• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sine Mora |OT| Revenge is a dish best served in a timely manner

V_Arnold

It's not really "supported" if you are feature limited by using it. The game doesn't offer the ability to change your movement speed unless you're using analog controls, which is only possible via the thumbsticks. Arcade sticks are purely digital input.

I still played the first week with an arcade stick out of pride, lol :D
But analogue is waaaay better, yep.

Also, 11th place on Challenging Story mode leaderboard. Hell yeah!

Himself

I would love to see DR work on a game with a similar art style, but playable in 3D a la PS1 Warhawk. The few moments where the camera sweeps past your ship flying into or away from the screen have so much potential.

Tokubetsu

I would love to see DR work on a game with a similar art style, but playable in 3D a la PS1 Warhawk. The few moments where the camera sweeps past your ship flying into or away from the screen have so much potential.

Yea. Maybe an on rails shooter like Omega Boost or After Burner too. Was PS1 Warhawk like that? I can't remember.

Himself

Yea. Maybe an on rails shooter like Omega Boost or After Burner too. Was PS1 Warhawk like that? I can't remember.

PS1 Warhawk had some pretty large open space areas that you were free to fly about it. There were also some corridor-esque sections that probably can't be considered strictly on rails. Never head of Omega Boost, but it's not on my list of stuff to check out.

I'm trying to find the Maschouka's weak point. Haven't found it yet. Is it terribly obvious for those who have figured it out?

Tokubetsu

PS1 Warhawk had some pretty large open space areas that you were free to fly about it. There were also some corridor-esque sections that probably can't be considered strictly on rails. Never head of Omega Boost, but it's not on my list of stuff to check out.

I'm trying to find the Maschouka's weak point. Haven't found it yet. Is it terribly obvious for those who have figured it out?

Which boss is Maschouka?

EDIT: NVM, it's the train right? As far as I can tell, you just need to focus on the guns.

V_Arnold

Mathousca's weak point is
In the last phase, the main "wheel" that spins - I know it is not wheel, but I do not know the definition of it on trains. It is in the front of the train, connecting to the rails. Sometimes it only becomes targetable after a few seconds in that phase.

Himself

After playing cave's latest game on the phone I'm craving more imma go for this baby. You guys seem to dig it.

I wouldn't say this game is Cave-esque, but it is really good. I hope you enjoy it.

In the last phase, the main "wheel" that spins - I know it is not wheel, but I do not know the definition of it on trains. It is in the front of the train, connecting to the rails. Sometimes it only becomes targetable after a few seconds in that phase.

Thanks. Not sure why a "weak point" would come
when the thing is pretty much already dead anyway

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member

I think you can hit the wheel pretty much anytime you have slowmo activated.

Tokubetsu

I really love the voice acting even though I don't speak Hungarian. Adds so much character to the game.

Durak!

<Incomprehensible Robot Sounds>

Love the game but I really wish you could play Arcade mode on a more reasonable difficulty. I'm just not good enough at it to survive for long let alone finish a level.

Himself

I really love the voice acting even though I don't speak Hungarian. Adds so much character to the game.

Durak!

<Incomprehensible Robot Sounds>

Completely agree. I just love the way some of the lines of dialogue sound.

Love the game but I really wish you could play Arcade mode on a more reasonable difficulty. I'm just not good enough at it to survive for long let alone finish a level.

I felt the same way at first too. After a bit of practice and experimentation with pilots (Magusa works best for me) and secondary fire (reflection or whatever it's called), I made some progress. Arcade mode feels about as difficult as your standard shmup to me now. It's all about getting weapon power ups and not losing them.

Yea, the hardest part about the other modes is the time stuff. The most nerve racking sections are boss fights, and when there are no enemies on screen!

Yes, when I am running out of time and there's no enemies onscreen, I am anxious for the screen to scroll quicker, ha ha! Then when they finally do show up, I start frantically shooting.

It seems that when you get very low on remaining seconds, it's hard to claw any decent amount of time back. One hit from an enemy at that point can finish your game!

At the moment I am still trying to master Moneta Point on score attack. It's tough. Boss attack mode at least lets you brush up on your skills against problematic bosses without having to wait until they pop up at the end of levels.

Tokubetsu

I'm going through story again on hard before I hit up arcade/score attack seriously.

Is there an easy/cheat way to do the garbage disposal section in the factory? The one where you have go through with the garbage or you get incinerated?

