• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skulls of the Shogun |OT| War advances on XBLA, Windows Phone, Windows 8 & Surface

boxartlarge.png

Publisher: Microsoft
Developer: 17 Bit
Platforms:
What is it?: A "fast paced turn-based strategy game" where you play a recently deceased General Akamoto, who arrives at the Shores of the Dead and quickly becomes determined to become Shogun. Of the Dead.

Modes:
  • Singleplayer Campaign
  • Four Player Local
  • Four Player Online Concurrent
  • Four Player Online Asynchronous
Videos:
Screenshots:

2277946-sots_1.jpg
2277947-sots_2.jpg
2277952-sots_11.jpg

sotswin8mp-1.png

Wallpapers & Avatars: here

Reviews:

char_arch.png
char_fox.png

Google Doc - Sign Up & Find Players - http://tinyurl.com/skullsgaf

Didn't seem like someone was going to do one, so I said why not!
*Not really a Superbowl Ad
story_3.png
char_kuro.png

So wheres the early purchase price for 360? Will buy at DOTW to show my loyalty.
Yeah, the fact the deal is no on XBLA is a poor showing by MS, they should be trying to encourage success of the game in general, especially in what feels like a post-Minecraft XBLA lulled world.

AkuMifune

Banned
Like the game itself, let me reboot my initial thought...

Never liked the art style or premise, but the talent and work behind it is unquestionable. Plus so many journalists and devs have been talking about how amazing it's going to be for years.

Cautiously curious!

Bought! Downloading now on Windows 8. You can never have enough turn based strategy games; this should be good!

P.s, Microsoft really need to sort out their download system. Show me the actual download rate, rather than a silly green bar.

*Edit - It won't sign me into Live. :(

Well Live is suffering from some issues right now for some people. I was off for about 5 minutes, but it's good again for me.
I don't believe it's related, it happens with a lot of Windows 8 releases. I've contacted support, just to let them know what's up. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

So, GAF, I really liked Advance Wars and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and I'm currently in the process of foaming at the mouth from Nintendo not shipping Fire Emblem to Europe for another 3 months.

I should get this, right?

Also, is it multiplayer-focused (do I have to get a new gold subscription)?

Hey thanks for the sale price for the XBLA version, MS.

So, GAF, I really liked Advance Wars and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and I'm currently in the process of foaming at the mouth from Nintendo not shipping Fire Emblem to Europe for another 3 months.

I should get this, right?
Probably.

Scenester

I believe Advance Wars was a big influence on this game, which is the main reason I'm grabbing it! Love me some turn based strategy.

I know theres a story mode and multiplayer modes. Not 100% sure wether multiplayer is necessary to maximize the value of the purchase, but these kinds of games are typically great against other human opponents. I'll be forking out for a months worth of gold to have a few games (and to maybe grab a few multiplayer achievements I have still to get in a couple of other games).

Awesome, Windows 8 really is sadness.
I downloaded demo to try and it starts and crashes, tried Pacman, starts and crashes, everything else works fine.
Oh well, guess I'll just stick to Steam and Windows stuff can just "stick it"

Alur

As I said in the other thread, got an early XBLA code of this and it's been great so far. My only real complaint is that I can't customize my soldiers, which isn't that big of a deal in the long run I guess, I just like naming and choosing abilities.

The story/conversations are pretty funny, and the gameplay feels fluid. The movement is great, and the tactical additions like the spirit wall and the knockbacks keep things from devolving into a bash fest. I'd definitely recommend it if you like turn based strategy.

Got it for Win8 and my Nokia 920, really like it so far. Cloud saving is awesome. I downloaded and played the first level on my phone, then bought it on my laptop. The first time I opened the game on my laptop it says "continue" instead of "new game" and yup, started out on the second level. Every game on a Microsoft system should be like this!

Daigoro

im a fan of TBS. really dont like the art style here though.

is it asynchronous on all platforms? 360 too?

that has me interested.

Hey thanks for the sale price for the XBLA version, MS.

Probably.
Didn't you already get the sale when buying your Microsoft points? Aren't you paying in cash for WP8 and W8 market? That's perhaps their reasoning behind less frequent, and less substantial XBLA sales.

Getting 20% off games, when you already (probably) got 20%~ off the points doesn't make much sense to me.

Bought for my Surface and Lumia 920. Still absurd there's no unified apps.
The lack of universal purchase if you buy the XBLA or PC version seems silly now.
I agree. I remember I talked to the Crackdown WP7 game developer at GamesCom 2010 if there are plans for universal purchase and he said yes. Seems like it never happened.
How does it run on WP8? Thinking of popping my HTC 8X's gaming cherry.
Not sure if it was because of the game but my HTC 8X's got pretty hot. But to its defense, I have used another app for hours before starting the game.

Didn't you already get the sale when buying your Microsoft points? Aren't you paying in cash for WP8 and W8 market? That's perhaps their reasoning behind less frequent, and less substantial XBLA sales.

Getting 20% off games, when you already (probably) got 20%~ off the points doesn't make much sense to me.
How significant a percentage of XBLA gamers actually buy reduced points?

FGMPR

Banned
So... would it be classified as port begging if I wanted to know why on earth a developer would relegate themselves to Windows 8, an OS that gamers notoriously despise and are refusing to "upgrade" to instead of building up a name for themselves on the platform that has nurtured more excellent indie titles to great sales than any other service (Steam) by far? Because this game does look excellent, and should be the kind of thing that is ported to anything and everything capable of running it.

MCD

So... would it be classified as port begging if I wanted to know why on earth a developer would relegate themselves to Windows 8, an OS that gamers notoriously despise and are refusing to "upgrade" to instead of building up a name for themselves on the platform that has nurtured more excellent indie titles to great sales than any other service (Steam) by far? Because this game does look excellent, and should be the kind of thing that is ported to anything and everything capable of running it.

1- Funded by MS.

2- MS is trying to start asynchronous gameplay with all their services. They need to start from somewhere.

3- It's available on 3 platforms. Yes, I know everyone and their mother hates Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but you can still buy it on X360. Pretty impressive for an indie dev to release this on three platforms and with multi to boot.

4- Funded by MS.

FGMPR

Banned
ah ok. I didn't know the whole thing was MS funded. I figured it was similar to the many XBLA titles that MS pay 6 months of exclusivity for.

*Partially funded by MS. I too would prefer it on Steam, running on Windows 7, but c'est la vie!

I remember when I first met the dudes behind this at a friends party back some 3 years ago during E3 and I got all excited at the idea of going indie from AAA. Which I finally did last year just as this game was being held up for the Windows 8/Phone8/Xbox Live cross platform launch (which should make the reasoning behind it not launching on another service all the more obvious, it was built with asynchronous play by 2 coders...)

And now the game is out, which is awesome! Though I am *10* points away from being able to purchase it, which is breaking my heart right now. I'm trying to get off the MS points train (and XBLA in general) so I might have to wait a bit.

Also, lol at no one noticing that Cory Schmitz (designer of the 17 bit studio logo) posted in this thread.

Top Bottom