• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

rukland

I'm a bit hooked. Here's to more games that use the same peripherals.

For sure there is so many really cool things they can do with this system. I mean think about a deal with say I dunno Disney who just happens to own Marvel now as well.

I drool and cry at that thought I would be so so poor if they did that.

Zing

Banned
I'm not really sure how they would make a sequel using the same figures. The characters become so overpowered by the end of the game, there is really no way to continue the upgrades.

I'd think it would have to be an expansion or "sister game" that assumed the figures were starting out at level 1. I'd be happy with that.

I completed the game the other day, but have yet to do any adventure packs. My highest level character is Trigger Happy who is just slightly under level 10. Most of my other characters are level 6-7.

I'd be happy with a disc containing another 10-15 chapter campaign. Give me something new to do with the wave 2 figures.

chiQ

I think so long as the portal and old characters are supported by new titles I'll be happy, even if my characters lose all their stats when peered to the portal with a new game. If they have the capacity for it who says the characters couldn't support separate stats for separate titles? Obviously they'd be throwing up new characters though. That's where the cash is.

Zing

Banned
Good to see. I initially was thinking I would try to hold out and only buy figures in three-packs, but at the time, I wasn't sure there would be any more released. I doubt I would have been able to tolerate the wait, anyway.

Arggh… two more weeks before even a chance of getting the final set of figures.

Activision, please hurry!

dearLord.jpg

chiQ

I just want a three-pack with air and undead characters. Those are the only types I'm missing, and there are only single-packs of them here, if you look hard enough.

chiQ

Okay, I caved. I found Chop Chop on his own and bought him. I just need an air character now...and the twenty-odd other characters :/

Mdk7

A nice interview was posted at Gamasutra on the 16th.

Basically covers, how:
  • They had to choose a franchise from Vivendi to reinvent, so they chose Spyro.
  • Considered/worked on it playing like the original ones, or it been a gritty/dark remake...but none were promising
  • They made the toys/original concept internally..even with no knowledge of toy-making.
  • They did the best they could with the resources and time given (there were no promises of even it been made; just Activision trusting in them and pushing them into making some unique)
  • Bobby Kotick said that "the way this will win is if it's high quality", so more time and resources were given.

As noted earlier, originally the Syro game was knwn as 'Spyro's Kingdom" and:

It was then they started working on it and the toy concept...for the Wii. (original interview from June)
It would be cool to get a glimpse on that dark Spyro version... i'm kinda curious.

Zing

Banned
Something interesting, for me, anyway.

Most games from the PS2, GameCube, and Wii handle 16:9 in a crop manner. That is, when adjusting for a 16:9 TV, they just crop the top and bottom of the image, leaving the horizontal viewable area the same. So the "wide" image is not really wider. You don't see anything to the left or right that you do not see on a 4:3 TV, and in fact, you are missing parts of the image from the top and bottom on a 16:9 TV.

Skylanders doesn't do this. When I compare Skylanders set to 4:3 and then to 16:9, the top and bottom of the image are left alone. The game actually expands the viewable image to the left and right! So "wide" is indeed wider. This has the downside of lower performance. I could immediately tell that the framerate was lower. This is undoubtedly why most developers use the crop method, as making the viewable area wider means more polygons to render.

Despite the fact that I have a 4:3 TV, I now have my Wii set to 16:9 and use the "16:9 enhanced mode" (vertical compression) of my Sony Wega. This will allow me to see more of the screen, albeit in a slightly smaller window. A quick measuring of my screen shows that, in 16:9 mode, my 32" TV is equal to a 29" widescreen TV*. Fine with me.

*I know the math isn't completely correct. A 32" 4:3 TV should only show a ~26" 16:9 image, but there is some horizontal overscan on a CRT, so the aspect ratio is correct, even if the screen image measures slightly larger.

Zing

Banned
Okay, I caved. I found Chop Chop on his own and bought him. I just need an air character now...and the twenty-odd other characters :/

You didn't want to buy the Darklight Crypt? Ghost Roasters skull attack is borderline overpowered. I vastly prefer Chop Chop, though. He requires more skill to use.

chiQ

w00! I found Sonic Boom in our most crappy, budget variety store, tucked away at the bottom of a cabinet, right at the back, on the back wall of the shop. He's replaced Drobot as my favourite character. He's awesome. I'm not sure any other characters are going to get a lot of love for a while.

Oh, I'll be getting Darklight Crypt, but I liked the look of Chop Chop in the preview FMV, and I don't mind having multiple characters from each type.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In case you guys haven't seen, Amazon is matching TRU for 2 single packs for $10. Hopefully they match B1G1 3-packs later.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...1_grlink_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000751891

Got the PS3 and 3DS versions in yesterday and had a lot of fun with both. I'm concerned that the 3DS version might be too light on content, but what's there is some very solid platforming.

Thanks for posting--my son has been wanting Sonic Boom and Stump Smash.

