• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skulls of the Shogun |OT| War advances on XBLA, Windows Phone, Windows 8 & Surface

Gowans

I was going to see if there was a trial on the Win 8 store, isn't showing up here in the UK but the store doesn't have a search or they have gone out of their way to hide it ???!??

Daigoro

so assuming the answer is yes to my previously unaswered question-

is this the first asynchronous multiplayer game on the 360? i cant think of another one... i might have to buy it for that reason alone.

pilonv1

Enjoying this, looks great on my Lumia. Does drain the battery but so does pretty much everything on the 920.

Will pick up the XBLA version later tonight.

I was going to see if there was a trial on the Win 8 store, isn't showing up here in the UK but the store doesn't have a search or they have gone out of their way to hide it ???!??

Search is in the same place as everywhere else, on the charms menu at the top. It searches whatever "app" you happen to be in at the time.

For all MS's efforts to make Win8 simple, I've had to Google tons of basic functions so far (shutdown/restart, for example).

Gowans

Search is in the same place as everywhere else, on the charms menu at the top. It searches whatever "app" you happen to be in at the time.

For all MS's efforts to make Win8 simple, I've had to Google tons of basic functions so far (shutdown/restart, for example).

Ahh got it fab, and it has a trial on Win 8 FAB (tho if I pick up it will be on XBLA)

Twinduct

Yep. Maybe we're just not hip enough for their thinking.
Win8 running on a 210GT lol don't think I'll be able to buy this heh.

Daigoro

watching the quicklook, it looks much more palatable in action to me. so that's nice.

didnt know it was cross platform between windows 8, 360, and mobile. cool stuff. that would be even cooler if i had Windows 8, and Windows phone or a tablet. but i dont, so that feature is entirely useless to me.

asynch really has me interested though. definitely checking out the demo to see how it plays.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hard not to repeat what's been said...

Game is great. Reminds me of how I felt playing Band of Bugs at the early days of 360 life cycle. It's a streamlined RTS, and I think, in a way, making it like this fits the "arcade" nature much more than the "Try to be AAA retail" titles some companies aim for. 17 bit lives up to their name, in the "easy to play, hard to master" traditional gaming department well.

The game seems to have an attract mode, too, and that's also kudos on sticking to the company theme! Takes a while to come up, but it's worth the wait :)

The Demo was nice. Letting you run through the tutorial portion, and then jump ahead into a quality real battle. I wish they set it up somehow, like "Ok, and now for a taste of the Skull-banging action you'll see in the full game!"... it just kinda drops you in.

Flashy-stuff might not be my favorite 2D animation style, but it's used well here. Watching the enemies cower when you're doing strong damage to them, the way the characters put up their swords when no attack rounds are left, the fact that skullheads actually stay behind with the helmets of the class they were before death... it's got a nice level of polish, that helps to show 17-Bit was actually DOING something while we were all awaiting release ;)

I don't particularily care much for multiplayer achievements in games like this, but I guess the crossplay focus will help with this a lot.

It's the first big, exclusive stunner of XBLA this year, and I think it's one of the best ways to start this years real XBLA offerings. Looking forward to getting to really sink into it!

Will get XBLA version, can't buy WP8 version - no CC :/

You can add a Paypal account to the wallet or use your carrier's subscription if you have no credit card attached.

I didn't see it on my phone's marketplace, so I downloaded it manually using my PC, then put the XAP file on my 820's SD card, but it doesn't show in the actual store. I guess the application you want to install from SD needs to be listed in the store for your region?

derFeef

You can add a Paypal account to the wallet or use your carrier's subscription if you have no credit card attached.

I didn't see it on my phone's marketplace, so I downloaded it manually using my PC, then put the XAP file on my 820's SD card, but it doesn't show in the actual store. I guess the application you want to install from SD needs to be listed in the store for your region?

Only works if you have a CC attached to your PayPal account - sadly not with normal credit.
Carrier payment is sadly also not available for me.

I tried the PC trial last night, really enjoyed it. Anyone know if you can use MS points on the Windows 8 store or I do I have to use my credit card?

U2NUMB

I tried the PC trial last night, really enjoyed it. Anyone know if you can use MS points on the Windows 8 store I do I have to use my credit card?

