• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skulls of the Shogun |OT| War advances on XBLA, Windows Phone, Windows 8 & Surface

S1kkZ

switching to easy was a good decision. its still challenging but the enemy ai doesnt straight up rape you anymore.

easy should have been normal and normal the hard setting, imo of course.

Teknoman

Best commercial ever.

*waits for fox to pick up the bit about skull eating lol

Really reminds me of 90s video game ads, which is cool.

Been waiting on this game since the first announcement so definitely giving the trial a shot. Cant have enough turn based strategy games, especially with a unique premise.

MarkMacD

+Hilarious writing and storytelling
Props to Gaming Jesus

Awww :blush:

I gotta say, FWIW, as much as I played this game -- and I played it a LOT, at every stage of development, especially as the final script came together -- I honestly never got tired of it, which to me is a pretty great sign. Hope you guys all give it a shot, I think that's all it'll take.

Jaagen

Played the first couple of missions, and it seems good so far. My only issue however is that I don't like that I have to drag to move units around. Doesn't work that well on a 4.5" screen.

lingiii

Banned
Picked this up on my Surface and Windows Phone. Did the first several missions on Surface, then went to pick it up on my phone during a dook break at work, and discovered save data doesn't sync. I suppose I really should have expected this, but all the talk about Skulls Anywhere enabling cross-platform play made me think it would also cross-platform campaign progress. Alas, I'll probably just do campaign on Surface and versus on phone.

Regardless! Really liking it so far. More thoughts to follow as I get into it proper.

Picked this up on my Surface and Windows Phone. Did the first several missions on Surface, then went to pick it up on my phone during a dook break at work, and discovered save data doesn't sync. I suppose I really should have expected this, but all the talk about Skulls Anywhere enabling cross-platform play made me think it would also cross-platform campaign progress. Alas, I'll probably just do campaign on Surface and versus on phone.

Regardless! Really liking it so far. More thoughts to follow as I get into it proper.

It should sync your campaign progress (other people in the thread have confirmed this, playing on the phone and picking where they left off on the Surface).

I'm definitely going to be picking this up tonight (played the trial on my phone and Surface last night, and really enjoyed it). I wish there was a better way to buy the three-pack, but the sales promotion is nice.

derFeef

Looks good on Win8, some lowres stuff, but overall pretty pleasing to the eye :)
Also it's hard...

8429886875_c7e1262a8f_h.jpg

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
It's a shame that only the XBLA version of the game has both real-time and asynchronous multiplayer, while the W8 and WP7 versions only have asynchronous. Hopefully the real-time mode can be patched into those versions at a later date.

Other than that, the game has been well worth the wait.

Alur

Eating skulls? WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT EARLIER. BRB GOING TO PLUNDER MY BANK ACCOUNT.

Eating skulls AND summoning demons (as well as turning into demons, occasionally). All handled in a cheeky and properly over the top manner.

I have to echo the statement above someone made about the tutorials being well integrated into the actual conversation. Definitely another plus.

Eh I gave it it's due, but tbh if I', playing a strat game I'd rather be playing XCom or Fire Emblem that's coming out. Pretty neat idea, like the artwork, the music, and such, but the gameplay doesn't grab me, just my opinion. Neat idea, kind of poor execution, had higher hopes for this one; oh well.

Really enjoying it so far, between my phone and Xbox.
Good mix of frustration and enjoyment when you do well.
The dialogue has been chuckle worthy, I hope it continues to build on that as there's even more potential there for my enjoyment.

I'm honestly not great at it, but I can already feel myself getting better.
It's a shame that only the XBLA version of the game has both real-time and asynchronous multiplayer, while the W8 and WP7 versions only have asynchronous. Hopefully the real-time mode can be patched into those versions at a later date.
Windows 8 doesn't have realtime multiplayer? That's .. not good. Huh. Really hope they patch that in.
I have to echo the statement above someone made about the tutorials being well integrated into the actual conversation. Definitely another plus.
Yeah, the tutorial bits they do give you in the dialogue are great and a good way of doing it, but they don't hit every point, and I picked up one or two things from the How To Play.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Async is basically play by mail. You take your turn, it goes into the cloud, the opponent's notified it's their turn to play. Works great for turn-based strategy games and board games like Ticket to Ride.

lingiii

Banned
It should sync your campaign progress (other people in the thread have confirmed this, playing on the phone and picking where they left off on the Surface).

I'm definitely going to be picking this up tonight (played the trial on my phone and Surface last night, and really enjoyed it). I wish there was a better way to buy the three-pack, but the sales promotion is nice.

oh really? hmm maybe it's just launch day troubs. phone is also saying I can't view leaderboards because I'm not logged in. I'll have to follow up on this.

So yup, the game lets you sync completed stages AND even your progress within a stage. I played halfway through a long level on my laptop, saved, and picked up right where I left off in the level a bit later on my phone. It's such a small thing, but it just feels right. I can already tell I'm going to be super annoyed at all multiplatform games from here on out that don't have this feature.

