• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sine Mora |OT| Revenge is a dish best served in a timely manner

V_Arnold

7ip0s.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Genre: Shoot'em'up
Platform: Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox 360)
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Developers: Digital Reality / Grasshopper Manufacture
Release date: 21/03/2012 (Global)
Pricing: 1200 Microsoft Points

Sine Mora is diesel-punk shoot 'em up co-developed by video game band Grasshopper Manufacture and old-timer Digital Reality. Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with next-gen presentation, Sine Mora is a shoot ‘em up that appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers . The engrossing Story Mode weaves an over-the-top tale, presented as only Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture could, while the Arcade Mode provides deep, satisfying gameplay to challenge fans of the genre.

Sine Mora is a collaboration between the hungarian studio Digital Reality and the japanese studio Grasshopper Manufacture. Grasshopper Manufacture is responsible for the concept art and the sound design - that includes a soundtrack created by Akira Yamaoka (Shadows of the Damned, Silent Hill), and Digital Reality is responsible for the game design, the programming, 3d modelling - although both development teams have been overseeing all aspects of the project. Sine Mora is designed to appeal the newcomers to the shoot'em'up genre as well as the hardcore veterans who want to jump right into the Arcade Mode and Score Attack as they launch the game. Sine Mora is also pushing forward with its story direction - the Story Mode separates gameplay levels with story elements in written form, and during gameplay, players get to know the characters better by hearing their conversations as the story progresses.

Introducing Time
Sine Mora is a shoot'em'up that revolves around Time being the main mechanic to it. When touching an enemy bullet or beam, you are losing time, when destroying an enemy, you are gaining time relative to the destroyed enemy's importance (bosses and more robust enemies net you more, normal enemies only give small amounts of time. Lose all your time, and that is about it - keep more time and get higher score.

Powerups, Score modifiers, replayability
The game rewards perfect play in a variety of ways. If you do not get hit, you will have access to an increasing score modifier - and you will also get stronger as you are picking up more and more bonuses. Upon touching an enemy bullet or beam, however, you will lose your accumulated damage boosters - but you can pick them up again if you are fast. In a hectic situation, that is highly ill-advised, as you will most likely end up getting shot again and again while you are trying to reach the lost powerups.

Every character has a different secondary shot that has different properties (weapon extensions, a high-powered energy beam, seeker missiles, etc.), and in addition to that, you can decide what special ability you want to use in the stage. Plan around your character's secondary attack, and decide what additional ability you want to use to master Sine Mora's gameplay. If you prefer getting out of situations in just the nick of time, time slowing might be just for you. If you want to practice the actual scenarios instead without needing to replay the whole level, rewinding time will still help you to get through that dangerous situation, even if you failed for the first time. And reflect missiles might help you to just ignore the dangers, and do your own thing, at your own pace!

Four different difficulty levels
There are four difficulty levels available in Sine Mora. The first two is reserved for Story Mode - these difficulties are intended for beginners, but can still provide a decent challenge for those that are familiar with the shoot'em'up basics. Those who feel that they are ready to truly master this game are going to spend a lot more time though: both the Hard and the Insane difficulties are available in the Arcade and the Score Attack modes. These are meant for the hardcore shoot'em'up enthusiasts: you will fail, you will need to memorize the attack patterns - and you will need to replay the levels several times before being able to perfectly run through one.

STORY
Ronotra Koss is a serial killer, hell-bent on revenge, blackmailing a young girl and smuggling military grade aibots.
Meanwhile, a phantom cell of time-travelling partisans is determined to infiltrate Siriad – the floating fortress guarding the peace and prosperity of their planet.
Argus Pytel, the Emperor's most talented Profiler, will stop at nothing to try to bring all of them to justice. In this complex tale of honor, bonds and morality, each player must ask themselves:
What would you do if you knew exactly how much time you had left?

THE VEHICLES
UNC7b.jpg
iZL1G.jpg
odfJ4.jpg

THE CREW
1F2SX.jpg
L1oLL.jpg
iCvke.jpg
wzTQS.jpg
OO4Zg.jpg
2VI5z.jpg
wb7rm.jpg

Ronotra Koss
Middle-aged male, and one of the few aces of the Empire. An opportunist in his better days, who later becamse a drinker. After he lost his legs in an accident, he became completely disillusioned.