As far as I know you can not use points and that upsets me big time. Why I can not buy stuff on my surface with points even though Xbox Live is built into the system is plain stupid.

Pooya

you can use cc and paypal on the store,
I blame all those people complaining about "space bucks", not knowing you can get those space buck easily for less than their real money value -_-

U2NUMB

you can use cc and paypal on the store,
I blame all those people complaining about "space bucks", not knowing you can get those space buck easily for less than their real money value -_-

I am not complaining about space bucks.. I am complaining that I can not use the space bucks I have on my 360 for purchases of an Xbox Live game on Windows 8. I pick them up cheap or cheaper than normal and would like to use them on all things Xbox no matter what platform.

Pooya

I'm saying that they are phasing out the points slowly, that's why it's not there, the next xbox probably won't have them either, there was a rumor on the verge about it.

points were a good thing, I liked them. but they are going out, because people were all space bucks and allards about them :p

Scenester

Just got it on XBLA and beat the first world. Really getting the Advance Wars Vibe, plus a bit of Valkyria Chronicles mixed in (in terms of the set number of orders per turn, set amount of unit movement before and after attacks etc.) The writing and humor is spot on also. The tutorial messages are really well integrated with the dialogue. Haven't tried the online yet but the singleplayer is solid.

Hana-Bi

Only works if you have a CC attached to your PayPal account - sadly not with normal credit.
Carrier payment is sadly also not available for me.

That's not true for the normal Windows Store. You can use PayPal with normal credit (Germany). Don't know why it shouldn't be possible on the WP Store.

derFeef

That's not true for the normal Windows Store. You can use PayPal with normal credit (Germany). Don't know why it shouldn't be possible on the WP Store.
I just tried it via the webstore - I have plenty of credits there, paypal still tells me I should add a CC - I am in Austria if that matters. Is there a way to add MS points/credit via paypal?
edit: ah normal Windows Store - guess it's different for the Phone Store then.

Ok, I'm going to buy this for XBLA, but I'd appreciate if someone could help me with some questions about microsoft points.

Some time ago there was some news that microsoft now allows accounts to be transfered across regions, or something like that. My question is; what exactly has been allowed?

And more importantly, does this mean I can now use bing rewards with my European (Dutch) Xbox 360?

1- Funded by MS.

2- MS is trying to start asynchronous gameplay with all their services. They need to start from somewhere.

3- It's available on 3 platforms. Yes, I know everyone and their mother hates Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but you can still buy it on X360. Pretty impressive for an indie dev to release this on three platforms and with multi to boot.

4- Funded by MS.

Also...

5- Less competition on the service than iOS

6- Funded by MS.

Store does have a search. Just call up the W8 Charms (go to the right top corner), select search and there is an option with is "Store" (which is actually already selected if you call up the Charms inside the store).

Cartman86

Banned
So the Windows 8 implementation of "Xbox Live" is essentially leaderboards and achievements right? There is no way to check messages, receive invites etc on Windows 8 like with a Games for Windows Live game? I'm assuming the invites for Shogun will show up in game when you are in the multiplayer lobby since I haven't seen any message toasts while testing this with my Xbox. Doesn't seem to update my status and let people know i'm online playing a game. Only if they go into my profile they can see that it says something like "Last scene playing Skulls of the Shogun 1 minute ago". Seems kind of half assed...

hwalker84

Maybe you're just to ingrained in old ways and unable to think around the design logic for Windows 8. I sold my old PC to my most computer illiterate friend and when I remoted in the next day to help him troubleshoot a soundcard issue. He had already figured out navigation and had a firm grasp on Windows 8. This man can't install a program without my help.

Pooya

So the Windows 8 implementation of "Xbox Live" is essentially leaderboards and achievements right? There is no way to check messages, receive invites etc on Windows 8 like with a Games for Windows Live game? I'm assuming the invites for Shogun will show up in game when you are in the multiplayer lobby since I haven't seen any message toasts while testing this with my Xbox. Doesn't seem to update my status and let people know i'm online playing a game. Only if they go into my profile they can see that it says something like "Last scene playing Skulls of the Shogun 1 minute ago". Seems kind of half assed...

'Games' app does those I think.