Mdk7

So i eventually got it.
Played a couple of hours with my little cousin, i'm seriously surprised by the quality of the production and the amazing feel of the game.

Just to know... is Camo already available in the US?
I can't seem to find him anywhere in Italy (along with Double Troble, the other one i REALLY like and i want to own personally :D).

chiQ

I'm lugging my characters, portal, and game disk in to work each day now. I got one of the guys at work hooked, so we play at lunch.

BooJoh

Just to know... is Camo already available in the US?
I can't seem to find him anywhere in Italy (along with Double Troble, the other one i REALLY like and i want to own personally :D).

Neither of those is available quite yet. Hopefully around December 4th.

bodine1231

YES!! Found these this morning at Wal-Mart,no Hex though :( I'm going back and forth on whether to pick up the 3DS version...

ee13a349.jpg

Zing

Banned
Hex was already fun, but I just got her Skull Shield (soul gem upgrade) and she is pretty damn powerful.

At first, I questioned the utility of the wireless portal. I wondered why they didn't just have it be a cabled version. Having used it for the past month, I greatly appreciate the wireless aspect. The battery usage is negligible if you have rechargeable batteries.

I wonder why the Xbox 360 and PC versions don't have wireless portals. The wireless portal obviously works on a PC/Mac, as I have done it with the online game. The 360 obviously has a USB port. What gives?

Poker360

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting this, I'm just curious about the separate action figures.. I'm thinking about getting some of those as well with the Amazon 2 for $10 sale, but i don't know which ones to get? Any help appreciated.

chiQ

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting this, I'm just curious about the separate action figures.. I'm thinking about getting some of those as well with the Amazon 2 for $10 sale, but i don't know which ones to get? Any help appreciated.

My favourites seem to all be quadrupeds, though Gill Grunt is also pretty cool. Sonic Boom, Drobot, and Spyro are my top three, in that order, then Gill. This isn't necessarily because they're more powerful. It comes down to the feel of playing with them. All the characters are quite distinct, and these three are the ones I have the most fun with...and then the fish.

I'm sure other people will have their own ideas about which to get, and they will also have characters I don't have. I'm interested to know which characters others favour too.

BooJoh

Well the first thing to consider is elements. The game comes with Magic, Water, and Tech figures for consoles, and Magic, Fire, and Life for 3DS. To 100% the game you'll need one of each element. Undead and Earth can currently be bought in Adventure Packs if you're planning on getting those. If not, you're looking at Air, Life, Fire, Undead, and Earth for consoles. Air, Tech, Water, Undead, and Earth for 3DS.

If it's just a question of which are "better" then you can look at some of the posts in this thread, but it's really mostly about your playstyle. I prefer to be in the fray with melee or close-range attacks, so I really like those types. My favorites are Stealth Elf, Chop Chop, and Ignitor (although the latter two can be squishy sometimes) and Dino-Rang is a lot of fun so far.

You might want to just watch the "Meet the Skylanders" videos on youtube and see which ones look most fun to you. http://www.youtube.com/user/SkylandersGame

When does Warnado drop?

Current guess is December 4th, but that's just based on WalMart.com preorder entries.

fernoca

I think, as far as getting figures it mostly depends on what you like. I mean; there are no specifics "get this or get that" but for example, if you like how 'Voodood" looks, well, get it.

Each are relatively unique; so each play differently from each. Some, like Stealth Elf are fast and and their attacks are melee based; while others like Spyro are not as fast, but can "fly" and shoot fireballs. Ignitor is relatively small, but his attacks are a combination of swordplay and projectiles (a fireball...from his head).

If anything try to keep an eye out for the elements, in case you end liking all fire-ones; so that you can at least have some variety in your party.

Poker360

Thanks for all the help guys.

For now, i just got 2 extra characters (Stealth elf and sonic boom) along with the starter pack for 360.

Aponi

Why did no one tell me Invader Zim was in this game (Kaos)?! My husband was playing Mario 3DS and his head snapped up as soon as Kaos started talking. He's enjoying Flynn's voice-acting as well. The writing is really much better than I'd anticipated (though I imagine the Kaos head jokes don't really register with the trigger audience).

Both the PS3 and the 3DS version seem good, though I'm a bit concerned about the 3DS leveling my guys up a bit too fast, so there may be dedicated DS and console figurines for a bit. Oh well, it gives me a reason to buy two of every element!

NavNucST3

So, I went and ordered one of all of the available amazon.com characters (12?); great deal. Once again...I'm at the mercy of time as they are all for my son for Christmas; damn kids.

wylikat

Neo Member
Just got back from the toys r us 9PM black friday sale, where Skylanders were/are buy one get one free. Showed up at just before the doors opened, and the line looped all around the building and snaked back and forth in the loading dock. It moved pretty quickly and was inside the store within 30 mins. Skylanders were front and center as soon as you got inside... in retrospect maybe I should have checked back by the video games for a second display but I didn't want to be in there much longer at that point.