Myryan Magusa
Young, beautiful pilot and repair-woman. She had cancer of the larnyx as a young girl and is using a voice box. Her nation was assimilated by the Layil Empire long ago; with a counterfeit ID, she is now a citizen of the Empire.

Lynthe Ytoo
Collaborationst captain, serving in the 11th Squadron of the Imperial Air Force. After he was injured and left behind during an armed conflict with the Enkies, he joined the resistance, specifically Akyta Dryad's group.

Durak
Aristocratic female Enkie. Nobles have only one name, as nobles are considered unique on Seol. She Still clings to the upper-class idea that the world belongs not to the Commoners, but to the Controllers. Always very elegant, with high-born style and manners.

Akyta Dryad
Young female Enkie, leader of a resistance cell. Her occupation before the war was paleoseismologist. Now a fugitive on the run, she is hounded by several legendary Collaborationist headhunters, and also carefully monitored by Imperial Intelligence.

Argus Pytel
High Ranking Collaborationst officer of the Layil Empire. Occupation: Profiler for Imperial Intelligence. A conservative gentleman and a solid fighter pilot by the look of things, his eyes always betray him to those who are able to recognize true intelligence.

GARAI 74/22876
AiBot ordered for the Imperial Guard's Elite Squadron in the Tira administrative region. 22876 was manufactured on the moon Mawu and stolen, then reprogrammed by Ronotra Koss.

In story mode, you are not able to choose which character to play as - they will take turns as the story progresses. You will be, however, able to choose them once you have unlocked them in the other modes - and they all have a unique secondary attack. Secondary attacks are limited in use, and can be vital in exploiting the weaknesses of all bosses - it is something you will be able to experiment with in the Boss Training mode.

SCREENSHOTS, TRAILERS - MEDIA:

Launch Trailer | Normal vs Insane comparison (Youtube) | From Dust to Dust - Teaser (Youtube) | HD Gameplay from the first stage (Cam, GC2011 - Youtube)

The pictures are all taken straight from the game - you will see this (and more) running at 60fps - with the option for stereoscopic 3D!
Click on the thumbnails for bigger pictures! Links are pointing towards imgur.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Q: What is Sine Mora?
A: It is in latin, and it means: "without delay".

Q:I am not convinced that this will satisfy my tastes as I have grown up on japanese shmups! Can you help me out?
A:Yes, I can. Theodore Reiker, the creative mind behind the whole project is a faithful fan of the genre as well - and you might want to check out this interview with him, for example, to see for yourself. The development team has created and balanced two additional difficulties and game modes (Score Attack, Arcade Mode) for the hardcore shoot'em'up fans out there.

Q:How long is the game? Is there replayability in it? How fast can I get my 'cheevos out of it?
A:If you are looking for a 200/200, you might wanna take a seat. The story mode can be completed in a few hours, but it will not be enough to really conquer the game. The Score Attack and Arcade modes provide more difficult encounters, and to clear them all, you are looking at least 40+ hours of gameplay. The achievements are gained by getting to higher ranks - the highest have some insanely hard requirements tied to it.

Q: Are there any plans for DLC content?
A:Nope. From the interview posted two paragraphs ago: "There are no DLC plans. This decision was left to the development team, and we approached it as players. As players, we’re not fond of the business model when connected to digital releases, to be honest. Small additions would not justify any price point, we would definitely feel guilty of ripping off our customers..."

Q: What language can be heard during the game? Is it swedish? Backwards german? A long forgotten dialect of sidhe? Or a corrupted audio file?
A: Glad you asked. The language is as real as it gets - it is hungarian.

Q: I have a serious case of TL;DR - could you tell me what this is all about like..real fast?
A:Alright. Sine Mora is a shoot'em'up with previously unseen mechanics, four difficulties, amazing graphics with vivid colors, fast and responsive gameplay, 3d support - and it is coming out for XBLA (Xbox 360), in march 21, 2012 - for the price of 1200 Microsoft points.