I need to buy this Win8 upgrade before tomorrow now, don't I?

price promotion ends tomorrow, yeah.

S1kkZ

man, the game seems pretty challenging. i am not the best strategy gamer, but man its kicking my ass.

love the game so far (level 5 right now).

ElNino

Bought it last night on my Lumia 900 and played some of it on the train this morning. It runs really well on WP7.5 (soon to be 7.8 I guess) too.

Owensboro

Really bummed this is W8 exclusive. Oh well, Fire Emblem is around the corner.

Goddamn it, it's Win 8 only on PCs? I saw Win8 in the OP, but figured it was backwards compatable.

Does this have any chance of appearing on Windows 7 and/or Steam?

I swear to god I'm not port begging, I'm just legitimately curious about this question. Anyone have an answer? I'm going to assume that no one has insider info (or can talk about it) and (hopefully) it's locked behind a timed contract (1yr?) like every other 360 exclusive was. Oh wait, it's partially funded by MS? Does that mean they have control over it never being released on Win 7?

I don't have a working 360 anymore, I'm not going to upgrade to Win 8 anytime soon (or ever), and I'm sure as heck not buying a Windows Phone. However, I don't want to miss a game that is made my someone who loved Advance Wars, and wanted to make his own version. Damn Advance Wars was good. Nintendo needs to make one for the Wii U.
Just got it on XBLA and beat the first world. Really getting the Advance Wars Vibe, plus a bit of Valkyria Chronicles...
Damn it. Valkyria Chronicles name drop? Mabye I can borrow a friend's 360 for a weekend......

Maybe you're just to ingrained in old ways and unable to think around the design logic for Windows 8. I sold my old PC to my most computer illiterate friend and when I remoted in the next day to help him troubleshoot a soundcard issue. He had already figured out navigation and had a firm grasp on Windows 8. This man can't install a program without my help.

Quite possibly... but then again, I don't know anyone who expects to find shut down/restart in a settings menu.

The only real problems I ended up having to Google was that and how to close apps.

It's a damn shame that the game isn't cross-format (buy once, play on whatever). I had the same disappointment with PinballFX 2. Even if it was a slightly higher cost, or an upgrade fee to get a bundle, I could see this stuff really taking off. So for example if Win 8 only is £3, XBLA only is £3, WP only is £3, but get all versions for £6) or in the case of DLC based stuff like PBFX2 if you have a table on XBLA you get a discounted price on the same table on W8.

As it stands, I'm going to be real hesitant on which version of these games to buy.

zroid

Banned
I can't believe I'm being locked out of buying even PC games now :<

don't have any of these platforms, sadly...

Scenester

Damn it. Valkyria Chronicles name drop? Mabye I can borrow a friend's 360 for a weekend......

Well it's completely different thematically of course. I was just comparing the style of turn based gameplay where you have X amounts of "orders" to give during your turn, and you can move your units around strategically in realtime once you select them. Thats about the whole of it. The combat math, resource gathering and unit match-ups are very very Advance Wars.

I'm up to about the 7th mission or so and it's very tough already! I can see some of these golden skull challenges being a bitch to complete. Got a few already though so it'll just take practice. It'll be good training for online play anyhow.

So, is there any official forum for this game? I'd be pretty bummed if there wasn't a centralized place to discuss strategies and metagame stuffs.

Also, why has the OXM review been taken down?

Alur

man, the game seems pretty challenging. i am not the best strategy gamer, but man its kicking my ass.

love the game so far (level 5 right now).

It has been pretty challenging for me as well, due to my own lack of skill at strategizing. I just completed the "boss"/final battle of the Summer realm with only a 3 skull general, a 3 skull salamander monk and 3 skull fox monk. Third world/Summer world boss fight spoiler:
Those bastard Onis spawn every so often out of the caves if you get too close and wake them up. I didn't realize it til it was too late...wiped out most of my team. The game fakes you into going for those skulls there: bad idea.

So, is there any official forum for this game? I'd be really bummed if there wasn't a centralized place to discuss strategies and metagame stuffs.

Also, why has the OXM review been taken down?

I haven't found an official forum but wondered the same thing. I did notice there is an empty/blank tab in the menu of the actual Skulls of the Shogun! website...maybe that's their future intention?

Top Bottom