• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Luigiv

Nice thread, Regulus. Shame my territory doesn't have a release date yet.
Oh well, I can't afford it anyway.

KevinCow

Banned
Rail shooters are traditionally pretty short and tend to lack much in the way of replay value outside of replaying for high scores. Is there anything that makes this game more worth $50 than other rail shooters? It looks fun, but I'm just not sure if I'll get my money's worth at full price.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
KevinCow said:
Rail shooters are traditionally pretty short and tend to lack much in the way of replay value outside of replaying for high scores. Is there anything that makes this game more worth $50 than other rail shooters? It looks fun, but I'm just not sure if I'll get my money's worth at full price.

Part of the problem!

Seriously serious: This genre is probably not for you. The game is meatier than most on-rails shooters and at least twice as long as S&P1, but if you are not into replaying for high scores or for the sheer thrill of action games this will not hold your attention for long.

Then again...

KevinCow said:
Is there anything that makes this game more worth $50 than other rail shooters?

Best Treasure game ever.

Best Wii game ever.

Best current-gen game ever.

Is that statement in the OP from the game itself?

Not directly pulled from the game, but it plays on some of the stuff found on the European website (check the Story section).

Omnibus said:
Avalable here (7441 × 3543), among many others.

Adding to OP!

ivysaur12 said:
I want this so badly.

What's the release price? $40?

50 USD, no idea about anywhere else.

Vizion28 said:
Cam gameplay video of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/castle-in-sin/64845

The visuals looks absolutely gorgeous.

That's my favourite level. :D

I'm purposefully trying to avoid showing anything beyond Stage 2. The game is soooo full of surprises.

60$ CND. At the moment anyways. The price may shift due to the parity of the dollar but I doubt it. Still, one of the few games that will likely be worth that much.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
I'll gift it to you if you promise to play it and finish it before anything else.

Why did you have to say that. :/ :lol It's a short game right?

botticus

fernoca said:
Depending on how much you saved, you could just get 1000 points on the Wii Shop..and still be cheaper..right?

Though if the card is like the one from Monster Hunter Tri..is nice..and shiny too. XD
I do rather want the card... so I adjusted my preorder and now have it set for $40 at GameStop.com!

wait, you can play this with a gamecube/classic controller? does it scale difficulty or something? you should be much faster and more accurate with the pointer. how does that end up working?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Linkzg said:
wait, you can play this with a gamecube/classic controller? does it scale difficulty or something? you should be much faster and more accurate with the pointer. how does that end up working?

It... works, but unless you are truly a masochist you will stay with the Wii Remote. Shit gets real way too quickly. Supposedly some portions of the game are easier with those controllers, but to be honest I think that's bullshit PR.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Regulus Tera said:
North America: June 27th 2010(?)
j9lfsn.giff

Ugh, so far away.

Regulus Tera said:
It... works, but unless you are truly a masochist you will stay with the Wii Remote. Shit gets real way too quickly. Supposedly some portions of the game are easier with those controllers, but to be honest I think that's bullshit PR.

yeah, it is hard to imagine it would be. I was playing some of the first game (and a few other rail shooters like Orta) and these are the types of games where I think pointer controls would work well for. Maybe not Rez because you're controller the camera too, but for just pointing and shooting, I'd imagine you can rely more on reflexes than memorizing patterns.

ZAK

I wouldn't have said that this is "my thing" but I'm kind of interested in it at this point. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Hiltz

This is not just an on-rails shooter.

This is Sin & Punishment. One of the most addictive shooters out there. Personally, I've replayed the virtual console version over 100 times.

I can't get over how bad ass Sin & Punishment 2's box art is. :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
I forget, have we exchanged numbers before Tera?

5435 9263 4481 0169

Busy trying to beat my scores, though. :lol This thread made me forget about MH3!

-PXG- said:
I played the Japanese version. LOVE IIIIIIT! So getting the US one. Too bad we get shitty boxart :(

Does not compute.

sprsk said:
This game is just as long as any of the recent next-gen shooters out there.

Speaks more about next-gen shooters than S&P then! [in before thatsthejoke.gif]

-PXG-

Regulus Tera said:
5435 9263 4481 0169

Busy trying to beat my scores, though. :lol This thread made me forget about MH3!

Does not compute.

Speaks more about next-gen shooters than S&P then! [in before thatsthejoke.gif]

The Japanese box looks so much better than the US one. I thought everyone agreed on that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
-PXG- said:
The Japanese box looks so much better than the US one. I thought everyone agreed on that.

This is like saying a regular chocolate donut is shitty in comparison to a vanilla-filled chocolate donut. They are both tasty; it's just that one is tastier than the other.

S&P2 is like if the world's greatest rail shooter developers said "Let's make the world's greatest rail shooter" and married it to the best possible control method for it making the best game in its genre.

Oh wait it is exactly that situation

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think both look pretty good. At least it's not like the Ico abomination. :lol

Regulus Tera said:
5435 9263 4481 0169

1884 - 4898 - 2848 - 6898

:)

Oxx said:
I'll bite at £27.99.
Is anyone selling it at that price yet? I'd bite at £25 for release, but after that I'd probably just wait for it to hit the £18 price point cos I really do think this game has Zavvi Mega Monday bomba written all over it.

ilikeme

Oooooooooohhhhhh. Never played the original but this looks SWELL!

I hope the co-op mode is satisfying.. are there opinions on that? I mean I'll buy it and play if myself even if it isn't but this is the kind of game where I have a friend who'd think it'd be AWESOME to play co-op. So I really hope it's cool!

Oxx

wackojackosnose said:
Is anyone selling it at that price yet? I'd bite at £25 for release, but after that I'd probably just wait for it to hit the £18 price point cos I really do think this game has Zavvi Mega Monday bomba written all over it.