Speaking of incomprehensible robot noises, is there a good summary of the story anywhere? Just beat the game and I'm mildly confused.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
So did anyone figure out what the pick up with the
"???" and giant piano that insta-kills you
does? I just had it happen to me while playing story on challenging.

Downloaded the demo and this looks so amazing on my 120" 1080p projector screen. I was blown away. Will pick it up after I finish some other XBLA games.

robot

Skydrift is a pretty awesome game by DR, it's aircraft combat racing. Not quite Warhawk but better than nothing!

So did anyone figure out what the pick up with the
"???" and giant piano that insta-kills you
does? I just had it happen to me while playing story on challenging.

In regards to that,
after encountering the piano for a 2nd time, I ended up with 999 credits

Don't know if it was because it happened twice or some other unknown factor. This was in story mode btw.

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the timer seems to reset when you've run out of time? Am I missing something?

Anyone got some good tips for multiplying my score? I've reached the top 100 for score attack mode on the first level (hard mode, not insane). Want to get higher!

Tokubetsu

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the timer seems to reset when you've run out of time? Am I missing something?

Anyone got some good tips for multiplying my score? I've reached the top 100 for score attack mode on the first level (hard mode, not insane). Want to get higher!

Thats one of the pickups, extend I believe. If you have it (It's the thing next to SHIELD) and time runs out, it resets.

Of course, i may be wrong.

V_Arnold

The timer resets on zero when you have an extend powerup with you (which is shown right below the timer. The Extend / Shield is either grey or white - if it is white, you have it equipped).

For the Score Attack mode... use the least special things possible as your ratings get higher the more time(!) you spend on "A" rating. That means that with the first boss, you should be able to use Reflection for a few seconds to survive his bullet hell pattern, and continue with an A rank, get the multiplier back to 3x~ between the two phases, then do the second phase without using anything, so you finish the level with the best possible score.

For the Matouschka boss, it is the same: you should never get hit there except maybe resorting to using the Reflection on phase 3 or 4 (with the one big cannon).

Ah, got it. Thanks guys. I've tried to work out what the powerups do through picking them up and taking notice of what they do. Some I am still not sure of, so I think you've cleared that one up for me.

I know there's a tutorial at the start that shows specifically what each colour of orb does, but I never caught them all as the screen was scrolling and the writing showed up barely readable on my standard definition screen. I should go back and have a look.

Cheers for the tips, too. The multiplier has been stuck at 1x during boss battles, and has only gone up on the bits between bosses, so that'll be where I've been going wrong.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Has anyone figured out what exactly unlocks the different paint jobs?

I've only unlocked one. It was the last one for the first plane. I believe it unlocked once I got to the second level in Arcade mode, but I'm not sure if thats what triggered it or not.

I've not unlocked any yet, and I am nearly done with the story. Not a clue how you unlock them.

Related to unlocking characters:

Still a couple of characters to unlock too, and as I mentioned earlier, I am nearly done with the story.

Deft Beck

I feel like the game has a really odd difficulty curve. Some moments, it's too easy, others it's a bit hard. I like the art and story, though.

The garbage disposal part (half an hour into the game) is unreasonably cheap.

Why are there still credit systems in "arcade" games? It just seems like a replacement for a life system. Especially in spots like the garbage disposal area early on, I kept losing credits every couple of minutes, and I don't want to have to slog through something I've already played.

I'm having mixed opinions about the game so far.

I feel like the game has a really odd difficulty curve. Some moments, it's too easy, others it's a bit hard. I like the art and story, though.

The garbage disposal part (half an hour into the game) is unreasonably cheap.

Why are there still credit systems in "arcade" games? It just seems like a replacement for a life system. Especially in spots like the garbage disposal area early on, I kept losing credits every couple of minutes, and I don't want to have to slog through something I've already played.

I'm having mixed opinions about the game so far.

Haha they didn't fix the shitty garbage disposal are for the Steam release?

SMH

Tendo

How does it run on Vita? Does it still have the beautiful explosion effects and 60fps of the PC version? Just wondering because I played the PC demo but would prefer it on my Vita.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Can anyone explain the "hp" system in this game? I know it's not one hit death, at least not on normal and challenging difficulties.