REVIEWS
Destructoid - 9.5/10
Sine Mora isn’t only of the best shmups in years, it’s one of the boldest and most fascinating games of this generation, period. What it lacks in finesse, it more than makes up for in its original art direction and deep lore. It’s a shmup that not only offers replayability and strategic choice, but also a story that can be discussed, worshiped, and analyzed for months to come.

Joystiq - 4,5/5
Sine Mora's unique time mechanic serves a dual purpose. It gives less dedicated players a chance to enjoy one of the industry's more vibrant genres while simultaneously giving hardcore players a new spin on an age-old formula. I heartily recommend it to either group without delay.

IGN - 9.0/10
It's time for a new 2D shooter. Everything fans expect is here in Sine Mora (giant bosses, flashy explosions, serious challenge), but the entertaining time mechanic should prove a welcome surprise. It tweaks the recipe just enough to create an uncommon shooter. The visuals set a new standard for the genre, providing sights heretofore unseen in an arcade shoot 'em up. With a relatively manageable Story Mode and a ridiculously difficult Arcade Mode, pilots of all skill levels should check out Sine Mora.

GamesTM - 9 / 10
The ageing shoot-’em-up is far from dead when viewed on quantity of releases alone, but when it comes to quality Sine Mora has practically zero peers this generation. If you’ve been craving a true modern classic since the days of Gradius V and R-Type Final then Grasshopper Manufacture and Digital Reality have provided the best possible reason we can imagine to return.

Eurogamer - 9/10
At 1200 Microsoft Points, this isn't a particularly cheap experience, but for those devotees who will spend months, even years, forcing every last twitch and dodge into their muscle memory, it's money well spent. Clearly not one for casual players, this is a heartfelt love letter to one of gaming's thoroughbred genres and one that fans of the right temperament should experience without delay.

Gamer365 - 9/10
Sine Mora is like a talented, self-confident athlete. Setting the bar high in every aspect - gameplay, content, presentation, story -, he runs in anyways, smiling, and makes the jump. The unlikely collaboration of Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture has resulted in a game that is enjoyable by any kind of gamers, but is well fit for the hardcore shoot'em up players as well. Its atmosphere and presence lingers on however, even after one puts down the controller - and that is a very powerful feat in this day and age.

Gamesradar - 7/10

With all of this in mind, Sine Mora is a good game, though not necessarily a standard bearer for shoot em ups. It’s got a unique art style, tinges of Grasshopper’s profane quirkiness, and offers some rather challenging wrinkles on the genre formula. Don’t believe for a second that “casual friendliness” means putting a controller in the hands of your game-dabbler buddies and expecting them not to either melt down or wave a white flag. But if you’re looking for a game to scratch your itch for a good challenge, look into this one without delay.

V_Arnold

Great job on the OT. Love the character art. Really looking forward to this game.

Thank you! :)
The next week should be interesting - as embargos will be lifted, a lot more gameplay videos/infos should flow in soon - I plan on writing my impressions by that time as well.

cj_iwakura

Geez. If you're a shmup fan and don't own a 360, it's starting to sound more and more like you're getting screwed this gen.

:(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Nice, I didn't even know this was coming out. Definitely getting it now.

Had my eye on this for a while. Reminds me of a 'blue sky' Sega game. Characters look vaguely Starfox-ish, which is cool, what with them being pilots.

Will there be online leaderboards?

V_Arnold

Had my eye on this for a while. Reminds me of a 'blue sky' Sega game. Characters look vaguely Starfox-ish, which is cool, what with them being pilots.

Will there be online leaderboards?

Yes, there are online leaderboards. Prepare for grinding! :D

You say trailers in the OP but I only see pictures. Where them pro Japanese TAS-like videos at.

Thanks for the notice...I managed to save one of the non-final posts when making this thread. Made the corrections.

cj_iwakura

I see some stuff that I like and stuff that I don't like, but it's Suda 51 so I'll give it a chance.

Suda 51 hasn't directed a game since the Killer7/No More Heroes days. He's by and large a supervisory person now. Not to say that doesn't help games along, but he's hardly directly responsible for what Grasshopper develops as of late.

Two things:

1) I am very interested in the game.