There are only a handful of sites that have it listed at the moment (at least according to Gametracker). Hopefully someone will come through. I'm praying it isn't Zavvi though, I'm not getting my Monster Hunter order until Monday (presumably).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so I've heard everything from "twice as long as the original" (which would put it at about an hour and a half to two hours) to "as long as any other shooter out there" which would put it at like, six, seven hours. Anyone wanna clear that up for me?

Regulus Tera said:
Part of the problem!
Heh, I'd love to day1 this game but watching the UK gaming market implode this generation taught me that most mid / low level games may receive a 50-75% price drop within 2 to 3 weeks. All games in the UK, barring the mega huge games like NSMBWii, face the possible ignominy of early price cuts. :( You should check out gaf's very own Cheap Ass EU thread to see how quickly ours games bomb. It makes me want to set up a spread betting league on when UK prices plummet.

Oxx said:
There are only a handful of sites that have it listed at the moment (at least according to Gametracker). Hopefully someone will come through. I'm praying it isn't Zavvi though, I'm not getting my Monster Hunter order until Monday (presumably).
Cheers for the info!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so I've heard everything from "twice as long as the original" (which would put it at about an hour and a half to two hours) to "as long as any other shooter out there" which would put it at like, six, seven hours. Anyone wanna clear that up for me?

6-7 hours. Basically it took me from 12pm-9pm to finish it (with lunch break inbetween)

Oxx

wackojackosnose said:
Heh, I'd love to day1 this game but watching the UK gaming market implode this generation taught me that most mid / low level games may receive a 50-75% price drop within 2 to 3 weeks. All games in the UK, barring the mega huge games like NSMBWii, face the possible ignominy of early price cuts. :( You should check out gaf's very own Cheap Ass EU thread to see how quickly ours games bomb. It makes me want to set up a spread betting league on when UK prices plummet.

It's always something I bear in mind when looking at lower-profile Wii games. But I do have a big pile of games that I waited on and have never played (sorry Okami, de Blob, Boom Blox 2 etc).

It's a little bit annoying that I bought Little King's Story for full price day one when it's something like £7 now, but if the game's good enough it's worth going all in.

Oxx said:
It's always something I bear in mind when looking at lower-profile Wii games. But I do have a big pile of games that I waited on and have never played (sorry Okami, de Blob, Boom Blox 2 etc).

It's a little bit annoying that I bought Little King's Story for full price day one when it's something like £7 now, but if the game's good enough it's worth going all in.

Personally, I've decided to wait for the inevitable price drops when it comes to big releases like Assassins Creed 2 or Final Fantasy XIII. I'm a student, so I'm not exactly swimming in money, and these kind of over-hyped games will have no problem selling enough to be profitable anyway.

But I think it is worth supporting small developers/publishers like Treasure and Marvelous. I feel a bit guilty for buying Little King's Story for half the price, knowing the financial difficulties of the publisher and that the game was definitely worth paying the full price for.

This is why I will buy Sin & Punishment 2 day one. Who knows, if the sales are at least reasonable we might get number 3 some day. It's looking unlikely though, considering how anemic the sales of non-casual software on the Wii are. .. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
All I'm gonna say is, if you have to choose between Super Mario Galaxy 2 and this game, choose this game.

Regarding sales, I'll be happy if it breaks the six-digit mark. Kinda unlikely.

Do we have any numbers for the VC release of S&P?

sprsk said:
6-7 hours. Basically it took me from 12pm-9pm to finish it (with lunch break inbetween)

That's first-time through though. It takes me about four hours to beat it nowadays, and that's with minimal deaths.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AMAZING box-art(s).

I know nothing about the S&P series, but I will certainly buy this and give it a try.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:
Do you like Star Fox 64?
is it possible for anyone to not like Lylat Wars?

Guess I should be excited!

KevinCow

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Part of the problem!

Seriously serious: This genre is probably not for you. The game is meatier than most on-rails shooters and at least twice as long as S&P1, but if you are not into replaying for high scores or for the sheer thrill of action games this will not hold your attention for long.

"OH NO SOMEBODY'S BEING WISE WITH HIS MONEY AND ASKING QUESTIONS TO TRY TO FIGURE OUT IF A GAME WILL BE WORTH ITS ASKING PRICE FOR HIM, PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!11!!1"

Fuck off.

Could somebody who's not gonna be a douche about it tell me how long the game is, at least? I think that 20 or more levels would be good. I just don't think the fewer than ten levels you get in most on-rails games is worth $50. The last (and only, now that I think about it) on-rails game I bought at full price was HotD Overkill, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought $50 was way too high an asking price for seven levels.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
All I'm gonna say is, if you have to choose between Super Mario Galaxy 2 and this game, choose this game.

I don't care how good the game is, this is wrong. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
KevinCow said:
"OH NO SOMEBODY'S BEING WISE WITH HIS MONEY AND ASKING QUESTIONS TO TRY TO FIGURE OUT IF A GAME WILL BE WORTH ITS ASKING PRICE FOR HIM, PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!11!!1"

Fuck off.

Could somebody who's not gonna be a douche about it tell me how long the game is, at least? I think that 20 or more levels would be good. I just don't think the fewer than ten levels you get in most on-rails games is worth $50. The last (and only, now that I think about it) on-rails game I bought at full price was HotD Overkill, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought $50 was way too high an asking price for seven levels.

Dude, it was a joke. Chill out.

Number of levels in the game:
----8----
. They tend to be pretty large, up to half an hour each.

Andrex said:
I don't care how good the game is, this is wrong. :p

Nope.

adversesolutions said:
What are the known changes to the NA/European version of the game so far?

If they're big enough I might have to double dip.

Some cosmetic changes (a few more colours here and there), dual language.

Nothing too major I think.

Top Bottom