player actually any fun on any sort of level? Is it like S&P1? OP compares it to mario galaxy, so I'm not too interested.

Not quite. Player One takes control of the main character, while Player Two takes control of a separate set of crosshairs. You can shoot anything on the screen, but you cannot do charge shots and there's no "avatar" for you, so to speak.

Top Bottom