Single figures were destroyed, nothing but Voodoods and Stump Smashes left. I picked up the last of the three character backs and a pirate seas. Didn't see any legendary packs, Darklight Crypts, or any of the more recent releases. By the time I had checked out and walked past the display to exit, there was nothing but pirate seas and a few starter sets left.

bodine1231

Why did no one tell me Invader Zim was in this game (Kaos)?! My husband was playing Mario 3DS and his head snapped up as soon as Kaos started talking. He's enjoying Flynn's voice-acting as well. The writing is really much better than I'd anticipated (though I imagine the Kaos head jokes don't really register with the trigger audience).

Both the PS3 and the 3DS version seem good, though I'm a bit concerned about the 3DS leveling my guys up a bit too fast, so there may be dedicated DS and console figurines for a bit. Oh well, it gives me a reason to buy two of every element!

Yeah that's whats preventing me from getting the 3D version. I'm worried because you don't get any coins but you do get levels so when you play in the console version the character doesn't have any extra abilities. I really do want those extra figures though...

Zing

Banned
I'm worried because you don't get any coins but you do get levels so when you play in the console version the character doesn't have any extra abilities.

I find that gaining levels is easy, even in the console versions. If you have many figures, you can get up to a 200% experience rate. That plus going through levels repeatedly to 100% them and the heroic challenges means your characters are usually over-leveled. It's the gold that is hard to get. I have guys that are almost level 10 and still only have half their upgrades.

I finally played a few rounds in the arena against my friend last night. The winner gains both exp and gold. It is pretty fun.

For anyone in the UK waiting for the new Skylanders to arrive, you may want to take a trip to Toys R Us. I popped in while nearby today and found they had Hex, Dino-Rang and Wrecking Ball out on sale, seems they have started selling them way before the December 10th release date that Amazon UK is listing.

Passed by Best Buy earlier today and looks like they have Wrecking Ball, Dino-Rang, and Hex there now.

Didn't see any of the new 3-paks yet tho.

Zing

Banned
Finally got to play with Whirlwind yesterday and today. She is another one that starts weak but gets pretty strong with upgrades.

I was able to deal a lot of easy damage against Kaos with her. Throw a thundercloud his way and dodge the fire/lasers/balls while he gets shocked.

It seems that most of the Skylanders get ridiculously powered once you get near the end of the upgrades. Eruptor is to the point where he just walks into a room, does a single eruption, and kills everything with lava, fireballs, and volcanos. Sonic Boom with the roar upgrades walks in with a charged roar, hits everything, and shockwaves bounce off of the enemies and kill even more.

Just a FYI... I stopped by a GameStop, found Dino-Rang and Wrecking Ball there, and they were ringing up at the 2 for $10 price. Soooo made my day! They had Hex as well but I nabbed her from Target a couple of days ago.

bodine1231

Saw the new 3-pack today at Gamestop,it had only one of the new characters (wrecking-ball),already had them all but keep an eye out. Running out of shelf space....

5e8522dc.jpg

Aponi

Yeah that's whats preventing me from getting the 3D version. I'm worried because you don't get any coins but you do get levels so when you play in the console version the character doesn't have any extra abilities. I really do want those extra figures though...

I played a little with Ignitor in the console version (I'd previously reserved him for DS use), and I felt like he played just like a level 1 character for the most part. So now I can swap characters at will between the versions without worrying about over-leveling for the other game.

For the Heroic Challenges - is it possible to over-level the character so that the challenges become harder/impossible? My husband tried Drobot's last night using Drobot, and the double eye-lasers screwed him over. I'm not even sure it'd be possible to complete it as-is.

Lan_97

Got my first platinum trophy today with Skylanders. All the trophies were pretty easy to get, though the laser dodging one gave me some problems.

I think some sort of extra survival mode would be great for this game with co-op and online character specific leaderboards. With so many characters, skills, and hats it would provide a lot of replay value just to see how far different characters can get.

chiQ

My pirate pack arrived today, but my back is giving me hell so I probably won't be playing. Very annoying.

fernoca

Word of warning, for those holding out on buying it "later" for this Christmas:

SKYLANDERS RETAIL SHORTAGE

Kotick said that Activision's new holiday video game, "Skylanders," has outperformed expectations and may sell out in the United States this holiday season.

"(Skylanders) are in high demand. Retailers across the board are concerned that they will be out of inventory well before Christmas," Kotick said.

Activision might not be able to replenish supplies of the game in time to take advantage of the holiday rush.

"There's nothing we can do because they are made offshore and we can't get product made that quickly," he said.

At least one of the Toys R Us, Target and Best Buy stores in New Jersey were sold out of the Xbox version of the game last weekend, according to Brean Murray analyst Todd Mitchell.​

Reuters

Top Bottom