2) Did they fix the "Blue Bullets on Blue Background" issues from the early trailer?

jbueno

I'll get this to support the devs, but I must say I'm not too enthusiastic from the videos I've seen and the impressions I've read. Hopefully that changes once I get to play the game.

Tain

I'll try the XBLA trial, but all of the videos I've seen of this game (including the "Normal vs Insane" one) make it look like it just isn't for me.

I really don't see the Battle Garegga influence that the devs keep bringing up, either.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Looking forward to it. A polygonal shmup with impressive graphics and production values is a rare treat indeed.

Y'got a higher-res source of those ship and character pics, OP?

V_Arnold

Looking forward to it. A polygonal shmup with impressive graphics and production values is a rare treat indeed.

Y'got a higher-res source of those ship and character pics, OP?

The Ships come from the Sine Mora facebook page, where they were around twice the size. The characters came from googling, but on the official site ( here ), they are bigger.

2) Did they fix the "Blue Bullets on Blue Background" issues from the early trailer?

The missiles (both orange and the blue) sport a small white aura around them, making the blue distinguishable from the blue blackgrounds, for example.

Oh SNAP. This looks really freakin' sweet!

Dang, looks like I've gotta dust off the 360 and enjoy some bullet hell on the large screen. I haven't been this psyched for an XBLA game in ages!

decaf

I'll have a review of this up on Ready Up next Wednesday.

Can't talk about the game until the embargo but...

Q: Are there any plans for DLC content?
A:Nope.

A 2-player mode was planned, but had to be removed due to time constraints. I was told at TGS last year if the game proves successful this feature could be added (as well as a PC, Vita, etc. ports).

Gaspode_T

I would be shocked if the contract with Microsoft (that was decided fairly recently) would allow them to port the game, but who knows, stranger things have happened

danmaku

I'll try the XBLA trial, but all of the videos I've seen of this game (including the "Normal vs Insane" one) make it look like it just isn't for me.

I really don't see the Battle Garegga influence that the devs keep bringing up, either.

I think they're talking about the ship design, look similar to Garegga. Anyway, the time based mechanic sounds interesting, and the game looks great. Will buy!

Gaspode_T

I was so pumped for this game until they announced it's an XBLA exclusive... now I'll never get to play it :(

You like shmups, but you don't have an Xbox...Kickstarter for random GAFfer time

I kind of wish they would do something radical like pitch a scifi anime/manga series off of this, it has been too long since I've seen a good scifi series come out of Japan (maybe Eden: it's an endless world)

SOME-MIST

nice thread - subscribed. Tho it doesn't look nearly as good as the G.Rev and Cave releases this gen, it's definitely a game I will pickup. I doubt it will have an intricate scoring system (which will greatly reduce the replayability for me), but I'm sure this will be more of a game I play for fun rather than competitively.

Gowans

Really looking forward to this, a proper new SHMUP.

Took a while for me to get into the art but I really like how different t is.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wanna like this game, but man, it looks so..... euro.

They can namedrop Garegga and Progear all they like, I'm not feeling it.

V_Arnold

I wanna like this game, but man, it looks so..... euro.

They can namedrop Garegga and Progear all they like, I'm not feeling it.

It is not ..."euro". You will realize this once the embargo lifts up, and there will be more gameplay videos available. : )

I love shmups.A lot.

I just don't have the time or money for a 360.

Money I can understand, I share that problem (although it's becoming less of an issue, especially if we finally get a price drop this year), but I don't get what time has to do with it. It's not like you would have more time if all those shmups were on another platform.

V_Arnold

And they have put up the Sine Mora Launch Trailer.

This is by far the best video out of the game. Only one issue with this: Youtube videos will not be able to reflect the 60fps gameplay - having played these sessions, they feel much better when you are in control, and it is not a 30fps video :D

And they have put up the Sine Mora Launch Trailer.

This is by far the best video out of the game. Only one issue with this: Youtube videos will not be able to reflect the 60fps gameplay - having played these sessions, they feel much better when you are in control, and it is not a 30fps video :D
LOVE the launch trailer. Graphics look incredible, seriously. I hope the music in the trailer is from the game as well. Just one more day!!!

Top Bottom