How many hits can I take? Anywhere to see how close to dying I am?

danmaku

The game runs on a time limit (hence the title), every time you get hit you lose some seconds and when the time runs out you lose a life, kinda like arcade racing games. Sounds great on paper, but when you actually play the game it's almost identical to a classic lives/energy system, so similar that you didn't even noticed it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The game runs on a time limit (hence the title), every time you get hit you lose some seconds and when the time runs out you lose a life, kinda like arcade racing games. Sounds great on paper, but when you actually play the game it's almost identical to a classic lives/energy system, so similar that you didn't even noticed it.

How many lives do you have? So if I don't fire a single shot or get hit I will eventually die ( also not picking up time extend ofc )?

danmaku

I can't remember how many lives you have, maybe it depends on the difficulty level. Anyway, it's shown near your score. You get a small time extend for each enemy you kill, and in this game it's quite easy to let some of them slip because you shot is awfully underpowered. If you don't shoot anyone you'll die by time over sooner or later, even if no one hits you.

V_Arnold

How many lives do you have? So if I don't fire a single shot or get hit I will eventually die ( also not picking up time extend ofc )?

If you keep firing, you will regain time. There are also several checkpoints that acts as time resetters, so one can plan accordingly.

The only thing that is really pressuring is -10sec or something like that per hitting walls (one would need to be precise to avoid it, comes naturally unless someone decides to quit at the cave level and never return again, hah.), and the bossfights, where you need to have a plan to come out alive.

It is easy to not lose time thanks to your powerups, but it is harder to avoid your score multiplier getting reseted (when you use your power or special shot). THAT is what is the depth in this game.

Damn, I need to play this again. Was quite high in the leaderboards for Hard mode and Challenging Story, I wonder how many have done better since I stopped improving...

archagon

Neo Member
I got this game on PC and I've been enjoying it tremendously. Out of all the games on my list, I didn't think that a shmup would have one of the most memorable stories of the year!

For anyone confused, here are some key plot points:
  • The two warring factions are the Empire and the Enkies. The Collaborationists (Koss, Pytel) were originally Enkies who decided to join the Empire. The Enkies can travel through time while the Empire can not -- at least not through natural means.
  • The game starts with the Enkie civilization getting mostly destroyed. As you find out in the train mission, most of the remaining Enkies were horribly mutilated and enslaved by the Empire in order to appropriate their time travel abilities. These several million Enkie bodies were placed in the fortress Syriad, which gets destroyed at the end of the game.
  • There are two separate groups of fighters that you play as: the remaining Enkie rebellion, and Koss's blackmailed/stolen fighters who he wants to use to avenge his son's death. Their stories eventually intersect.
  • Many of the stages take place at the same time as other stages (you can tell by the dialog), or in the same places as other stages but at different times. There's a lot of overlap.
  • The first Enkie, named ENKY, predicted the end of the Enkie species down to the year.
  • Notice the date during each stage. (A "circle" is a year.) It might be confusing at first, but if you read the encyclopedia, you'll find out that the Empire counts time forwards, while the Enkies count time BACKWARDS -- down to their annihilation. This is why The last stage is set during "circle zero". After Syriad is destroyed, the Enkie race is over.

You can learn a lot from the in-game encyclopedia, which gets unlocked once you beat the game. There's also this TVTropes page. And definitely be sure to play the Alternative Story mode -- it fills in a lot of gaps and gives the story closure.

Unfortunately, I think there might be some major plot holes relating to the time travel, unless I missed something. (
Why couldn't Koss go back in time to save his son, or Pytel to save his father? What was the point in Koss sending Magusa and the robot back in time? How could Dryad go back in time and give birth to ENKY, when that had already happened?
) Kind of a shame, but ah well!

Bumpy bump

Thanks for that last post man! Fills in alot

LOVED this on Vita sooo much ( made a thread too that no one cared about :p ) that I bought the PS3 version out of principle. Still playing it as well and as far as I'm concerned, the devs succeeded in bringing newcomers into the genre

9/10

I just recently discovered this gem of a game. So glad I did. It's the best looking shoot-em-up I've ever played. Digging the time mechanic, the different ships, the difficulty curve, the insane bosses.. Great game!!

Fonz72

Got this as part of PS+ and as a new Vita owner, I finally got a chance to play it. I'm enjoying it so far. Beautiful game and the story has quite a hook. Not too far in, but so far so good.

I saw this game mentioned several times in a Persona thread, just started playing it, so I thought the OT should come back!

Top Bottom