Pooya

Didn't realize how big the map is until now, how long is this game? normal has about the right challenge imo, it's not mash to victory at all. having a blast with it. gamepad works a lot better than m/k.

Didn't realize how big the map is until now, how long is this game? normal has about the right challenge imo, it's not mash to victory at all. having a blast with it. gamepad works a lot better than m/k.
Yeah, I'm happy with normal. I've gotten bloodied a few times, but I end up restarting the mission and trying to see what works and what doesn't.

I was hoping there would also be a 'difficult' campaign, but it's remedied by the number of gold skulls to collect. Some of them seem like they'll be fairly difficult to get.

I'm on the last level now (I think). It's the only challenging one thus far!

Sho Nuff

Banned

There are 20 stages total. In regards to game length, I'd spitball it at 10+ hours? It's really dependent on how good you are at TBS games. (Note that the completion times on the leaderboards are only active player time -- the game does NOT count time in cutscenes or AI player time.)

Lombax

Banned
Played some multi-player at PAXEast last year and it was fantastic. Awesome news that it has finally come out!

I am saddened that I do not own any of the platforms this game is coming out on.
Any chance the game will be up on steam so us non-win8 users can get our hands on it?

Kifimbo

Played some multi-player at PAXEast last year and it was fantastic. Awesome news that it has finally come out!

I am saddened that I do not own any of the platforms this game is coming out on.
Any chance the game will be up on steam so us non-win8 users can get our hands on it?

Maybe one day.

"Working with MS, we were all really excited about the cross-platform nature of the game (it’s a great fit for mouse, touch, and gamepad, which is rare). We had a choice to support either Windows 8 or GFWL on Windows 7.”

Anyway. Say Borut, “obviously non-Win 8 PC gamers are still very important to us (especially since at least half the team will probably continue to fall in that category), but beyond that I can’t really go into contractual details as to why that part makes business sense for us. Pretty sure I can’t even fuzzily portend what might become apparent at a later date.” I think we can all read between the lines there, eh? And yeah, if that means what it sounds like it means, I guess you can’t blame a small, independent dev for going for it.

Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/no-7-samurai-skulls-of-the-shogun-goes-win-8-only/

The
get over the bridge as increasing amounts of dudes flank you
was the most fun mission yet, the game is an good dose of challenging fun after work.
Spent a good while debating what I wanted to do, moving guys back and forth, canceling moves, etc.

These are the visual bugs on the HTC 8S:

I'm switching to a 920 anyway, but my gf will be getting the 8S, so it'd be nice if they were fixed.

The Dashboard presence, here in Ireland anyway seems ... small.
I'm sure yesterday it was on the main Games space, but today it's relegated to the Arcade screen.

The
get over the bridge as increasing amounts of dudes flank you
was the most fun mission yet, the game is an good dose of challenging fun after work.
Spent a good while debating what I wanted to do, moving guys back and forth, canceling moves, etc.

These are the visual bugs on the HTC 8S:

I'm switching to a 920 anyway, but my gf will be getting the 8S, so it'd be nice if they were fixed.

The Dashboard presence, here in Ireland anyway seems ... small.
I'm sure yesterday it was on the main Games space, but today it's relegated to the Arcade screen.

If you see these bugs and glitching, feel free to send them to support@skullsoftheshogun.com. There will be a title update sometime, and right now we're compiling issues like this. Always tricky on the phone side when you have so many different handsets. Thanks, and keep on eatin' them skulls.

Quasar

Downloaded the trial, but for some reason the I can't log into (I guess) my XBL/Microsoft account through the game. Dunno why.

I'm glad to see this get released in Win8 like this. brings me some hope MS will see the light en encourage as many XBLA games as possible to release at the same time on Win8. certainly would seem like a good idea, after all MS gets its cut just like on XBLA, unlike with win32 apps.

Though I am wondering why, as the Ars review notes, "Only Xbox 360 enjoys live, ranked multiplayer modes".

Is this a limitation of XBL on Win8/WP8?

AkuMifune

Banned
Am I a horrible person because I love everything about this game but can't get past the art style enough to play anymore? It's like a D-league flash game. Will try again if I pick up a Windows Phone 8 next month, which I'm seriously considering.

It's ok, I already knew I was a horrible person.

Am I a horrible person because I love everything about this game but can't get past the art style enough to play anymore? It's like a D-league flash game. Will try again if I pick up a Windows Phone 8 next month, which I'm seriously considering.

It's ok, I already knew I was a horrible person.
*shrug* I know Adventure Time is a great show, and its wackiness should be perfect for me, but I can't get into it.

There are bits of the art style I don't like. Sakura reminds me of Jynx. Not in a good way.
Is there a good way?

Giantbomb are currently playing the game (and Chivalry) for their TNT.
Giving out a few XBLA codes too.

Top Bottom